HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niinimaa predicts Habs win over Sabres

Old
10-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Hey 911, how about having the GDT topic up tonight so we can all go in there and pump each other up and such?

I am very, very pumped for this game. I have a raging clue that we could topple the mighty buffalo, and it's pointing that way.

--->

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

vCash: 500
Let the sabres be fired off, it's not like we're going to turtle. It's good to see some smack talk. It makes the games have some meaning to them. Good for the mostly non-existant rivalry between these two clubs. I mean, i'm kind of tired of the civility between us and every team not named boston and toronto

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:23 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
According to Leafs coach Paul Maurice 3 games in 4 nights is a major factor in todays NHL.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renholder View Post
Let the sabres be fired off, it's not like we're going to turtle. It's good to see some smack talk. It makes the games have some meaning to them. Good for the mostly non-existant rivalry between these two clubs. I mean, i'm kind of tired of the civility between us and every team not named boston and toronto
EXACTLY!

I was on the Buffalo board (Or was it the NHL board, don't know) and a Sabres fan actually said that if they were going to lose to anyone, they might as well lose to a "respectable" team like the Habs.

Yeah, we're respectable and all. But we're the opposition.

And the Sabres fans should hate us for stealing Begin from them.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:30 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
EXACTLY!

I was on the Buffalo board (Or was it the NHL board, don't know) and a Sabres fan actually said that if they were going to lose to anyone, they might as well lose to a "respectable" team like the Habs.

Stealing Begin was a great move. I respect and dislike you guys. I think that you are following the model the Sabres used. Great speed on forward. Goalies, BUffal is a bit ahead of you right now, but a hot goalie on any night can be the difference.

Right now BUffalo has three very balenced lines, plus a game changing, wear you down fourth line.

The biggest dfference is that Buffalo has six d-men that could probably be top four on almost any team but Anahein and Calgary. Transition is tremendous.

Good luck, no injuries, I hope you lose badly!!! You may need to score seven to win.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:41 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I think that you are following the model the Sabres used. Great speed on forward.
I don't think they're so much copying Buffalo did as much as they both have been built from the same cloth for a few years now. Buffalo and Montreal were already similar teams last year, what was missing from MTL was that never-say-die work ethic that they are displaying so far this season. They had a great, very even season series with Buffalo (Buffalo getting the edge, but many one-goal games).

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
EXACTLY!

Eh, I think the general consensus with all of the fans over here is that we love the team we have. You barely hear anyone talking about how much they miss Dumont or McKee.

It's true, we are due for a loss and we have been running around quite a bit in the past few days. Tomorrow's game is going to be close. And take the "respectable" remark as the compliment it was supposed to be. Nice to have talks with the other team that aren't always the same old Leafs / Bruins fodder.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Stupid comment by a third pairing defenseman who has been kicked out of every city he's ever played in (and Team Finland). The guy needs to grow up obviously.

Anyhow, the Sabres would have been fired up for us anyway after we showed them up a bit in their home opener (even tho we "lost").

I also don't understand the Samsonov signing. Especially when we badly need defensemen. I'm not sure I'm happy about the Johnson signing either. Both these guys are soft. We have very little grit.
What quality UFA defenseman did you have in mind, and would he have signed with the Habs, and for how much? I can't think of any, unless you mean Zdeno Chara for $37.5M over 5 years.

By the way, have you noticed that your opinion of Johnson doesn't appear to be shared by many on this forum? Of course, you're still entitled to hold it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
rulin

At first, I thought this was a really stupid thing to say, but now I realize it only makes sense: Buffalo has to lose sometime.

rulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

If Janne gets this right, he shall be known as "The Great Prophet"

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Janne

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:41 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that Janne, who will likely take a leadership role on the team pretty quickly, is just trying to get us fired up for Monday night. The crowd is going to be the deciding factor tomorrow night. When the crowd in Buffalo got into it, Buffalo started dominating. We need our crowd to do the same for us.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:43 PM
habs86

Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
do we know if the game is on TV ? and if so where (sportsnet/tsn)

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:44 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Easy, Easy, your meds in the bathroom medicine chest, top shelf, please ingest ASAP...
How old are you? Do you remember the last Stanley Cup? Goaltending and defense wins Stanley Cups. We have one, not the other. And this was the Year of the Free Agent Defenseman. I rest my case.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

actually if Niinimaa gets this right, he'll be Messier .

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:46 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
How old are you? Do you remember the last Stanley Cup? Goaltending and defense wins Stanley Cups. We have one, not the other. And this was the Year of the Free Agent Defenseman. I rest my case.
What? There was like noone available for less than $7m/season. I for one would rather have two good defensemen than one great one, and a hole in the lineup.

Old
10-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs86 View Post
do we know if the game is on TV ? and if so where (sportsnet/tsn)
i believe its just RDS

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
What? There was like noone available for less than $7m/season. I for one would rather have two good defensemen than one great one, and a hole in the lineup.
That's what I'm saying. We don't even have two good defensemen. We have a bunch of battlers who can't skate or third line midgets. I'm not going with the program on this one. This is not a championship defense and there were countless defensemen on the market. We didn't need a $7m dollar guy either.

And we all saw what Samsonov does in the playoffs, we didn't need to sign him.

I like Johnson, but I'm just saying he might not have been the best choice for a team that already has issues with grit.

Speed and skill is fun to watch, but it doesn't win championships unless there is defense and grit too.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:50 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
your way offbase about Johnson.

We have very little grit.? loook down the buffalo roster .
Yes, go look, you'll find 4 solid lines that are each capable of scoring on any given night. Not to mention our solid defensive pairings. Can't forget about Biron and Miller between the pipes. I bet you'll see Marty tommorow.

Oh, and we can take hits, and dish them out too.. just ask Umberger, or ask McGratton how his eyes' doing. The new NHL is a game of skill, no longer a game of goons. The skilled survive.

Good luck monday.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 09:56 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. We don't even have two good defensemen. We have a bunch of battlers who can't skate or third line midgets. I'm not going with the program on this one. This is not a championship defense and there were countless defensemen on the market. We didn't need a $7m dollar guy either.

And we all saw what Samsonov does in the playoffs, we didn't need to sign him.

I like Johnson, but I'm just saying he might not have been the best choice for a team that already has issues with grit.

Speed and skill is fun to watch, but it doesn't win championships unless there is defense and grit too.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
I agree with you about Samsonov, that the money could be put to better use, but I completely disagree that there were lots and lots of defensemen available this past offseason. There were very few defensemen that were worth their weight in gold, which showed by how much they ended up costing. Our defense, while lacking star power, is very effective. Dandenault coming back will bolster it even further.

Old
10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
snowrunner*

i have to agree with rake the leaves...he makes some good points about grit.....we have none..check out this story about grit in the new

nhl...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...azeneuve/10/20
/news.notes/index.html

he was right about the hit in the calgary game for sure, no one on our team even trying to send a message to the Flames, kinda embarassing for us Habs fans actually I think

.....but it was great to see Staios jump right in last night to protect Ethan Morieu for the Oilers, we need more of that with us.....more guys like Smitty and less guys like Kovelev I guess is what I am saying,,

but I do think we will win tomorrow

snowrunner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
ya that loss against the sabres really hurt in my opinion.....really in the two big games of the years agains the sabres and the sens...we are 0-2
We got 1 point in each of those games, not bad...

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD SabreFan View Post
Yes, go look, you'll find 4 solid lines that are each capable of scoring on any given night. Not to mention our solid defensive pairings. Can't forget about Biron and Miller between the pipes. I bet you'll see Marty tommorow.

Oh, and we can take hits, and dish them out too.. just ask Umberger, or ask McGratton how his eyes' doing. The new NHL is a game of skill, no longer a game of goons. The skilled survive.

Good luck monday.
Isn't it ironic that a very physical team won the Stanley Cup last season? Speed and skill are very important aspects to have, but come playoff time the physical aspect of equally-matched teams is going to decide the game. I think, after last season, you'd have to agree.

Old
snowrunner*

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...tes/index.html

that is the link to the story about the way our habs responded to the Downey hit...

sorry guys....

snowrunner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:04 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrunner View Post
i have to agree with rake the leaves...he makes some good points about grit.....we have none..check out this story about grit in the new

nhl...http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...azeneuve/10/20
/news.notes/index.html

he was right about the hit in the calgary game for sure, no one on our team even trying to send a message to the Flames, kinda embarassing for us Habs fans actually I think

.....but it was great to see Staios jump right in last night to protect Ethan Morieu for the Oilers, we need more of that with us.....more guys like Smitty and less guys like Kovelev I guess is what I am saying,,

but I do think we will win tomorrow
PLUUUUEAZE.....

How the hell do we have no grit? We might have one of the toughest D in the league with Souray, Komisarek and Rivet (+ Bouillon), we have Bégin, Murray, Downey and Latendresse up front too...

About the Downey hit, we retaliated. Komisarek was going after Iginla and Tanguay all night, Souray and Rivet went after Phaneuf but Phaneuf backed down. I believe our team's grit is very underrated, we no longer have a guy like Brisebois who just stand there when Zednik gets murdered by McLaren. If this happened and Komisarek, Souray or Rivet is on the ice, McLaren gets a beating.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote