HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas

Old
07-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Welp, looks like it might be a squeeze to offer TT $4 M a year now...
You read too much HFboards if you think it will even be a little bit of a squeeze to sign both Thomas and Gagne. Not even a little.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
You read too much HFboards if you think it will even be a little bit of a squeeze to sign both Thomas and Gagne. Not even a little.
I'm not even 100% sure Thomas will be looking for the big bucks. I mean he forfeited about $5M last year just to sit out.

I don't expect him to sign for league minimum but I don't think it's crazy to think he'll sign for $1-2M.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
deftones1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not even 100% sure Thomas will be looking for the big bucks. I mean he forfeited about $5M last year just to sit out.

I don't expect him to sign for league minimum but I don't think it's impossible to think he'll sign for $1-2M.
Exactly.

I heard he really wants to make the Olympic team so he's going to put his heart and soul into playing, therfore:

If he wants to try and win with the Flyers because he thinks they have a good chance, then I assume he will take less money than a team who bids higher.

If he wants to try and win with any team that will pay him big bucks then so be it, most likely it's not the Flyers.

Either way, if it's true about him being amped up for an Olympic spot, than my point is we should be seeing Tim Thomas play to the best of his ability next year, big pay check or not.

deftones1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:43 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Eh? It's just simple arithmetic. If my understanding of the sequencing of Pronger's LTIR is correct, further acquisitions are going to be a tight until the season starts.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Eh? It's just simple arithmetic. If my understanding of the sequencing of Pronger's LTIR is correct, further acquisitions are going to be a tight until the season starts.
There is essentially 0 chance that Mezsaros is still here AND cap geek doesn't factor the cap cushion associated with the rookie contracts of Schenn, Couturier and Laughton (if he makes it). I believe that alone is 2.8M (more than Gagne is likely to make itself)

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
phlocky

Quote:
We can sign TT for 4 mil and Gags for 2.5 mil if we just move Meszaros. With Pronger on LTIR we can have a full 22-man roster and about 3.5 mil in cap space too. I just posted a cap geek roster with this exact scenario in the Vinny signing thread.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Insulin

Quote:
There is essentially 0 chance that Mezsaros is still here AND cap geek doesn't factor the cap cushion associated with the rookie contracts of Schenn, Couturier and Laughton (if he makes it). I believe that alone is 2.8M (more than Gagne is likely to make itself)
Could you or anybody really, explain how the cap cushion works with those guys?

Insulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Was already assuming Meszaros will be dumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulin View Post
Could you or anybody really, explain how the cap cushion works with those guys?
Second. I assumed it was gone with the new CBA since it disappeared from CG.

I also know the league is charging a small amount against this year's cap because of last year's bonuses.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
MacFlyer

Timing of Thomas' announcement of interest in coming back suggests he wants to come here (After schneider, bernier, backstorm, smith all resolved).

Where else? Edmonton? Calgary? Florida? Why any of those? ( plus can't see him going to Canada given his politics)

Given they already have his rights, can't think it's to play for the islanders. He'd just call them and talk about fulfilling his current contract.

Seriously, put yourself in his shoes. What are the other good options for him? Am I overlooking one?

I think his announcement was aimed right at homer.

Signing of Lecavalier makes me think here is even more likely/appealing

MacFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:48 PM
kicksave27

Snider and he share the same politics. Of all the teams in need of a goalie, the flyers are going to be the better option. Not to mention, the flyers always treat their players well, everything is first class. While other teams fans seem to think the flyers are not a prime FA place because of the webber offer or something silly like that, players who want to play for an owner who cares, who doesn't skimp off the ice, and a rabid fan base, it's a great choice.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
He was doing this:

How come none of those players scored on their breakaways? Breakaways are automatic goals are they not?

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
martz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
How come none of those players scored on their breakaways? Breakaways are automatic goals are they not?
I had come to think that after watching Bryz.

martz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/David_Strehle/st...48898951192578

Quote:
Contacted Tim Thomas' agent to see if he felt Flyers would have any interest in his client.
https://twitter.com/David_Strehle/st...49287947730945

Quote:
Zito said he couldn't talk to any teams yet but "When 'shopping period' begins July 3, we'll find out if there is even any interest at all."
https://twitter.com/David_Strehle/st...49633759703040

Quote:
"Right now (making it public that Thomas wants to return) is just 1st step insofar as he asked me to kick tires & see if he has any options"

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:33 PM
n62

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Snider and he share the same politics.
Sounds crazy but this may be the main reason he ends up here. Like it or not.

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:01 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFlyer View Post
Timing of Thomas' announcement of interest in coming back suggests he wants to come here (After schneider, bernier, backstorm, smith all resolved).

Where else? Edmonton? Calgary? Florida? Why any of those? ( plus can't see him going to Canada given his politics)

Given they already have his rights, can't think it's to play for the islanders. He'd just call them and talk about fulfilling his current contract.

Seriously, put yourself in his shoes. What are the other good options for him? Am I overlooking one?

I think his announcement was aimed right at homer.

Signing of Lecavalier makes me think here is even more likely/appealing
I think Lecavalier signed here believing Thomas has a chance of coming here......it seems plausible.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Lecavalier is used to playing in front of crap goaltending.

07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Lecavalier is used to playing in front of crap goaltending.
who do you want to get? in goal i mean. I'm not being condescending either. i just think our options blow.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I think Lecavalier signed here believing Thomas has a chance of coming here......it seems plausible.
This is what I gathered from different reporters on why Vinny picked us. Apparently he didn't want the pressure of playing up in Toronto & Montreal. He also wanted to go to a team with a bonafide #1 center to take the pressure off him that was from Dreger.

Panotch (I know lol) said Vinny likes the young core of our team & sees some resemblence of this team to those good Tampa teams back in Vinny's hay day.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:23 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
who do you want to get? in goal i mean. I'm not being condescending either. i just think our options blow.
Well there aren't really any long term solutions out there. Anton Khudobin from Boston would probably be the only younger guy who we could target. But then you're going into the season with a goalie has been a huge disappointment after an outstanding rookie year and a goalie who hasn't proved much in the NHL. Kind of risky if that's the route the Flyers want to take.

I think Thomas, Nabokov, or Emery would be our best options. Just depends on the price. And those are just as risky.

And there's always the trade route. Miller and Halak are apparently on the block.

And let's not forget, Leighton and Boucher are still out there

So yes, our options blow.

Last edited by The Couturier Effect: 07-02-2013 at 10:29 PM.
The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Our options do blow. There is no sure thing. I'm increasingly leaning towards Thomas because I think that will generate the most outrage in other fanbases.

Is that a good reason? Hell no, it's a complete garbage reason. But at this point, whatever. I'm completely spent on the goaltending issue after the Bryzaster, I'm not gonna worry about it until the season starts and there's something worth worrying over.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Flyerfan4life

lets just sign Thomas and be done with it.

im feeling it with Thomas/Mason as our combo.

make it happen Homer..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:53 PM
MacFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Our options do blow. There is no sure thing. I'm increasingly leaning towards Thomas because I think that will generate the most outrage in other fanbases.

Is that a good reason? Hell no, it's a complete garbage reason. But at this point, whatever. I'm completely spent on the goaltending issue after the Bryzaster, I'm not gonna worry about it until the season starts and there's something worth worrying over.
Agreed. Strong goaltending is just not our style. We tried to lock it down and it didn't work... Even when i thought that was going to work, it just didn't feel like us.

Now we're back doing our thing. we hog the off season spotlight. We ignore cap limitations and prudent financial management. We load up the offence and stuff three balanced forward lines down your throat (plus one annoyingly gritty one) and take our chances with the rest.

The playoffs are more exciting when you cringe and can barely stand to look whenever the puck's in our zone. It may not have got us a cup yet, but it's so much fun to be us!!!

MacFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:56 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Regardless of my personal feelings for Tim Thomas, if he can help this team win games, I'm all for it. I just hope this doesn't prove to be another distraction. If his primary concern is the team and stopping pucks and winning games, there shouldn't be any issues (other than his age I suppose).

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:05 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
But in offseason we can go over the cap by 10%. As I understand it we're pretty much at cap now (carrying all the extra players who wont be here at the start of the season (i.e. in the AHL presumably)), so we can still spend about another $6m before worrying, And then once we demote players who wont be on the roster and put Pronger on LTIR we're back under cap. I guess it might get tricky til then but there's no actual need to trade Mesz... Still if we can get a decent guy on UFA (Blum sounds like it might be worth a shot) then probably worth dumping him anyway.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:09 AM
djw99

Quote:

I like the idea of dumping mezsaros, but I think that is going to be easier said than done. He's got a big cap hit and more $'s owed to him this year. If homer can pull it off great, but I suspect mezsaros starts the season with the flyers. With that in mind i think it will be tough to sign both thomas and gagne. Unless homer does something stupid and trades coburn.

djw99 is offline   Reply With Quote