HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakOil View Post
So what's going on with Gagner, he wasn't traded at the draft, nor did we get a centre which makes me think we're gonna need him even more than we did before.

What's the deadline for signing RFA's (before they can get offersheeted), the 5th I'm assuming? Gotta think if we want to keep him we'll get something done before that.
Ya I don't want him available when free agency comes. Someone will offer him 5+, and we'll either lose him for a crappy 1st or be stuck paying him too much

07-01-2013, 09:21 PM
armandh01

vCash: 500
What about Weiss? What is he like, I've never really payed any attention to him but he has pretty good 2C production and is veteran. Could he come cheaper than Gagner? I know he's 5lbs lighter but lets not pretend 5lbs makes or breaks this team.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:46 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
What about Weiss? What is he like, I've never really payed any attention to him but he has pretty good 2C production and is veteran. Could he come cheaper than Gagner? I know he's 5lbs lighter but lets not pretend 5lbs makes or breaks this team.
He's an older, more expensive Gagner

Old
07-01-2013, 09:55 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
He is Sam Gagner.

And he's also 30.

So do you take the guy who's 7 years older and about to decline just to save a million bucks on the cap?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 114
any news on this??

Old
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
DousedInOil

So Nashville lets Blum go but we can't get rid of Peckham?? Might as well just keep Fistric, Petrell, and Jones while we are at it.

#boldmoves

Old
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
So Nashville lets Blum go but we can't get rid of Peckham?? Might as well just keep Fistric, Petrell, and Jones while we are at it.

#boldmoves
Peckham was actually decent in the couple game he did get to play... If the management has forgiven him then there might still yet be a regular NHLer in him..

qualifying him does not mean he'll be on our opening roster... we just wont lose him for nothing... a decent training camp and he might be part of a package that gets us something useful

Old
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:

#boldmoves
The Oilers could do a hell of a lot worse than Fistric as a #6/#7. He's underrated imo and is good defensively. Ya, he doesn't bring much offense but he's solid in his own end and hits hard and by all accounts is well liked by his teammates.

Besides he had more points in fewer games than players like Smid, Potter, Hartikainen, Belanger, Brown.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

#boldmoves
Would your tune change if Peckham gets traded as part of the package for Coburn as reported?

As for Weiss, I agree that he's basically a worse version of Gagner for the most part. But the guy is actually decent at faceoffs and more polished defensively. Plus it would give us the option of moving Gagner for defensive help.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
thinlizzy

Salary question

I was reading about the Tyler Bozak 8 years at 5 million a year which his camp is currently asking. I looked at his stats and he is about a half point per game player. I know there are some smart people on here so I was wondering approx. what is the price on average for a 5 million dollar player in points production for a center ? no way in my mind does Bozak 's numbers warrant that kind of green backs. If we can get Gags for 4 a year it seems about right and better production.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Honestly I think Weiss is the overall better all-around player than Gagner. Better at faceoffs and more physical (although this year was a write-off for Weiss).

I'd still take Gagner though at this point because of his age and the fact that he's still got some upside potential. Weiss is pretty well at his peak and plateauing.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
BowDangles

The last I heard on Gagner was that there was a NTC holding the deal up. Anyone have any other updates on term and money?

Old
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
The last I heard on Gagner was that there was a NTC holding the deal up. Anyone have any other updates on term and money?
Wants just under 8mil for 5 years

Old
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
I was reading about the Tyler Bozak 8 years at 5 million a year which his camp is currently asking. I looked at his stats and he is about a half point per game player. I know there are some smart people on here so I was wondering approx. what is the price on average for a 5 million dollar player in points production for a center ? no way in my mind does Bozak 's numbers warrant that kind of green backs. If we can get Gags for 4 a year it seems about right and better production.

I have some data on this but it is out of date by a few years.

It does not break things down for only forwards but it does give you some expected point range for various salary ranges.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...586&highlight=

You want to know about salaries in the $5M range. If you go by the cap this todays salaries are roughly 13% higher than they were back then so the proper number to use would be about $4.4M in the charts I put together. This means that the 2009 median for this salary range was 19 goals and 44 points.

Less than you might think I'll bet.

BTW I really would like to update these charts but do it a little more finely by separating ELC's, 2nd contracts and UFA deals.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:25 PM
SephF
Visually Better

I can't way to pay Sam Gagner more money then Philly just gave UFA Vincent Lecavalier

Old
07-02-2013, 07:30 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I can't way to pay Sam Gagner more money then Philly just gave UFA Vincent Lecavalier
That deal might have just saved us some money with Gagner.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Wants just under 8mil for 5 years
Per year? Total?!?!?

He deserves at least 10 million per year.

EDIT: Sticking with my 6, 6, 4, 4, 2, 2 NTC deal.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:37 PM
T-Funk

No NTC/NMC for anyone ever again please.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The Oilers could do a hell of a lot worse than Fistric as a #6/#7. He's underrated imo and is good defensively. Ya, he doesn't bring much offense but he's solid in his own end and hits hard and by all accounts is well liked by his teammates.

Besides he had more points in fewer games than players like Smid, Potter, Hartikainen, Belanger, Brown.
Agreed! I hope they sign Fister! He was refreshing in his own end and hit like a Mac.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
And add on Vinnys buyout salary per season and that's what he is getting paid. Like how posters are trying to skew this.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:44 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
And add on Vinnys buyout salary per season and that's what he is getting paid. Like how posters are trying to skew this.
Exactly...if Vinny wasn't getting paid by TB as well, he would probably have been signing for 6.5m instead of 4.5m

Old
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
That deal might have just saved us some money with Gagner.
yeah, how gagner's camp can possibly look at the 4.5 million/year that lecavalier just signed for and say "we deserve more than that" is simply crazy talk

Old
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
Exactly...if Vinny wasn't getting paid by TB as well, he would probably have been signing for 6.5m instead of 4.5m
and if gagner wasn't literally our own center option after RNH, there is no way he would be asking for the 5 million he is reportedly asking for.... you can't just throw out the situation-aspects of a deal, contracts are signed in context

Old
07-02-2013, 07:48 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnc66 View Post
I'd imagine some teams offered him 6.5 still...and he took less to play where he wanted like Gagner should.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:

Closed Thread