HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Conroy for on 2nd line ?

Old
10-22-2006, 02:49 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Conroy isn't really an option, IMO. You could have talked about dealing Ribeiro for him once upon a time, maybe. But instead we felt that our depth on D was a bigger issue than the 2nd line C issue, and we took on Niinimaa's contract instead. So now there just isn't room for Conroy. And maybe that's not such a bad thing... 35, 1 assist, and the kicker, the absolute killer: another year at $2.4M left after this year. Just looking at the thread about our UFA situation next summer, well, having Conroy's deal stuck on the books would just be more headaches. He was a good player, and I'd suggest he could still be a useful player... sort of like Bonk is for us right now... but we've already got Bonk. No need to clone him, and particularly not when we have no cap solution for the move to begin with. Non-starter, IMO.
I read your projected cap summary, and also didn't realize that conroy was signed for another year, so, no, it'd be tough to do if you want to keep Ryder, and have a strong defense. Too bad.

Regarding our side discussion of Perezhogin and Plekanec, while I don't know this, I suspect that having Muller there re-inforcing trhat they are contributing while not putting points is invaluable. I can see him really helping the younger forwards in this respect.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
that would mean bonk on the 4th line again. I don't know if i'd want him there given how well he has played on the 3rd.

Give Pleks his chance.

Even the Beatles are with you on this one...

Quote:
All we are saying is give Pleks a chance,
All we are saying is give Pleks a chance
C'mon

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:28 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Rumour is Los Angles is shopping him .
2nd line center we could desperatly use .
$2.394 million . He is Cabro type player
I'd definailty love Conroy on this team

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=303407
We had a guy which was cheaper and have already 7 points in 7 games. His name: Mike Ribeiro. Not a bad second-line center.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:32 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'd love to have Conroy. he should've never left. I think he's a natural for our 2nd line. I think though, Doug, that we should ban phrases like 'Carbo, or Gainey type player. All the coaches in the league appreciate hard working 2 way players. Let's ban that one and maybe, 'since we all know that Sheldon wants to play in California'.
So Mac you would rather have Conroy then Shelly. I not putting words in your mouth just wondering if that is what you are hinting at?????????

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
We had a guy which was cheaper and have already 7 points in 7 games. His name: Mike Ribeiro. Not a bad second-line center.
Points production is not everything

The good of trading Ribeiro outweight the bad as far as i'm concerned .And that's even if he finish the season in Dallas with 70 + pts.

Did you notice how much the team spirit and chemistry seem to have improved since the three amigos are gone ? I know that it's only 7 games into the season but we have a record of 4-1-2 so far without Ribs and that's encouraging.

As far as Conroy is concerned , with his size , defensive awareness , hard work and somehow decent salary (plus UFA at the end of the season if he bust here) i would gladly welcome him back on this team.The problem is that i'm not willing to see one of our prospect go the other way in a trade for him and i'm afraid that this is what the Kings would ask.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Pax Macioretty

ask psycho papa joe, you guys do me a fvaor and don't even post that on the trade rumors board, a Kings fan( i think) said that we would have to give up Price, Kostitsyn, Latendresse and a 1st cause he would be the missing part for us to get closer to the cup, as for Conroy himself, i'd do the trade, something like Pleckanek and a 3rd

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
it not always about points . you and i both know why he isnt here.
not because he wasnt given the chance either .

attitude means alot and toxic to locker room means something also

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 07:30 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Conroy isn't really an option, IMO. You could have talked about dealing Ribeiro for him once upon a time, maybe. But instead we felt that our depth on D was a bigger issue than the 2nd line C issue, and we took on Niinimaa's contract instead. So now there just isn't room for Conroy. And maybe that's not such a bad thing... 35, 1 assist, and the kicker, the absolute killer: another year at $2.4M left after this year. Just looking at the thread about our UFA situation next summer, well, having Conroy's deal stuck on the books would just be more headaches. He was a good player, and I'd suggest he could still be a useful player... sort of like Bonk is for us right now... but we've already got Bonk. No need to clone him, and particularly not when we have no cap solution for the move to begin with. Non-starter, IMO.
Didn't realize Conroy had 2 years left to his contract. Everything I had read mentioned one. If true that changes things. Well you could argue he'll get back to form and if he is his 2.4M won't look bad at all, but that said this would involve getting rid of some salary both now to take on Conroy's contract and next summer to compensate for this extra contract and still be able to sign the key UFAs.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Side View Post
Points production is not everything

The good of trading Ribeiro outweight the bad as far as i'm concerned .And that's even if he finish the season in Dallas with 70 + pts.

Did you notice how much the team spirit and chemistry seem to have improved since the three amigos are gone ? I know that it's only 7 games into the season but we have a record of 4-1-2 so far without Ribs and that's encouraging.

As far as Conroy is concerned , with his size , defensive awareness , hard work and somehow decent salary (plus UFA at the end of the season if he bust here) i would gladly welcome him back on this team.The problem is that i'm not willing to see one of our prospect go the other way in a trade for him and i'm afraid that this is what the Kings would ask.
Ribeiro alone would NOT had been able to destroy this so-called chemistry. I think this chemistry is due more to the presence of Carbo & Muller behind the bench than by having Ribeiro in the line-up.

Last edited by habitue*: 10-22-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old
10-22-2006, 08:05 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillaume the great! View Post
ask psycho papa joe, you guys do me a fvaor and don't even post that on the trade rumors board, a Kings fan( i think) said that we would have to give up Price, Kostitsyn, Latendresse and a 1st cause he would be the missing part for us to get closer to the cup, as for Conroy himself, i'd do the trade, something like Pleckanek and a 3rd
We don't need Conroy ! Period.

Old
10-22-2006, 08:08 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Conroy is getting ancient, and is also an unproven value. Pass.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
So Mac you would rather have Conroy then Shelly. I not putting words in your mouth just wondering if that is what you are hinting at?????????
No, more I was talking about expressions that we overuse.

How many times do we see , 'Gainey [Carbo] type player'

Responsible,hard working 2 way players are everyone's type of player.

The "Sheldon wants to go to California" thing is the oft repeated comment we see in every trade proposal that has been said so often, some have started to believe it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:47 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Yeah, I like your comparison for Plekanec (Brylin), though I think Plekanec's got a little more offensive flair and strength to his game, but he's a guy you can see playing in all sorts of situations in different positions.

Perezhogin's got a pretty nice release on his wrister. He isn't afraid of going to the net and sets shop in the high slot while his linemates are cycling. Sometimes you see him about to put it all together to make a terrific shift.

I think Plekanec's out of his comfort zone right now while Perezhogin's not being challenged enough to bring it offensively. But who knows, if Ribeiro was still around I might be saying the same thing about Plekanec not being challenged enough offensively..
I like your thinking!

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 12:50 AM
katodelder

Getting Niinimaa may have ended any chance of getting Conroy.

My reasoning is that because the Habs are so close to the cap, they'd have to wait until the trade deadline to acquire him. However I think he won't last until then. Conroy could be this year's Doug Weight. A team with more cap space than the Habs will probably make a pre-emptive strike and trade for him as early as November or December like Carolina did last year.

The Habs would have to act fast if they really want Conroy, and would have to trade away a $2 million player to L.A. The Kings may not go for that, and want only cheaper prospects and picks in return.

katodelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 01:06 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Can't say I'd mind having a guy like Conroy if the price is right! It would take another opportunity from a youngster who might be ready but damn, in my opinion Conroy is welcome on the Habs any day! Definitely wouldn't give up much for him though.
You mean welcomed back anyday..

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:55 AM
wedge

I would love him on our 2nd line, but I don't think we would have the cap space for him. I would also be disappointed to see Bonk going back to the 4th line as he's played so well so far this year.

This damn 2nd line is the only problem again...

but I don'T care, as long as we're winning...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote