HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1, Pick #11: Samuel Morin, Defense, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Old
07-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Eriksson had two separate stays with the team, the first lasted parts of two seasons but he got homesick for Sweden and returned there after a game or two in his second NHL season.

When he returned, he made the all-rookie team (he didn't lose his rookie status based on games played the first time with the team) but he wasn't a consistent force on the blueline. It was around this time when the four horses made a strong impact: Mark Howe, Brad Marsh, Brad McCrimmon and Doug Crossman.

When Eriksson returned, under Bob McCammon, Pelle Lindbergh had established himself and there seemed to be an opening for Eriksson who was generally quiet off-the-ice and rarely seemed comfortable or even happy. After Lindbergh got into into the fatal accident, Eriksson left for Sweden following that season.
Thanks for that! Makes sense, fellow Swede the same age, from the same city and a good friend dying would make you want to be on the other side of the world, especially if he was having trouble before that. His production dropping from 0.6PPG to less than 0.1 after it happens would indicate it really badly affected him.

Adds even more sadness to a pretty harrowing story to begin with, though he seems to have had a fantastic career in Sweden after, top SEL D man, number retired.

Unerringly similar to what I found about Chernov in my previous post.

EDIT: Just read Eriksson had known Lindbergh since childhood, unimaginable how that must have affected him.

Last edited by Appleyard: 07-01-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:11 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
McKeen's on Morin

I'm trying, and not succeeding, to correlate this with the numerous posts praising Morin for his hockey IQ. I know we are a long way from seeing if he achieves his ceiling or anywhere close -- whatever his ceiling is, that is! -- but I have a bad feeling Morin will be a "Where are they now?" in 10 years.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 11:56 PM
FLYguy3911

For those doubting his offensive upside

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm trying, and not succeeding, to correlate this with the numerous posts praising Morin for his hockey IQ. I know we are a long way from seeing if he achieves his ceiling or anywhere close -- whatever his ceiling is, that is! -- but I have a bad feeling Morin will be a "Where are they now?" in 10 years.
Relax, man. If Simon Nolet and all the rest of our scouts think this kid will be a player, he will be a player.

I watched the Prospect game the other day and he made several rushes to join the play and looked very good on D and moving the puck. Very good transition passes, skates as well as any of them.

Where are they now, in 2023? "Sam Morin, who made the Flyers out of camp in 2015, is now the veteran leader of the team in his 8th season." How's that?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:21 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Relax, man. If Simon Nolet and all the rest of our scouts think this kid will be a player, he will be a player.

I watched the Prospect game the other day and he made several rushes to join the play and looked very good on D and moving the puck. Very good transition passes, skates as well as any of them.

Where are they now, in 2023? "Sam Morin, who made the Flyers out of camp in 2015, is now the veteran leader of the team in his 8th season." How's that?
Simon Nolet & Dennis Patterson spent a lot of time scouting Morin this year. Nolet gets all the praise around here but if you look at Patterson's track record in his main scouting territory (OHL) it's just as good. I trust these two guys opinions on Morin.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:47 AM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
He could have been a number 3, maybe a number 2. He was so smooth out there. Great skater, great positioning, active stick, was just a good player who would have broken through. His death really had a traumatic effect on a number of players within the organization at the time. If I remember correctly, one of them had a nervous unfortunatelybreakdown and another one ended up quitting hockey because he became an alcoholic trying to forget what happened.
First time I saw about this story. That's terrible

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:11 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
For those doubting his offensive upside
Was that little Leighton in net?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Hiesenberg

Flyers simply don't really miss on their 1st's. Nobody should be worried about Morin. Its whether Hagg or anybody else can make it to the show.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If he was so bad why did that site have him ranked # 10 in the world?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:55 AM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
after reading his scouting reports he sounds just like coburn. Great skating big defenseman that can get the puck out of his zone by pass or by skating.
Just what I did not need, Coburn 2.0.
Another no offense defenseman, great.
We could have drafted a player like that in the 2nd round.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Just what I did not need, Coburn 2.0.
Another no offense defenseman, great.
We could have drafted a player like that in the 2nd round.
You say that like Coburn is a scrub. If he had any consistency to his game no one here would be questioning him right now.

If Morin turns out to be a consistent Coburn then that's a good pick.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Curufinwe

The other player like him went at #16.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Flyers simply don't really miss on their 1st's. Nobody should be worried about Morin. Its whether Hagg or anybody else can make it to the show.
Well that's good new for me cause I'm very confident Hagg becomes a very good player for us.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You say that like Coburn is a scrub. If he had any consistency to his game no one here would be questioning him right now.

I think if can turn out to be a rookie year Myers, then even better .

When it comes to 1st rounders, in the past 15 years, the only one that didn't have a career was Ouellet. That's some damn good drafting.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post

Not with the logjam of defense only defenders we draft --its not.
Morin is overrated, he has little to no offensive ability.
Sorry you should be able to get those type of players
in the second round if you can draft decently.

First round picks should be cornerstones, core players.
A guy with little chance of developing an offensive game
can not become a #1 defenseman.

They saw him and saw Pronger or Weber, all is see is Coburn.
I hope I am wrong since we drafted him.
I hope he becomes the best defenseman in the league.
I just have serious doubts that this pick will pan out at all.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
If he was so bad why did that site have him ranked # 10 in the world?
As I don't have access to McKeen's beyond the paragraph posted, I don't have a clue why they would put him that high. Where is this relative to the other blue-chip Dmen; ie, Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen? Conversely, The Score's summary (from your link) has him at 23 for North America. McKenzie had him at 17, Button at 13, and the ISS didn't even have Morin in their last top 30. 10th overall seems like a real reach, particularly when the same group identified so many areas of improvement in his game.

But "You can't teach size!!!"

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:18 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
First round picks should be cornerstones
Ah, I found your problem.

Seriously, this is getting idiotic with people expecting a franchise player with every first round pick. Like most things on HFboards, the disappointment of fans is usually because of unrealistic expectations rather than any real organizational failure.

If you are expecting Pulock or Morrissey to be future franchise cornerstones, well...I'd get banned if I finished that sentence. We picked a player who has a solid skill set that the team liked. We'll see how he fits into the organization in a couple years.

And please don't say "I see another Coburn". Lol, you don't see anything. You've never watched Morin outside of his 4:00 clip on youtube, so stop acting like you know some big secret that the Flyers scouts don't know.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Doublechin

Morin is a Capital Boom or bust player, if he booms there's no denying the possibility of him becoming a player like Chara, it will be a long time project but it's as good of a possibility as anyone in recent memory. But there's also a risk that he completely busts, he progressed a lot from the beginning to the end of last season, if he keeps up with his progression and becomes a gym rat I can't see him not becoming a succesful top 4 at least.

I'd say 25% he never becomes an NHL regular, 15% a 5-6-7 D, 30% he becomes a top 4D mostly defensive minded, 20% he becomes a top pairing 25 minute a night two way Dman and I give him a 10% odds at becoming an elite defender (A la Chara or Pronger). That 10% is still a good enough number for him to be picked at 11.

I had Philly picking him in my mock and I believe it was the best fit for him.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublechin View Post
Morin is a Capital Boom or bust player, if he booms there's no denying the possibility of him becoming a player like Chara, it will be a long time project but it's as good of a possibility as anyone in recent memory. But there's also a risk that he completely busts, he progressed a lot from the beginning to the end of last season, if he keeps up with his progression and becomes a gym rat I can't see him not becoming a succesful top 4 at least.

I'd say 25% he never becomes an NHL regular, 15% a 5-6-7 D, 30% he becomes a top 4D mostly defensive minded, 20% he becomes a top pairing 25 minute a night two way Dman and I give him a 10% odds at becoming an elite defender (A la Chara or Pronger). That 10% is still a good enough number for him to be picked at 11.

I had Philly picking him in my mock and I believe it was the best fit for him.
I'll say the same thing here that I said in the Hagg thread since you posted it there too.

Morin for his size, skating, and intelligence might be a better player than Lauridsen already.

Honestly, he's as easy bet to become a bottom pairing SDD. However, we should want and expect at lot more from him than that.

Either way, your 25% that he never becomes an NHL regular is pretty pointless and incorrect.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
poneill27

According to this interview on Yahoo (pre draft) he believes he has the best shot on his team and that it will get better with time...Interesting!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...183529919.html

"I like to use my shot a lot on the power play, I probably have the best shot on our team," he says. "I think in the future, I will be better."

If this is true...Chara 2.0

Last edited by poneill27: 07-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.
poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Appleyard

Our drafting in the first round is ****-hot tbf... I trust them until it is otherwise obvious Morin is a 'miss', which will be a long way down the track.

1990-2006 draft picks considered here. (projected games, after 2006 the relative youth of a players career make it hard to predict their future, but JVR, Sbisa and Couts all seem like 700 game players to me!)

Flyers average 1st round:

200 GP: 80% 400 GP: 66.6% 700 GP: 60% All-Star: 40%

NHL average 1st round:

200 GP: 64%, 400 GP: 53.6%, 700 GP: 38%, All-Star: 22.9%

If those averages are looked at it is easy to see how well the Flyers draft in the first... those figures are better than the average #6-10 pick in each draft, we make every draft seem like our 1st rounder is in the 4-6# area by success rate.

The only 'misses' we have had are Oullet, Woywitka (who actually was a decent 5/6), Sittler (unlucky and out of anyones control) and Bowen... so we have not 'missed' since 2001, and before then not missed a non-goalie since 1992.

The talent evaluation in the organisation is one of the best in the NHL.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

Seriously, this is getting idiotic with people expecting a franchise player with every first round pick. Like most things on HFboards, the disappointment of fans is usually because of unrealistic expectations rather than any real organizational failure.

If you are expecting Pulock or Morrissey to be future franchise cornerstones, well...I'd get banned if I finished that sentence. We picked a player who has a solid skill set that the team liked. We'll see how he fits into the organization in a couple years.

And please don't say "I see another Coburn". Lol, you don't see anything. You've never watched Morin outside of his 4:00 clip on youtube, so stop acting like you know some big secret that the Flyers scouts don't know.
Seriously, can we please wait and see what the guy turns into? Gus is currently developing into a promising possible #4 guy. Ghost has shown more promise than expected, too. MAB was doing well, better than expected (again, like the other two) before he broke his brain. Can we please consider that the org has done pretty well with lower picks for Dmen, and give them SOME benefit of the doubt on their first round pick?

Maybe he's nothing special, sure. But let's at least wait to see what this SEVENTEEN year old guy turns into before declaring the draft a disaster.

07-02-2013, 03:01 PM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

We had a chance to pick a possible franchise player because we missed the playoffs.
So instead of that we decide to reach on a project defenseman. A missed opportunity.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:02 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Seriously, can we please wait and see what the guy turns into? Gus is currently developing into a promising possible #4 guy. Ghost has shown more promise than expected, too. MAB was doing well, better than expected (again, like the other two) before he broke his brain. Can we please consider that the org has done pretty well with lower picks for Dmen, and give them SOME benefit of the doubt on their first round pick?

Maybe he's nothing special, sure. But let's at least wait to see what this SEVENTEEN year old guy turns into before declaring the draft a disaster.
Exactly. The kid could be anything from Keaton Ellerby to a Myers/beast Coburn hybrid. We just have no idea. We've seen players like this bust, we've seen them develop offensive games seemingly out of no where, we've seen them make a living as a SDD, and we've seen them become elite defenders. There is just such an incredibly wide range of possibilities with him, it's just mind boggling to see people declaring him one way or another at this point.

I mean, isn't the complaint always that the Flyers never take their time with defenders? Well, now they specifically picked a player who clearly needs time. Let's at least give him a couple years...it hasn't even been a couple days...

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote