HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Phoenix GM Mike Barnett is itching to make a deal

Old
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
HAHAHAHA that's like the most lopsided deal ever (in favour of Montreal), and completely wrecks Montreal's team at the same time.
Gotta love the irony; best deal we can get and still it would destroy our club, this only means that our club is great but still very fragile. Well, if this is no good, I guess we could try to ship them Rivet.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:00 PM
jo_ab

I'll like to see comrie as our second line center...

jo_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:02 PM
vcx*

man jovo have been useless in phoenix.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:04 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Gotta love the irony; best deal we can get and still it would destroy our club, this only means that our club is great but still very fragile. Well, if this is no good, I guess we could try to ship them Rivet.
I'm just pointing out that:
a) There's no way that deal is at all acceptable to Phoenix
b) The last thing Montreal needs is a draft pick in exchange for ruining our goaltending, and centre situation.

Aebischer isn't going to carry this team alone, and our team's depth is fragile up the middle. Adding Nagy is going make the team's depth even more lopsided toward the wings.

Our depth is on the wings and second pairing defensemen, and that's where our returning players would have to come from.. not from our already weak centre, and slightly-above-average goaltending.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:05 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_ab View Post
I'd also like to see Enver Lisin come our way, i like his explosive style.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:21 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that:
a) There's no way that deal is at all acceptable to Phoenix
b) The last thing Montreal needs is a draft pick in exchange for ruining our goaltending, and centre situation.

Aebischer isn't going to carry this team alone, and our team's depth is fragile up the middle. Adding Nagy is going make the team's depth even more lopsided toward the wings.

Our depth is on the wings and second pairing defensemen, and that's where our returning players would have to come from.. not from our already weak centre, and slightly-above-average goaltending.
Aebischer is a good number-1 goalie and Danis proved that he can be a second goalie immediately. We don't need 3 playmakers on the same line, Plekanec has no place on our roster since we have enough 2-way forwards. Nagy is a UFA next year and that doesn't help his value too much.

Old
10-22-2006, 10:22 PM
fredez

Quote:
If you thought Ribeiro was a primadonna, Comrie is even worse...a coach's nightmare

I would hate to have Comrie on our team

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Nyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Forget Laraque, NTC.

I'd wait, like, if one of our D's gets injured, and if Cube is out for while as we expects, and if Streit continue playing badly...

Wait.

Streit plays well.
You almost had me going there buddy!

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:41 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

However the deal still doesn't help our problems up the middle. Kovalev is good at carrying the puck, which he wouldn't be able to do up the middle of the ice, and I don't think would be a very effective centre. Nagy is a Ryder-type player, perhaps less physical,and would complement Kovalev perfectly. Unfortunately we have Samsonov on the other side, and thus really no room for Nagy.

I'm not that interested in going out in the second round of the playoffs, I'm more interested in winning two years from now, which is what Plekanec will help us do once Bonk leaves, and then he can centre the third line. That's how I see it, anyway.

Old
10-22-2006, 10:42 PM
phil666

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Aebischer + Souray for Jovanovski.
No way

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:44 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
However the deal still doesn't help our problems up the middle. Kovalev is good at carrying the puck, which he wouldn't be able to do up the middle of the ice, and I don't think would be a very effective centre. Nagy is a Ryder-type player, perhaps less physical,and would complement Kovalev perfectly. Unfortunately we have Samsonov on the other side, and thus really no room for Nagy.

I'm not that interested in going out in the second round of the playoffs, I'm more interested in winning two years from now, which is what Plekanec will help us do once Bonk leaves, and then he can centre the third line. That's how I see it, anyway.
That's why I suggested Nagy - Kovalev - Perezhogin and Samsonov - Bonk - Johnson. Don't get me wrong; Bonk and Johnson have tremendous defensive skills but they had some great offensive season and a playmaker like Samsonov might be the touch they need to be a good offensive line as well.

Old
10-22-2006, 10:46 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
That's why I suggested Nagy - Kovalev - Perezhogin and Samsonov - Bonk - Johnson. Don't get me wrong; Bonk and Johnson have tremendous defensive skills but they had some great offensive season and a playmaker like Samsonov might be the touch they need to be a good offensive line as well.
I guess we just see Kovalev's skillset differently. I'd love to try him out at centre, I just don't think it would be a successful venture.

Nagy's a star, though. We'd be lucky to have him, and I'd love to see him in a Habs uni if Ryder got away from us.

Old
10-22-2006, 10:49 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I guess we just see Kovalev's skillset differently. I'd love to try him out at centre, I just don't think it would be a successful venture.

Nagy's a star, though. We'd be lucky to have him, and I'd love to see him in a Habs uni if Ryder got away from us.
Kovalev's way too lazy and irresponsible to play center imo.

I'd like to have Boynton though. Rivet for Boynton anyone?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2006, 10:55 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
Kovalev's way too lazy and irresponsible to play center imo.

I'd like to have Boynton though. Rivet for Boynton anyone?
That deal is something I'd try to go for. Rivet+pick or prospect for Boynton. I wouldn't be terribly upset if we packaged Sergei Kostitsyn with Rivet for Boynton. It all depends on whether Phoenix wants to blow it all up, or not.

Old
10-22-2006, 11:35 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocho39 View Post
Jovanovski has no value, I would not give a late pick for him and I wouldn't take him via the waivers too.
Well lets thank our lucky stars, your input on the Montreal Canadiens is limited to EA NHL 2007. Perhaps you are related to Rejean Houle?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 02:12 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Well lets thank our lucky stars, your input on the Montreal Canadiens is limited to EA NHL 2007. Perhaps you are related to Rejean Houle?
Seriously man???!!!??

Are you looking for another whipping boy for the habs??

i dont think Jovo would be an improvement over any of our Ds...
He's not that great in his own end and souray and markov are better offensivelly...plus i've heard from many fans that he's not entirely a great locker room guy

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 05:45 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
reminds me of breire's injury history . doesnt scare buffalo much

there are a few dmen on that list there i wouldnt mind tho
maybe that's because the Sabres only gave up Chris Gratton for Briere... Nagy would cost a lot more than that.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 08:37 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Cmon guys, we already robbed them blind in the Johnson deal...let's just leave them alone
wash, rince and repeat

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 08:52 AM
Squeaky

Guys, this is a Bruce Garrioch rumor.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Column...2/2095467.html

Don't let me stop the speculating or anything, but don't go getting your hopes up something might actually happen. Garioch is just about as bad as sources come.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:02 AM
CHareth

Quote:
We could have just kept Ribeiro then, who's a lot cheaper.

And how is Mike Barnett still employed as a GM?!? Amazing!

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:05 AM
Pat

Quote:
you'd be disapointed in Comrie's play...not what the Habs need. pass

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, I don't think it makes much sense to talk about Yandle or Lisin or any of the attractive Phoenix youth, no matter what off-handed "every player is available" quotes you read from over-eager NHL columnists.

That said, it probably *does* make sense to consider the over-aged, the over-priced, or the impending-UFA types amongst the more established Phoenix players. You have to think that at some point they are going to want a goalie. A good one. Preferably a youngish franchise cornerstone type. That seems to be what they lack most, and LeNeveau has stopped short of giving them reason to believe that he'll be the one. So presumbaly the best thing you can offer them to get one of the key players from them is a goalie. That's where your teams with Toskalas and Bryzgalovs and Birons probably have a big edge on us. Failing that, I suppose they could perhaps suck it up on their stopgap goaltending options if they could get a Carey Price-like prospect. But I don't really see that basic framework being a very good fit for us... we want some expensive impending-UFA types for our crucial insurance-policy goalie and/or our future #1 hope? Just creating more holes.

Obviously whenever prominent players come onto the market, it will create a stir. But it's pretty hard to identify a truly glaring need on the Habs right now. Particularly when we're a team that has already basically spent right to the salary cap max. There are some "nice-to-have" options there on the Phoenix list, but you know, when it comes to getting those players, I doubt we're going to be the best fit to Phoenix's needs, and I doubt our "nice-to-have" offer (that would have to involve some sort of salary cap juggling components as well) could possibly match up against the offers that teams with better fits or a greater sense of desperation might make.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
lilooet*

Doan would obviously be a nice treat no matter where we put him, but I just don't it happening, or him addressing our current needs. That said, I'd be tickled to have him.

Also, I know he's involved with Denis Coderre, but how does Nagy fit in to that equation, as another poster mentioned above?

As for their roster, I seriously like Yandle and Ballard (injured at the moment). I've seen Ballard a few times and he impressed each game, all game. Don't see either of them going anywhere though; especially Ballard.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:45 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
Seriously man???!!!??

Are you looking for another whipping boy for the habs??

i dont think Jovo would be an improvement over any of our Ds...
He's not that great in his own end and souray and markov are better offensivelly...plus i've heard from many fans that he's not entirely a great locker room guy
Just so I get this right.. you believe Boullion, Dandenault, Rivet, Souray, Komisarek and Streit are all better than Jovo? How is Souray better offensively? Statistically, this just isn't anywhere near the truth.

Markov and Jovo's stats may be similar the last ccouple of seasons, but not in other aspects of the game.

If you don't like a player, fine. But to suggest our entire defence is better than him, is just silly.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:22 AM
big_habs_fan

Barnett may not be too interested in dealing with us after getting (IMO) fleeced in the Johnson for a 4th deal. How bad does that look in Phoenix right now?

Right now though, I don't see a #1a/b center or a #1/2 D on their roster that upgrades our current lineup. Those are the two aquisitions I feel we need to make for a deep playoff run.

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote