HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[PHI] Flyers sign Vincent Lecavalier (5 years, $4.5M, full NMC)

Old
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
[PHI] Flyers sign Vincent Lecavalier (5 years, $4.5M, full NMC)

continue on here.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I like it.

07-02-2013, 10:48 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I like it.
Same. It's obvious to most Flyers fans that Lecav will help greatly in the role of 2C, since he can win draws and help bridge the gap for Schenn and Couts.

SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
goguls

vCash: 500
Pardon my ignorance, but why is this bad for the flyers?

They just added a huge asset to a reasonable contract and it cost them nothing (other than $$ and cap space).

1) What is stopping them from flipping one of their forwards with maybe a draft pick or two to address goaltending/D?

2) Since the cap is expected to go up, why does it matter if they only get 3-4 good years of vinny like everyone is saying they'll get.

2a) If they do only manage to get 3-4 good years out of him and he sucks in his 4th year, why can't the flyers use a regular buy out on him?
Wouldn't the caphit only be 1 or 2 mil for a couple of more years? Isn't risking 1 or 2 mil in capspace in ~4years when the cap is expected to go up anyways worth the risk for having vinny on your team now?

If your argument is that you'll only get 1 year out of Vinny max, then I understand your point...disagree, but understand.

But the consensus around here seems like he's good for at least 3 more.

What am I missing?? Seriously I have to be missing something. Someone fill me in please.

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
The Red Line

Its not that I think he'll be bad in Philly, it is just strange that Philly uses their money for the one position they don't need help in, and still have major holes to fill.

I can't say I think the strategy will work long term, but what do I know?

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Cootsfanclub

Flyers fans seem to like it while everyone else thinks it was bad signing. I like it, should help on ES and bring some consistency to the power play. You also can't have too much leadership.

Cootsfanclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Love it. We have a great offense, an average d, and questionable goaltending. Back to being a regular Flyers fan!

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
It's not a bad signing. 5 years is a bit long but he should be useful as a 2C for at least half of that.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Set View Post
Flyers fans: at Fleury, yet most are completely fine with Steve Mason in net. Hilarious.
That's not what they said... What they said was that Mason showed some promise, and that the Flyers have plenty of time to fix the goalie situation this offseason.

Got it?

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
All of those forwards play two way hockey...
Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell? Sure, they are pretty good defensively.

Schenn? Simmonds? Lecavalier? Play good two-way hockey? Uhh, sure. Have you watched Vinny the last couple seasons?

Philly last year was a train wreck 5 on 5. They were terrible in their defensive zone, and I don't see how they fixed that for 2013-2014...

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:56 PM
goguls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootsfanclub View Post
Flyers fans seem to like it while everyone else thinks it was bad signing. I like it, should help on ES and bring some consistency to the power play. You also can't have too much leadership.
Which is why there were reportedly 15 teams after him.
Seems like everyone else is just upset he didn't come to their team. Which I understand.

They probably needed a center like him more than Philly did.

goguls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Pohlow

Philly fans: "Holmgren, we have a below average D and have absolutely no goaltending whatsoever, what do you plan on doing about it?"

Holmgren: "How about using the buy out money to sign another bought out FORWARD to get us over the cap and add already solid forward group. Oh, and the centers we plan on moving up to fill the 2C role, Couts and Schenn? Well they will have to wait 5 YEARS"

Philly fans: "ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT"

Good price, terrible length, and terrible position that was filled with the money.

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:58 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

great move, homer will obviously be doing a lot dealing and I won't be surprised if we end up with a #1 D and decent goalie within a few weeks (probably at a high cost)

obviously this doesnt fulfill our strongest needs but the season doesn't start tomorrow, homer doesn't have to go in order in relation to our needs. vinny was gonna make a decision soon so this had to happen.

he's a crazy gm, but i love him

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
thebigbea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
Philly fans: "Holmgren, we have a below average D and have absolutely no goaltending whatsoever, what do you plan on doing about it?"
this team just never learn... goalie and dmen win games and the cup... offense will dry up in the playoff...

thebigbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post
this team just never learn... goalie and dmen win games and the cup... offense will dry up in the playoff...
That must be why NSH wins the Cup every year.

StevensCakeBakerBacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Huffer

Nice looking forward lineup.

If holmgren can make the moves to manage the cap and maybe add a D and a G, the Flyers will be a dangerous team next year IMO.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:05 PM
MSSLYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguls View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but why is this bad for the flyers?

They just added a huge asset to a reasonable contract and it cost them nothing (other than $$ and cap space).

1) What is stopping them from flipping one of their forwards with maybe a draft pick or two to address goaltending/D?

2) Since the cap is expected to go up, why does it matter if they only get 3-4 good years of vinny like everyone is saying they'll get.

2a) If they do only manage to get 3-4 good years out of him and he sucks in his 4th year, why can't the flyers use a regular buy out on him?
Wouldn't the caphit only be 1 or 2 mil for a couple of more years? Isn't risking 1 or 2 mil in capspace in ~4years when the cap is expected to go up anyways worth the risk for having vinny on your team now?

If your argument is that you'll only get 1 year out of Vinny max, then I understand your point...disagree, but understand.

But the consensus around here seems like he's good for at least 3 more.

What am I missing?? Seriously I have to be missing something. Someone fill me in please.
See the next 10 posts under yours? They manged to discuss Fleury, the cup, no goaltending whatsoever, make up dialogues, etc.

I agree with your posts. So many things will be different in 3yrs. Great 2C without any asset in return at a great cap this year.

Montreal fans are treated to Lecavalier and Samuel Morin as 1-2 punch on RDS web site. Morin has a man crush on Pronger. Title of the piece is Morin and Philly "A perfect match".

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:06 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

I can't even see what's wrong with this deal, considering Philly is getting another good faceoff guy and a relatively good offensive player. Also helps that he's a leader.

The people saying that you need defense/goaltending to win are grossly overestimating that. You need a balance of both defense and goaltending AND offense. You don't win games by only stopping a puck, you need to score too.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM
JR#9*

How can people not like it...they got a really solid player with size and great experience for nothing and his will allow some other forwards to be moved to fill other holes on D and in net.

Solid move for the Flyers and that is coming from a Ranger fan.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Vikingstad
**** the King

Im assuming Philly is looking to move some forwards for D/G help then?

Giroux/Lecavalier/Schen/Couturier/Laughton/Talbot all down the middle

Hartnell/Voracek/Read/Simmonds/Gagne/Fedetenko/Rinaldo on the wings

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:15 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigbea View Post

This... Says it all.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:16 PM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Love it. We have a great offense, an average d, and questionable goaltending. Back to being a regular Flyers fan!
Flyers wish they had an average D

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:16 PM
MSSLYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell? Sure, they are pretty good defensively.

Schenn? Simmonds? Lecavalier? Play good two-way hockey? Uhh, sure. Have you watched Vinny the last couple seasons?

Philly last year was a train wreck 5 on 5. They were terrible in their defensive zone, and I don't see how they fixed that for 2013-2014...
True. You dont see it.

5 on 5 goals for has been a force for Philly. Last 3 years including this one btw: 19, 2 and 6. Thats top tier my friend.

5 on 5 goals against: 13, 12 and 23: 2nd tier. Could be better but "train wreck" looks fishy.

Got to try again but a little harder.

MSSLYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Understatement of the century.

Biron is better than Bryzgalov.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:17 PM
FadeToBlack

Throw in TT and I think this team has a real shot at the cup provided he can play at anywhere near his old form. His puck handling abilities on the back end will help the D out tremendously and would be an absolute boon to the Flyers system. Plus he will probably tell Jeff Reese to shut the **** up.

FadeToBlack is offline   Reply With Quote