HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils acquire Goalie Cory Schneider from the Canucks for the 9th Overall Pick

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
How does that guy bench so much? I hope Lou is trying to find that out right now.

He's trying to find out who's taking his picture and having them removed from the event.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Bleedred
Fire Dumbeor!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthy View Post
Schneider isn't going to be a star.....he already is one. In Mid-March, the Canucks were in a free-fall and in danger of missing the playoffs. Then Schneider starts standing on his head, and gets a run of games in a row and is basically the first star in every one. The team's D was god awful last season with only really one good pairing, and goaltending was the only reason the Canucks were in the playoffs with Luongo great early on, and Schneids picking up the tab in the 2nd half of the short season.

Devils got themselves a vezina candidate for the next few years. IMO, with a full season Schneids was at the very least a candidate, if not a frontrunner.

He's every bit as good a person and leader as well. He's extremely well spoken and knows to say the right thing in interviews seemingly all the time. He was a professional with the situation he was in, and every teammate has nothing but great things to say about him, as typically goalies can tend to be quirky at least, if not self-centered and arrogant. I tend to believe if you can handle the pressure in Vancouver, you can pretty much handle it anywhere else as there aren't too many more places the spotlight is as intense or as negative as the Vancouver fans and media can be.

Congrats Devils fans, you now have an answer to the miracle work Lundqvist has been doing across the river over the last few years.
I can back this up. As I've said already, Schneider was probably a top 3 Vezina finalist if a couple things didn't go wrong. Having a mild injury during the last week of the regular season that prevented him from playing, and maybe getting a few less starts earlier in the year kept him from being in the top 3 Vezina finalists. Bob probably still wins it, but Schneider could have possibly replaced Niemi or Lundqvist in the top 3 finalists.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Teddy von Josefson

Quote:
Originally Posted by theking72 View Post
I found a gif of Lou on the phone making the Schneider trade

oh my god, I love you ^^

Old
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

Lou's in shock that Horton is so ripped actually. He really should get a new phone though - that one gives the impression the team can't afford even a new phone for him.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Lou's in shock that Horton is so ripped actually. He really should get a new phone though - that one gives the impression the team can't afford even a new phone for him.

When will Schneider apparel be available ??

I want to buy a Schneider t-shirt

Old
07-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post

I'm sure the Devils den will have stuff by the start of the season.

Expanding on that the moment he resigns ( hopefully next summer and it never even becomes a question ) I'm getting a jersey

Old
07-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

Quote:

Like this?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Courtesy of toiletting from the Devils ******:

Old
07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post

Took me a second to notice Horton. For my beer league, I was debating putting a fake ad on our website and photoshop my buddy in one of those "He weighs X, benches Y" ads.

----------------

I think I've gradually gotten over the shock of the trade. As long as Schneider signs an extension, I'll be happy.

My problem was probably that I spend so much time debating prospects and we didn't even get to see a resolution to who the Devils would have selected. I feel like Milhouse never getting to see Itchy & Scratchy get to the fireworks factory.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think I've gradually gotten over the shock of the trade. As long as Schneider signs an extension, I'll be happy.

My problem was probably that I spend so much time debating prospects and we didn't even get to see a resolution to who the Devils would have selected. I feel like Milhouse never getting to see Itchy & Scratchy get to the fireworks factory.
My issue is that we walked in to the draft with our biggest problem being our offense, and we walked out doing nothing to address it.

Schneider is amazing and everything but our offense still blows and we're continuing to ignore it.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
sharp angle try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Took me a second to notice Horton. For my beer league, I was debating putting a fake ad on our website and photoshop my buddy in one of those "He weighs X, benches Y" ads.

----------------

I also noticed the guy lost his belly button. Maybe he wasn't born. Maybe he's a cyborg. Terminator?

Old
07-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
My issue is that we walked in to the draft with our biggest problem being our offense, and we walked out doing nothing to address it.

Schneider is amazing and everything but our offense still blows and we're continuing to ignore it.
Well, that too. I guess I was going to let the dust settle in free agency before condemning our offense. Certainly would have liked Domi/Horvat/Shinkaruk, but they're probably a couple years away from contributing.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:

It's easier to draft/sign/trade for scoring.

It's nearly impossible to get a elite goalie entering his prime who can be a franchise goalie for the next 10 seasons. We were able to and at a very low cost...can't pass that up.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Larsson
4th Line Boys

Our goaltenders are old, battered, and bruised. There was no better option than Schneider. Elite goaltending is next to impossible to get unless you strike gold in the draft and develop from within. Even then, you're talking about a development period of several years. What were we going to do after next season if we didn't make the trade? Continue to play a brittle Marty? Pray that Wedgewood/Kinkaid/Clermont became something more than average? Wasn't happening.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:29 PM
apice3*

Offenses can be fixed in one offseason. Getting a goaltender like Schneider for the price we paid doesn't come around very often.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic

I'd like to see Cory play a full season and a playoff run before anointing him a top5 goalie.

I am stoked over his promise and abilities but he needs to prove he can be the man here.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:

The way I look at it, sure our offense is still terrible going into next season, barring any trades or signings that we're all hoping Lou makes, but this is an opportunity Lou couldn't pass up. Before this trade happened, my preference was for Lou to try and solve the goaltending problem next off-season, or something like a stop-gap goalie if our prospects were looking promising. However, when a chance comes around to grab someone of Schneider's ilk for seemingly below market value, then Lou has to jump on that and run. Next off-season Lou could have gotten someone via free agency or trade to fill Marty's absence, but this takes care of that for the foreseeable future so long as Lou resigns Schneider long term.

Lou can sign forwards this off-season, or finally use our abundance of defensemen as trade bait to land a forward, but the chance to grab someone like Schneider doesn't come around often and I'm so happy Lou didn't waste his chance to get him.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I was actually shocked at how positive the response was at the draft.
There was a moment where everyone took it in, but the fans that were there were seemingly ecstatic. I was even surprised at my own response.

He's got big shoes to fill, and there'll be some who'll always hold him up to Marty... but I think this season will be enough time for the majority of people to come to terms with the fact that we'll never have a goalie like Marty again...... god, I'm getting sad typing this.
I was honestly shocked how negative it was here because it was so positive at the draft. Talk about mood whiplash...

Old
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I was honestly shocked how negative it was here because it was so positive at the draft. Talk about mood whiplash...
I think we're inherently prospect heavy here. Most of the fans at the draft wouldn't have known the difference between Bo Horvat and Hunter Shinkaruk. When they announced the Brent Burns trade at the 2011 Draft in Minnesota, the crowd erupted when Bettman said Devin Setoguchi was part of the return and there was silence when Charlie Coyle's name was included.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Devils731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
I was the opposite whiplash. Annoyed at the announcement, then much happier after I looked at Schneider's numbers. I knew they were good but didn't realize they had been that good.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Fayne Staley
Sather is better

Little Cory.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayne Staley View Post
Little Cory.

what a fraud.......just look at those oversized pads

Old
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
OmNomNom

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
what a fraud.......just look at those oversized pads
you sure that ain't lundqvist...

Old
07-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
My guess is he will ask Moose what he wants . If he wants to keep on playing we will move him, if not, Lou will offer him a job in the organization (After he buys him out / Moose retires)
I think this is the only sensible course of action here. Let Moose decide. He's a big boy, he understands what the options are, and he deserves the chance to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic View Post
You guys are going to LOVE Schneider. He isn't at all a flashy goalie, and doesn't showboat much making him seem not as good as he really is.
This description kind of reminds me of Marty, actually. Very steady, very Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Take care of Cory! We loved him here in Vancouver. I'm going to miss him - he's going to be a star in this league. Good luck to you guys.
I think this is a great fit for Schneider. The Devils know how to take care of their franchise goalie. I expect he will thrive here, and I'm hoping he plans to stay long term.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

The fact that both he and Lou have already exchanged interest in having him here long term is awesome.. No way in hell Lou doesn't offer Schneids an extension next summer.. As stated above, this organization only knows star goaltenders and I think Cory will love it here.. Gets to be closer to home, gets to know he's the #1 goalie, gets a solid young D corp and Kovalchuk in front of him.. As Lou said, the timing of all of this is perfect

Closed Thread