HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguy266 View Post
Grant McCagg= https://twitter.com/grantmccagg

Quite a informative poster IMO.
He deserves another follower.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I love this pick for you guys. I'm a big fan of his. He's never going to score a lot and never will be a first liner. Probably not even a second liner.

But he'll be a bad mother****er on the 3rd line. Hell of a pick.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:46 PM
HabsRealist

This kid is this big and actually still has to fill out. Wow. Widest kid I think I have ever seen drafted.

But I am always skeptical of US Nat'l development.

He no doubt is slow and needs to upgrade skills, lets hope he does.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
This kid is this big and actually still has to fill out. Wow. Widest kid I think I have ever seen drafted.

But I am always skeptical of US Nat'l development.

He no doubt is slow and needs to upgrade skills, lets hope he does.
He's actually pretty mobile, especially in straight line speed. He just needs to work on balance and agility skating wise

Old
07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
HabsRealist

Good to hear he is mobile. I really am just assuming. He is huge, so if he could skate very well, would have been top 10 and noone had him near there.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:59 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
Good to hear he is mobile. I really am just assuming. He is huge, so if he could skate very well, would have been top 10 and noone had him near there.
There is full u18 USA games on YouTube see for yourself his skating isn't really a weakness interms of speed more agility

Old
07-02-2013, 07:14 PM
StellerEller
Playoffs!

vCash: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
There is full u18 USA games on YouTube see for yourself his skating isn't really a weakness interms of speed more agility
I like his hockey sense to. He seems to understand what his role will be in the Ozone. But more than that, he looks like he knows how to play without the puck. That bodes well for us since if he gets to play with our top players, he seems like he'll be able to keep up with them instincts/system/chemistry wise. Great players make others better. And while someone like Galchenyuk does it through playmaking, McCarron can do it through space and intangibles.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...042/story.html

Some more details from his former HC.

Quote:
Granato described McCarron as a skilled player with soft hands. He’s a coachable player and sociable kid popular with his teammates.

“His skating has improved and he’s a good skater. He’s a really good skater based on his size. He’s got a good stride,” Granato said.

McCarron told reporters after he was drafted 25th overall by the Canadiens on Sunday in New Jersey that going into the past season he knew his skating had to get better. “I worked on that every day off the ice, like the ladders and the explosion workouts,” he said.

“It came a long way. If you saw me at the beginning of the year to now it’s like night and day.”

McCarron’s skill level in practice is “really off the charts for a big, big, big man,” Granato said.

“Where I think you get so excited is ... it was almost like my goodness if and when you can play with this type of confidence in a game you’re going to be dominant.”

“And that’s kind of been from where he’s progressed and where he needs to still progress. He has ability that he’s not fully aware of how to take advantage of it,” Granato said.

It’s a matter of working on consistency and applying what he does in practice more consistently in games.

“And I think in fairness to him, that’s the process for lots and lots of young players,” Granato said.

To this point his intensity and focus elevate in spurts, his former coach said. “He’s improved immensely in both those areas and he’s going to keep improving.”

McCarron was a physical force in the Division 1 games the U.S. National Under-18 Team played, Granato said.

“I believe in our 21 NCAA games he was tossed out of four of them. And in my opinion, it was he was just too strong for the opponent he hit,” Granato said, adding referees are cautious at the NCAA level, especially in exhibition games. (He believes they would have been legal checks in the NHL.)

McCarron is more than willing to use his body, Granato said. “He’s working on using that more and more as an advantage. He’s learning that there might be some things he can do better and more effectively with his size. But as far as hitting you’re going to have to dial him back. You won’t have to prod him. He wants to hit. He wants to be physically engaged.”

Old
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...042/story.html

Some more details from his former HC.
Thank you!

Old
07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Maelpj*

I've only saw Mccarron play 2 game, read some report and I' m no professional scout but I don't feel this guy adress a need like you guys are saying. Yes, in our farm club, we have a lot of skilled, potential top 6 foward put they are all pretty much undersized. I tought what we need was a big , skilled foward with some high offensive upsidel. Is McCarron REALLY that guy? A lot around here seems to think if he turn into a Bickell type of guy, it would be good things.. The things is , Bickell, aside from 2013 playoff, have always been a 30 points player.. Is that what would you call a Top 6 foward?

Couldn't we have picked kids with Bickell-like upside with our later pick and use one of our earlier pick on a more dinamic, big foward like Bailey, Dickinson, Nastasyuk, Carrier or Zykov ( or Rychel if we had moved up) ? Does Mccarron really have the offensive upside that those prospect have?

'Cause if he turn into a solid 3rd liner, which a lot of you guys seems to say, I don't see how it adress a "need". Big grinders are a lot easier to find on the UFA market, or the trade market than big and skilled 25-30 goals 60-70 points foward.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Toastman

I'm really not liking this pick. McCaron is a weak skater.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
I've only saw Mccarron play 2 game, read some report and I' m no professional scout but I don't feel this guy adress a need like you guys are saying. Yes, in our farm club, we have a lot of skilled, potential top 6 foward put they are all pretty much undersized. I tought what we need was a big , skilled foward with some high offensive upsidel. Is McCarron REALLY that guy? A lot around here seems to think if he turn into a Bickell type of guy, it would be good things.. The things is , Bickell, aside from 2013 playoff, have always been a 30 points player.. Is that what would you call a Top 6 foward?

Couldn't we have picked kids with Bickell-like upside with our later pick and use one of our earlier pick on a more dinamic, big foward like Bailey, Dickinson, Nastasyuk, Carrier or Zykov ( or Rychel if we had moved up) ? Does Mccarron really have the offensive upside that those prospect have?

'Cause if he turn into a solid 3rd liner, which a lot of you guys seems to say, I don't see how it adress a "need". Big grinders are a lot easier to find on the UFA market, or the trade market than big and skilled 25-30 goals 60-70 points foward.

Points taken, but if his offensive skills are just decent, with his size and apparent willingness to play physically and therefore go to the tough areas, hes top 6 and will score 20-25 goals, in addition to pounding the opposition through the boards.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:47 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
Please tell me more about your highly educated view of him discovered by your multiple viewings... Just because he is big and production isn't great YET does not make him a weak skater infact the handful of times I have seen him skating is more of a strength than a weakness. His only weakness really is consistency and maybe his release. The times I've seen him play he gets around the ice very well and has a decent hockey IQ please don't make assumptions.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
I've only seen highlights but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Old
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I've only seen highlights but that doesn't seem to be the case?
Well he's right. I mean... what do pro scouts, head coaches and general managers of his know anyway?

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Who are you watching, cuz McCarron is a very good skater for a player his size...

Old
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Please tell me more about your highly educated view of him discovered by your multiple viewings... Just because he is big and production isn't great YET does not make him a weak skater infact the handful of times I have seen him skating is more of a strength than a weakness. His only weakness really is consistency and maybe his release. The times I've seen him play he gets around the ice very well and has a decent hockey IQ please don't make assumptions.
Compared to his teammates and opponents, his skating inferior. I understand that he's big.

I didn't say anything about hid production, I just see his skating as weak for his age.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Who are you watching, cuz McCarron is a very good skater for a player his size...
For a player of his size, he might be a good skater but compared to top other foward with top 6 upside drafted sunday, how would you rank him ? To me , he looked really average, bordeline below average. I fully agree that he seemed smart, knew where to go, screaming the goalie and worked hard along the board, was good at covering the puck, etc. But his shot seemed average too, and his playmaking abilities weren't screaming "top 6" upside. More Prust-like.

Timmins surely knows a lot more than me about this and must have seen something a didn't in the kid, but I just wasn't as impressed by his tools than I was with Bailey, Carrier, Rychel or Dickinson.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Toastman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
No, he's really not. I understand that because of his size his skating might be flawed, but as I mentioned before, I find that his skating is inferior to his teammates and opponents

Old
07-02-2013, 09:05 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
For a player of his size, he might be a good skater but compared to top other foward with top 6 upside drafted sunday, how would you rank him ? To me , he looked really average, bordeline below average. I fully agree that he seemed smart, knew where to go, screaming the goalie and worked hard along the board, was good at covering the puck, etc. But his shot seemed average too, and his playmaking abilities weren't screaming "top 6" upside. More Prust-like.

Timmins surely knows a lot more than me about this and must have seen something a didn't in the kid, but I just wasn't as impressed by his tools than I was with Bailey, Carrier, Rychel or Dickinson.
Quote:
No, he's really not. I understand that because of his size his skating might be flawed, but as I mentioned before, I find that his skating is inferior to his teammates and opponents
Every scout and every article on this kid lists his skating as one of his assets...wow, you two should be scouts, get all of these other no-nothings fired...

Old
07-02-2013, 09:07 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Interms of going in a straight line his speed is very good, but his agility may not be great yet but playing for London or for college should work on that amongst other things and his skating will be fine (even though I think it is already good) people don't draft for what the player is now but what the will or could become

Old
07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Maelpj*

But at the same time, I realise that it might not matter that much that Mccarron isn't a rocket on ice. Lucic isn't too. If he can develop a solid , hard shot ( And I don't see why i couldn't with the size of his), he could definitively fit into a second line. Could create space, keep puck possession, screen the goalie and become a dangerous, tough to move garbage goals scorer. Yeah , I definitively see it. Parked in front of the net, screanning the goalie, pushing on the ground d-man from left and right trying to move him and shooting puck rebound behind the goal line. A 25-30 goals scorer who his going the wear down his opponent..

You know what, I might be too hard on the guy. He could turn into something special after all.. Seems to have a good attitude and and good work ethic too..

Old
07-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
The only thing I want to see a McCarron vs Lucic comparison is that if Lucic was able to improve his skating the way he did....let's hope McCarron is also able to do it. And by the way, he already did as everybody saw an improvement. But clearly will need to still improve it, first steps on top of everything else and balance as well.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Erik Estrada

I like the part when his coach Granato says he was ejected from 4 out of 21 NCAA games because his clean Bodychecks were too damaging. Lol

Old
07-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The only thing I want to see a McCarron vs Lucic comparison is that if Lucic was able to improve his skating the way he did....let's hope McCarron is also able to do it. And by the way, he already did as everybody saw an improvement. But clearly will need to still improve it, first steps on top of everything else and balance as well.
That's why I don't think he needs to get THAT bigger. He already is. He could focus on strenght training to get, you guess it, stronger and more explosive, but as far as gaining MASS, I think he is already big enough. After all , report and Timmins says he has a strong hockey sense, and like I said in my other post, He might not need a tons of speed to excell around the crease and in the coners where his home should be. I mean, just try to move a guy that big in front of the net.

Closed Thread