HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part VIII: Post-Draft, Rumors, Speculation, Free Agency Opens Friday (July 5)

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 03:12 AM
DecadesofFutility

vCash: 500
Schenns + #2 pick for Pietranglo ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
It's not enough.
Ok, not enough assets yet.
How about Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Laughton + #2 pick for Pietrangelo?
Is that enough yet or would they still want #1 in addition?

Last edited by DecadesofFutility: 07-03-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 03:43 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

I know this is dumb to even think about, but I wonder what Giroux's value would be. Not for any specific trade, just in general.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:42 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I know this is dumb to even think about, but I wonder what Giroux's value would be. Not for any specific trade, just in general.
Tough to put a price tag on him, but value-wise a good comparison would be an elite #1 defender.
When Pronger got traded to Anaheim and later to us he returned four primary pieces (in his case a top6 forward, a top-prospect and two first round picks).
Considering Giroux is significantly younger you might as well add another primary piece.

So if you'd trade someone like him you'd probably look at a top6 forward, a top4 defender, a top-prospect and two first round picks.

Only makes sense if you need depth and have a team around that guy which won't be able to compete for at least 4-5 years.

Someone just offered Reimer, Gardiner/Reilly (not sure) and a 2014 first round pick for G.

Last edited by dookie88: 07-03-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Tough to put a price tag on him, but value-wise a good comparison would be an elite #1 defender.
When Pronger got traded to Anaheim and later to us he returned four primary pieces (in his case a top6 forward, a top-prospect and two first round picks).
Considering Giroux is significantly younger you might as well add another primary piece.

So if you'd trade someone like him you'd probably look at a top6 forward, a top4 defender, a top-prospect and two first round picks.
I'm not so sure Giroux brings in that much. I don't know exactly what his value is or would be, but I think Pronger would fetch more than Giroux, even with the age disparity. Pronger is a former MVP, a Cup winner, sure-thing HOFer, and a franchise defender. Giroux has had one elite season. Not knocking Giroux because I think he's going to be a force in the league for years to come, but I think you could probably take what Prongs get and scale it back slightly or go on the same level. I don't think he''d get more, especially since he is as yet unsigned.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:07 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not so sure Giroux brings in that much. I don't know exactly what his value is or would be, but I think Pronger would fetch more than Giroux, even with the age disparity. Pronger is a former MVP, a Cup winner, sure-thing HOFer, and a franchise defender. Giroux has had one elite season. Not knocking Giroux because I think he's going to be a force in the league for years to come, but I think you could probably take what Prongs get and scale it back slightly or go on the same level. I don't think he''d get more, especially since he is as yet unsigned.
Pronger wasn't a cup-winner and sure-thing HOFer when he got traded to Anaheim.
IMO an elite #1 C at age 25 is worth more than an elite #1D at age 32 or 33.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I saw it as "Who needs prospects anymore!? TAKE OUR YOUNG!"
Ohhh yea!!! Now I get it, that's awesome!!!

Old
07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
That would be a sick trade. Not so sure they would do it though?
Nah I'm pipe dreaming.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Pronger wasn't a cup-winner and sure-thing HOFer when he got traded to Anaheim.
IMO an elite #1 C at age 25 is worth more than an elite #1D at age 32 or 33.
Oh my bad, I thought you meant when he got traded to Philly.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Peter Zezel
CDN Werewolf in LDN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Schenns + #2 pick for Pietranglo ?

Ok, not enough assets yet.
How about Brayden Schenn, Luke Schenn, Laughton + #2 pick for Pietrangelo?
Is that enough yet or would they still want #1 in addition?
I think the slim chance St. Louis moves Pietrangelo they ask for Giroux. They are a top team and wouldn't want to wait for B.Schenn or Laughton to fill their desperate need for a centre. With Giroux not moving I don't think the move has legs.

Last edited by Peter Zezel: 07-03-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Bouwmeester is gone next year so Pietrangelo will take his cap space (plus some), however they do have lots of holes to fill next year. For example, they have no signed goalies.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:36 AM
Hiesenberg

Holy crap I forgot Iginla is a UFA

Old
07-03-2013, 08:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Bouwmeester is gone next year so Pietrangelo will take his cap space (plus some), however they do have lots of holes to fill next year. For example, they have no signed goalies.
The reason they got him is so they can sign him to a new contract and build that defense. I believe he even said he is open to signing with them again. Most likely Jbouw won't hit the open market. There seems to be something about him that doesn't like the east coast. When Florida had him on the market, I remember people saying he wasn't coming here, because he didn't want to be here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Holy crap I forgot Iginla is a UFA
I know everyone hates this, but you know we are going to go for him. He is a power forward who plays the left side. Him with G or Vinny would look good. Now term and money is a problem though, can't give him too much or too long. 2 year deal I would be okay with. Average around 4 million or so. Where we get this money? Nobody knows.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
A pretty good article regarding free agency this week:
Quote:

Something similar has been introduced in the NHL as part of its new collective agreement, although in this lockout-condensed season, the period will be just two days (Wednesday and Thursday).

While free agency won’t officially open until Friday at noon, many teams, players and agents are treating that date as a mere formality.

Just as the NBA had teams such as the New Orleans Pelicans showing up in person late at night to shove a pile of money at 2010 rookie of the year Tyreke Evans on Monday, the same could well happen two days later in hockey.

“For all intents and purposes, free agency starts tomorrow,” was the chorus from multiple NHL executives and agents Tuesday.

To what extent deals will get done before Friday is difficult to say, but it’s expected at least a few players will be off the market quickly.

Teams are allowed to make verbal agreements Wednesday and Thursday, and in the NBA, those are often leaked long before ink meets paper on an actual contract.

All that NHL general managers would admit last weekend is they will use the period to get a head start.

“We’re going to talk to people,” new Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill said. “We’ll wait until after the draft, wait until the dust settles, and we’ll sit down and address that.”

“It’s an opportunity for every team to reach out and make a case,” Detroit Red Wings counterpart Ken Holland explained to reporters Tuesday. “It’s good for players. In the past, players got calls at noon, and have to make a decision within two hours. That’s a big decision for a player and club. From the club’s perspective, you’d like the opportunity to make contact and tell them about your program. It gives players a chance to hear from a number of teams. It’s a great part of the new [collective agreement].”

It may turn out that the more aggressive teams in this new window ultimately benefit, as they’ll have a chance to make a first impression indicating just how interested they are.

That has already been happening with some of the players recently bought out of their contracts, as they are eligible to talk to teams immediately and a few have drawn some major interest.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle12944573/

Old
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I know everyone hates this, but you know we are going to go for him. He is a power forward who plays the left side. Him with G or Vinny would look good. Now term and money is a problem though, can't give him too much or too long. 2 year deal I would be okay with. Average around 4 million or so. Where we get this money? Nobody knows.
He actually plays the right side. He was playing his off wing for the Penguins. The Flyers could still go after him and bump Simmonds down to the 3rd line.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Hiesenberg

Where are the Flyers at with Forwards at this point? I feel like they are lousy with them. I guess it all depends who you think makes the team or not.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
He actually plays the right side. He was playing his off wing for the Penguins. The Flyers could still go after him and bump Simmonds down to the 3rd line.
I think he would play the off wing here. Right side is already set with Voracek, Simmonds, Read. He would probably have to go to the left side to play with G or Vinny. I wouldn't mind him here, just scared of what it would cost.

You know, we can just trade coburn+talbot+2nd for Eberle and put him on G's wing. I like that idea better haha. Never would happen though.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:04 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I think he would play the off wing here. Right side is already set with Voracek, Simmonds, Read. He would probably have to go to the left side to play with G or Vinny. I wouldn't mind him here, just scared of what it would cost.

You know, we can just trade coburn+talbot+2nd for Eberle and put him on G's wing. I like that idea better haha. Never would happen though.
Matt Read hopefully will be traded. I doubt they have the space to sign him next summer and would be better off getting something for him.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:07 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hold on. I think we can make an even better team out of this...

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Laughton - Talbot
Rosheill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gervais

Mason
Emery/Thomas

A better team, and I didn't have to trade a single player.
If Hartnell can score 30-35 goals again, that'd be nice.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Brozgalov

This is probably seen as crazy but ...

What are the chances Laughton plays wing with Couturier at Center? I know Laughton plays a sound defensive game. As someone who doesn't play hockey, how would that affect his play? Would that line become the ultimate shutdown line? I just want someone who knows more then me about playing the game to tell me why that would be a bad idea because I feel like it wouldn't be...

Old
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Am i the only one who would like a cheap reliable veteran defensive center who has size and can win faceoffs on the 4th line instead of Laughton?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Curufinwe

It depends how good Laughton is at faceoffs. If he's getting killed on them, then he'll have to move to wing.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It depends how good Laughton is at faceoffs. If he's getting killed on them, then he'll have to move to wing.
To be honest I think he should just spend one more year in juniors. Moving him to wing would be stupid.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Ya know what we need in Free Agency...Another Center.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Ya know what we need in Free Agency...Another Center.
Just a cheap option to play on the 4th line. It's not going to break the bank. I really don't like Talbot at center and I think it would be better if Laughton spend one more year in junior. It's not like he dominated the OHL.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Hiesenberg

Well Giroux was really good on face-offs and Vinny is. So the Flyers kind of fixed their faceoof issues. You have to expect Couturier to improve.

Closed Thread