HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
But we shouldn't sign him because Akeson scored a goal in his only game and McGinn played ok in the few odd games he was with us?
I think most will agree Akeson leaves alot to be desired. But I think most would also agree that McGinn played much better than expected. He produced and provided some physicality. I would rather roll with McGinn on the 3rd than Gags, your not looking for a top scoring line, because if you were Gags wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
I think most will agree Akeson leaves alot to be desired. But I think most would also agree that McGinn played much better than expected. He produced and provided some physicality. I would rather roll with McGinn on the 3rd than Gags, your not looking for a top scoring line, because if you were Gags wouldn't even be in the conversation.
I was really impressed with how good McGinn looked last year but I think it would be a mistake to put him in a role on the 3rd line where you are counting on him to help shut down guys like Ovi, Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares. IMO, McGinn isn't anywhere close to being able to handle that kind of responsibility. He was never know as a defensive or defensively minded player. It's not to say that he can't learn to be one but he didn't naturally gravitate towards that role during his development and to thrust that role upon him in his first full NHL season is a recipe for disaster IMO.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I was really impressed with how good McGinn looked last year but I think it would be a mistake to put him in a role on the 3rd line where you are counting on him to help shut down guys like Ovi, Malkin, Stamkos and Tavares. IMO, McGinn isn't anywhere close to being able to handle that kind of responsibility. He was never know as a defensive or defensively minded player. It's not to say that he can't learn to be one but he didn't naturally gravitate towards that role during his development and to thrust that role upon him in his first full NHL season is a recipe for disaster IMO.
Not to say hes in the same league as Coots, but the Flyers did precisely that. I agree that he may not be the most defensive minded player. But I'd feel better about McGinn bodying up Malkin than Gagne flailing around. And last season Gags didn't exactly play shutdown defense.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:54 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

He was only a minus 3 and doing some decent heavy lifting.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:01 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

I see a lot of yous referring to other players that will be available that can do what Gagne does at the same price but who are they? just curious, because I feel Gagne has a lot to offer still, even at a cap hit of around 2-2.5

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:08 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
I see a lot of yous referring to other players that will be available that can do what Gagne does at the same price but who are they? just curious, because I feel Gagne has a lot to offer still, even at a cap hit of around 2-2.5
Particularly at a cap hit of 2.00-2.50.

I feel like Gagne is a solid two-way guy with some offensive potential and has obvious ties to the organization.

He loves Philly. Philly loves him. He would come relatively cheap considering the market.

No brainer.

Let Gagne retire here in Philly.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Gagne - Couturier - xxxxx
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot

It leaves one spot for a big guy that can open up space for Couturier and Gagne. We need to explore that on the market unless we think McGinn is that guy.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:29 PM
captainpaxil

the absurdity of buying out briere and then not resigning gagne on a team that was just so devoid of veteran leadership last year just baffles me. we were just too damn young last year. there needs to be at least a few gys who are experienced pros. who beter than a guy with a cup ring and the longest tenure in philly? its a no brainer

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
the absurdity of buying out briere and then not resigning gagne on a team that was just so devoid of veteran leadership last year just baffles me. we were just too damn young last year. there needs to be at least a few gys who are experienced pros. who beter than a guy with a cup ring and the longest tenure in philly? its a no brainer
Lecavalier and Gagne bring that experience in spades.

Both with a cup. Both substantial veterans. Both speak French! (Since apparently we love our French-speakers now.)

Old
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
Timmo is 38
Streit is 35
Talbot is 29
Hartnell is 31

But theres no experienced Pros?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
Timmo is 38
Streit is 35
Talbot is 29
Hartnell is 31

But theres no experienced Pros?
Add Lecavalier, Gagne, and Thomas to that mix and this is our team...

Simmonds - Lecavalier - Read
Schenn - Couturier - Gagne
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gervais

Mason
Thomas

Bold denotes Cup winner...
Underline denotes player who played in the Stanley Cup Finals...

Old
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Particularly at a cap hit of 2.00-2.50.

I feel like Gagne is a solid two-way guy with some offensive potential and has obvious ties to the organization.

He loves Philly. Philly loves him. He would come relatively cheap considering the market.

No brainer.

Let Gagne retire here in Philly.

Simmonds - Schenn - Read
Gagne - Couturier - xxxxx

It leaves one spot for a big guy that can open up space for Couturier and Gagne. We need to explore that on the market unless we think McGinn is that guy.
This person gets it. Gags, 2 mil for one year, gives you flexibility now and in the future.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Funny I literally came on the board to see what was going on with Gagne since his name has never come up in UFA talks recently. Was curious to know your honest assessment of him if he stays relatively healthy for a full season? Ottawa has been known to give chances to more veteran type injury reclamation projects (Latendresse, Lundin, etc) and I instantly thought of gagne and our need for a solid winger. Do you think he still has what it takes to play in the Top 6?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Funny I literally came on the board to see what was going on with Gagne since his name has never come up in UFA talks recently. Was curious to know your honest assessment of him if he stays relatively healthy for a full season? Ottawa has been known to give chances to more veteran type injury reclamation projects (Latendresse, Lundin, etc) and I instantly thought of gagne and our need for a solid winger. Do you think he still has what it takes to play in the Top 6?
I think top nine is more realistic and filling in on the top 6 when needed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
If you keep your expectations low, I think you could cross your fingers and pray. I think Gagne is serviceable, hes just not IMO the best option. I really think its not a Top 6 unless your team is injury riddled or very desperate.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Biggest issue with the Sens is that we apparently have a VERY tight internal budget and the only UFAs we sign (if any) will have to come cheap.. Which is why I think of guys like Gagne, Mueller, etc who would need a bridge prove it type contract on the cheap (2-2.5mil max)

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
SuchySays

probably no room for Gagne now.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:31 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
We have plenty of room and need a top 9 winger.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
ayshplaysh

Quote:
Don't see why he wouldn't fit, he said he'd take a discount to play here...

ayshplaysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
We have plenty of room and need a top 9 winger.
that's what I thought. but then all our beat writers are like "WE GOTTA MOVE SALARY NOW" and i'm confused now.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
that's what I thought. but then all our beat writers are like "WE GOTTA MOVE SALARY NOW" and i'm confused now.
All of our beat writers are the smartest, most intelligent and versed hockey fans of the Flyers, and honestly, I can't imagine them not being the most credible source for information to date.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:23 PM
hXc Chris

Quote:
All of our beat writers are the smartest, most intelligent and versed hockey fans of the Flyers, and honestly, I can't imagine them not being the most credible source for information to date.
It's not even just our beat writers, THN were saying the Flyers were cap screwed and had to immediately move players. I guess I shouldnt expect professionals to understand every teams cap situation, but they shouldnt be this ignorant. Craig Button was the only one that mentioned Prongers LTIR and that the Flyers should be fine moving forward.

hXc Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hXc Chris View Post
It's not even just our beat writers, THN were saying the Flyers were cap screwed and had to immediately move players. I guess I shouldnt expect professionals to understand every teams cap situation, but they shouldnt be this ignorant. Craig Button was the only one that mentioned Prongers LTIR and that the Flyers should be fine moving forward.
Even if Meltzer is a solid source, I wish there were en masse better options for information outside of a few writers and the existence of HFBoards.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:47 AM
JoeFlyer

I saw somewhere someone saying the Gagne was willing to take a pay cut to stay and I just noticed that he only got payed $2.5m this year in actual salary, so I'm hoping he does stay and for on about $2 now...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Even if Meltzer is a solid source, I wish there were en masse better options for information outside of a few writers and the existence of HFBoards.
You would think that we would have better options here considering this is a hockey area. You just have to weed them out and rely on one's knowledge of the game. I am not a fan at all of today's journalists. There are a few out there who are good and just write the story and not try to interject all the so called drama to embellish their story.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 12:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 940
From Tim P.:

Quote:
Gagne tells me Holmgren due to talk to him late today. There is interest in re-sign here on both ends
https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote