HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Does anyone really have a sentimental attachment to Kristo? He's not Saku Koivu and is he really a sure NHL second liner? Let the Rangers pay him for the privilege of finding out. I assume Bergevin knows something about Christian Thomas. Lets see how he plays in the bleu blanc rouge. He could be a real find, If he doesn't become a regular, big deal. The Habs already have a lot of marginal players in the organization, so what's one more? At least Thomas has never been in trouble for purse snatching, assault, or fraternizing with gangsters.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxN View Post
LOL at the angry fans who saw Kristo practice once.
I watched Kristo in the USHL, almost every game he played in the NCAA, WJC's, AHL and WC's. Just because some speak out against the trade, doesn't mean they haven't watched him play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
I just don't know why people are so upset. Kristo was pretty bad in his short AHL stint (as mentioned before, he was outplayed by Hudon and Vail), while Thomas as a rookie had a .05 ppg and 19 goals in 73 games.
Kristo dominated the NCAA, while that doesn't mean much in terms of the NHL, it's a very risky move to trade him now imo. What he did or didn't do in the AHL in 9 games doesn't mean much.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
For sure, and I know you and montreal (and others I'm sure) have followed him way more closely than I have...it's frustrating, no other word for it. All you can do is hope it works out.
Thing is, Bergevin keeps talking more and more about character. Did address our size at the last draft....but character will always comes first. Which I don't disagree.....but natural talent is also key here.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
pezcore

Well since my last name is Thomas, the Habs jersey my folks got me with my name on it when I was 12 finally makes sense.....if he gets 24 the prophecy is complete.

Everyone just chill, I see a Thomas who's progression is faster than Kristo. I understand the frustration of waiting 5 years to see him play but deep down I was never sold on him and this trade doesnt suprise me at all.

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree with this, but it's not like Thomas can't be traded a year from now if an opportunity arises. If anything the fact that he's on the books longer helps. Which means more time to solve the dreaded "smurf problem" as Gionta and ideally Desharnais move on.

Would I have rather we traded Kristo for David Clarkson? Sure. But this is what Kristo is worth.
That's fine... so package him with something else and address a need.

I really see this as a senseless move. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right now at all.

Old
hogtownhabsfan*

Think there must be character concerns, otherwise, why?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thing is, Bergevin keeps talking more and more about character. Did address our size at the last draft....but character will always comes first. Which I don't disagree.....but natural talent is also key here.
At least, the very LEAST, it's undebatable that Thomas can score. Now, will he do it consistently in the NHL is the question.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Chiyo
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I watched Kristo in the USHL, almost every game he played in the NCAA, WJC's, AHL and WC's. Just because some speak out against the trade, doesn't mean they haven't watched him play.

Kristo dominated the NCAA, while that doesn't mean much in terms of the NHL, it's a very risky move to trade him now imo. What he did or didn't do in the AHL in 9 games doesn't mean much.
Obviously, my message wasn't about you. The ones who complain about the trade and base their judgment on nothing because they saw him practice once or never saw him at all, they know who they are.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

I really see this as a senseless move. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me right now at all.
I agree. Add Kristo to Diaz and a future 2nd round pick and we could have possibly found someone willing to part with a stay at home DMan playing in the NHL right now.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I agree. Habs never do this so WHY? we are NOT privy to insider information on Kristo. One day we will find out more but MB found something he did NOT LIKE in Kristo. Trades for the same size player so that was not the issue. I suspect like you do it's about the character of Kristo.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I agree. Add Kristo to Diaz and a future 2nd round pick and we could have possibly found someone willing to part with a stay at home DMan playing in the NHL right now.
Replace Kristo with Leblanc or Bozon and you can still make that trade.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Never gonna grow up
Never gonna put you down.
Never gonna chase you around and
Hurt you.

Midgets 4 lyfe.

I wish you could rep people on this board because this is one of my favorite posts ever.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
jayze25*

2 choices,

Second year syndrome affects GMs too

OR

Kristo lost respect for off ice problems (ribeiro anyone?)

terrible trade,

+ Lecavalier to flyers = really bad habs fan day.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
From the draft day whining to this trade, people feel the need to express themselves after giving a whole 8 seconds of thought to a situation.

There were yellow flags all over Kristo. They traded him for an offensive player who grew up under Steve Thomas' rules. Let's see it play out.
not the point

we traded away an offensive kid with great wheels that we took 5 yeasr to develop
he had a realistic shot at Ryder`s spot

Thomas has no shot at Ryder`s spot

Gallagher is the only small guy you can afford on the top 6 , the only hope for CT is the top 6 as an offsenisve player , what the f r his chances ?

Christ our 4th line stinks , we couldnt get Mashinter with size ?

what about a second like we did with other deals ?

flags absolutely , add something else and get a body who might fill a void , we have Hudon , Collberg , this finish dude we just drafted , what the hell did we get a Thomas for ?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:48 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
there have been off-ice concerns/problems. I have had some pretty good contacts at North Dakota but I leave the off-ice stuff out of my posts. I can certainly understand why they had concerns about him though.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Not a fan. At best Thomas brings a redundant element to the organization and adds nothing new. I would be happier had they traded him for Galiardi.

This seems to be another 'character' type move...starting to get old. It's like we scout character now.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:50 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

and its very doable cause all teams want one thing in this cap era

cheap servicable bodies who can play
BS DEAL

Old
07-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

As others have pointed out, Thomas is younger and has a scoring touch. Besides, saying Kristo could be an ingredient in a package deal isn't a compelling argument. How do you know Thomas couldn't fill a similar role?

Old
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Thomas was drafted 40th, Kristo 56th, how bad can this deal be ? I know Thomas only scored 35 points in 72 games in the AHL this year... but there was the lockout, and it was his first pro year.

Old
PricePkPatch*

I need to archive this thread and check it again in 5 years

Old
Adam91

Kristo having the IQ of a peanut would probably be a good place to start in terms of reasoning for the trade..

Old
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yeah, at least when we lose there will be good character in the room. That makes everyone feel better.

"Well, we didn't score any goals again this game but we lost with character!"

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

I still trust Bergevin and co. more than you guys

Old
onemorecup*

Quote:
If you are calling this a move with a "sense of urgency", then this organization has not moved any further with regard to leadership.

Think back to Gauthier and his GTFO Cammalleri trade in the middle of the game. Think of the GTFO Spacek trade that landed us our latest buyout player.

The UFA and trading season is about to be in full swing. Kristo and his "attitude" could have been used in a package trade to another team that would have resulted in addressing immediate needs of this team.

No one knew that Bergevin had Kristo in his GTFO frame of mind. He could have used the slick college kid for a benefit instead of getting an undersized forward in a lateral trade that will result in no impact for this team next season.

To hell with Kristo. This is not about Kristo. This is about a very poorly thought out trade with no benefit for the Canadiens in the immediate future.
OR NEVER

unlike the Cammy and Kosty deals , those seconds might pan out one day

Old
07-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Guaranteed if Thomas was our prospect and the trade was in reverse many of the same people would be freaking out about how Bergevin traded a blue chip 20 year old who can score for an old 23 year old who hasn't shown anything in the pros and has attitude problems.

It's all about fan familiarity with the player, I leave the evaluation to the pros. Until of course they prove they don't know any more than I do (Gainey/Gauthier) .

Closed Thread