HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

Old
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

vCash: 500
What's his nickname? I vote for either Count or Monty (as in, The Count of Monte Cristo)

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
I wonder if Vaignault has anything to do with all these moves?

At the draft we actually went for some really offensive players with some real skill. Now we add Kristo. These are not typical Rangers moves to be honest...like all of you I was expecting Sather to sign another pylon like Parros which he loves to do.

I hope this trend continues...we need scoring.
i think were gonna try to win games with goals rather than blocked shots, im cool with it

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

Quote:

At the draft we actually went for some really offensive players with some real skill. Now we add Kristo. These are not typical Rangers moves to be honest...like all of you I was expecting Sather to sign another pylon like Parros which he loves to do.

I'm sure he has a lot to do with it. These are moves to accomodate the coach.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
initial reaction was
but i can see why Sather made this trade. Thomas has a A+ one timer but it wasn't likely he'd get to use it effectively on the bottom 2 lines where he'd have to play and work his way into the lineup. Thomas has higher upside but sounds like Kristo is more complete and a better fit for our bottom 2 lines where we can see his strengths play out more. More likely to make the team at this point. meh. Good to know the Habs fans are upset but they should know they got themselves a prospect with a very high upside.
I don't see this. Kristo is a dangerous offensive player. I think the only reason the Habs made this deal is that Kristo wanted out. I cannot from a value perspective see the Canadiens perspective on this one. Kristo is the better player with the better upside.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Trade MDZ for Carlson!

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
I don't see this. Kristo is a dangerous offensive player. I think the only reason the Habs made this deal is that Kristo wanted out. I cannot from a value perspective see the Canadiens perspective on this one. Kristo is the better player with the better upside.
Guys on the Habs boards are convinced (have convinced themselves?) that there were character issues involved.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:

These are very minors moves. And how would AV be involved? He's an NHL coach, seriously doubt he spent much time scouting prospects in college or in the AHL. Of the three maybe he's seen Falk play a couple of times.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:05 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
What's his nickname? I vote for either Count or Monty (as in, The Count of Monte Cristo)
I vote for Crisco. Cuz he's smooth like oil lol.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:06 PM
CM PUNK

i don't think thomas was ever gonna get a real shot with the rangers (fair or not)...given a chance he'll probably produce on the pp and people will ***** but he was pretty much stuck in limbo, not good enough for the top 6 but doesn't fit on the bottom 6...

so even if kristo doesn't work out its basically a wash since thomas wasn't gonna play in ny anyway...the fact that he is better defensively and sounds like he could fill a bottom 6 spot probably makes him a better fit for us

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
They love their speed. I like the trade though.
With Hagelin and Callahan out the first couple of weeks, Kristo is a player that will get a good chance to show what he got.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:08 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
These are very minors moves. And how would AV be involved? He's an NHL coach, seriously doubt he spent much time scouting prospects in college or in the AHL. Of the three maybe he's seen Falk play a couple of times.
He may not have input on these players directly, but Sather might be targeting these players as players who fit the system that AV wants to play.

Though honestly, I don't think that's the case with any of these trades. I can't see Falk fitting any particular system better than another. And I think the Kristo trade was more about montreal getting what they could for a player that either they had soured on, or had soured on them. Similar to when we traded Kundratek.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Colby
HFB Partner

Quote:
New York Rangers received Danny Kristo, Right Wing:

Kristo was a First-Team All American in the NCAA West and a finalist for the Hobey Baker for top college player in the country. He also appeared for the USA at the World Championships. He’s a very skilled offensive forward who can show good to great skating ability and offensive skill. His playmaking looked better this season and he works hard at both ends. He’s a smaller winger who hasn’t been able to build up strength well.

Kristo, who just turned 23, is arguably NHL ready or somewhat close to making the jump. He becomes one of the Rangers top prospects and could be a decent addition soon for a power play that hasn’t been the best.

On pure talent Kristo is a better prospect than Christian Thomas. That’s not to say Thomas is a poor prospect as he has character, offensive ability and he could be an average to above-average pro. However Kristo is arguably a top 100 drafted prospect in hockey with significant upside even if he does carry more risk than Thomas. In a one for one deal, it’s hard to make a perfectly equal trade and one team usually comes out ahead. In my opinion it was the Rangers.
http://www.puckprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=357

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-02-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Don't quote the entire article, please.
Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

EVERYTHING IN THE LAST 30 DAYS HAS BEEN ABOUT OFFENSE OFFENSE OFFENSE. Coaches, players, picks, prospects, philosophy! We have that good of a defense eh?

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Kristo would fit on our "energy" line like a glove. Good trade, although it sucks to lose our only pure sniper in the system

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Blueshirt13

like this trade just from the perspective of it made me dig up this clip again....

Hopefully his voice doesn't crack any more

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Amazing trade for Habs.

Marc Bergevin is awesome and I approve this trade!

What a steal by Habs.

Christian Thomas has a potential to be a dominant sniper in the NHL.
I am happy for your enthusiasm

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

This is a really nice prospect that we got. Kid's a few years older. I like Knight and Grimaldi better, but Kristo did more of the steady, less flashy things that you want from a 2nd/3rd line winger.

Now, I was hoping that Thomas was poised to break out this season. But I think Kristo has a better chance of reaching his ceiling as a 2nd line player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:26 PM
UAGoalieGuy

26 goals and 52pts last year in the NCAA? Sounds good to me. I think he fits what AV envisions his 3rd or 4th line to be and he may get his shot with Cally and Hagelin both possibly starting the season on the IR. Don't like the reported work ethic issues though.

I wish Thomas the best but I never saw him as a player that could stick in the top six at the NHL level. And its either that or bust for him because he can't play in the bottom six.

I like this trade.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:28 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Love this trade. Really think Kristo has a bright future ahead, and questioned whether Thomas would ever make the transition because of his size.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Pizza

Well I think there were just too many smaller players in the system and depth chart and somebody had to go at some point. That said, this stings a bit. Thomas is a really good kid. He's got a hell of a shot that is equaled by his character. I think he makes the NHL someday.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

solid move.

thomas was a smurf. great shot and pure sniper but his size was a problem. never felt he was built for the punishment he would receive.

loved kristo in his draft year. major player on that usa team. great wheels and very dangerous player. hes got some flair and hotdog in him and has had a label as a rebel cocky kid. even so, hes very responsible 2 way player. on the ice, hes a legit nhl talent. he needs to mature.

on pure hockey talent alone, hes the far better prospect. this is a solid move to add a player who has nhl skills.

we got the better player.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Well I think there were just too many smaller players in the system and depth chart and somebody had to go at some point
Thats the way I see it.

07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
BigMick99

Scouting report for both players

Here's a quick break down of both players involved in that trade

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/07/...istian-thomas/

BigMick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:40 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

we need some dirty 3rd line swag anyway.

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I wouldn't be surprised if he worked himself a cup of coffee in the early-goings with Callahan and Hagelin out.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote