HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
I liked Kristo a lot, but he was always a high-upside, high-risk undersized offensive winger. Seems to me we traded an apple for an apple. If Kristo turns out to be dynamite and Thomas is a bust, then we're big fat losers. In the meantime it's quite likely neither is ever an impact player in the league.

All in all it's hard to get too excited about this trade, but upon reflection I'm not that upset. We'll find out how good our GM is when trades like this one accumulate. In isolation, a big, fat MEH from me.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habiton View Post
Two reasons:

1) Because he is gone
2) If anyone who knew what they were talking about had anything bad to say they would have gotten flamed out of here, now they can speak freely.
Thanks. Makes sense. Time to sit back and see who fits category two here. I know I don't. Never cared one bit about him and don't care that he is gone.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Tuggy

Is there much difference between the two players? Honest question because I have no idea.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Kristo would of been a good play in the draft. Guess they were not able to deal then so they deal now.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Grant, I really enjoy your posts on this forum.

But seriously. Think back to the Ottawa series when the Sens pounded the **** out of our smallish forwards. Gallagher tried his hardest to not become a perimeter shooter and he paid a serious price for it and was neutralized.

And our smallish DMen could do nothing to clear the crease.

Yes, Bergevin drafted big this year...........but we are looking at a 3 year plus timeframe before any of those players get a chance to develop.

If Kristo is a bad attitude player, get rid of him. I am sure that there are a few bigger DMen in the minors with good character.
Lineups change my friend.....you can't seriously expect Dd and Gionta to be here for much longer. Gallagher was an NHL rookie so you couldn't expect him to have a fantastic playoff..... that said, are you saying he wasn't effective versus Ottawa? One of our better forwards? But..he's 5-8..how can that be? Pageau played well against us and is 5-9..how can that be? A 5-9 guy won the Conn Smythe..again..how is that possible? Who were perhaps our best players in our last long playoff run? Cammy and Gionta...hmmm.

Check out Detroit's roster over the past five years for one. It may shock you how many players were under 6-0, even on their Cup winner.
Rafalski
Maltby
Draper
Helm
Lebda
Zetterberg
Datsyuk
Hudler

Eight players under 6-0. Again - how can this be????? Simple answer - because a player's height means jack squat!!!!

Old
07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

This trade is to justify why he couldnt land LeCave.so since he said he was expecting to be busy i guess that proves it.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Is there much difference between the two players? Honest question because I have no idea.
Like I said in the main board:

They are around the same skill level.

Kristo obviously didn't want to play for Montreal and probably asked for a trade. Slightly bigger than Thomas too.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Another featherweight midget... It's a pattern that's for sure.

Old
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I've been a Kristo skeptic for years now, if anything I'm relieved I finally get to talk about him and not be cautious.
I'm sorry you had to keep this inside all these years. Please feel free to let it all out now. I'm here for a brother. (Cigar in one hand, glass of wine in other)

Old
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picaroon View Post
eliteprospects has Thomas at 170. That's the same size as me and I am a very stocky, built guy and I never go to the gym. If this guy comes anywhere near 180 (which is extremely likely) he'll have no problems. Besides, the guy's a sniper. He doesn't need to run people over. The size obsession has made people totally illogical. Put some thought and research in to things before you react.
1st Round playoffs.

Montreal vs Ottawa. Done in 5.

You call it a size obsession. I call it a glaring weakness.

Ottawa sucked once they played a team that could match and neutralize its physical play.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I could care less about Kristo. He is another redundant forward that we have (had) in Hamilton that is not an impact player.

I hope that you will agree with me that we need an upgrade with regard to our D. And I hope Bergevin realizes that we have a glaring need for a crease clearing DMan for the coming season.

Kristo should have been packaged with another player or two to get what we NEED for next season.

I agree. This trade does not hurt us. And it does not help us. We stay on the level with this trade. But remember what level is for this franchise..........an early first round exit loss in the playoffs to a less skilled but much more physical Ottawa Senators team.
Well, this has no bearing on any further moves. We can still trade say, Leblanc, or Patyern, or a draft pick for a vet. If Bergevin doesn't make any moves to help the team now, that's a completely separate issue.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:07 PM
E = CH≤

Ohhhh anyone remember that rumor that his teamate congratulated him on the new start (ie implying he had been traded) ? That was a few days ago..

Old
07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Souffle
A soupÁon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the other thing that is troublesome is the roster fit this year and potentially next...

Smallish/undersized top - 9 : Desharnais, Gallagher, Gionta, Plekanec...

solid frame top- 9 :MaxPac, Eller, ~Galchenyuk

actually physical top-9: Bourque

If Thomas is good enough, skill-wise, to make our top-9 out of camp, that would give us 5 of 9 players that are undersized/smallish... with none of them being in the "elite" skill group.

That doesn't seem, after watching yet another post-season of "whistles in the pocket" officiating, as a recipe for building a contending roster, at least in the short-term.

Gionta is the only obvious guy to be moved/gone by 2014-15, but it's not like we have any physical/large-framed guys in the AHL that will be pushing to replace him.

MB better be confident Thomas will have a bigger impact this year/next, be it AHL or NHL, than Kristo will... which I suppose he must.

hope he's right.
Well, it's about the right mix of players. It's not just size. You have big guys who play small and small guys who play big. Now, I'm not saying I like the chances of winning with a bunch of angry dwarves from Middle Earth (who can play hockey, of course), but there's more to it than measurement.

I'll use Koivu as an example because I was never as big a fan as some were. But the dude was ferocious in the playoffs. You go to war with him, who cares about his height and size. We bring up the Ottawa series as proof of the Habs' softness, but the fact remains that Montreal generally outplayed Ottawa but got stung by injuries and game-changing saves and unlucky breaks. I would not retool the team based solely on the Ottawa series. Seriously, no injury to Emelin and Eller, a healthy Prust, Pacioretty and White, a one-year more mature Tinordi, and how OMG! soft are the Habs really?

My obscure point is that there's always room for talent, even soft guys (which Thomas doesn't seem to be), so long as you get the right mix. I don't think adding Thomas in place of Kristo makes a big difference to that mix. It's not like the Habs traded a Tom Wilson-prospect for Thomas. If there are serious core structural issues with the Habs' size etc, I just don't think this trade has much bearing one way or another.

/end ramble

Old
07-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Carey Chant

I would have taken a future pick instead. Horrible trade....and #D#$ giving the Rangers any more talent, they got enough with MacD.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:09 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I've been a Kristo skeptic for years now, if anything I'm relieved I finally get to talk about him and not be cautious.
Damn.

You should be more like me. I speak my opinion truthfully all the time regardless of worrying about what someone might think of that opinion.

Dont change.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
shutehinside

Stop trading prospects to the Rangers!

McDonaugh wasn't enough FFS.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:11 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
Ohhhh anyone remember that rumor that his teamate congratulated him on the new start (ie implying he had been traded) ? That was a few days ago..
There was also a rumor that he was going to play with his friend Corban Knight with the Calgary Flames. I think Bergevin might've had a potential deal with the Flames. Maybe for a late 1st?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

lol Kristo isn't close to being the prospect Mcdonagh was.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:15 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

stupid trade . would have much rather trade kristo for clutterback then on ahl player who probably wont get a chance on this team

Old
07-02-2013, 06:16 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Especially when you consider he was the fourth leading scorer on the team. He finished third in goals, too. All as a rookie.

Connecticut didn't make the playoffs either.
Well you can also say that he did 35 points with teamates who did 62, 44, 39, 35 and 35 points.
He was fourth in points with two other players.
Most probably second line in AHL.
To be honest, I have no idea about his potential and we will know a lot more next season in AHL.
One thing for sure, he is a snipper and had always more goals than assists since 2008.

I am upset because we followed Kristo from 2008.
We all saw his progression and saw him rise to the top of WCHA (with his Knight).
Finally, we were able to have an idea of his real value.
Not saying that he is a sure top-6 but hopes are certainly there.
So without any time in AHL, we trade him.
We had learned to like Kristo through all those years.
Was our last hope from the 2008 draft.

Second, we read every complains about DD and his size.
About Gionta and Bouillon...
Now we have added Thomas and Reway (1" less) in 48 hours.

Let's hope we did good: Kristo was 56th in 2008 and Thomas was 40th in 2010.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:17 PM
sampollock

bigger then 4 foot 2, a start,

sigh

Old
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
icerocket

As soon as I heard about this trade I knew hfboards would lose it hahaha

Honestly he was prospect without size. Who care?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Thomas is younger and better than Kristo is.

Thomas' problem is his size. If he can get around it, he'll easily be a better player than Kristo ever projected to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want The 25 View Post
stupid trade . would have much rather trade kristo for clutterback then on ahl player who probably wont get a chance on this team
Seriously... you think Minnesota would rather have Kristo than El Nino?!

Old
07-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Runner77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
From the same link, Pronman prefers Kristo, FWIW:

Quote:
There had been indications that Montreal wasnít really high on Kristo be it for talent or character issues. An example of the latter was when their GM Marc Bergevin questioned Kristoís off-ice decisions.

On pure talent Kristo is a better prospect than Christian Thomas. Thatís not to say Thomas is a poor prospect as he has character, offensive ability and he could be an average to above-average pro. However Kristo is arguably a top 100 drafted prospect in hockey with significant upside even if he does carry more risk than Thomas. In a one for one deal, itís hard to make a perfectly equal trade and one team usually comes out ahead. In my opinion it was the Rangers.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Amazing.

"Hmm, don't know who he is. Better google him... he's HOW SHORT!? HE WEIGHS HOW LITTLE?... off to HFBoards."

Nevermind that he's two years younger, has a better shot and more experience at the pro level, it's all about the SIIIIIIIZE!

Closed Thread