HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

The cost ($$) of youth hockey

Old
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
The cost ($$) of youth hockey

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...l-youth-hockey

Dad adds up the cost of ten years of hockey.

Quote:
The first time she wore hockey skates at a clinic, I remember a father berating a son who refused to go on the ice. "I just spent $100 on equipment. You better get out there." Hah! Take the skates we put on her now. Elizabeth has had five pairs of Bauer skates at an average price of $200. (Fortunately, her feet have never grown into the adult range, when a topline pair goes for more than $500.) Because she plays for both the school and travel teams, she goes through two sets of blades a year, so additional steel has cost us an estimated $300. Then there's the sharpening: $5 once a week for 25 weeks, times 10 years, equals $1,250. Throw in $50 for broken laces and lost blade covers. And a recent $45 for shoe repair -- her left skate was literally blown apart by a puck in the last period of the victory that got her to San Jose. But we knew a guy who knew a guy who offered to sew up the toe box so she wouldn't have to break in a new pair right away.
Skates: $2,645.
Helmets: $1,250.

Elbow pads: $150. Shin guards: $180.
Gloves: $400.
Febreze spray and drier sheets: $15.
Special hockey detergent: $40.
Sticks: $1,750.
Neck guards (7): $70
Shoulder pads (3): $270
UnderArmour (6): $150
Practice jerseys (5): $100
Pelvic protectors (5): $100 Pants (4): $240
Shells (4): $40
Undersocks (10): $100
Practice socks (5): $50
Bags (4): $200
Black tape: $300
White tape: $50
Clear tape: $200
Stick wax: $50
Travel (transportation, lodging, meals): $10,500 Club dues: $20,000
Camps, clinics, and lessons: $10,000
Grand total: $48,850

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Tramontane Sirocco
Rookie User

wow... I only ever played street hockey, being turned down by teams for being too small (something about being too small for a goalie)
I made a cup out of an elbow pad, no helmet... obstructed my vision... good times

Tramontane Sirocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Well.... that certainly makes me feel good about my decision to have my hypothetical future kids play hockey....

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
epo

This guy clearly wasn't worried about money along the way, so why does he care now?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:49 PM
nubber

sounds about right. shelled out around 6K for my boys hockey this season.

nubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
DyerMaker66

People buy new blades for their skates once/twice a year, get their skates sharpened once a week, buy blade covers, and spend 20,000 dollars on "Club dues"? And I thought I was privileged.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:00 PM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/9...l-youth-hockey

Dad adds up the cost of ten years of hockey.

[/B]
And that is why my parents said they couldn't afford for me to play ice hockey! I guess they were saving up for college or something. Stupid priorities!

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Inkling
Habs Bandwagoner

You can spend that much on minor hockey, but you don't have to.

You can spend that much on pretty much any hobby if you try hard enough.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:02 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
People buy new blades for their skates once/twice a year, get their skates sharpened once a week, buy blade covers, and spend 20,000 dollars on "Club dues"? And I thought I was privileged.
It's not that outrageous in my last year of midget hockey I skated for around 12 hours a week I'd need my skates sharpened at least once a week.

I only started playing hockey in grade 5 so I guess my parents saved some money there. I also never played on any travel teams so all the had to pay was the minor hockey registration fee, around $500 I think & you got a deal if you had more than one child playing. So in my 8 years of minor hockey I'd say I cost my parents $4825 in registration fees, $800 for a tournament in Moncton, say $200 for all my try-outs & at least $3500 on gear. So all together it's around $8525 & that's not counting any of the gas money they spent to get me to the games.

I think one thing that saved them money was I was never good enough for any All-Star team until Midget, saved them an extra $400 per year + travel costs + Tournament fees. The other big one was that if I wanted a good stick I had to buy it with my own money. For example if I wanted a $125 stick instead of the $50 dollar one I had to pay the $75 difference & for the last 4 years of my "career" I had to buy all of my own sticks if I had money in the bank, which was always.

Even now they'll still buy my hockey gear, this past year they went 1/2 with my on an APX & I got a new helmet as well. As a student it's hard to afford gear at all so I'm really quite grateful for the extra help.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:15 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
It's not that outrageous in my last year of midget hockey I skated for around 12 hours a week I'd need my skates sharpened at least once a week.

I only started playing hockey in grade 5 so I guess my parents saved some money there. I also never played on any travel teams so all the had to pay was the minor hockey registration fee, around $500 I think & you got a deal if you had more than one child playing. So in my 8 years of minor hockey I'd say I cost my parents $4825 in registration fees, $800 for a tournament in Moncton, say $200 for all my try-outs & at least $3500 on gear. So all together it's around $8525 & that's not counting any of the gas money they spent to get me to the games.

I think one thing that saved them money was I was never good enough for any All-Star team until Midget, saved them an extra $400 per year + travel costs + Tournament fees. The other big one was that if I wanted a good stick I had to buy it with my own money. For example if I wanted a $125 stick instead of the $50 dollar one I had to pay the $75 difference & for the last 4 years of my "career" I had to buy all of my own sticks if I had money in the bank, which was always.

Even now they'll still buy my hockey gear, this past year they went 1/2 with my on an APX & I got a new helmet as well. As a student it's hard to afford gear at all so I'm really quite grateful for the extra help.
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Who gets their skates sharpened that often....let alone getting the blades replaced that much....Oh and how does someone go through 7 neck guards?? Its not like you grow out of them.

That said, he is lucky she wasn't a guy playing high level hockey. Many of the people I knew playing AAA had much higher dues. And would burn through couple hundred dollar sticks about once of month or quicker. Let alone stuff like practice jerseys/shells/bags are usually part of the team dues...

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
My future kids can grow to love basketball.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:08 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
My future kids are playing rugby.

Hockey has become a total rich kid sport.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:23 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Who gets their skates sharpened that often....let alone getting the blades replaced that much....Oh and how does someone go through 7 neck guards?? Its not like you grow out of them.

That said, he is lucky she wasn't a guy playing high level hockey. Many of the people I knew playing AAA had much higher dues. And would burn through couple hundred dollar sticks about once of month or quicker. Let alone stuff like practice jerseys/shells/bags are usually part of the team dues...
Yep, here in St.John's IIRC it's around $6000, if not more, to play Major Midget. The main goal in playing that level of hockey is to get drafted either to the Q or the NHL but anyone who has any future in hockey has already moved to the mainland to pursue that because the talent level is so low here. You're much better off saving $4500 & just playing in your local AAA/High school league once you get to the Midget age.

My dad likes to remind me that by putting me & my younger brother through hockey my parents gave up on family vacations, home renovations & fixing up his favorite car. The funny thing is I think both my mom & dad got more enjoyment out of going to the games & helping coach/mange the teams I played on so there are positives in this.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Victorious Secret
Need home, pls adopt

vCash: 5973
I'd hate to see the goalie prices. Wow.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This is going to kill the game at the grassroots level.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This is going to kill the game at the grassroots level.
It might be part of the cause of slow growth, but it has always been there.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
ducky

Hockey tends to cost more because of all the equipment PLUS the cost of ice rental...but if you have a child playing on any representative team in any sport, it costs.

My son's last year in soccer cost over $6,000 when you count travel costs, registration fees, tournament fees, $400 for cleats, etc

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
theaub
Lets go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
My son's last year in soccer cost over $6,000 when you count travel costs, registration fees, tournament fees, $400 for cleats, etc
Yup, and if you play for a top-end provincial level baseball team in Ontario (Team Ontario, Ontario Blue Jays etc), the yearly fees can be up to $12K alone. The lower end elite level teams are about $4-$5K.

Hockey is far from alone when it comes to being expensive, especially at a high performance level.

theaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
It might be part of the cause of slow growth, but it has always been there.
There's no question, though, that the middle class is being squeezed out of the sport. Just look at the demographic backgrounds of players being drafted today.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Rabid Ranger
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
My future kids can grow to love basketball.
Canada's are....

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Bure All Day

Costs the most because it is the best... that simple..

I played minor hockey from about 7-17, average reg. fee alone is $600 per year, not including tourny fees and travel costs (hotels) so all that stuff before any equipment at all costs probably $1500 minimum.. and my parents had me and my brother to worry about..

Didn't need to buy all new equipment every year, probably $400 per year minimum for new gear, sticks etc..

Never really realized the total cost, looks like about $30 grand for 10 years minimum, only played competitively a few of those years, which are always more expensive as well

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Crease

What are the major determing factors behind league dues? Is it the cost of ice time?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
jamo27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
What are the major determing factors behind league dues? Is it the cost of ice time?
I manage my son's peewee rep team. The bulk of the costs from team fees/ league dues are ice time, tourney entry fees, dryland training and paying for refs. Add in a team jacket/uniform and it comes out to about $1500 to $2000 for the season. That isn't including hotel rooms, eating when out of town etc.

jamo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well.... that certainly makes me feel good about my decision to have my hypothetical future kids play hockey....
Same here.

I think a rugby ball will be going in their cribs.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Hockey tends to cost more because of all the equipment PLUS the cost of ice rental...but if you have a child playing on any representative team in any sport, it costs.

so still 7 times cheaper than the girl in the article? Yes, high level youth sports are expensive (usually that's mostly down to the travel aspect), but hockey is ridiculous. I'm willing to bet the number of people on this board (from the US) who played the game on ice as opposed to roller blades as kids is pretty low.

I think in the long term, and I mean the really long term here, this will eventually be what pushes soccer past hockey. Soccer has the ability to capture and develop better athletes because it's cheaper and it already has the bigger event stage. If, one day 50 years from now, the US were a World Cup caliber squad that'd be big. Hockey won't go away or anything, but it's increasingly a sport for the upper middle class. That's never a good trajectory for a sport.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote