HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

vCash: 500
Did I watch a different player last year? Gagne was not awful when he came back. He was a fine 3rd liner with good speed and good D play. Why would people freak out if he was resigned cheaply?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Did I watch a different player last year? Gagne was not awful when he came back. He was a fine 3rd liner with good speed and good D play. Why would people freak out if he was resigned cheaply?
Because the mentality of most people here is that if we don't bring in a superstar on a cheap contract, it's not a good move

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:47 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
My point is there are plenty of options besides the same old retreads. It seems to be the Flyer way, bring back players when they are past their prime for what? Hes a 3W at BEST, who can't play the PP or PK. There are plenty of options available... just as an example here are 5 players who are UFA and their stats without names, which would you prefer?

Player 1
47 GP - 9 G, 14 A

Player 2
44 GP - 12 G, 14 A

Player 3
46 GP - 10 G, 12 A

Player 4
38 GP - 5 G, 11 A

Player 5
33 GP - 2 G, 12 A

They are all "veterans" and all have similar contracts.
They have similar contracts now but if they hit UFA I'm guessing the top 3 at least get a raise. The bottom two who knows. In Gagne you know exactly what you're gonna get, you know he want's to be here, is apparently willing to take a pay cut, has a cup to his name, and also brings the veteran leadership. I'm not trying to say whoever those players are aren't good but I don't see a problem with Gagne either.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Because the mentality of most people here is that if we don't bring in a superstar on a cheap contract, it's not a good move
Or if a player is over 30 he is finished and has no chance of remaining healthy or rebounding from a down year. 25-30 is risky because usually they have peaked by then and will see a drastic decline (I think the consensus is that Bobby Ryan is on the decline at the age of 26). 20-24 is really the only reasonable type of player to sign/acquire, oh and it has to be sub $3 million too.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

I would not mind bringing gags back for a good price, one of my all time favorite flyers.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

As I have said previously...Gagne is purely about nostalgia. I dont see much added value in retaining a player who plays on the perimeter as much as Gagne does now. Moreover, lots of health risks....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
As I have said previously...Gagne is purely about nostalgia. I dont see much added value in retaining a player who plays on the perimeter as much as Gagne does now. Moreover, lots of health risks....
Thank You! Somebody who thinks logically!

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Thank You! Somebody who thinks logically!
People have provided you with logical reason as to why they would offer him a one yr deal at a low salary. You not agreeing with the provided reasons does not mean they are illogical.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers need to fire Hanrahan and Holmgren and hire Hinkie on a part time basis then maybe this family run business BS where we recycle these former Flyer players that have questionable value ends!

I hope the Sixers succeed with Hinkie and Snider learns something from it b/c in today's cap world running a team like a family business is not prudent. You need to not have any loyalties and see players for what they are worth (analytics).

Hinkie wouldn't even consider a player like Gagne who will most likely spend most of his time injured or in the press box. There is a reason Sutter benched him.

Holmgren has said we need some size on the wings....Gagne is afraid of contact anymore.

Flyers would be better served giving a prospect a chance to earn a roster spot than to grant one to Gagne for him to eventually lose anyway...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:29 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Flyers need to fire Hanrahan and Holmgren and hire Hinkie on a part time basis then maybe this family run business BS where we recycle these former Flyer players that have questionable value ends!

I hope the Sixers succeed with Hinkie and Snider learns something from it b/c in today's cap world running a team like a family business is not prudent. You need to not have any loyalties and see players for what they are worth (analytics).

Hinkie wouldn't even consider a player like Gagne who will most likely spend most of his time injured or in the press box. There is a reason Sutter benched him.

Holmgren has said we need some size on the wings....Gagne is afraid of contact anymore.

Flyers would be better served giving a prospect a chance to earn a roster spot than to grant one to Gagne for him to eventually lose anyway...
Like who? Akeson? McGinn?

JDinklage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

I agree about firing Hanrahan, I have been saying this for years now. He is supposedly our "capologist" and people on here have a better understanding of the CBA contract rules than him. Shoot, even the Streit contract needed to be corrected. He fails miserably at his job, yet continues to work here. Homer I think gets this year, if they struggle, he is gone along with the coach.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Like who? Akeson? McGinn?
Hey did you ever think there might be a player that surprises in camp? Who knows who could surprise..there is always one. Why commit to some player who only plays a north south game like freaking Powe....dime a dozen. Even if people think he'll be more productive I still believe he will be in a suit off the ice more than suited up on the ice.

BTW..there might also be a better FA out there...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:33 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Gagne can match up very well against the other teams top line with Couturier. He has the speed, the two way play and from the sounds of things he would be willing to take a discount to stay on the Flyers. He would be a great leader to have around for the young guys as well.
I think this is the reason that we will resign him. I think 4-5 mil for 2 years is probably right. It's bit high for me considering what limited cap space we have remaining but Gags is still a decent 2-way forward and still a better option than guys like McGinn.

I think the lines will be something like this:

Hartnell - G - Voracek
Read - Schenn - Simmonds
Gags - Coots - Talbot/McGinn
Rinaldo - Laughton - McGinn/Talbot

I think we kick the tires on Vinnie but I just don't see us offering him the money he'll be looking for and hopefully we DON'T sign him. He's still a good player but honestly, where would we fit him in??? Schenn really should stay at center and if we do add Vinnie then there is no chance in hell of Coots moving up into the top 6 (again, where I believe he SHOULD be).

What I would like to see (but I know it'll never happen) would be for Schenn to play on the top line with Hartnell and Giroux. Hartnell and Schenn would do the dirty work in the corners in the offensive zone and G assumes the c enter responsibilities. In the defensive zone you let Schenn take on the center responsibilities (the more defensive minded on them) while G and Hartnell cover the corners and the points. I leaves G open for the breakout more, opening up the offense on that line, and Schenn can still be the defensive responsible on of the group.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Hey did you ever think there might be a player that surprises in camp? Who knows what could surprise..there is always one. Why commit to some player who only plays a north south game like freaking Powe....dime a dozen. Even if people think he'll be more productive I still believe he will be in a suit off the ice more than suited up on the ice.
I was just curious who you'd rather see, not trying to be a dick.

I am really hoping that we see something like Akeson, McGinn, Flanagan, even Raffl come out of camp and surprise us, like another Read situation.

JDinklage Morgoone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Gags has lost a step and while he's not as good defensively as he used to be, he's still far and away better than McGinn, Rinaldo, or any other "prospect" or young winger we have in the system. Gags reads the play and understands the NHL game far better than any of those other options. He'd be a good stabilizing presence on Coots line and Coots would be alone as the only solid defensive player on the 3rd line. THAT is the reason he should be a serious consideration for resigning.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Gags has lost a step and while he's not as good defensively as he used to be, he's still far and away better than McGinn, Rinaldo, or any other "prospect" or young winger we have in the system. Gags reads the play and understands the NHL game far better than any of those other options. He'd be a good stabilizing presence on Coots line and Coots would be alone as the only solid defensive player on the 3rd line. THAT is the reason he should be a serious consideration for resigning.
We'll have to disagree..and if he signs I can't wait to see the lamentations during the season. I hope I'm wrong but I still think we would be better served passing on him...

Old
07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Solefool

The fact that we are trying to bring him back makes me want to scream. What exactly did he provide for us last year?

Solefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
McNasty

I'm not saying we should pass on Gagne, but I would rather them wait and see what the market is before committing to him.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
phlocky

Quote:
We'll have to disagree..and if he signs I can't wait to see the lamentations during the season. I hope I'm wrong but I still think we would be better served passing on him...
I don't have huge expectations for Gags if we resign him but if we do I hope like hell I'm NOT wrong because that would be awful for the team.

I think he can come in and be a positive on Coots line and be kind of a mentor on the ice for him much the way Timonen has been with Coburn and Schenn.

I'm really one the fence with Gags. I can certainly see the reasons for NOT bringing him back and I can see the reasons FOR bringing him back. I think he can still be a positive player for us but if he's not brought back I won't really be upset.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solefool View Post
The fact that we are trying to bring him back makes me want to scream. What exactly did he provide for us last year?
Decent two way play. 11 points in 27 games with limited minutes (~11). The highest Corsi QoC on the team (barely above Couts, Read, and Talbot).

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
JGalt

I don't know what some of you guys were watching last season. Gags was playing some of the best hockey on the team. He's an ideal 3rd liner who can move around the lineup, play solid defense and provide a veteran presence while Laughton/Cousins work their way into full time spots in the lineup.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
People have provided you with logical reason as to why they would offer him a one yr deal at a low salary. You not agreeing with the provided reasons does not mean they are illogical.
Hes not signing a one year deal anywhere. Its going to be 2 or 3 years at a marginal salary. Salary really isn't the issue. The Flyers have cap space, but why would you settle just because he is Gagne? There are MUCH better players available for the same price range. You would rather have Gagne 2/5 or 3/7.5 than say Stalberg for 3/9 or 3/10? Just as an example, there are a ton of other valuable players who don't have Gagnes health concerns, or his lack of production. May I also note, that Gagne was a healthy scratch for quite a few games. And Gags was spending time on the 4th line as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt
I don't know what some of you guys were watching last season. Gags was playing some of the best hockey on the team.
So we should resign him because he was the best player on an under performing team?

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Hes not signing a one year deal anywhere. Its going to be 2 or 3 years at a marginal salary. Salary really isn't the issue. The Flyers have cap space, but why would you settle just because he is Gagne? There are MUCH better players available for the same price range. You would rather have Gagne 2/5 or 3/7.5 than say Stalberg for 3/9 or 3/10? Just as an example, there are a ton of other valuable players who don't have Gagnes health concerns, or his lack of production. May I also note, that Gagne was a healthy scratch for quite a few games. And Gags was spending time on the 4th line as well.

So we should resign him because he was the best player on an under performing team?
But we shouldn't sign him because Akeson scored a goal in his only game and McGinn played ok in the few odd games he was with us?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
I don't know what some of you guys were watching last season. Gags was playing some of the best hockey on the team. He's an ideal 3rd liner who can move around the lineup, play solid defense and provide a veteran presence while Laughton/Cousins work their way into full time spots in the lineup.
I think coots played his best hockey of the season when Gags was on his wing.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:34 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
But we shouldn't sign him because Akeson scored a goal in his only game and McGinn played ok in the few odd games he was with us?
I love the Akeson and McGinn strawmen that keep getting propped up..

Once again the market might reveal some better FA options and also we may have some other players that could surprise in camp...