HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II: Bergevin's headache

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 500
Man, this is better than any reality show Marie-Pier Morin has ever been into.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Uhh.. No, Not at the time we got them.
I've been through the Sundins and the Hossas, don't get me started with Gionta, Cammalleri and Cole. They're good players but they're not rising your team to an other level.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:27 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Guy would be way smarter picking a team like Dallas. He'll be able to wind down his career quietly while playing with one of the premier playmaking wingers after St.Louis.
Montreal is a far better franchise than Dallas in so many ways. For one, we don't have the stench of Bob Gainey's failure lingering in the halls here.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I've pointed that out in this thread before, absolutely agreed. Something is either up or nothing is up at all with Vinny for him to be keeping quiet, and these reporters are all blowing smoke up our *****. I'm hoping it's the former, and in a good way.

I also don't buy this talk about Vinny not wanting the pressure that comes with playing in Montreal.

If he doesn't choose to sign in Montreal, it won't be for that reason

Old
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Montreal is a far better franchise than Dallas in so many ways. For one, we don't have the stench of Bob Gainey's failure lingering in the halls here.
Scathing. Oh so scathing. Never change W7.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Sure we do...it's just a milder odor since it's been awhile...

Old
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Scathing. Oh so scathing. Never change W7.
You should hear him talk about fluff writers.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
it takes years for that stench to go away, it'll be floating around for a long time

maybe with a LOT of Febreze...

Old
07-02-2013, 03:31 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Vinny doesn't owe the Habs anything. He'll pick the team/city that's best for him & his family and if he decides that Montreal isn't a good fit, then so be it. Hating on him for going to another team is ridiculous.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Ginu

IMO it's Montreal or Dallas. Does he want to play at home or not. We've given an offer.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Yes, true. But Dallas will be a decent team if Whitney is healthly.

I'm not saying the franchise isn't great here - were building a good thing. But our fans are freaking crazy. I can understand an older player being terrified to sign here.

I like Vinny, but all this "disowning" comments makes me hope he goes somewhere else. Fans are already being ****ing ridiculous. I'd rather him not have to go through it for 5-years, unless he wants too 100%.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
I want players who relish the opportunity to bring a cup back to Montreal and don't think it's pressure but exciting.

If Vinny wants to play quietly than I dot' wnt him

Old
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
I want players who relish the opportunity to bring a cup back to Montreal and don't think it's pressure but exciting.

If Vinny wants to play quietly than I dot' wnt him
This. as a fan you can only dream about playing for your home team and help them win a cup. He can actually do this. I just think he's gonna regret it if he doesn't choose mtl.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I also don't buy this talk about Vinny not wanting the pressure that comes with playing in Montreal.

If he doesn't choose to sign in Montreal, it won't be for that reason
I don't think it's about pressure as much as it is over the top attention.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Vinny doesn't owe the Habs anything. He'll pick the team/city that's best for him & his family and if he decides that Montreal isn't a good fit, then so be it. Hating on him for going to another team is ridiculous.
Not the Habs but his hometown. Most players want to play at home at some point and while there give back to the community. If he choses another team for whatever reason then fans have every right to boo him. Money, given his last contract and buyout should not be a factor, or at least a very small one. Guys like Koivu and Kovalev were not born or raised here but they faced the scrutiny and did great things for the community.

If the Habs were in shambles then I can see wanting to stay away, but if he signs with a non playoff team instead of the Habs, he deserves any hate he gets.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
the cap will go up.
Gionta, Markov wont be around.

Cap hit of 5 mil wont sink us
Yes, we can afford the cap hit. But it all comes down to what year we're investing in -- are we prying open that Cup window now or later? Lecavalier is a great addition for a WIN-NOW team. He's not getting any younger or healthier. And if we're planning to win now, we'd still need to add more players to make a serious run. It's all or nothing. There's no point in paying Lecavalier, wiping our hands and saying, "Job done". It's not done unless all the holes are fixed. It would be like buying nice new couches without fixing the leaky roof. Pay Vinny and the team's obligated to pay some other big player to make us a true contender. If not, we've just purchased an expensive couch in a water-stained den. So the question is: Can we afford Vinny's Cap hit, plus the additional Cap hit of whomever else we rent?

But if we're building an entire winning structure for 2016 and beyond, then Vinny's 5-year contract is not part of the furniture. He'll be 36 with chronic injury problems and will likely be declining further. At that point, when our young guys are developed and our current core is in their late 20s, that $5M would be much better spent on a younger, stronger, healthier, more productive UFA/trade than on a one-dimensional barely productive player.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
This.

It's sad to see so many Habs fans act like Leafs fans and think we "deserve" every local player.

If Vinny does sign with Montreal in the end, it's because he either think he can win a cup here, got the best deal, or wants his children to go to school here. It will still be about Vinny doing what's best for Vinny, not about who deserves what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not the Habs but his hometown. Most players want to play at home at some point and while there give back to the community. If he choses another team for whatever reason then fans have every right to boo him. Money, given his last contract and buyout should not be a factor, or at least a very small one. Guys like Koivu and Kovalev were not born or raised here but they faced the scrutiny and did great things for the community.

If the Habs were in shambles then I can see wanting to stay away, but if he signs with a non playoff team instead of the Habs, he deserves any hate he gets.
Please give me an example of how many star or near-star players in sport signed for their hometown without being drafted by them. In recent memory the best example I can think of is in the NBA, Carmelo Anthony signing for the Knicks, and even then his "coming home" claim was transparently BS - he was born in NY but mostly raised in Baltimore, and it was obvious that New York offered him endorsement money he wasn't getting in Denver, a max contract he risked losing under the upcoming new CBA, and a chance to play with one of his good friends. Lecavalier is insanely marketable in the Quebec market, but the Quebec market isn't nearly as significant as New York.

If anything, Saku - and Vinny in Tampa is an example of how pros embrace their new homes, and it's the guys who spend their whole career here, not the guys who were born here, who do the most for the community. Which is what makes it extra sad that someone like Lecavalier gets worshipped while career Habs, from Price to Plekanec to Subban, often get chased out of town. Koivu is another example of someone who was never good enough no matter what he did.

Last edited by Et le But: 07-02-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
If it's attention, he wouldn't come back to Montreal during the summers. IMO it's the pressure of playing and succeeding in this market. Can he handle it

This is PK and Price's team. I don't think Vinny has to worry about pressure. People know that we're in a rebuilding phase.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:40 PM
HeShootsHeScores

I say he has mtl in his mind, and he is using dallas to get the most out of his contract with the habs. Positive thinking.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This might sound very 'cliché'

But the "real one's"...welcome that kind of attention.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Does anyone have a video of Vinnys interview after he found out he was bought out? Heard he was pretty bummed.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I say he has mtl in his mind, and he is using dallas to get the most out of his contract with the habs. Positive thinking.
It's usually the other way around

Old
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

No he doesn't! It's his decision. If he doesn't want to play in Montreal, that's his choice. Boo him for being a good player on another team? Sure! Hating him because of the petty reason that he disk sign where you wanted him too? ****ing ridiculous.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
I actually think this is the most plausible scenario...and i'm not sure how I feel about that.

Closed Thread