HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  #101
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,125
vCash: 243
lol all of the NHL are laughing at us right now for the Arniel hiring.............sigh.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  #102
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, it wasn't just Brassard; he was just the one who got noticed because Allan Walsh is a publicity *****. It was everybody. Let's just say that over here in Columbus we're... skeptical of the Arniel decision.

Pro tip: don't mention "piling on" to him. He might not take it well:
Thanks for the input Viqsi, always appreciated.

Question for anyone: what exactly is on Arniel's resume that makes him a viable candidate to run our PP?

__________________
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:46 PM
  #103
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, it wasn't just Brassard; he was just the one who got noticed because Allan Walsh is a publicity *****. It was everybody. Let's just say that over here in Columbus we're... skeptical of the Arniel decision.

Pro tip: don't mention "piling on" to him. He might not take it well:
I know Nash and Brassard hated Arniel, but were there any issues with Moore and Dorsett?

Thanks for chiming in Viqsi, definitely curious on Arniel's tactics.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  #104
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun
 
Cynical TyranT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: TX
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 4,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Agreed. Anyone calling him the Matt Cooke of the 90s wasn't watching hockey in the 90s. As someone else said, he had plenty of company. Rick Tocchet sez sup.
Keep going... Marchment, Domi, Peca, Claude Lemieux, Chris Simon... lot of savages in the game at that time.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  #105
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, it wasn't just Brassard; he was just the one who got noticed because Allan Walsh is a publicity *****. It was everybody. Let's just say that over here in Columbus we're... skeptical of the Arniel decision.

Pro tip: don't mention "piling on" to him. He might not take it well:
If Brass's production drops at all next season, I'm 100% willing to kidnap Arniel and dump him the middle of Siberia with Bryz. He won't become a problem

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  #106
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
I see the situation regarding Arniel & Brassard as this:

-Arniel was in over his head as the HC. Which means he did/said things that probably would have liked to do over again or handled better.

-It was a depressing environment in Columbus at the time.
I will have to say that Arniel was part of why it was a depressing environment. While people can disagree on Todd Richard's coaching abilities, you can't deny he took the nothing he was left with and started to build something positive out of it.

When the losing started under Arniel, he had no answers and was at a loss on how to right the ship. bridges were burned with players for reasons as a fan I don't know. The concerning thing is how quickly he lost the room after a moderately successful first season. For a team full of lows in their history, they were at their lowest under him. It was under his watch that Rick Nash decided he wanted out of town.

While I hope he certainly learned something from the experience, the rangers certainly have a few players in the room already who already have certain beliefs about him in one way or another. If he truly has changed and those players had a negative experience with him before, they had better rebuild those bridges quickly or there could be big issues with team chemistry.

Iron Balls McGinty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  #107
GoChill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Blue Jackets East

I guess CBJ East continues since both Arniel and Newell Brown were former Blue Jacket coaches.

In Columbus Arniel:
Kept scratching Brassard - Brassard played much better immediately after Arniel left
Wouldn't play Nash on the PK even though Nash is an excellent PK'er.
Played Dorsett on the top line - The CBJ had injuries but not that many.

Arniel said he wanted to keep Nash fresh and really didn't give him many minutes/gm for a star player, especially for a star on a team without much other talent.

Shortly before Arniel was fired he had an exchange with the press where he was asked about the teams struggles 4 on 4. He said although the team gave up a 4 on 4 goal tonight that cost them, over all he felt the team played pretty well 4 on 4 so far that year. Fair enough until a reporter pointed out seconds later that the team was 0 GF and 7 GA 4 on 4 YTD. At that point Arniel kind of went off about the press piling on. I wouldn't expect him to know off the top of his head our GF/GA 4 on 4 but it was disturbing for a head coach not to realize it wasn't very good.

My favorite Arniel quote was he's talking about his troubles with the CBJ and basically saying that he has a good track record as a coach and (this is great) "I didn't just suddenly become stupid this season." Jackets fans all agreed. You know what he meant but it didn't come out right.

Truthfully, he had a good history as a coach despite the issues in Columbus and will probably be a solid add to the staff, I just couldn't help but take a few pot shots at him.

GoChill

GoChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:49 PM
  #108
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
If Brass's production drops at all next season, I'm 100% willing to kidnap Arniel and dump him the middle of Siberia with Bryz. He won't become a problem
I'll get the van and the donuts.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
  #109
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Ive been away a while so forgive my ignorance, but, are you saying Beuke's been tutoring McI? That's cool if so
Beuke's been the assistant coach in Hartford since last summer.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:51 PM
  #110
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
I will have to say that Arniel was part of why it was a depressing environment. While people can disagree on Todd Richard's coaching abilities, you can't deny he took the nothing he was left with and started to build something positive out of it.

When the losing started under Arniel, he had no answers and was at a loss on how to right the ship. bridges were burned with players for reasons as a fan I don't know. The concerning thing is how quickly he lost the room after a moderately successful first season. For a team full of lows in their history, they were at their lowest under him. It was under his watch that Rick Nash decided he wanted out of town.

While I hope he certainly learned something from the experience, the rangers certainly have a few players in the room already who already have certain beliefs about him in one way or another. If he truly has changed and those players had a negative experience with him before, they had better rebuild those bridges quickly or there could be big issues with team chemistry.
Yikes. That doesn't sound good at all.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:52 PM
  #111
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I'll get the van and the donuts.
We aren't driving to Siberia with Bryz. It'll take too long and he'll ramble on about tigers, bears, and the Flyers' defense the whole time. We MAY need to borrow the private jet that got Brass and Moore to NY after the trade. That thing must be fast.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:54 PM
  #112
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
I'm not concerned about player relations with Arniel. AV is head coach, that's his job. Arniel is here to draw X's and O's. My concern is how he's gonna make our PP better.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  #113
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
The dynamic duo of doom and gloom at it again

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
  #114
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
We aren't driving to Siberia with Bryz. It'll take too long and he'll ramble on about tigers, bears, and the Flyers' defense the whole time. We MAY need to borrow the private jet that got Brass and Moore to NY after the trade. That thing must be fast.
I can't drive anyway

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:57 PM
  #115
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChill View Post
I guess CBJ East continues since both Arniel and Newell Brown were former Blue Jacket coaches.

In Columbus Arniel:
Kept scratching Brassard - Brassard played much better immediately after Arniel left
Wouldn't play Nash on the PK even though Nash is an excellent PK'er.
Played Dorsett on the top line - The CBJ had injuries but not that many.

Arniel said he wanted to keep Nash fresh and really didn't give him many minutes/gm for a star player, especially for a star on a team without much other talent.
Arniel won't be choosing which players get scratched.
Arniel won't be running the PK.
Arniel won't be putting together the forward lines or determining how much time each player/line gets.

Quote:
Shortly before Arniel was fired he had an exchange with the press where he was asked about the teams struggles 4 on 4. He said although the team gave up a 4 on 4 goal tonight that cost them, over all he felt the team played pretty well 4 on 4 so far that year. Fair enough until a reporter pointed out seconds later that the team was 0 GF and 7 GA 4 on 4 YTD. At that point Arniel kind of went off about the press piling on. I wouldn't expect him to know off the top of his head our GF/GA 4 on 4 but it was disturbing for a head coach not to realize it wasn't very good.
Are you familiar with Torts' pressers? Arniel won't be doing many with the Rangers.

Quote:
My favorite Arniel quote was he's talking about his troubles with the CBJ and basically saying that he has a good track record as a coach and (this is great) "I didn't just suddenly become stupid this season." Jackets fans all agreed. You know what he meant but it didn't come out right.

Truthfully, he had a good history as a coach despite the issues in Columbus and will probably be a solid add to the staff, I just couldn't help but take a few pot shots at him.

GoChill
So he's the Dan Quail of the NHL?

I'm not worried about it. Assistant coaches are easy to replace.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #116
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashtyAttack View Post
We aren't driving to Siberia with Bryz. It'll take too long and he'll ramble on about tigers, bears, and the Flyers' defense the whole time. We MAY need to borrow the private jet that got Brass and Moore to NY after the trade. That thing must be fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I can't drive anyway
I'm more concerned with how you two are gonna cross a body of water in a van

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #117
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Hello people!

Canucks fan coming in peace! Hopefully Arneil will be better as an associate coach than he was a NHL/AHL head coach. I am very happy that our prospects won't be subjected to him any further but honest to god I wish you guys the best and hope he does well for your organization.

Also just say no to Newell Brown, unless you like 50+ drop passes through the neutral zone per game with an unwillingness to try something else when it doesn't work.


Good luck!

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #118
GoChill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Dorsett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I know Nash and Brassard hated Arniel, but were there any issues with Moore and Dorsett?

Thanks for chiming in Viqsi, definitely curious on Arniel's tactics.
I believe Moore was mostly in the AHL at the time. Dorsett probably loved him since Arniel kept putting him on the first or second line and using him on the PP!

NYR top line Nash-Richards-Dorsett

GoChill

GoChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  #119
BwayBshirt
Registered User
 
BwayBshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: My NY State of Mind
Country: United States
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Regarding Arniel, here's the keys to all of this:

-Right now, it's unclear if Brown will be part of the staff or not. If so, then we will see how the pieces fit soon i.e. if Arniel will be an "upstairs" AC.

-More importantly, he's NOT the head coach. He will not be calling the shots as far as ice time, who plays where, etc.

He'll be here to assist AV. There will likely not be any lingering issues moving forward.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
  #120
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,751
vCash: 500
I understand why Vigneault would want Arniel to join him, he coached the Moose so they obviously had some sort of working relationship in Vancouver.

However, knowing that there was some bad blood between Brass and Arniel, and that there was a toxic environment in the Columbus locker room when he coached and we now have 4 players who were on that team... ugh. The Rangers just got rid of a coach in part because some of the players got sick of him; now they are hiring an assistant coach who had a poor relationship with at least one of our players.

As long as he's upstairs and has limited interaction with the players, maybe it will be OK. But some of his coaching tactics were questionable in Columbus - on the PP, Arniel had Nash play on the half wall and the perimeter and his PP production took a dip.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
  #121
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Hello people!

Canucks fan coming in peace! Hopefully Arneil will be better as an associate coach than he was a NHL/AHL head coach. I am very happy that our prospects won't be subjected to him any further but honest to god I wish you guys the best and hope he does well for your organization.

Also just say no to Newell Brown, unless you like 50+ drop passes through the neutral zone per game with an unwillingness to try something else when it doesn't work.


Good luck!
We have Brad Richards on the team, so we're gonna see that anyway regardless of who the coach is

Thanks for stopping in

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  #122
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Hello people!

Canucks fan coming in peace! Hopefully Arneil will be better as an associate coach than he was a NHL/AHL head coach. I am very happy that our prospects won't be subjected to him any further but honest to god I wish you guys the best and hope he does well for your organization.

Also just say no to Newell Brown, unless you like 50+ drop passes through the neutral zone per game with an unwillingness to try something else when it doesn't work.


Good luck!
Thanks for the input.

I'm curious for the bold, what did Arniel do to the prospects?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  #123
GoChill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Arniel won't be choosing which players get scratched.
Arniel won't be running the PK.
Arniel won't be putting together the forward lines or determining how much time each player/line gets.



Are you familiar with Torts' pressers? Arniel won't be doing many with the Rangers.



So he's the Dan Quail of the NHL?

I'm not worried about it. Assistant coaches are easy to replace.
I agree with everything you said he won't be doing those things as an assistant. I was just passing along a little fun with Arnie.

Interestingly that quote also made me think of Dan Quayle.

GoChill

GoChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:07 PM
  #124
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChill View Post
I agree with everything you said he won't be doing those things as an assistant. I was just passing along a little fun with Arnie.

Interestingly that quote also made me think of Dan Quayle.

GoChill
Lol, ironic that I spelled his name wrong. Doh!

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  #125
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I'm more concerned with how you two are gonna cross a body of water in a van
I have a good mechanic

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.