HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keith Ballard bought out

Old
07-02-2013, 02:00 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think this also highlights that Gillis isn't very good at making trades under duress. He should take note of this and adjust accordingly. If he's more pro-active, as MS mentions, then he can avoid placing himself in such situations and can stem the tide before it rises.
I fully agree with this. I think this situation, and the Luongo situation will make MG a better GM for the future.

CrazyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:29 PM
Dado

vCash:
So has he been put on buyout waivers yet?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
With a worse lineup, in a tougher division, than last year.
If he was done, then I'd agree.

But it is July 2nd.

Come on man.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
After what happened at the draft, I'm a little worried that Edler gets traded since Ballard didn't get claimed.
Well, Edler has control of the situation now (being trade), so he can reject being traded now. They're going to be left with no choice to buyout Ballard, so I don't know why they don't just do it.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Well, Edler has control of the situation now (being trade), so he can reject being traded now. They're going to be left with no choice to buyout Ballard, so I don't know why they don't just do it.
Has to clear unconditional waivers first.
Canucks have to buy him out, unless Aquilini's have a cash-flow problem that hasn't been discussed (which is also a possibility in a bad economy).
If Canucks do not buy out Keith Ballard, I will have some serious concerns about the Canucks' ownership's financial situation, and what they are not telling us.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:56 PM
ARSix

It simply has to happen at this point. It fixes basically the whole cap crunch problem for next year. As soon as he's bought out, hey, we've got a playoff-quality NHL hockey team again because we can re-sign the RFA's and UFA's we need to fill out the bottom 6.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I think this also highlights that Gillis isn't very good at making trades under duress. He should take note of this and adjust accordingly. If he's more pro-active, as MS mentions, then he can avoid placing himself in such situations and can stem the tide before it rises.
I think you nailed it.
My problem with the way he handled the goalies is that he said the CBA changed everything. And before that it was the fact that other GM's wouldn't trade because they knew the CBA was up for negotiation.
He should have recognized that the CBA was likely to reduce cap room and could impact existing contracts. The time to act was much earlier. He should have also recognized that other GM's viewed Luongo's value differently than him and that the perceived value was not going to increase after a season of being Schneider's back up. His stubborness an dinability to be flexible and change his mind really hurt him here.
He backed himself into a corner and eventually had two options; Buy out Luongo or trade Schneider at the last minute. I'm sure Aqulinini had already told him that option 1 was not even an option so he made the inevitable trade once the penny dropped that no trade for Luongo was possible.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 02:59 PM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Has to clear unconditional waivers first.
Canucks have to buy him out, unless Aquilini's have a cash-flow problem that hasn't been discussed (which is also a possibility in a bad economy).
If Canucks do not buy out Keith Ballard, I will have some serious concerns about the Canucks' ownership's financial situation, and what they are not telling us.
He just bought a AHL so cash flow shouldn't be the problem, or he should've budget better knowing we may need to buyout Ballard and possiablely Booth. If we trade Edler to replace him with Ballard I'll be pissed!. I can understand the goalie thing, Luongo has no value in a trade and no one wanted his contract so hands were tied and we got a great prospect, but this trading Edler and replace him with Ballard is just crap.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Dado

vCash:
Does Ballard have to clear buyout waivers by July 4th, or does he have to go on buyout waivers before July 4th?

Old
07-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Bankerguy

vCash: 633
If they buyout Ballard, are the Canucks completely free of his cap hit? or do they get some small cap hit penalty?

Bankerguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM
Dado

vCash:
As free as Bobby McGee.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
As free as Bobby McGee.
How'd we get from Keith Ballard to Janis Joplin?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
How'd we get from Keith Ballard to Janis Joplin?
Because they are equally efficient ice hockey defenders?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
King of the ES*

I hate this move.

Ballard can play - we're letting an NHL defenceman walk away for nothing. A guy who might well have the ability to thrive under a new coach. A guy who was inexplicably and perpetually in the previous coach's doghouse.

The smarter thing would've been to allow some stupid GM to overpay for a guy like Edler in a trade. Now we're just making our roster worse, and drifting closer and closer towards Mediocristan. I don't get it.

King of the ES* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:23 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
If they buyout Ballard, are the Canucks completely free of his cap hit? or do they get some small cap hit penalty?
1.4m against the cap i think off the top of my head.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I hate this move.

Ballard can play - we're letting an NHL defenceman walk away for nothing. A guy who might well have the ability to thrive under a new coach. A guy who was inexplicably and perpetually in the previous coach's doghouse.

The smarter thing would've been to allow some stupid GM to overpay for a guy like Edler in a trade. Now we're just making our roster worse, and drifting closer and closer towards Mediocristan. I don't get it.
Keeping Edler and buying out Ballard is making our roster worse? Am I missing something here? We can't afford to keep Ballard, and for what he brings he's worth only around 2M.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post
1.4m against the cap i think off the top of my head.
No, if they use a compliance buyout there is no cap hit whatsoever.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I hate this move.

Define overpay? If Anaheim rings up Bobby Ryan+, sure you hear them out and consider it. However, if teams are offering a slew prospects and little else. What interest do we have in that? Even if we did get a good roster player. We could not afford him and Ballard. This is just the cost of a cap world.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
TheSnowLeopard

Quote:
Every other team in the NHL just let him walk for nothing as well. Can't get blood from a stone.

TheSnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:30 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Yup my bad forgot about the compliance.

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama View Post
Because they are equally efficient ice hockey defenders?

Excellent.

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:36 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Keeping Edler and buying out Ballard is making our roster worse? Am I missing something here? We can't afford to keep Ballard, and for what he brings he's worth only around 2M.
There's a good chance of that, yes. I don't know what the offers were, but guys like Skinner & Couturier were being thrown around. I'll have Skinner + Ballard over Edler on my team, quite easily.

And I know we heard that Carolina wasn't interested, yes, but if it's a comparable player being offered elsewhere, you get the point. I don't think Edler's the franchise d-man that a lot of people evidently do. He's good, but he's expendable.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:37 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Define overpay? If Anaheim rings up Bobby Ryan+, sure you hear them out and consider it. However, if teams are offering a slew prospects and little else. What interest do we have in that? Even if we did get a good roster player. We could not afford him and Ballard. This is just the cost of a cap world.
Put it this way - would you rather have Edler, or Ballard + Domi (11th pick)? I'm taking the latter.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerguy View Post
Completely free.

Horvat2Virtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
MS

Quote:
I hate this move.

This is so ridiculous there aren't even words for it, really.

First off, Ballard can't play. We watched him for over 150 games in a Canuck uniform, and he gave ZERO indication from start to finish that he was a capable top-4 NHL defender. He fails the eye test, fails the stats test, and fails the advanced stats test on this front. He sucked, period. And was given every opportunity not to suck.

Second, the notion that you should keep the assets that drag you down the most because they suck and have no value, and as a result are forced to trade assets of legitimate quality to get under the cap is the most ass-backward, ridiculous concept imaginable.

Ballard is a $4 million waste of space. $4 million waste of spaces don't help you win, under any circumstances.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote