HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 05:24 PM
predfan24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Agree 100%. We have plenty to sell and Poile needs to pull the "you could be our guy" card because frankly whoever it is would be along with Weber, Rinne, etc. I wish FA's would realize that we have everything to win except the huge offense. They just need to actually join the team and help the rest of the players work towards it instead of hopping on some other team's train that is already full of people who can/will win a cup.
That's tough to sell especially after the year the Preds had last year. An even tougher sell trying to sell our forward corps which has some young talent but is unproven.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Drake744
#HeyHeyPekkaRinne

vCash: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Poile said he'd like to talk to Briere

I'd offer him a 1 yr deal, nothing more
I'd offer him a 2 year deal. We have the potential to be very solid in 14-15. Would like a Briere type to be around for that. Plus he would probably be really good for the young guys to be around.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:43 PM
RCola88

Alright everyone don't kill me or anything but I had a revelation about SK.

Now I understand the hate from everyone on SK, and I have hated on him myself. That being said, I think we should keep him. I know we've heard rumors of him going to the KHL, and he takes up 3 mil in cap space. I get that, so don't hound me about that please. If we can sign a decent top 6 forward in FA or trade for one, we can bump down SK's minutes, so he isn't or go to guy to score. We all know he was one of those guys.

If we can add a coulple guys like Fillpulla and MacArthur, I think we can be in the top 15 in scoring which is all we need with or defense and Peks. Adding more guys can take away the attention from other defenses on SK, and he can get back to a couple years ago. I think that's why he didn't score, because he was always top priority. He didn't play like garbage besides that one play in EDM. He is good on defense and PK. I think he is worth saving if, like I said, we add a couple guys up front. Getting rid of Gill also gives us me room for free agent signings, which we can focus up front or another D-man to fill in the left side. SK can put us over the top, with depth skill and scoring.

Huss and fuss or call me crazy all you want if you disagree, but I think we could really use him if the roster is right.

Last thing, we think he is unhappy. I saw a video of Shea scoring a goal off a rebound from Wilson's shot, who received a pass from SK. When they we're celebrating, SK looked like a little kid scoring his first goal, with a huge smile on his face (this is when my revelation hit me). Its hockey, when he plays he is happy, just like I am when I play. I think he was unhappy because we weren't good last year, which nobody would be happy for. Now I could be wrong, and he may hate the management and everyone on the team but I think we should give him one more year.

Last edited by RCola88: 07-02-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Meant to touch on his "unhappiness"
Old
07-02-2013, 07:59 PM
MrJoshua

When it comes to SK, I think he was mainly unhappy because he thought the whole year was going to be locked out so he had already settled in to play a full season overseas. Then he got yanked back over to the US for no training camp and a thrown-together season. I think he never recovered from that mentally, and I hope he sticks around because he has the skills to be a big part of the team's offense if he gets his head back in the game.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
When it comes to SK, I think he was mainly unhappy because he thought the whole year was going to be locked out so he had already settled in to play a full season overseas. Then he got yanked back over to the US for no training camp and a thrown-together season. I think he never recovered from that mentally, and I hope he sticks around because he has the skills to be a big part of the team's offense if he gets his head back in the game.
That's a great point, never thought of that. I jsut hope we don't let him go. It kinda hit me that we do actually need him.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Even though I've never been a fan of him, I'd be willing to give SK another shot. Mainly because our offense is so weak already. We need all the help we can get.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:06 PM
braindead

Add me to the re-hire SK bandwagon. I think you nailed it Mr. J. Lots of guys in the league had a weird experience last year because of the lockout. This year is back to the routine. It should help.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
Flgatorguy87

There is a lot of Belarussian love in here.

I think the guy is much better than he showed last year, he is still young, hasn't peaked offensively, and until we have something better I'm ok with him.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:47 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

That's a valid point, and he has a right to be upset, but that doesn't justify his atrocious general work ethic last season. That simply cannot be allowed to stand.

Meanwhile, the Freep reports that Damien Brunner is looking for $2.5M. I think Poile will be all over that if he goes to market.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That's a valid point, and he has a right to be upset, but that doesn't justify his atrocious general work ethic last season. That simply cannot be allowed to stand.

Meanwhile, the Freep reports that Damien Brunner is looking for $2.5M. I think Poile will be all over that if he goes to market.
Do this all day every day.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Iron Duke

$2.5M per for a guy that is less proven than Craig Smith and 4 years older? Wha?

Old
07-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Mercalius

He looked very solid last season and played very well in the playoffs. 2.5 million isn't a bad price. He's a tad smaller than ideal, but it's a fair price for his potential.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
He looked very solid last season and played very well in the playoffs. 2.5 million isn't a bad price. He's a tad smaller than ideal, but it's a fair price for his potential.
He's 27, I'm not sure how much more room for growth there is with him. Maybe a flier at $2M per for 2 years, but any bigger commitment is a pretty big gamble with only a half season to go by.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:22 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
He's 27, I'm not sure how much more room for growth there is with him. Maybe a flier at $2M per for 2 years, but any bigger commitment is a pretty big gamble with only a half season to go by.
The difference in 2 and 2.5 is negligible from a team standpoint that needs offensive production. If a home-run signing is available, go for it - overpay if we have to, but odds are we miss out on those signings and will have to take some fliers on these limited body of work guys. I was impressed by Brunner several times last year, especially once the playoffs started.

It's a small sample size, yes, but he put up more points than any Predator during the 2012 season not named Weber and had 9 points in 14 games in the playoffs. He also managed these stats with about 3 minutes less ATOI than most of our top scorers. I think there's some potential with him. I know the idea is to "get better" than Leggy and Fisher, but realistically - that won't happen easily. I think he'd be a solid pickup.

Last edited by Mercalius: 07-02-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old
07-02-2013, 11:49 PM
Mercalius

To add to the Brunner discussion, the Red Wings board are valuing him around ~3 mil a year on a 3-4 year deal as they see him as a likely 30 goal a year guy. There are a few who don't want to invest that much, but several are willing to go even higher than 3 million a year. The consensus is that they definitely don't want to lose him, and anything between the 2-3 mil/year range is more than fair, especially factoring in that would be with the home-team discount.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:04 AM
NoNecksCurse

id give brunner a 4-5 year deal worth 12-15 million. we're desperate and the skill is there.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:19 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Add me to the re-hire SK bandwagon. I think you nailed it Mr. J. Lots of guys in the league had a weird experience last year because of the lockout. This year is back to the routine. It should help.
Listening to Poile's pressed today, he said he was waiting to hear something from his agent. Reading between the lines it seemed as if Poile expects SK to sign with a KHL team. He didn't say "he won't be back this year"' but the response to the query was pretty strong. I also heard another Poile presser where he said their end of season exit conversation did not go well. I think the bridges have been burned here. If SK isn't able to ink a deal in Russia, his place on the team will be tenuous at best.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:21 AM
Mercalius

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
id give brunner a 4-5 year deal worth 12-15 million. we're desperate and the skill is there.
Agreed, I'd probably rather it be a 3-4 year deal, just because of the previously mentioned limited sample size, but I wouldn't be upset. I think he'd be a great fit here, especially with a larger role. Some comparisons.

He averaged right at 15 1/2 minutes on ice last season with 12 goals/14 assists for 26 points.

Here are some comparable Predators (Not truly fair, given some injuries, but just a comparison):

Colin Wilson - ATOI = 16.34, 7g/12a = 19 points
Gabriel Bourque - ATOI = 15.50 11g/5a = 16 points
Sergei Kostitsyn - ATOI = 16.43 3g/12a = 15 points
Patric Hornqvist - ATOI = 16.14 4g/10a = 14 points
Nick Spaling - ATOI = 15.52 9g/4a = 13 points

Here were the stats on the forwards that logged comparable numbers despite significantly more ice time:

David Legwand - ATOI = 18.26 12g/13a = 25 points
Martin Erat* - ATOI = 18.55 4g/17a = 21 points (prior to trade)
Mike Fisher - ATOI = 19.28 10g/11a = 21 points

I know this last season was short so it's speculative on whether he could maintain or improve upon that type of production, and we were plagued with injuries so not all comparisons are fair, but I don't see how we wouldn't be excited about landing Brunner

Old
07-03-2013, 04:23 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
If we're talking about Peter Mueller from Florida then yes please. Add him filpulla and Dupuis and a goalie and call it a day
Just re-signed in Pittsburgh. 4 yrs/ 3.75 per.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 07-03-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

LeBrun confirms the Preds interest in Briere :

Quote:
The focus now shifts to fellow buyout unrestricted free agent Danny Briere before the rest of the UFA market opens Friday. The Canadiens, having lost out on Lecavalier, made contact with Briere's camp Tuesday night, a source confirmed to ESPN.com. Sources also indicated that the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and Nashville Predators are among the teams to show solid interest in Briere and have already spoken to the Briere camp, which is led by agent Pat Brisson. Other teams were expected to contact Briere's camp Tuesday night and Wednesday.

Last edited by AtlantaWhaler: 07-03-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:45 AM
PFL615

Briere doesn't fit the get bigger MO but could be a good vet to have and playoff monster.
I really like the Greening trade rumors for Blum..Wish that would get done

Old
07-03-2013, 07:26 AM
Persona5

Briere will end up in Buffalo and isn't what we nned anyways. SK isn't all that good of a player even when he is playing well. I'm thinking if anything gets done it will be through a trade and not UFA...

The good news is that maybe Philly will be looking to trade a center now that they sign VL. Lets just hope we add somebody that can replace Erat's numbers or we will be hurting for scoreing more than ever next season...

Old
07-03-2013, 07:46 AM
ilikeblocks

I want Brunner, especially at this price.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:52 AM
ilikeblocks

The Oilers didn't qualify Colten Teubert - might be a bad sign and we need another right handed d-man like we need cancer, but the former first rounder might be worth a flier.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
The Oilers didn't qualify Colten Teubert - might be a bad sign and we need another right handed d-man like we need cancer, but the former first rounder might be worth a flier.
All your RHD belong to us ? ... good lord ... our D is set ... let Mattias Ekholm get a chance, before we bring in someone else ... he might be what we need a LHD to play Top 4 in the next couple of years if he progresses the way Housley & Trotz think he can (Klein trade bait)

Closed Thread