HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton

Old
07-02-2013, 01:01 PM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
My question is simply is he ready to be traded?
Could still use more offensive defenseman in backend.
Maybe they could trade Laughton + Coburn for a young #1 defenseman?
If you are looking for a legit #1 now then this doesn't even get you in the door IMO. Even Pronger, who was far from young when we traded for him, cost a ton more than this. A young #1 dman just isn't likely to be traded and I can't see this package NOT being bettered by another team.

If we want to get a #1 dman then we are going to have to part with something that hurts, not "spare parts". For someone like Bogosian, it would likely cost something like Voracek straight up or B Schenn + a 1st. That's a lot to give up but you have to make a hell of a package to get a team to part with a guy who could really make a difference on our blueline.

IMO, a package of Laughton + 2nd could get us a guy like Gormley. He's a young PMD who will most likely be a solid 2nd pairing guy with top pairing potential (even if it's a minute chance).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:04 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solefool View Post
Wait, so the Flyers can't stick him in the AHL this year? He has to either make the NHL roster or they have to send him back to the OHL for another year? That kinda sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Wut?

He's not eligible for the AHL?
He is legally under contract to his CHL team in juniors. The CHL has an "out clause" with the NHL where the player can play for his NHL team. The agreement does not extend to the player playing in the AHL. The player can only play in the AHL after his commitment to his junior team is finished for the season.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Why the hell would the Flyers trade a first rounder that's only played 5 games at the NHL level?

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Why the hell would the Flyers trade a first rounder that's only played 5 games at the NHL level?
If you can use him to fill another need then it's something you have to consider. He's a 3rd line player with 2nd line potential. The right value for him is a 2nd pairing dman.

If we don't move one of our centers then Laughton will most likely have to move to wing at some point in the near future.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
If you can use him to fill another need then it's something you have to consider. He's a 3rd line player with 2nd line potential. The right value for him is a 2nd pairing dman.

If we don't move one of our centers then Laughton will most likely have to move to wing at some point in the near future.
Teams very rarely trade assets, especially high end first rounders, before they have at least a good idea of what they're going to be at the NHL level.

I'm also not opposed to letting Laughton develop as a winger. Couturier and him could be awesome together as a two way threat.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Curufinwe

Unless Laughton is very good at faceoffs I don't see the problem with him playing wing.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Teams very rarely trade assets, especially high end first rounders, before they have at least a good idea of what they're going to be at the NHL level.

I'm also not opposed to letting Laughton develop as a winger. Couturier and him could be awesome together as a two way threat.

I agree. I think they could give us a great 3rd line. Awesome defensive play and they could also bring a fair amount of offense too IMO. I actually WANt us to keep Laughton and play on Coots wing (unless of course we bump Schenn to wing and Coots up to the 2nd line )

However, if we do trade Laughton to fill a need on the blueline then I wouldn't be too upset. It's an option that should at least be explored.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Unless Laughton is very good at faceoffs I don't see the problem with him playing wing.
He's the kind of player that would open up space on Couturier's wing.

I'd be for it.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:58 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's the kind of player that would open up space on Couturier's wing.

I'd be for it.
I think he'd be a great partner for Coots. I just think he'll begin his career on the 4th line at center and that's not necessarily a bad thing. He'll get invaluable experience playing center and can be brought along more slowly playing on the 4th line to start his NHL career but eventually 3rd line wing is where I see him ending up.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think he'd be a great partner for Coots. I just think he'll begin his career on the 4th line at center and that's not necessarily a bad thing. He'll get invaluable experience playing center and can be brought along more slowly playing on the 4th line to start his NHL career but eventually 3rd line wing is where I see him ending up.
I wonder if people would be willing to try something ballsy if we get Lecavalier...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Lecavalier - Read/Gagne
Schenn - Couturier - Laughton

Old
07-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
I wonder if people would be willing to try something ballsy if we get Lecavalier...

I think we would have too. But I don't know if I would want Laughton on the wing without atleast giving him a shot at center duties, even if it is as the 4C.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
BackWithaVengeance

OK, let's do it the Flyers way.

Sign Lecavalier to a $ 25M., 5 year-contract.

Trade Couturier, Coburn and the 2nd round pick in 2014 (of course)to Winnipeg for Bogosian, Wheeler and Thorburn.

Sign Thomas to a $ 7.5M., 2-year contract.

Flip Mesz for a pick (cap reasons).

Roll with

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-LeCavalier-Simmonds
Wheeler-Laughton-Read
Talbot-Thorburn-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Bogosian
Grossmann-Gustaffson

Screw patience.

Reload next season again !!!

Last edited by BackWithaVengeance: 07-02-2013 at 10:28 PM.
BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:04 PM
phlocky

Quote:

If we were to do this then it's unlikely we sign Gagne and IMO we'd have Schenn on the 2nd line and Simmonds on the 3rd and that 3rd line could be really tough to play against.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:07 PM
phlocky

Quote:

Trade Couturier, Coburn and the 2nd round pick in 2014 (of course)to Winnipeg for Bogosian, Wheeler and Thorburn.

Roll with

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Wheeler-Laughton-Read
Talbot-Thorburn-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Bogosian
Grossmann-Gustaffson

Screw patience.

I love Coots and I think Coburn gets a raw deal around here but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, but there is no way in hell the Jets would, lol. Also, I know it's just semantics but bogo would be our best dman and he should be our top pairing in this scenario.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:29 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:

Roll with

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Wheeler-Laughton-Read
Talbot-Thorburn-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Streit-Bogosian
Grossmann-Gustaffson

Screw patience.

Step 1 Check!!!

Old
07-02-2013, 10:31 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
I love Coots and I think Coburn gets a raw deal around here but I'd do that trade in a heartbeat, but there is no way in hell the Jets would, lol. Also, I know it's just semantics but bogo would be our best dman and he should be our top pairing in this scenario.
It comes all down to the bolded part. I hope Homer stays smart.

DON'T PANIC plz.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Clown Baby

Send Laughton back to the Generals. Kid's guaranteed a spot on Canada.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Larry44

Quote:

How do you know? How do you rate a guy like Adam Henrique? Because I think Laughton is going to be that level of player. By the OHL playoffs, he was the best, fastest player on the ice. He was blowing guys like Ryan Strome off the ice, and was better than Boone Jenner on his own team, highly rated prospects a year older.

I really think he could end up being a scoring threat in the NHL because of his speed and skill. As a lacrosse player, he just knows how to go to the net (see Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Shanahan and all the other great lacrosse players in the NHL).

Don't sell Laughton until he gets a chance to show what he's done. And if he needs another year in Jr. so be it, it won't hurt his development to go to the WJC...

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I really do think Laughton is going to be better than people realize...

Which is only going to cause a problem...

A good problem...

But a problem nonetheless...

Old
07-02-2013, 11:46 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I really do think Laughton is going to be better than people realize...

Which is only going to cause a problem...

A good problem...

But a problem nonetheless...
Completely agree with you here, Chris. I think Laughton will be a more popular player than Brayden Schenn by season's end (if they both make it to that point, of course).

I really want Laughton to have every opportunity. I really see him being a real player. I wonder if he would have a future at wing? I realize that would waste some of his talent, but maybe if he could adapt into a Shane Doan type on the wing, it could work out? I'd really hate losing him.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:54 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Completely agree with you here, Chris. I think Laughton will be a more popular player than Brayden Schenn by season's end (if they both make it to that point, of course).

I really want Laughton to have every opportunity. I really see him being a real player. I wonder if he would have a future at wing? I realize that would waste some of his talent, but maybe if he could adapt into a Shane Doan type on the wing, it could work out? I'd really hate losing him.
Yeah I don't know about that. Schenn will be getting top 6 minutes most likely while Laughton will be playing bottom 6 minutes.

I see Schenn taking his game to the next level next year.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yeah I don't know about that. Schenn will be getting top 6 minutes most likely while Laughton will be playing bottom 6 minutes.

I see Schenn taking his game to the next level next year.
I kind of hope they don't sign Gagne, but instead, sign Hall.

My reasoning?

I don't know. I think Laughton belongs in our top 9 next year. He just has this thing that I haven't seen from a forward since Richards. Laughton, at the CHL level, just willed things to happen; and they did. He charges, headfirst, through every single obstacle until they are no longer there, and on the other side of the puck, he turns himself into a mobile brick wall.

Of course, these are traits I saw from him against CHL competition along with glimpses from his trail period last year, but I'm not so sure if Schenn, long term, is a better player than Laughton.

Yeah, yeah. Pedigree, potential, and all that jazz. We've all heard it.

Laughton just has it.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:04 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post

If Laughton makes the team he'll probably play limited minutes centering the 4th line. Couturier lit up juniors before coming in as an 18-year old and HE hasn't been given the opportunity to open up his offensive game. What makes anyone think that Lavi is going to give Laughton a shot in that role??? I don't agree with it, but it just seems to me that Lavi won't give a rookie that kind of shot unless he's basically given no choice (kind of like how he was given all these young unproven guys at once in Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, and Voracek).

Old
07-03-2013, 12:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
If Laughton makes the team he'll probably play limited minutes centering the 4th line. Couturier lit up juniors before coming in as an 18-year old and HE hasn't been given the opportunity to open up his offensive game. What makes anyone think that Lavi is going to give Laughton a shot in that role??? I don't agree with it, but it just seems to me that Lavi won't give a rookie that kind of shot unless he's basically given no choice (kind of like how he was given all these young unproven guys at once in Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, and Voracek).
You earn your time here in Philadelphia.

I thoroughly expect the Flyers to sign a top 9 winger leaving Laughton as the 4C.

I don't think he'll be the 4C in 2014-15. Actually, I chalk it up as an impossibility. Laughton is going to be a good NHLer for a long time.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:16 AM
hockeyfreak7

I tend to agree with Chris here. I see more long term potential in Laughton than I see in Schenn. To be perfectly honest, I'm not all that enamored by Schenn. He's a talented player, but I just don't see a game breaking quality in him. That's part of the reason I want him on the wing. I think he's always going to leave us wanting just a little bit more out of him. He is and will be a good player, but I don't expect the world out of him like some people do.

As for Laughton, yes, he will start on the fourth line, but with injuries, he'll get his shot in the top nine, I'm sure.

I know I advocate shopping him, but unless we can get a stud defender, I want him on the team. He's a guy that will turn a lot of heads once he makes it.

And phlocky, to your point (a legitimate one), Couturier has been in a shut down role because he is so damn good at it. This year, Laughton will get his top nine time with injury minutes. He'll get a chance to be out there with some of our talented players. I'm not saying he'll put up special numbers, but I do see him impressing a lot of people and winning the fans over next season.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote