HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Picaroon

vCash: 500
eliteprospects has Thomas at 170. That's the same size as me and I am a very stocky, built guy and I never go to the gym. If this guy comes anywhere near 180 (which is extremely likely) he'll have no problems. Besides, the guy's a sniper. He doesn't need to run people over. The size obsession has made people totally illogical. Put some thought and research in to things before you react.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Wait and see, imo

Bergevin did help to build a 2 time SC winning team

He must know what he is doing

Old
07-02-2013, 05:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Maybe because MB was in "GTFO Kristo" mode and accepter whatever farm help he could get?

I don't know...

To be honest, I would have prefered a pick (or a better pick in a future draft) than Thomas. But speculating on the player he could've had is wrong.

Besides, it's not like MB could trade for Ron Jeremy...
If you are calling this a move with a "sense of urgency", then this organization has not moved any further with regard to leadership.

Think back to Gauthier and his GTFO Cammalleri trade in the middle of the game. Think of the GTFO Spacek trade that landed us our latest buyout player.

The UFA and trading season is about to be in full swing. Kristo and his "attitude" could have been used in a package trade to another team that would have resulted in addressing immediate needs of this team.

No one knew that Bergevin had Kristo in his GTFO frame of mind. He could have used the slick college kid for a benefit instead of getting an undersized forward in a lateral trade that will result in no impact for this team next season.

To hell with Kristo. This is not about Kristo. This is about a very poorly thought out trade with no benefit for the Canadiens in the immediate future.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Maybe, just maybe, it's because that undersized player you're talking about is actually promising.

I'm willing to bet 99% of this board didnt even know this kid's name before the trade. After it happened, they looked at the stats sheet and made a definitive opinion.

I personally would have liked to see what Kristo could do in the AHL next year, but I doubt Thomas is just a crap player. Pretty sure people would embrace another Gallagher. So let's see how both these players turn out and then decide if it was a good move or not.
saw a bit of Thomas this year (mostly game highlights), and have read/heard a fair amount about him from local hockey fans (i'm living in CT currently).

He's a solid asset... about as close to Kristo as you could imagine, with the benefit of being 2 years younger, having 1 full pro-season under his belt, and having the obvious NHL connection via his dad.

about as equal a trade as you could set up from many angles.

just doesn't seem to fit any near-long term organizational needs, aside from apparently the "character" upgrade.

hope thomas does well, but hard to see how/where he fits into our lineup this year or next.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

People as much as I loved him, doesn't mean everybody does. He is 23 already. While people judge him on his short stint in the AHL, it was pretty short. And during the season....people have no idea how tough it is to adjust to a totall different level DURING the season. Yet....Hudon was more impressive. Geez, Archambault who we let go was also more impressive. Still believe in the kid though. He will make you eat some crow just like McDonagh did. Thing is, we didn't get an overpaid scrap this time. We got a really good promising player. And don't take our word for it....take the word of the Rangers fanbase. Remember that when we traded McDo for Gomez, they were having so much fun...nobody cried over it while they are now doing. Yet, they don't know Kristo and will like him very much. But we will like our player.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Wait and see, imo

Bergevin did help to build a 2 time SC winning team

He must know what he is doing
We all know better

Old
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Grew up in an NHL environment, knows what it takes, has a dad who can offer all sorts of advice and support. Are you serious? There are a lot of obtuse folks on here suddenly.
Keith Gretzky and a parade of failed progenitur, say hello.

What's with the "obtuse" characterization? Where'd you get that, from a Shawshank Redemption rerun? Seriously, can you disagree without throwing insults?

What's up with Anthony Brodeur? How come he needed a circus act fake drama trade to get drafted? Tons of examples of sons of NHLers who don't make it or who don't have what it takes. If you're looking for greater predictability for offspring, then horse breeding is where it's at.

Old
Bobby G

Today sucks

Old
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
To hell with Kristo. This is not about Kristo. This is about a very poorly thought out trade with no benefit for the Canadiens in the immediate future.
Say we didn't make this trade at all. We'd still be undersized, right? If anything Thomas is tougher than Kristo.

Sure, would it have been much more beneficial in the short term if we got a big, physical player back? For sure. Does this trade do anything to hurt us? No, if anything Thomas might have more value down the line. He will be cheap for longer.

So the trade doesn't help or hurt us. We have the same amount of assets right now as we did an hour ago. How is that poorly thought out? Same cap space, same amount of contracts on the books, same amount of draft picks available if we want to make a move for a short term benefit.

Why is everyone pretending Kristo is some superstar? Because he dangled through some college kids?

Old
07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Thomas had comparable value because if he didnt, picks would have been involved. Thomas and Kristo were both sought after assets, it just so happened that the pro scouts felt that Thomas was a better organizational fit than Kristo; similarly, the Rangers felt that acquiring Kristo and giving him a shot in their top-six warranted moving a solid organizational piece in Thomas.

Don't kid yourselves, Kristo wanted to play in an American market. Most All-American kids want to play in NY and he now has that opportunity.

Thomas is two years younger which gives the Habs more organizational flexibility and it allows him to grow with our young nucleus in Hamilton. The Habs didnt feel Kristo was going to make the team.

This makes a lot of sense.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Like this trade. Kristo is too weak and too vertical on his skating stride, very high center of gravity. He was skating around in Hamilton last year like he had eggs in his pockets. I and Habs dont see him NHLer as he was pretty poor in Hamilton.

Thomas looks intriguing, albeit havent seen him play, but at 20 we was better than Kristo at 23.

And, he is 5.9, while Kristo played like a 5.4 player. Dont worry about the size as Kristo is as soft as a DQ cone in Riyadh.
Why do I get the feeling many guys who praised Kristo before are now going to find a lot of fault with him now?

Old
07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
Habiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Why do I get the feeling many guys who praised Kristo before are now going to find a lot of fault with him now?
Two reasons:

1) Because he is gone
2) If anyone who knew what they were talking about had anything bad to say they would have gotten flamed out of here, now they can speak freely.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
TennisMenace

For the record, I was hoping we had gotten bigger or tougher with this deal only because we have enough smallish players on the roster now.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Say we didn't make this trade at all. We'd still be undersized, right? If anything Thomas is tougher than Kristo.

Sure, would it have been much more beneficial in the short term if we got a big, physical player back? For sure. Does this trade do anything to hurt us? No, if anything Thomas might have more value down the line. He will be cheap for longer.

So the trade doesn't help or hurt us. We have the same amount of assets right now as we did an hour ago. How is that poorly thought out? Same cap space, same amount of contracts on the books, same amount of draft picks available if we want to make a move for the short term benefit.
I just don't get why we used an asset this way... if you're going to trade him, then address a need. Why get more of what we already have too much of?

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
What the hell, Bergevin.

I wasn't Kristo's biggest fan but he was still a pretty good prospect...I don't see any NHL future in Thomas. And of course, another 5'9" guy. I think we're going for the NHL record.

Don't like it at all.

Old
Matteus

Allow me to speculate a bit (that's what we're doing here, right?).

You have two prospects, roughly similar in terms of size and age.

One is younger, has played more pro games, has better works habits and carries himself like a pro whereas the other hasn't shown yet he can do that (that's from what I read here because I don't know the individuals).

Which one is more likely to come and help as a call-up a few months from now?

Bozon, Collberg and Lehkonen are years away, so maybe they felt Thomas was more likely to help in the short term than Kristo was.

Maybe that's all there was to this trade from MB's standpoint.

My 2-cent.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I've been a Kristo skeptic for years now, if anything I'm relieved I finally get to talk about him and not be cautious.

Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I hope MB will make a trade someday that will help out the current Habs team win.
Me too. We're treading water.

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Now....at one point, Bergevin will need to address this lineup and have a better mix. If the idea is that in the near future Thomas and Gallagher fits in a top 6 is fine with me. But DD can't be there. Gionta won't be there. Others bigger and talented guys would need to be there. We should try to get Kane. And at one point trade for Simmonds. Surround those smaller guys. Yes, we got another smallish forward, but if that smallist guy replaces a lot of the other small guys we have because he is better....that's fine in my books.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Welcome to Montreal, Christian! Glad to have you aboard!

Old
07-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Some of you are delusional and should honestly shut up, Christian Thomas is not "nothing". It's not because you don't follow other team's top prospects that you have to denigrate other player's skills and rely solely on a thing as ridiculous as size...

Old
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

April 1st is long gone.....could someone tell that to MB pls.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I just don't get why we used an asset this way... if you're going to trade him, then address a need. Why get more of what we already have too much of?
I agree with this, but it's not like Thomas can't be traded a year from now if an opportunity arises. If anything the fact that he's on the books longer helps. Which means more time to solve the dreaded "smurf problem" as Gionta and ideally Desharnais move on.

Would I have rather we traded Kristo for David Clarkson? Sure. But this is what Kristo is worth.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

So the trade doesn't help or hurt us. We have the same amount of assets right now as we did an hour ago. How is that poorly thought out? Same cap space, same amount of contracts on the books, same amount of draft picks available if we want to make a move for a short term benefit.

Why is everyone pretending Kristo is some superstar? Because he dangled through some college kids?
I could care less about Kristo. He is another redundant forward that we have (had) in Hamilton that is not an impact player.

I hope that you will agree with me that we need an upgrade with regard to our D. And I hope Bergevin realizes that we have a glaring need for a crease clearing DMan for the coming season.

Kristo should have been packaged with another player or two to get what we NEED for next season.

I agree. This trade does not hurt us. And it does not help us. We stay on the level with this trade. But remember what level is for this franchise..........an early first round exit loss in the playoffs to a less skilled but much more physical Ottawa Senators team.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

This trade doesn't deserve that amount of over-reaction

I wish I could have seen Kristo in the NHL before trading him but i'm excited about Thomas. Heard good things about him

Closed Thread