HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 09:58 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Give Mac a scholarship to the University of Phoenix (online college) and send him to London.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:01 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
London is a good program that will allow him to play his game, but I'm debating if college is better for his hockey skills. Ultimately, I think London is where he'll end up. The Hunters seem to know how to churn players out, they'll bring him on slowly if needed. Give him the two years there so he has more time to develop his less...........brutesque abilities on top of the obvious.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
At 25 I like the fact that Timmins took a risk and drafted the best available for a specific need. Last year he drafted plenty of skill and JDR is going to be a special player so this pick makes a lot of sense to me.

With his size and development curve this could be a homerun or a risk that doens't pan out. Everyone knows the draft is a crap shoot but in 3-4 years teams defensemen could actually be scared to play MTL and that chance is worth the risk in this pick for me.
I think it's worth the pick too. Size like this is rare and he's a guy who's actually been rising on the charts. If he grows into his frame, it's a homerun. Even if he doesn't we probably still got an NHL player. I'm happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a risk? I think when you look at his size you think he fits into the pre-conceived notion of being a project.

But the guy can play, he just happens to be very, very big...

I was very excited to hear Murray's comments on 990 today

Even if he becomes a 3rd liner who can bang/crash and chip in offense, that's fine
At 25th overall, you're lucky to get an NHL player to begin with. So no, it's not much of a risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well, it's "safe" to the extent that there's good odds he could at least be the next Blunden. After that anything is possible.
He'll be better than Blunden. Hell, he could eat Blunden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
He said he'd consult with Habs to where they wanted him to play.

It would be hard not to go to London with the Hunters while playing on a line with Domi and Horvat.

Better line mates, better team and a better NHL simulation than London.
That's cool but I hope the emphasis is on skill and he's not just out there to protect those guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
McCarron is likely never going to be the fighter Lucic is. Though, Lucic is nowhere close to the straight line skater McCarron is.
He doesn't have to fight like Lucic. I just hope he's a better player. If nothing else we've got a guy who can stand in front of the net for guys like Galchenyuk.
Quote:
Well even Pronman, who the toughness brigade here often dismisses because he values puck possession and skill over toughness and intangibles and uses a lot of advanced stats for his methodology, believes this guy has top 6 upside and a good deal of offensive skill (he also has him ranked 47th overall for what it's worth).

There's a chance he ends up nothing more than a plug or worse, as there is with every pick, this one more than most but we had good luck with a project a few years ago in Tinordi, and I can accept a forward version of Tinordi even if isn't an outstanding offensive player.
Even if he just goes to the net, it will be great for us. We need this dimension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourdon101 View Post
The thing I've seen and have heard from many people that concern me the most is his release. It is slow, but the shot is powerful. In the nhl he may not have the time to use this asset of his play. If he cannot get a better release he cannot snipe, that is clear to me. And thus it will be hard for him to be the 30 goal scorer that Lucic and other PF's are.
Its a small but very important thing in today's nhl where shooting lanes are quickly filled and goalies are well positioned.
The guy doesn't have to be too flashy. He can score garbage goals ala Tim Kerr or Esposito. No he won't score 50 but he can get dirty goals and help screen the net for others.
Quote:
I heard this too.

The biggest thing that stands out about Lucic skill-wise is his release. While his brute strength obviously helps, the reason Lucic was able to improve so much is how quick his release is.

Supposedly McCarron has more overall offensive talent than Lucic did at the same age, but with a slow release he will struggle to be a plus offensive player. You can't be a power forward at the NHL level if you can't get your shot off.
Yes you can. You can stand in front of the net and score from there. Deadly shot is important for a finesse guy. For a PF who plays two feet in front of the net, not so much.

Obviously we want his shot to improve, but it's not as big a deal as it would be if he were a Galchenyuk type player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
People here seem to play this guy up because he was drafted by the Canadians. If he was so good with this size he would have gone tops ten. The only reason he went in the first is because of his size. If he was six feet 180 he would go much much later. Go ahead blast me

The Canadians wasted a first round pick for a maybe fourth liner.

What a disgrace
And if your dad had breasts he'd be your mom.

Dude, the guy is six foot six, 250. That can't be ignored. Of course he would've been drafted lower if he was smaller... but, he's not smaller. He's a monster. You pay a premium for this.

And how the **** is this a disgrace?

The disgrace has been watching a bunch of smurfs try to win something and get pushed all over the ice for several years. Yet for some reason you want to complain about getting this guy? Give your head a shake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Check the old draft threads. Grant was adamant that getting him at 25 would be a great pick. You could also just go to grant's profile and search for all posts ever made by him and sift through them.
So, I'm on these boards a lot and I thought I was pretty familiar with most of these posters.

Who the hell is Grant?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I think him going to London is the right choice. You want him to learn how to fight and you want him to play in a league where he will be allowed to throw big checks without being penalized for it all the time. The Hunters have an excellent track record with developing prospects and there is no harm in him going there.

If he does round out a line with Horvat-Domi, he will get to learn how to play with top talents, another thing we want him to learn how to do before he gets to the NHL level. He will be able to perform the role for them we will want him to perform for the likes of the Gally's in the coming seasons.

Most of all, he's going to learn how to win. This is the team that will be going to the Memorial Cup for the 3rd straight season, he'll play a lot of hockey, he'll win a lot of games and I want that thirst for winning to be instilled in our team. One thing is for sure, we've got a lot of winners coming into the organization.. Collberg, Fucale, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis and Bournival. I really hope that I can add Mike to the list. We want competitors and winners.
My only concern is that he gets typecast as a pure enforcer. I wouldn't be happy with this. I want the guy to learn the game and hone his skills. I don't want us to train him to be a goon. That would be a complete waste of time.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:10 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I read an article that if he goes to Murray, he'll become a better player and if he goes to London he'll become a better fighter.

I'd prefer we focus on him becoming a better player.
That presupposes that he will become a better player in WM than in London, and I'm not entirely sure that's true. He needs to continue to develop his skills, yes, but I think he'll do that in London. How successful a player he will be, though, depends on more than that, IMO.

Quote:
On the positive side, players with size sometimes aren't projected to do much and develop over time. Corey Perry, Lucic... both guys that weren't seen as being great. One thing about size is that no matter what you have that behind you. You can't teach six foot six and 250 pounds. You either have it or you don't. So maybe this guy just has to grow into his body.

If it is a reach right now, there's certainly reason to do it. And let's face it, these are the kinds of gambles you can take when you're drafting at 25th overall. It's not like we passed over Seth Jones to take him.
I think this is a good point. Furthermore, I think that how skilled you have to be in order to be successful as a behemoth is quite different than how skilled you have to be to make it at 5'9. I think offensive upside means something a little different when you're bigger and stronger than almost every single other player.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:14 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Was looking through his old tweets and he said: if he was on the wings he would beat the crap out of shaw then punch bickells teeth in. LOL
Bodes well!!

Hoping he goes to London as well. The only benefit to the NCAA route for him, would be that he'd have more time to work on his body.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:22 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Quote:
Are they contenders for the cup this year?
Of course. London is hosting the Memorial Cup. They are absolutely loaded with quality NHL pospects. Domi, Horvat, Tierney, Anderson, Elie, Platzer and Rupert are all NHL drafted players up front and should all be back, although Domi or Horvat could MAYBE stick in the NHL. Zadorov and Maatta should be back to anchor their defence, can't see either one being in the NHL. Stolarz, a 2nd rounder of the Flyers, should be their #1 G.

The one thing they need is some more size up front, McCarron would fit in nicely.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
aresknights

If McC chooses London he won't be asked to fight every game. There are league rules that have suspensions handed out for every fight after 10. I'd bet he doesn't even get to there in a 68 game sched. But he will be able to do it occasionally.
Hunters can develop talent. Nash, Perry, Bolland, Kane, Gagner, Horvat, Domi.
He'll get to play with high level 1st rd NHL talent.
Extended season- 85-90 games. They are hosting the Memorial Cup. Will have a championship calibre squad.
Lots of high quality training options in London ( many an NHLer spends summers In The area for that reason.)
Top physio/ trainer-worked with many Canadian international teams
University town

Go get him Mr Hunter

Hopefully Prust and Tinner also let him know how great a spot London is for an 18yr old apprenticing hockey player

Old
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Of course. London is hosting the Memorial Cup. They are absolutely loaded with quality NHL pospects. Domi, Horvat, Tierney, Anderson, Elie, Platzer and Rupert are all NHL drafted players up front and should all be back, although Domi or Horvat could MAYBE stick in the NHL. Zadorov and Maatta should be back to anchor their defence, can't see either one being in the NHL. Stolarz, a 2nd rounder of the Flyers, should be their #1 G.

The one thing they need is some more size up front, McCarron would fit in nicely.
Any potential 2014 draftee?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
That presupposes that he will become a better player in WM than in London, and I'm not entirely sure that's true. He needs to continue to develop his skills, yes, but I think he'll do that in London. How successful a player he will be, though, depends on more than that, IMO.

I think this is a good point. Furthermore, I think that how skilled you have to be in order to be successful as a behemoth is quite different than how skilled you have to be to make it at 5'9. I think offensive upside means something a little different when you're bigger and stronger than almost every single other player.
I'm not convinced it's true either. My only misgiving is that he goes there and gets typecast.
Quote:

If he's the only big guy, then he's going to do a lot of fighting probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
If McC chooses London he won't be asked to fight every game. There are league rules that have suspensions handed out for every fight after 10. I'd bet he doesn't even get to there in a 68 game sched. But he will be able to do it occasionally.
Hunters can develop talent. Nash, Perry, Bolland, Kane, Gagner, Horvat, Domi.
He'll get to play with high level 1st rd NHL talent.
Extended season- 85-90 games. They are hosting the Memorial Cup. Will have a championship calibre squad.
Lots of high quality training options in London ( many an NHLer spends summers In The area for that reason.)
Top physio/ trainer-worked with many Canadian international teams
University town

Go get him Mr Hunter

Hopefully Prust and Tinner also let him know how great a spot London is for an 18yr old apprenticing hockey player
Well that's good to hear.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:35 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I think Owen MacDonald (small feisty, skill F) Centarome, DiLorenzo on D. J Jammes also an option.
Won't be highly rated and will be in tough to get PT on this squad so not sure if/when they'd go.
Marner a highly skilled rook should get a look as well but not draft eligible
Mark will add some older, probably already drafted talent as well

Old
07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
dcal64

I would hate to be McCarron's billet in London, the guy his huge and apparently loves food.

Would cost a fortune to feed him.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

Quote:
That and aresknights would know more than me, but I've read good things about a forward by the name of Jacob Jammes.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Galcherock
Scouting for size

Quote:

Dude, the guy is six foot six, 250. That can't be ignored. Of course he would've been drafted lower if he was smaller... but, he's not smaller. He's a monster. You pay a premium for this.

And how the **** is this a disgrace?

The disgrace has been watching a bunch of smurfs try to win something and get pushed all over the ice for several years. Yet for some reason you want to complain about getting this guy? Give your head a shake.
You just resumed very well the last 20 years in habsland. Happy that Bergevin and co. are now taking care of this problem. Mccarron will help us on ANY line he will play on.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:39 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
I think Owen MacDonald (small feisty, skill F) Centarome, DiLorenzo on D. J Jammes also an option.
Won't be highly rated and will be in tough to get PT on this squad so not sure if/when they'd go.
Marner a highly skilled rook should get a look as well but not draft eligible
Mark will add some older, probably already drafted talent as well
Do you see McCarron play on the same line than Domi or Horvat? I think they play on the same line anyways.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:40 AM
aresknights

"If he's the only big guy, then he's going to do a lot of fighting probably"
The Hunters haven't had a goon it up team for a while.
They'll do it by committee if neccessary. Zadarov is huge and plays a hard, mean, physical game and only dropped em a handful of times all year. McC won't be asked to be a goon- bank it

Old
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

Quote:
Do you see McCarron play on the same line than Domi or Horvat? I think they play on the same line anyways.
From what I've seen, they usually split them up. My guess is McCarron could replace Seth Griffith on Domi's line.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Domi and Horvat rarely played on the same line the last 2 yrs. ( memorial cup beauty goal aside)
Dale likes to mix em up but usually keeps them apart.
Not sure where McC will fit in ( I expect Mark adds a high end F ) but he will get minutes and PP time I'm sure.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
From what I've seen, they usually split them up. My guess is McCarron could replace Seth Griffith on Domi's line.
Quote:
Domi and Horvat rarely played on the same line the last 2 yrs. ( memorial cup beauty goal aside)
Dale likes to mix em up but usually keeps them apart.
Not sure where McC will fit in ( I expect Mark adds a high end F ) but he will get minutes and PP time I'm sure.
Thanks guys.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Fatguy266

Quote:
Who the hell is Grant?
Grant McCagg= https://twitter.com/grantmccagg

Quite a informative poster IMO.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
They'll do it by committee if neccessary. Zadarov is huge and plays a hard, mean, physical game and only dropped em a handful of times all year. McC won't be asked to be a goon- bank it
True. The Hunters devellop talents and make them pros. 2years there saved Tinordi 2 years of devellopment. If the same can be done for a massive powerr forward than all the better.

Not to mention, he may not even need to fight based solely on the intimidation factor. I'm a big guy, but this guy is a mountain, I can see tons of wanna be goons back down.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguy266 View Post
Grant McCagg= https://twitter.com/grantmccagg

Quite a informative poster IMO.
Thanks.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:03 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
If he didn't, would he have really asked Timmins and Bergevin what they think he should do between going to London or going to WM?
Why not, its called courtisy. It took a lot to convinced Tinordi. But he listened. Again i am not saying he wouldnt want. some people rather stay in their country as long as they can (for scholarship family or whatever other personal reason), see Kristo.

Btw i definitely would rather have him in London. So much more games and more visibility. Would make him quicker an NHL player than the college route imo.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 07-02-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old
07-02-2013, 11:58 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcal64 View Post
I would hate to be McCarron's billet in London, the guy his huge and apparently loves food.

Would cost a fortune to feed him.
Who do you think will host him if he comes to Montreal in 2/3 years?

Old
07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
East Side Mario's

Old
07-02-2013, 12:04 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Maybe PK after he signs his new deal would be able afford feeding him?

Closed Thread