HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
if we are going to go back to those snazzy long passes with Briere in mind, I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing sullivan for a year on the cheap. Would be cheap top 6 insurance, and with the youth on this team, another vet would be nice

Old
07-02-2013, 01:29 PM
weeze

Why are teams like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, St Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and almost every other team willing to try for Vincent Lecavalier or Daniel Briere and Ribeiro, and a few others but not Nashville? Is is ok for them but they are too old and cost too much for us. Who do you all think we are going to get to come to Nashville? No super top 6 unless it is a trade! I say offer VL 4yr/5mil per or DB a 2-3yr/3-4mil per. WE NEED some top 6 players and some marquee names. These are who is available. Consider Ribiero, BMorrow, Iginla, Horton, Roy or any other UFA! The fans are getting restless as evidenced by the attendance (paid) last yr.

I feel we have to bring in at least 1 if not 2 new top 6 forwards to be at least competitive this next yr. We have sooo many young guys playing that we could use some elder guys to mentor.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
hockey diva

Weezer and anyone else wanting us to talk to VL, Vinny submitted a list of teams he was willing to talk to. WE WERE NOT ON THAT LIST! So enough about him. There are other possibilities for FA pick ups. Whether Poile pursues them or they are willing to listen is a whole nother story.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Weezer and anyone else wanting us to talk to VL, Vinny submitted a list of teams he was willing to talk to. WE WERE NOT ON THAT LIST! So enough about him. There are other possibilities for FA pick ups. Whether Poile pursues them or they are willing to listen is a whole nother story.
You need to show him the gold gloves, Diva. He'll sign here in no time

Old
07-02-2013, 01:50 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
Why are teams like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, St Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and almost every other team willing to try for Vincent Lecavalier or Daniel Briere and Ribeiro, and a few others but not Nashville?
Poile was interested in Vinny, Vinny was not interested in Nashville. Poile said today he's interested in Briere. I don't know about Ribeiro but you can't sign a guy that doesn't want to play with your team and he's interested in another guy you mentioned.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Poile was interested in Vinny, Vinny was not interested in Nashville. Poile said today he's interested in Briere. I don't know about Ribeiro but you can't sign a guy that doesn't want to play with your team and he's interested in another guy you mentioned.
I guess that is my question. Why aren't other guys wanting to consider Nashville as a playing destination? It seems that almost all other teams are being considered for some of the top 6-9 players but Nashville. At one time we had signed Forsberg (Peter), Arnott, Dumont and Kariya but now it seems like we are the disfigured step-child locked up in the attic. I can't think of any other NHL team that has this much difficulty to attract top talent. Very frustrating!

Old
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
ilikeblocks

Peter Mueller didn't get qualified - is he this year's reclamation project?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
predfan24

Quote:
I guess that is my question. Why aren't other guys wanting to consider Nashville as a playing destination? It seems that almost all other teams are being considered for some of the top 6-9 players but Nashville. At one time we had signed Forsberg (Peter), Arnott, Dumont and Kariya but now it seems like we are the disfigured step-child locked up in the attic. I can't think of any other NHL team that has this much difficulty to attract top talent. Very frustrating!
Ehh I think lots of teams have a hard time attracting top talent. Edmonton, Columbus, Phoenix, doubt you are going to see any top FA's go to Winnipeg for awhile.

The Preds are in a nontraditional market and they get minimal exposure within the hockey world. Also last season we were one of the worst teams in the league.

So a player coming here would have to be okay playing for a team that gets largely ignored by the NHL media, a city where they he won't be treated like a god and will be playing second fiddle to the Titans and college football, and he would be taking a risk coming to a team that honestly could be really bad again.

Let's be honest most guys who are in the NHL have been great hockey players and the "man" on their teams since they were youth. They have had coaches and parents bend over backward for them. Most have an ego that understandably needs to be fed and you aren't going to get that in Nashville.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
and yet Poile said today that we talked to him...

Old
07-02-2013, 02:32 PM
utkpred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Poile also mentioned today that we were not allowed to speak with Ribeiro...

Old
07-02-2013, 02:33 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
I think there's 2 reasons why it might be tough to attract free agents this year:

1. We can't sell being a contender. Our best year ever was a near sweep in the 2nd round. Last year we were one of the worst teams in the NHL. We're going to have to show some life if we want to become a destination. Look at the teams on VL's list. They all either made the playoffs or came close. The perception around the league is that we're rebuilding.

There are two types of UFA's - guys that want a Cup and see themselves as the last piece of the puzzle - usually guys who have already made thier money. And guys looking for the fattest contract. VL is the first group. We might have a chance with the 2nd group.

2. We're a budget franchise. No one wants to play for a franchise that appears to be more interested in saving $$$'s than winning. Right or wrong, teams that spend are seen as teams that are trying to win a cup. Teams that hover around or just above the cap floor are not. We can debate all we want as to whether or not teams are spending wisely, but the perception is what it is.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by utkpred View Post
Poile also mentioned today that we were not allowed to speak with Ribeiro...
I thought you could speak to UFA's starting today.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I thought you could speak to UFA's starting today.
tomorrow the 3rd

Old
07-02-2013, 02:56 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Ehh I think lots of teams have a hard time attracting top talent. Edmonton, Columbus, Phoenix, doubt you are going to see any top FA's go to Winnipeg for awhile.

The Preds are in a nontraditional market and they get minimal exposure within the hockey world. Also last season we were one of the worst teams in the league.

So a player coming here would have to be okay playing for a team that gets largely ignored by the NHL media, a city where they he won't be treated like a god and will be playing second fiddle to the Titans and college football, and he would be taking a risk coming to a team that honestly could be really bad again.

Let's be honest most guys who are in the NHL have been great hockey players and the "man" on their teams since they were youth. They have had coaches and parents bend over backward for them. Most have an ego that understandably needs to be fed and you aren't going to get that in Nashville.
I will give you Columbus but Phoenix was able to resign Shane Doan, bring in or keep Martin Hanzal, Klesla, Morris and Yandle and Edmonton has been able to keep some of there young top guns Eberle, Gagner, Hall and RNH and bring/back RSmyth and a few others.

We (Preds) have been one of the most consistant teams in the NHL since the prior lockout, making the playoffs...

I guess that is me just thinking that all of guys would want to play for my team.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
I will give you Columbus but Phoenix was able to resign Shane Doan, bring in or keep Martin Hanzal, Klesla, Morris and Yandle and Edmonton has been able to keep some of there young top guns Eberle, Gagner, Hall and RNH and bring/back RSmyth and a few others.

We (Preds) have been one of the most consistant teams in the NHL since the prior lockout, making the playoffs...

I guess that is me just thinking that all of guys would want to play for my team.
We typically don't have problems retaining players once they get here. Aside from the fire sale, the only guy we lost that we really wanted to keep from both a player and a financial standpoint was Suter.

Note that both Edmonton and Phoenix aren't exactly attracting UFA's either.

I still think alot of it has to do with how we are viewed around the NHL from a competitive standpoint - Nashville doesn't look like a place that will challenge for a cup for the next 2-3 years. We can change that on the ice though.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
tomorrow the 3rd
Ahh, thanks.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:45 PM
braindead

I've spent a fair amount of brain power on the best way to solve our offensive issues via UFA. I've narrowed the list to two viable alternatives. Both are more long term plans rather than a quick fix:

Plan A: We need Shea to develop a buddy-friend at the ASG or Olympics like Parise did with Suter. Someone equally weak minded and easily swayed by peer pressure and on the final year of RFA contract. Prefer someone who is married but still likes to spend time texting with other jocks about how cool it would be to shower, room and travel together.

Plan B: Carrie Underwood needs to connect hot, attractive young Nashville-based country wannabe stars with high end offensive hockey talent. Marriage proposal gets you a 6 month warm up act gig on her next summer tour.

Any thoughts or alternative ideas?

Old
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
predfan24

Quote:

Resigning your UFAs is far far different than attracting top tier UFA's that are testing the market.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
thecloser

If we're talking about Peter Mueller from Florida then yes please. Add him filpulla and Dupuis and a goalie and call it a day

Old
07-02-2013, 04:09 PM
ilikeblocks

Quote:
Why are teams like Toronto, Montreal, Philly, Boston, Detroit, Dallas, St Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, and almost every other team willing to try for Vincent Lecavalier or Daniel Briere and Ribeiro, and a few others but not Nashville? Is is ok for them but they are too old and cost too much for us. Who do you all think we are going to get to come to Nashville? No super top 6 unless it is a trade! I say offer VL 4yr/5mil per or DB a 2-3yr/3-4mil per. WE NEED some top 6 players and some marquee names. These are who is available. Consider Ribiero, BMorrow, Iginla, Horton, Roy or any other UFA! The fans are getting restless as evidenced by the attendance (paid) last yr.

I feel we have to bring in at least 1 if not 2 new top 6 forwards to be at least competitive this next yr. We have sooo many young guys playing that we could use some elder guys to mentor.
Would love to get Roy in nashville.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I've spent a fair amount of brain power on the best way to solve our offensive issues via UFA. I've narrowed the list to two viable alternatives. Both are more long term plans rather than a quick fix:

Plan A: We need Shea to develop a buddy-friend at the ASG or Olympics like Parise did with Suter. Someone equally weak minded and easily swayed by peer pressure and on the final year of RFA contract. Prefer someone who is married but still likes to spend time texting with other jocks about how cool it would be to shower, room and travel together.

Plan B: Carrie Underwood needs to connect hot, attractive young Nashville-based country wannabe stars with high end offensive hockey talent. Marriage proposal gets you a 6 month warm up act gig on her next summer tour.

Any thoughts or alternative ideas?
Plan a - Is fine and all but Price is a goalie and wont solve our problems at all...

Old
07-02-2013, 04:34 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
If we're talking about Peter Mueller from Florida then yes please. Add him filpulla and Dupuis and a goalie and call it a day
your expectations are way too high lol.. i expect at best briere and that's it. maybe a 3rd liner flying under the radar

Old
07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
token grinder

a couple quick thoughts...

on us not being able to sell us as a cup contender. I say bull. We can sell we have the goaltending long term. We have arguably the best defense corp (I said arguably) and all 7 of them under team control for at least the next 3 and all but Bartley the next 5 years. We have solid 3rd and 4th lines. Hell we have 3 3rd lines right now. What we have to sell an offensive forward is the fact that he could be the missing piece. He could be the offensive catalyst while Forsberg/Beck develop into 40 point guys next year. He can be the one who pushes Wilson and Hornquist into 60 point players. You absolutely play the ego card and sell that. None of it is false. doesn't matter if it is a wing or a center. Just a good solid 50-60 point forward. you sell the belief that the youth of this team in Wilson/Hornquist/Forsberg/Bourque/Beck/Smith can produce this year. you sell Aberg/Watson/Leipsic/Sissons/Budish are going to be able to contibute in 2-3 years.

Nashville has plenty to sell. Some of you just can't see the forest thru the trees here and look down the road a bit. Our young kids are a good blend of big power forwards and skill guys. Our d-corp outside of Ellis is big and could be huge down the road. They can all move the puck a bit.

so maybe only one thought.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:54 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

on us not being able to sell us as a cup contender. I say bull. We can sell we have the goaltending long term. We have arguably the best defense corp (I said arguably) and all 7 of them under team control for at least the next 3 and all but Bartley the next 5 years. We have solid 3rd and 4th lines. Hell we have 3 3rd lines right now. What we have to sell an offensive forward is the fact that he could be the missing piece. He could be the offensive catalyst while Forsberg/Beck develop into 40 point guys next year. He can be the one who pushes Wilson and Hornquist into 60 point players. You absolutely play the ego card and sell that. None of it is false. doesn't matter if it is a wing or a center. Just a good solid 50-60 point forward. you sell the belief that the youth of this team in Wilson/Hornquist/Forsberg/Bourque/Beck/Smith can produce this year. you sell Aberg/Watson/Leipsic/Sissons/Budish are going to be able to contibute in 2-3 years.

Nashville has plenty to sell. Some of you just can't see the forest thru the trees here and look down the road a bit. Our young kids are a good blend of big power forwards and skill guys. Our d-corp outside of Ellis is big and could be huge down the road. They can all move the puck a bit.

Agree 100%. We have plenty to sell and Poile needs to pull the "you could be our guy" card because frankly whoever it is would be along with Weber, Rinne, etc. I wish FA's would realize that we have everything to win except the huge offense. They just need to actually join the team and help the rest of the players work towards it instead of hopping on some other team's train that is already full of people who can/will win a cup.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:17 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

TK...wow, can you send these thoughts along to Poile, or better yet lead the recruiting committee?? I've heard Willy on The Game mention that James Franklin needs to be contacted about what it takes to land a prize within the next few days; I REALLY hope there's been such work being done by the management (and hopefully 1 Captain Shea Weber) to point out the pluses this team contains.

Closed Thread