HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Kristo and Thomas are far closer in talent level than either is to Patrick Kane.

I agree that talent comes before character, as I've expressed some complaints with the way the Habs drafted this year, but Kristo doesn't belong to be in the same sentence as Kane.
point is not to compare Kristo to Kane...

simply that "character" as an attribute, while important for the team/organization as a whole, can't be at the forefront of every roster decision.

Hockey's a business, and their #1 objective is to make money... winning makes you a lot more money... guys with shaddy character can & do help you win.

Kristo certainly hadn't done anything so egregious as to warrant trading him simply to "get rid of a bad apple", and Thomas hasn't done anything nearly impressive enough to warrant acquiring him because of his "character".

I hope MB saw more than just that in making the deal, otherwise, with Collberg/Holland/Hudon/Bozon/Macmillan/Lehkonen/Andrighetto... we have more than enough "smallish skilled wingers" in the organization to make Thomas a redundant acquisition.

not really concerned that we moved Kristo, just seems very dubious that we moved him for a very similar asset when we have more pressing organizational needs and considering that Kristo had at least some trade value.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
HalifaxCitadels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
To be fair I'm probably only defending this move because I've always had an irrational dislike of Kristo. Christian Thomas has a better name, is the son of Steve Thomas, is Canadian, not a ginger, already a step up for all the important reasons.
upon learning kristo was a ginger, i instantly came around to liking this trade

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Mtl trade : guys I never seen play but heard his name a lot for a guy I never seen play and never heard of.

Old
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPOS123 View Post
Don't quite understand this trade. If the Habs really felt the need to rid themselves of Kristo for whatever the reason, why not include him as part of a larger deal to get a better player? I mean, would not a package of Plekanec + Kristo + second draft pick gotten us a better return than simply shipping off Kristo for an AHLer?
As if Kristo is anything better than an AHLer right now.

Old
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 50
I hope this "character" thing doesn't become an obsession. Bergevin was a character guy for 1200 games and never won jack ****.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Picaroon

Kind of wish we traded Kristo for a different kind of prospect but the more I look at this trade the more I like it. Levelling these guys up its hard to really say one is better than the other.

I know very little about either but looking at stats, age and draft rank is very promising. Thomas will be an immediate first line winger in Hamilton and that is a guarantee. Who knows what happens from there. Kristo on the other hand has yet to play pro and gets hyped way too much here. I think people forget he is already 23.

From what I gathered over the past few seasons, Kristo has never really seemed committed to the organization. Why should the organization commit to him? Instead, they went with a similar, younger project who has already played professionally.

Just because every HF proposal, with the habs acquiring a star, had kristo as a piece doesn't mean it was a viable option. With the timing of this trade and the supposed "active" trade talks by Bergevin on draft day, I'd say Bergevin has already tested the market for Kristo heavily. Clearly he isn't valued as highly as we all think.

Old
Top Corner2

I'm curious what happened with us & Kristo. Maybe he wanted a guaranteed spot. Hope this doesn't become Bergevin's "McDonough". I always liked Thomas...had a fantastic post draft year....small feisty sniper....19 goals in the AHL last year....2 years younger than Kristo....

Still I was excited about Kristo....guess we will never know why this happened?

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

So many things here....First, I have to say every player can be traded. My man, the Wolverine can be traded. Anybody can. And people in here know how much of a fan I was of Kristo. So clearly, first impression...I'm really dissapointed. And to this day and beyond believe that Kristo will be a good player in the NHL. Still has a top 6 label attached to him. Now....it also happens that while I was less vocal about it since he wasn't a Habs prospect....I LOVE Thomas. Couldn't care how big he is, this kid WILL succeed. No doubt. Would have clearly hope that Kristo wouldn't be in that trade but hey, to receive you've got to give.

But 2 things here: This thing about how Kristo was so disruptive....come on people. That was in the past. Dealt with and there were no indication that Kristo was that big murderer ready to commit his crime. If in this team we only want some milk drinkers, we will never win anything. Also, the overreaction that some complains that some fans had hating the deal may be just as worst as the overreaction of some fans that IMMEDIATELY when a deal is made, they start bashing the player that leaves. Isn't there enough proofs already that people should be careful on BOTH SIDES?

Oh and another thing....can people make the freakin difference between the size obsession and the overall team size obsession? If everybody was 6'4'' on our team, nobody would care about adding a 4'6''. And the overall team size issue is SO important that a draft that most people say to go BPA, the first 2 picks were chosen based on needs to become bigger. So stop blaming posters about the size obsession as this team ALSO seems to understand the reality of things. So I can understand people who would have loved using Kristo's value to get something along those lines, at one point if there's a change of philosophy in that team, it has to transpire in their drafts, in their trades and UFA signings.....but Thomas fits in the category of "can't miss" as far as I'm concerned and he won't let Kristo have a better career than him. At worst, Kristo does great....and so will Thomas. A win-win trade when all is said and done and that's surely coming from one of Kristo's biggest fan as you already know.

In the end, really dissapointed to not see what Kristo would be about in Montreal.....but REALLY happy to see Thomas joining the team.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Cass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Amazing trade for Habs.

Marc Bergevin is awesome and I approve this trade!

What a steal by Habs.

Christian Thomas has a potential to be a dominant sniper in the NHL.
^^^this

Old
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
HabsRealist

Like this trade. Kristo is too weak and too vertical on his skating stride, very high center of gravity. He was skating around in Hamilton last year like he had eggs in his pockets. I and Habs dont see him NHLer as he was pretty poor in Hamilton.

Thomas looks intriguing, albeit havent seen him play, but at 20 we was better than Kristo at 23.

And, he is 5.9, while Kristo played like a 5.4 player. Dont worry about the size as Kristo is as soft as a DQ cone in Riyadh.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
After seeing this trade, I hope he never makes another trade again. He just gave Kristo away for nothing.
It's posts like this that keep me coming back here. This is just pure genius.

Old
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
All those extra years in college, focusing on his studies and yet....
You expect a hockey player who doesn't know the difference between shoes & socks to know the difference between there & their? C'mon.

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Would love to know how many of the posters calling a 5-9 guy a midget...are "midgets" themselves? I'm guessing most.

Funny - I'm 5-9..and no one has ever called me small, or a midget.
Grant, I really enjoy your posts on this forum.

But seriously. Think back to the Ottawa series when the Sens pounded the **** out of our smallish forwards. Gallagher tried his hardest to not become a perimeter shooter and he paid a serious price for it and was neutralized.

And our smallish DMen could do nothing to clear the crease.

Yes, Bergevin drafted big this year...........but we are looking at a 3 year plus timeframe before any of those players get a chance to develop.

If Kristo is a bad attitude player, get rid of him. I am sure that there are a few bigger DMen in the minors with good character.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_spirit View Post
let me puke, brb.
another midget

rangers did it again

Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Bieber fever

5'9 162lbs
5'9 162lbs
5'9 162lbs
5'9 162lbs
5'9 162lbs

I hope habs give him some money to eat.still a good trade

Old
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I dont.

But why settle for an undersized (and I am not talking about height) forward when Hamilton is bursting at the seams with undersized forwards.

Get a second round pick for 2014 or 2015.
Maybe, just maybe, it's because that undersized player you're talking about is actually promising.

I'm willing to bet 99% of this board didnt even know this kid's name before the trade. After it happened, they looked at the stats sheet and made a definitive opinion.

I personally would have liked to see what Kristo could do in the AHL next year, but I doubt Thomas is just a crap player. Pretty sure people would embrace another Gallagher. So let's see how both these players turn out and then decide if it was a good move or not.

Old
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So many things here....First, I have to say every player can be traded. My man, the Wolverine can be traded. Anybody can. And people in here know how much of a fan I was of Kristo. So clearly, first impression...I'm really dissapointed. And to this day and beyond believe that Kristo will be a good player in the NHL. Still has a top 6 label attached to him. Now....it also happens that while I was less vocal about it since he wasn't a Habs prospect....I LOVE Thomas. Couldn't care how big he is, this kid WILL succeed. No doubt. Would have clearly hope that Kristo wouldn't be in that trade but hey, to receive you've got to give.

But 2 things here: This thing about how Kristo was so disruptive....come on people. That was in the past. Dealt with and there were no indication that Kristo was that big murderer ready to commit his crime. If in this team we only want some milk drinkers, we will never win anything. Also, the overreaction that some complains that some fans had hating the deal may be just as worst as the overreaction of some fans that IMMEDIATELY when a deal is made, they start bashing the player that leaves. Isn't there enough proofs already that people should be careful on BOTH SIDES?

Oh and another thing....can people make the freakin difference between the size obsession and the overall team size obsession? If everybody was 6'4'' on our team, nobody would care about adding a 4'6''. And the overall team size issue is SO important that a draft that most people say to go BPA, the first 2 picks were chosen based on needs to become bigger. So stop blaming posters about the size obsession as this team ALSO seems to understand the reality of things. So I can understand people who would have loved using Kristo's value to get something along those lines, at one point if there's a change of philosophy in that team, it has to transpire in their drafts, in their trades and UFA signings.....but Thomas fits in the category of "can't miss" as far as I'm concerned and he won't let Kristo have a better career than him. At worst, Kristo does great....and so will Thomas. A win-win trade when all is said and done and that's surely coming from one of Kristo's biggest fan as you already know.

In the end, really dissapointed to not see what Kristo would be about in Montreal.....but REALLY happy to see Thomas joining the team.
Nice post WS.

Yeah I've been a fan of Thomas for awhile also. Sheeeit if he can become a hint of what his old man was he will be fun to watch!!

Old

Kristo wasn't perfect, he had attitude problems but he was a good prospect. To throw him away just like that for nothing is stupid.

Attitude: can be fixed
Height: can't be fixed

Old
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

I think i'm gonna puke

Old
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Must've really disliked Kristo and what he brought to the table in his AHL stint.

On another note: This time last year I was incensed at Kristo and that report about his suspension (or was it arrest?) and people told me to that it's all okay, he's just a kid. Well then.
There was also a report that he almost lost a foot to frostbite.

Nothing I heard or saw from him made me like him. So I'm not going to cry all the tears of my body because we lost him.

That said, nothing matters but who turns out better.

Old
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Kristo wasn't perfect, he had attitude problems but he was a good prospect. To throw him away just like that for nothing is stupid.

Attitude: can be fixed
Height: can't be fixed

This . height might be THE most important caracteristic in hockey

Old
07-02-2013, 05:45 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post

Why give up a player that is ready to step up in the NHL for a midget?
His stint in the AHL last year certainly does NOT suggest he was ready to "step up in the NHL".

Old
07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Miller Time

the other thing that is troublesome is the roster fit this year and potentially next...

Smallish/undersized top - 9 : Desharnais, Gallagher, Gionta, Plekanec...

solid frame top- 9 :MaxPac, Eller, ~Galchenyuk

actually physical top-9: Bourque

If Thomas is good enough, skill-wise, to make our top-9 out of camp, that would give us 5 of 9 players that are undersized/smallish... with none of them being in the "elite" skill group.

That doesn't seem, after watching yet another post-season of "whistles in the pocket" officiating, as a recipe for building a contending roster, at least in the short-term.

Gionta is the only obvious guy to be moved/gone by 2014-15, but it's not like we have any physical/large-framed guys in the AHL that will be pushing to replace him.

MB better be confident Thomas will have a bigger impact this year/next, be it AHL or NHL, than Kristo will... which I suppose he must.

hope he's right.

Old
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post
...if you wanted to ship out Kristo, why wouldn't you put him in a package deal and get some actual bang for your buck. Disappointed in this trade. Not because i was really keen on Kristo, but because i feel like we could have managed that asset better.
EXACTLY , make the deal bigger , and get a better asset right now

Old
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabs66 View Post
Why so flustered by trading a guy that is two inches taller, two pounds heavier, and two years older for a player that has at least managed a full AHL season including a call up to the Rangers for a game?
Not everyone is flustered, just perplexed that this is the best they could get for Kristo. Also, the stated MO is to get both bigger, more talented and add character. Thomas scores on 2 out of the three. Kristo alone wasn't going to land us a bigger talented player, a high enough pick or a player better than Thomas -- Kristo's hyped value was too heavily tied to previous management.

Kristo must have been such a poison that they didn't want him to contaminate tomorrow's development camp contingent in Brossard.

Closed Thread