HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The new GM after this year....

Old
10-23-2006, 09:16 AM
facts

vCash: 500
The new GM after this year....

Let's be perfectly honest, Holmgren is just here for the remainder of the year. The housekeeping includes him and murray but Stevens will keep Murray until the end of the year and name his own replacements.
I know he just signed a deal with LA this summer but I predict that Dean Lombardi will resign and take on the duties with the Flyers. He is familiar with the organization and is highly respected with the brass. It is not uncommon for GMs to resign for better fits and this is the job for Lombardi.
As for Stevens this is exciting his calm appraoch will be neat and he should bring out the best in the youth.
On a Holmgren note, I wish him well, he does appear to be a puppet to Snider, and I think that any future moves will not be directly Holmgren they will have that Stienbrenner influence on them. I think these moves are needed but I like that Stevens is a realist and sees that much work is needed to correct this lineup. Good luck Flyers , Let's get goin.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:39 AM
FlyersFanJS

hextall?

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 09:43 AM
BringBackStevens

no

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
NJFlyer42

I hope you end up being right. The one thing about the timing with this was that I always thought that Dean Lombardi would be one of the few guys I would be comfortable with replacing Clarke. If I remember correctly, he's from the east coast, which could be a factor.

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:15 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42 View Post
I hope you end up being right. The one thing about the timing with this was that I always thought that Dean Lombardi would be one of the few guys I would be comfortable with replacing Clarke. If I remember correctly, he's from the east coast, which could be a factor.
He is a New England guy, born in Massachusetts and played college hockey in Connecticut. The Kings sent a 2006 second-round draft pick to the Flyers as compensation so that, IMO, would negate any talk of Lombardi heading back. Hextall is another matter.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Jester

Hextall will return to the Flyers at some point... i would be shocked if he didn't. I'm not sure he strikes me as a future GM, however. But who knows?

i kinda hope this season goes to complete crap and both the coach and gm job are available next offseason and they go to Sutter offering him both jobs... but that's just me.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Broad st phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hextall will return to the Flyers at some point... i would be shocked if he didn't. I'm not sure he strikes me as a future GM, however. But who knows?

i kinda hope this season goes to complete crap and both the coach and gm job are available next offseason and they go to Sutter offering him both jobs... but that's just me.
i would feel the same way, but only if stevens fails in the coaching department.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Peter

vCash: 50
You gotta think that somewhere down the line Pat Quinn gets a call.

Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You gotta think that somewhere down the line Pat Quinn gets a call.
Please god, no. I think I might end my Flyers fanaticism if that happened.

capn89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I don't think Lombardi will leave that soon out of LA unless there is some reason that he doesn't like it there. Has anyone heard that he doesn't? I wouldn't mind getting Neil Smith as GM.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2006, 11:45 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, with the GM position, I think you'll see someone like Jim Nill or David Conte be offered the position during the offseason. Not to rag on Holmgren, but he was Clarke's right hand man since 1999. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure he has a lot of Clarke tendencies. Now, if he managed to find a way to get rid of Rathje and Hatcher without costing us anything, then I'm all for keeping him onboard. He is very well adept when it comes to amateur scouting and it would be a shame to lose someone with Paul's credential in that area.

I think John Stevens will be exactly what this team needs right now. I was reading some articles on www.philly.com and came across an interesting comment from Simon Gagne talking about Hitchcock and his system that I thought I would post:

"Hitch's system is very intense and complicated," Simon Gagne said. "It took me two years to feel comfortable. You are very afraid to make a mistake."

The last line should be something that sticks out in everyone's mind - you are very afraid to make a mistake. And with a roster full of 2nd year players and some rookies, you can't have that kind of iron fist and expect results. Stevens is the perfect solution right now. However, I can very much see a conversation like this in another four years when the players tire of Stevens' message. Such is the life of a coach in the NHL.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote