HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven View Post
That's why I don't think he needs to get THAT bigger. He already is. He could focus on strenght training to get, you guess it, stronger and more explosive, but as far as gaining MASS, I think he is already big enough. After all , report and Timmins says he has a strong hockey sense, and like I said in my other post, He might not need a tons of speed to excell around the crease and in the coners where his home should be. He mean, just try to move a guy that big in front of the net.
Yes. Still the man that was the heaviest of all the prospects didn't succeed that much in the combine. You'd think he's be more present in the top 10. So something tells me there is something to gain as far as strength is concerned.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I like the part when his coach Granato says he was ejected from 4 out of 21 NCAA games because his clean Bodychecks were too damaging. Lol
He should be a Mac instead of a Mc...then we could call him MAC Truck...

Old
07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes. Still the man that was the heaviest of all the prospects didn't succeed that much in the combine. You'd think he's be more present in the top 10. So something tells me there is something to gain as far as strength is concerned.
Do you know where to get a full list of the combine result for all 2013 draft eligible player? curious to know how much those guy could bench, squat, deadlift, etc. ( if those were tested)

Old
07-02-2013, 09:29 PM
le_sean

The most encouraging thing about McCarron is his progression this year alone. The difference between his first and second halves is very impressive. This includes the U-18. This is good for him mentally. To understand that he worked hard to improve his skating and acceleration, and the results were immediate on the stat sheet, must be extremely reassuring as he goes forward. Now he knows that hard work definitely pays off.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
The most encouraging thing about McCarron is his progression this year alone. The difference between his first and second halves is very impressive. This includes the U-18. This is good for him mentally. To understand that he worked hard to improve his skating and acceleration, and the results were immediate on the stat sheet, must be extremely reassuring as he goes forward. Now he knows that hard work definitely pays off.
Lucic worked extremely hard to bring his skating and offensive game up to par when he was in Juniors. His coach in Vancouver kept raving about all the efforts he did to improve his game. Lucic modeled his game on Iginla not a goon...McCarron will need to do the same thing.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:48 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
I like the part when his coach Granato says he was ejected from 4 out of 21 NCAA games because his clean Bodychecks were too damaging. Lol
That, the fact that he's very easy to coach, and that the mentioning of his soft hands and skill make me think he simply needs time to become the player we know he can be. It all comes down to getting him consistent with confidence and furthering the refinement of his skating and physical tools. Love this pick!

Old
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Lucic worked extremely hard to bring his skating and offensive game up to par when he was in Juniors. His coach in Vancouver kept raving about all the efforts he did to improve his game. Lucic modeled his game on Iginla not a goon...McCarron will need to do the same thing.
What's good is we have a fast, strong skating team and I'm sure part of that is because we have coaches and trainers who know how to bring players' skating up to NHL level. You're right about how he should model his game. Iginla (younger version), Neely, Lindros (minus keeping his head down), etc should be the model for him. Nasty, Physical, but not losing track of how to score and what the priorities are on the ice.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...042/story.html

Some more details from his former HC.
Wow this interview makes you pumped to see how he develops.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:42 PM
TroyM

Really great article full of choice quotes. It's funny, the vibe I get from this guy is almost like a traditional "old school" player. I mean that even in the way that he seems... a bit dense? Haha, not dumb but just like one of those guys who are like puppies enjoying their jobs and I'm sure that's why hes so coachable and loved by Granato. A real coaches player I guess I mean, willing to do whatever is needed and loving being able to do it with his imposing frame.

He just seems like an "aw, shucks" type kid or something, I find it refreshing in this generation of really smart and calculated kids like Fucale or Gallagher, even though I love that trend too and their interviews are always great. Just some random musings, maybe had a few too many hah.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:01 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Really great article full of choice quotes. It's funny, the vibe I get from this guy is almost like a traditional "old school" player. I mean that even in the way that he seems... a bit dense? Haha, not dumb but just like one of those guys who are like puppies enjoying their jobs and I'm sure that's why hes so coachable and loved by Granato. A real coaches player I guess I mean, willing to do whatever is needed and loving being able to do it with his imposing frame.

He just seems like an "aw, shucks" type kid or something, I find it refreshing in this generation of really smart and calculated kids like Fucale or Gallagher, even though I love that trend too and their interviews are always great. Just some random musings, maybe had a few too many hah.
I agree. It seems he has a good perspective on things. He's shown commitment to improvement, he obviously wants to make the NHL, and he seems to have a true love for the game. That being said, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, he does seem old-school. Keeps it simple and knows what a great stroke of luck he has had to be blessed with a body like his. It seems he simply knows he needs to be mean, nasty, etc and that makes it easy for him to know what to do. Definitely a hockey guy.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Not sure if this was brought up, but damn am I eager to see a fight between McCarron and Frédérik Gauthier in the future. Some Leafs are already saying that FG is the next Lucic and has better numbers as a rookie in the juniors than Lucic. Cool story.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:55 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Not sure if this was brought up, but damn am I eager to see a fight between McCarron and Frédérik Gauthier in the future. Some Leafs are already saying that FG is the next Lucic and has better numbers as a rookie in the juniors than Lucic. Cool story.
Yep, Desharnais is the next Tie Domi, he had better numbers than him in junior.

Last edited by ChoseLa: 07-03-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Gauthier is about as tough as Desharnais. They're going to be really let down if they think Gauthier is a tough guy.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Galchenyuk4habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Gauthier is about as tough as Desharnais. They're going to be really let down if they think Gauthier is a tough guy.
Mccaron doesn't have a mean-streak either, he's lost a few fights already and he's not mean. I really like the guy, but if we wants to drop 'em with Lucic and not be the next Komisarek he's gonna have to go to London...

Old
07-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Even so McCarron had near 200 PIM while Gauthier had 20 in the softest league on the planet.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:39 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Mccaron doesn't have a mean-streak either, he's lost a few fights already and he's not mean. I really like the guy, but if we wants to drop 'em with Lucic and not be the next Komisarek he's gonna have to go to London...
McCarron has a mean streak it's not because you loose fight that you don't have it.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:50 AM
DAChampion

Is Gauthier the next Colborne?

Old
07-03-2013, 01:57 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Is Gauthier the next Colborne?
Higher hockey IQ and elite defensive game.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:18 AM
hockeyman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk4habs View Post
Might wanna do your homework.

"McCarron was a physical force in the Division 1 games the U.S. National Under-18 Team played, Granato said.

“I believe in our 21 NCAA games he was tossed out of four of them. And in my opinion, it was he was just too strong for the opponent he hit,” Granato said, adding referees are cautious at the NCAA level, especially in exhibition games. (He believes they would have been legal checks in the NHL.)

McCarron is more than willing to use his body, Granato said. “He’s working on using that more and more as an advantage. He’s learning that there might be some things he can do better and more effectively with his size. But as far as hitting you’re going to have to dial him back. You won’t have to prod him. He wants to hit. He wants to be physically engaged.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz2Xxs3Z2l0

Old
07-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Center Ice Scrum

Some Habs fans seems awfully interested in what we Leaf fans have to say about Mr. Gauthier.

I know people like to mis-quote things on HF all the time but there is not a single poster on the Leafs board who is insinuating that Freddy G is a fighter or a tough guy. Only people who brought up the Lucic argument was to provide support about bigger players taking time to develop their offense.

That said, I'm a fan of McCarron. I really liked his game at the U18. He's not the best of skaters and that will probably be his biggest knock to make it to the big leagues but this kids got a major league shot and super size to boot. If this kid ever makes it to the NHL (I hope he does) and old man Lucic is still kicking around in the division 4-5 years from now. There could be some serious 1 on 1 battles and heavy weight tilts going down. Hopefully we'll have our own Tyler "Bust status" Biggs to beat the **** out of McCarron and Looch.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Teufelsdreck

We'll know he's made it when the Bruins fans complain about him.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
PricePkPatch

It took Team Slovakia 3 men to put him down...

Old
07-03-2013, 09:01 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Ahh good ole leafs fans, Gauthier isn't a physical player at all.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Ahh good ole leafs fans, Gauthier isn't a physical player at all.
...so he's a chemical player?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:42 AM
ClasslessGuy

Like that video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPqbIq9bd4

Closed Thread