HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChill View Post
I believe Moore was mostly in the AHL at the time. Dorsett probably loved him since Arniel kept putting him on the first or second line and using him on the PP!

NYR top line Nash-Richards-Dorsett

GoChill
That's both good and bad news. Good news is that Dorse may be one of his faves, bad news is that he may lean on him too much....

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
That's both good and bad news. Good news is that Dorse may be one of his faves, bad news is that he may lean on him too much....
Arniel isn't the head coach, he's not the one who will be making personnel decisions.

After looking up some of the stuff that went on with Brassard and Arniel, it does make me nervous that the Rangers are doing this, but hopefully the different positions will mitigate some of that.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

The more ACs, the more expendable they are. The more ACs, ye less responsibility each one will have. Sathers won't hesitate to fire Arniel if push comes to shove.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
GoChill

Dorsett

Quote:
Honestly, we had a lot of injuries at the time. I don't think Arniel wanted to play him that high in the line up he was just making do. Dorset did respond though and played some of his best hockey. You really gotta love Dorse. I know we'll miss him this year.

GoChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Maybe a more confident Derick Brassard will show Arniel up and play even better.

07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I'm curious for the bold, what did Arniel do to the prospects?
I might be totally wrong on this but I think the Moose were ne of those AHL franchises that are independent and not owned by a NHL club. They have a partnership with a NHL team but their main goal is to win games/championships, and make money. Developing prospects is not their top goal, so you're much more likely to see established AHL vets and stars being relied upon than seeing young prospects given lots of icetime to develop

That's all to say, coaches for those teams have a different priority than coaches for teams like the Wolfpack, and it's not always the greatest for developing players

Old
07-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I'm curious for the bold, what did Arniel do to the prospects?
Playing favourites over better players, poor systems, destroying confidence, not putting players in a chance to succeed, and generally playing players against their strengths.

Like I said maybe he will be a better #2

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Levitate

oh and by the way, Arniel was an assistant coach in Buffalo in their good years when their PP was amazing. If the Rangers get that Arniel then it might work out well

Old
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Arniel isn't the head coach, he's not the one who will be making personnel decisions.

After looking up some of the stuff that went on with Brassard and Arniel, it does make me nervous that the Rangers are doing this, but hopefully the different positions will mitigate some of that.
True, it's much different being an assistant coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChill View Post
Honestly, we had a lot of injuries at the time. I don't think Arniel wanted to play him that high in the line up he was just making do. Dorset did respond though and played some of his best hockey. You really gotta love Dorse. I know we'll miss him this year.
That's great to hear.

Quote:
I might be totally wrong on this but I think the Moose were ne of those AHL franchises that are independent and not owned by a NHL club. They have a partnership with a NHL team but their main goal is to win games/championships, and make money. Developing prospects is not their top goal, so you're much more likely to see established AHL vets and stars being relied upon than seeing young prospects given lots of icetime to develop

That's all to say, coaches for those teams have a different priority than coaches for teams like the Wolfpack, and it's not always the greatest for developing players
The Moose were still property of the Vancouver Canucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Playing favourites over better players, poor systems, destroying confidence, not putting players in a chance to succeed, and generally playing players against their strengths.

Like I said maybe he will be a better #2
Hopefully.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
GoChill

Young Players

Quote:

One of the things the CBJ said when they brought him in was he would be better with young players than the recently fired Ken Hitchcock. That worked out real well.

GoChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 04:43 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sather and Gorton have discussed the possible assistant coaches with AV. If there was a serious issue between Brassard and Arniel,the Rangers brass has looked into it. Maybe they are satisfied it's not a major issue. Management is involved in the process of hiring the assistants too.
What management? Sather is the only management there. He decides whether it was major or minor. No one else. Sather is an old school, his thinking is players may fire coaches, but they do not hire them, I do. Or management does using your terms.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Sorry for asking a question that may have been asked, since I was working and I don't want to go through this thread.

What do each of them or what will they (Ulf and Arniel) coach?

07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Sorry for asking a question that may have been asked, since I was working and I don't want to go through this thread.

Ulf: Cheap shots

Arniel: Nash and Brassard hatred

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post

I THINK it's

Ulf: Defense
Arniel: PP

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
I THINK it's

Ulf: Defense
Arniel: PP
defense and PK for Ulf

Arniel ran a good PP in Buffalo so I'd assume that will be his focus

Old
07-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
I went and did a little digging...

From the CBJ board:
The "Fire Arniel" thread (may be some tidbits in there)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1006117

What is wrong with Brassard? thread (from the same time period)
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1043799

Link to article where Brass' agent rips Arniel:
http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...t-unloads.html

It will be interesting to see how things play out in NY. Brassard's performances seem to directly depend on how he feels about things.
arniel won't be the ones controlling ice time to make him the scapegoat, nor would he be in a position to need one...so while he and brassard might not be BFFs i'm not sure there is much to worry about here. be different if arniel was named the head coach.

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Rangers79

I doubt that even as an assistant coach he'll have much say on Brassard. It'll be Vigneault in charge and I'm sure Brassard will get good minutes and play fine.

Rangers79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ulf: Cheap shots

Arniel: Nash and Brassard hatred

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I know Nash and Brassard hated Arniel, but were there any issues with Moore and Dorsett?
Moore wasn't really notable during Arniel's tenure. He seemed to "like" Dorsett in that he gave DD tons of ice time, but I've also heard that DD didn't much care for him. So I dunno. Flip a coin.

See GoChill's post for a few more points - particularly the "never play Nash on the PK" bit, which drove us all through the ****ing roof. Seriously, at one point we had so many injuries we had to put Nash back on the PK, wherein he proceeded to kick ass and take names... and then Arniel yanks him right back off as soon as injuries heal. In a year where our PK was massively sucking. It was maddening.

He's not the HC, so he won't exactly destroy the Rangers. But his tenure here was g-dawful... and this coming from someone who put in a real effort to believe in the guy and thought he was going to be something special.

Hopefully he's learned from the experience. Otherwise...

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Sergei Shirokov

I feel bad for you guys, Arniel's a moron, I thought AV was terrible but following the Wolves as closely as I did through the lockout I was appalled by Arniel's coaching, we probably had the worst tandem of NHL & AHL head coaches last season.

I'm hoping it works out for you guys though!

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Moore wasn't really notable during Arniel's tenure. He seemed to "like" Dorsett in that he gave DD tons of ice time, but I've also heard that DD didn't much care for him. So I dunno. Flip a coin.

See GoChill's post for a few more points - particularly the "never play Nash on the PK" bit, which drove us all through the ****ing roof. Seriously, at one point we had so many injuries we had to put Nash back on the PK, wherein he proceeded to kick ass and take names... and then Arniel yanks him right back off as soon as injuries heal. In a year where our PK was massively sucking. It was maddening.

He's not the HC, so he won't exactly destroy the Rangers. But his tenure here was g-dawful... and this coming from someone who put in a real effort to believe in the guy and thought he was going to be something special.

Oh believe me he hasn't, he was just as bad coaching our minor league team last year in Chicago.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I feel bad for you guys, Arniel's a moron, I thought AV was terrible but following the Wolves as closely as I did through the lockout I was appalled by Arniel's coaching, we probably had the worst tandem of NHL & AHL head coaches last season.

I'm hoping it works out for you guys though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Oh believe me he hasn't, he was just as bad coaching our minor league team last year in Chicago.
Yikes, that isn't good news at all. Hopefully it works out, but the pressing reviews on Arniel seems pretty awful so far.

Anyone know the work Samuelsson did? Coyotes fans lurking? Didn't like the departure of Sullivan, I thought he did a fantastic job working a great Rangers defense.

BTW Sergei Shirokov, how was Newell Brown?

Old
07-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Yikes, that isn't good news at all. Hopefully it works out, but the pressing reviews on Arniel seems pretty awful so far.

Anyone know the work Samuelsson did? Coyotes fans lurking? Didn't like the departure of Sullivan, I thought he did a fantastic job working a great Rangers defense.
According to Brooks, Sullivan was disliked more than Tortorella in the room.

Doesn't matter anyway, the only time ac's get noticed is when they get fired.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
According to Brooks, Sullivan was disliked more than Tortorella in the room.

Doesn't matter anyway, the only time ac's get noticed is when they get fired.
Well if the players turn on the coach, it's time for the coach to go.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

BTW Sergei Shirokov, how was Newell Brown?
His decision making is unbelievably bad.

Example: Jordan Schroeder & Zack Kassian were playing pretty well, Schroeder had something like 4 points in his last 5 games, Kassian about that too.

then one game Kevin Connaution single-handedly cost us the game late, we were up by a goal with not much time left and he made a brutal giveaway on one goal then right away on the 2nd one his defensive positioning was terrible, it was something like that.

Then the next game Arniel scratches Kassian, Schroeder & Connaution, and Schroeder & Kassian weren't even on the ice and both had been playing fine, then a big deal was made of it out here in Vancouver.

He has an unbelieve love for scrubs who can't play, like Darren Haydar was just terrible all year and he kept getting top line minutes over Schroeder who was still putting up points at a great rate like .80 pts or something like that, probably a bit better, & its funny too cause after Schroeder was sent down Arniel finally put him on the top line due to some injuries and he was a PPG player. He also burnt out our goalie Matt Climie but never giving him a rest despite our prospect Joe Cannata being available who has been nothing short of great in his AHL starts so far.

I could go on, but anyways hopefully it works it just seemed like he went out of his way to put veterans who were not working at all ahead of prospects who just needed a bit more opportunity to really help the team, no surprise they missed the playoffs.