HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's fix the fourth line by calling up Lapierre (or Chipchura?)

Old
10-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Habitant#1

vCash: 500
Let's fix the fourth line by calling up Lapierre (or Chipchura?)

We all know Begin is better at the wing so let's call up a centre to plat between him and Lats. I think it should be Lapierre because he's more NHL ready and he's a better skater. His style is similar to Begin's so I think he would learn more on the fourth line than Chipchura would.

What do you think?

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post
We all know Begin is better at the wing so let's call up a centre to plat between him and Lats. I think it should be Lapierre because he's more NHL ready and he's a better skater. His style is similar to Begin's so I think he would learn more on the fourth line than Chipchura would.

What do you think?
I think we should just go with the current winning lineup until such time as injuries or an extended roadtrip with the bare minimum really force our hand in calling up somebody.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:12 AM
jcpenny

Lapierre is simply better tha Murray and Downey and should be in the NHL. Like i said in the other thread, a Latendresse-Bégin-Lapierre line would be great...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Murray deserves a chance. He was good last year, even a 3rd line role, and last night he played the body and made a number of good defensive plays. Those guys will get their chance at some point this year, but it doesn't seem that their time is right now.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 11:52 AM
BJCOLLINS

in todays NHL a good pk guy is a valuable asset GMurray is that.......look at our pk record so far this season, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

It was great to see that line check last night, Lats played like he was playing in the pre-season and looked good.

I think you're right though Lapierre will be the first call-up this year. It'll be fun to watch and see if he can bring the same intensity he's shown in the AHL to the bigs.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:23 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
in todays NHL a good pk guy is a valuable asset GMurray is that.......look at our pk record so far this season, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

It was great to see that line check last night, Lats played like he was playing in the pre-season and looked good.

I think you're right though Lapierre will be the first call-up this year. It'll be fun to watch and see if he can bring the same intensity he's shown in the AHL to the bigs.

I agree 100% Murry's 5+ minutes shorthanded were very important to the Canadiens he helped create that Rivet goal when sealing off the defender inside the Canadiens blue line. Little unselfish plays like that coach’s notice.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
KaptainKourage*

We also may use a Bégin - Lapierre - Murray line for a game or too, just to see what it could look like, use Downey for tough game (boston, toronto, philly) and see if we keep Lappy or not

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I think we should just go with the current winning lineup until such time as injuries or an extended roadtrip with the bare minimum really force our hand in calling up somebody.
There are multiple threads smilar to this one about changing the lineup with various call-ups, trades, line shuffling etc. I'm with you BG [ not the gm ] and those who believe there's no point in fixing something that isn't broken.

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 12:59 PM
hab

That would make perfect sense. I saw lappiere last friday and he looks great... big,

physical, very involved, and provides some offence. Our fourth line is really the

only weak point of our offence, they really have created nothing except a couple

of hits sinse the season started.... just an observation. I dont see murray as a

solution because he simply has no offensive game at all... not even in the AHL.

As for chipper, a year in the AHL would be beneficial.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:04 PM
wedge

helloooooo we are 4-1-2. Why would we change anything????

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant#1 View Post

What do you think?

why mess with anything right now?

the second line seemed to finally come together last night .

the 4th line will start to come together .really you dont expect much offense from your 4th anyways . if there do it's only a bonus . There getting there chances

you have to realise also there probally playing a little diffrent due to Latendresse and trying to cover up for him as he makes his adjustments .

Latendresse last night had his best game imho . i like the fact there breaking him in slowwwwwwwww .

Lapierre will get his chance althought i dont see it at the expense of Murray .

It will take a injury and with Downey bouncing back like a rubber ball i dont see Laps coming up anytime soon .

Lapierre should be here full time next season IMHO

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

2 rookies on the 4th line? No way. I don't see how this would help them stop running around in their own zone, which is their main problem at the moment.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:39 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
helloooooo we are 4-1-2. Why would we change anything????
BEcause we could be 7-0

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:44 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
We also may use a Bégin - Lapierre - Murray line for a game or too, just to see what it could look like, use Downey for tough game (boston, toronto, philly) and see if we keep Lappy or not
Well that'd be my preference as Begin and Murray bring the most energy. I thought Murray looked good last night. Still, if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:51 PM
jcpenny

the "if it aint broke dont fix it" makes me laugh. What about "if u can make it even better do it"? Lapierre would make our 4th line better and i dont care about what poeple say, hes better than Downey and Murray.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 01:56 PM
les Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
the "if it aint broke dont fix it" makes me laugh. What about "if u can make it even better do it"? Lapierre would make our 4th line better and i dont care about what poeple say, hes better than Downey and Murray.
It's because sometimes changes, even if they look better before you make them, aren't better. There are factors like chemistry and form. I'd like to see Lapierre get a chance and if he works out then great because I prefer a player who came up through the club to a Downey.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
But even if you assume he's better (which I don't, of course, despite how much he impressed me in the game against the Marlies)... how MUCH better is he, really? Is it enough to make a difference? Do you lose a player on waivers or take an extra $600k on your cap hit (that is worth $2.4M-of-player-contract value in acquiring a big-name player at the trade deadline) just for however much that improvement might be?

I think it's a marginal improvement AT BEST. No improvement at all at worst. On a line and in a role which essentially makes no impact on the outcome of most games. Murray is a competent PK player, he and Downey do their jobs entirely adequately with less than 10 minutes of icetime per game. I don't really think Lapierre would do anything differently. He's a good player. I like him a lot and I predict he'll be one of my favourites in a few years. But I just don't see the need for him right now. Let him play 20 minutes a game in Hamilton and maybe score 20+ goals there. There's as much value to us in having him gain that extra seasoning as there would be in even the most optimistic estimate of the improvement he'd bring us right now. Eventually he'll get his chance, probably with some games this year when injuries stack up. No need to rush things, no need to take risks or make changes for no real reason right now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 02:38 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
But even if you assume he's better (which I don't, of course, despite how much he impressed me in the game against the Marlies)... how MUCH better is he, really? Is it enough to make a difference? Do you lose a player on waivers or take an extra $600k on your cap hit (that is worth $2.4M-of-player-contract value in acquiring a big-name player at the trade deadline) just for however much that improvement might be?

I think it's a marginal improvement AT BEST. No improvement at all at worst. On a line and in a role which essentially makes no impact on the outcome of most games. Murray is a competent PK player, he and Downey do their jobs entirely adequately with less than 10 minutes of icetime per game. I don't really think Lapierre would do anything differently. He's a good player. I like him a lot and I predict he'll be one of my favourites in a few years. But I just don't see the need for him right now. Let him play 20 minutes a game in Hamilton and maybe score 20+ goals there. There's as much value to us in having him gain that extra seasoning as there would be in even the most optimistic estimate of the improvement he'd bring us right now. Eventually he'll get his chance, probably with some games this year when injuries stack up. No need to rush things, no need to take risks or make changes for no real reason right now.
well said.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:34 PM
hab

I say put the best team on the ice... if lappiere makes the fourth line dangerous,

you have to do it.... there is no

lollypop for saving a couple bucks on the cap or keeping a 21 year old on the

farm to get more time, its about winning games and this team has three lines

looking great with a fourth line going through the motions. Murray and Downey

are solid energy guys, but let me be the first to say, they contribute nothing

else to this team. If Lappiere can make a difference, and get that line generating

some offence, then he should be playing. That is exactly what makes buffalo

so good, 4 lines getting the job done every night.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 03:43 PM
larue*

I say you dont change anything when you are winning. We could play Buffalo on monday and win 4-3 with Murray- Begin- Lats getting 2 of the 4 goals.

Oh and then the little baby whiners will come crying to mommy that Sammy and Kovy didnt score.

Geeze if you guys lived in my neighborhood I wouldnt care if you were habs fans.........I would still kick your friggin as$es.

Jerks

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Habitants

well with downey out, and bonk questionalble, i think someone should be called up, and i beleive lapiere is the best option.

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Marksman

I would like to see Begin kept at center, mainly because hes been great at draws. He has over 70% rate now, eventhough hes been playing only small part sofar this season. Faceoff win in your defensive zone most often means one less scoring opportunity for the opposing line, for that shift.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab View Post
I say put the best team on the ice... if lappiere makes the fourth line dangerous,

you have to do it.... there is no

lollypop for saving a couple bucks on the cap or keeping a 21 year old on the

farm to get more time, its about winning games and this team has three lines

looking great with a fourth line going through the motions.
You think Lapierre will ADD offense at the NHL level?

I'm a fan of his, and I live close enough to Hamilton that I've actually seen him play a few times, but I seriously doubt he'll ever be an offensive threat, let alone carry a line on his own. Especially not as a rookie. I haven't seen anything from him to make me think he'll ever produce more at the NHL level than a guy like Begin.

Furthermore, it's not about putting the best team on the ice every night. It's about making the playoffs, THEN putting the best possible team on the ice. The habs are clearly on pace to make the playoffs, so if anything, saving cap space now will make the habs a better team overall, if they can use that cap space well for a playoff run.

Quote:
Murray and Downey

are solid energy guys, but let me be the first to say, they contribute nothing

else to this team.
Murray is one of the teams top penalty killers.

Quote:
If Lappiere can make a difference, and get that line generating

some offence, then he should be playing. That is exactly what makes buffalo

so good, 4 lines getting the job done every night.
That simply isn't true. Buffalo has gotten no offense at all from their 4th line. What has made them so effective is three loaded scoring lines, and a solid mucking line using Adam Mair (0 points this year) Andrew Peters (0 points) and usually (I think) Guastad (3 assists on the season, only one of which came at even strength). So if you look at it, Buffalo's 4th line hasn't actually contributed any offence for them this year at all.

ps. doug mckenzie, hab and larue: What is the deal with double-spacing all your posts? Drives me freakin nuts.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 04:57 AM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
ps. doug mckenzie, hab and larue: What is the deal with double-spacing all your posts? Drives me freakin nuts.
Hahahaha........Dont mean too........Just cant stop........I will try real hard to though..........ok.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 07:47 AM
SOLR

If Bonk cant play, I believe Kost will be called up.

Kost-Johnson-Perezhogin as the 3rd line.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote