HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x BEUKEBOOM x View Post
Ulfie = Cooke? No way.

Marchment left Ulfie in the dust as far as dirty contemporaries.
Yeah for sure.

The game was diffrent and Ulf was diffrent. Ulf played in the NHL from 1984. To a much bigger extent than cheapshooting, he broke unwritten rules and never backed down despite being one of the prime targets in the league. He was a Swede with a large visor who wouldn't back down against anyone and really punished players during play, then wouldn't fight after the whistle blew. Turtled alot. Drew alot of penalties.

People not not being a fan of him has written his history and it is what it is. He was also extremely fearless, one of the better shotblockers in the league, he would constantly skate over to the other side of the ice around the defensive blueline and dive head first into the boards right infront of a winger taking the puck, stick and legs with him. He had a thing for diving head first into the boards skating at full speed.

Our Ds are a bit passive and not that physical. I think Ulfie will be able to push them a little.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Our Ds are a bit passive and not that physical. I think Ulfie will be able to push them a little.
I think a lot of that came from Renney and Tortorella's collapsing defensive style and the idea that you should be in position to block shots/prevent passes rather than going after the puck and taking it away.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:04 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah for sure.

The game was diffrent and Ulf was diffrent. Ulf played in the NHL from 1984. To a much bigger extent than cheapshooting, he broke unwritten rules and never backed down despite being one of the prime targets in the league. He was a Swede with a large visor who wouldn't back down against anyone and really punished players during play, then wouldn't fight after the whistle blew. Turtled alot. Drew alot of penalties.

People not not being a fan of him has written his history and it is what it is. He was also extremely fearless, one of the better shotblockers in the league, he would constantly skate over to the other side of the ice around the defensive blueline and dive head first into the boards right infront of a winger taking the puck, stick and legs with him. He had a thing for diving head first into the boards skating at full speed.

Well said. I am sick of people disparaging Ulfie's career. Guys going on 3rd hand information saying he was the Cooke of his day when they never saw him play a game in their lives is just ridiculous to me. He, as you said, was absolutely fearless. I loved watching him play. Was one of my favorite players as a kid. I actually emulated his game (as much as a forward could) when I played. Block shots, play hard, play nasty, push the envelope a bit between clean and dirty.

So much misinformation out there that cannot be gleaned through a stat sheet or through hearsay.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:05 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I'm not sure you can take anything from anything that went on during Scott Howsons reign in Columbus. Definition of a poisonous culture. Arniels and Brassards issues may have stemmed from that, even if neither realized it at the time. Different world in NYC.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:38 PM
BwayBshirt

I see the situation regarding Arniel & Brassard as this:

-Arniel was in over his head as the HC. Which means he did/said things that probably would have liked to do over again or handled better.

-It was a depressing environment in Columbus at the time.

Simple as that.

Plenty of bad or mediocre HC's make great assistants, which isn't always the case. I'm sure this will not be an issue.

And if Brown is part of the staff too, then it's a complete non-issue.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

ACs are expendable. If issue arises, persists, Arniel is gone like a cake in a fat kid's pantry.

I do see a problem between Brassard and Arniel. Brassard is what do people call it to be politically correct? Very Quebecois....

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:44 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Sullivan did a great job with the defensemen. It was the PP where he fell short.

I love that they're bringing Ulf in, as long as they bring in someone else for the PP. The Rangers could use more snarl, especially on the back-end. I think his disposition will even rub off on some of the forwards.
I agree for the most part.

Outside of MDZ, who I'm pretty much apathetic about right now, Sullivan was good for the D.

But it will be nice to have a guy like Ulf who presumably will stress toughness as well as better puck possession.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

I fear we may be going over board with notions of puck possession or "offensive game" whether it's just in our discussions or in reflection of coaching changes.

Everything in the last 30 days has been nothing but puck posession

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:49 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
ACs are expendable. If issue arises, persists, Arniel is gone like a cake in a fat kid's pantry.

I do see a problem between Brassard and Arniel. Brassard is what do people call it to be politically correct? Very Quebecois....
lol Yeah I know what you mean there. I live with it.

But if Arniel is the "eye in the sky" coach like we all would like to assume, then I think there will be little interaction between he & Brassard.

I would think that Brown will be communicating more with Brass if hired, and Arniel basically would be dealing with AV.

Old
07-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Kershaw

Arniel vs. Brassard/Nash

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:19 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
lol Yeah I know what you mean there. I live with it.

But if Arniel is the "eye in the sky" coach like we all would like to assume, then I think there will be little interaction between he & Brassard.

I would think that Brown will be communicating more with Brass if hired, and Arniel basically would be dealing with AV.
This is a very good point.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Captain Monglobster

I'll always remember the Ulf Samuelsson special: Battling for the puck along the boards with a forward. Both players facing the boards. Ulf pushes the forwards helmet down over his eyes from behind. Ulf wins puck. Forward slashes Ulf. Rangers get PP.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:41 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Arniel would definitely be an interesting choice. I don't really have much else to say except it's time to sit and wait

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Rangers79

Does anyone have a link to the Scott Arniel news? Haven't seen anything.

Rangers79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:07 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I can't imagine Rangers management making a decision like this without having a firm grasp on the Nash/Brassard and Arniel relationship. Have to trust the brass here.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 32s
#NYR Expect Scott Arniel to join Ulf Samuelsson on Alain Vigneault's coaching staff

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Jim Jamieson ‏@JamiesonCanucks 4m
Just spoke with Scott Arniel and he confirmed will join Alain Vigneault as associate coach with NY Rangers, but contract not signed yet.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Confirmed: Scott Arniel has signed a contract to join Alain Vigneault's staff with New York Rangers
https://twitter.com/garylawless/stat...33051591032832

The Rangers beat writers are all over this.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Nice. How many assistants can there be? Any room for Brown still? Or are two assistants the maximum?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Swedish paper had the Samuelsson hiring. A Vancouver radio station tweeted Arniel was joining Vigneault in New York. The people who cover this team are in the dark. A different time zone.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I went and did a little digging...

From the CBJ board:
The "Fire Arniel" thread (may be some tidbits in there)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1006117

What is wrong with Brassard? thread (from the same time period)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1043799

Link to article where Brass' agent rips Arniel:
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...t-unloads.html

Quote:
Allan Walsh "While I have tremendous respect for (general manager) Scott Howson and the rest of Columbus' management team, the situation regarding Derick Brassard has become untenable. The coach has a history of burying players and using them as scapegoats to mask his own lack of success on the ice. Derick has been singled out, almost from the very beginning of the season, to be the fall guy in case things don't go well. The Columbus organization cares about Derick and has been good to him, but at some point, one has to say, enough is enough."
It will be interesting to see how things play out in NY. Brassard's performances seem to directly depend on how he feels about things.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I went and did a little digging...

From the CBJ board:
The "Fire Arniel" thread (may be some tidbits in there)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1006117

What is wrong with Brassard? thread (from the same time period)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1043799

Link to article where Brass' agent rips Arniel:
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...t-unloads.html

It will be interesting to see how things play out in NY. Brassard's performances seem to directly depend on how he feels about things.
Are we supposed to put any stock in anyone who would have respect for Howson and his management team -- one of the worst executive teams in the history of the NHL?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Regarding Samuelsson, its interesting how history re-writes itself due to circumstances -- better yet, I wonder how people would feel about Samuelsson if he hadnt become a Ranger and/or wasnt just named an assistant coach.

In other words, the comparison to Cooke is a pretty good parallel. We can argue semantics all day, but the foundation of being cheap shot artists who refused to answer the bell after the whistle are shared by both.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Oh, it wasn't just Brassard; he was just the one who got noticed because Allan Walsh is a publicity *****. It was everybody. Let's just say that over here in Columbus we're... skeptical of the Arniel decision.

Pro tip: don't mention "piling on" to him. He might not take it well:

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
beukeboom is already on the case.
Ive been away a while so forgive my ignorance, but, are you saying Beuke's been tutoring McI? That's cool if so

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Regarding Samuelsson, its interesting how history re-writes itself due to circumstances -- better yet, I wonder how people would feel about Samuelsson if he hadnt become a Ranger and/or wasnt just named an assistant coach.

In other words, the comparison to Cooke is a pretty good parallel. We can argue semantics all day, but the foundation of being cheap shot artists who refused to answer the bell after the whistle are shared by both.
Pretty much. To say Samuelsson wasn't a dirty player is just laughable.

The king of knee-on-knees

Last edited by Kershaw: 07-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote