HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 04:39 AM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
Soft one dimensional scorer. Like DD except scores instead of passes.
From Hockeysfuture scouting:

Christian Thomas
Talent Analysis

Thomas is an undersized, high skill forward, with excellent speed and outstanding hands. He has the potential to be an elite scorer in the NHL, however, he will need to build greater body strength to be successful in the NHL.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:41 AM
Laboeuf

Trivia:

Did you know that the Oshawa Generals traded Michael Del Zotto, John Tavares and Daryl Borden to London Knights for Christian Thomas?

That's alot for a 5'9" player. He must have some kind of skills.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:55 AM
obcd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
Trivia:

Did you know that the Oshawa Generals traded Michael Del Zotto, John Tavares and Daryl Borden to London Knights for Christian Thomas?

That's alot for a 5'9" player. He must have some kind of skills.
No it was Christian Thomas, defenceman Scott Valentine, goaltender Michael Zador, along with the six draft picks - London's four second-round picks for the next four years, and the Knights third round picks in both 2010 and 2011

Old
07-03-2013, 06:44 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
From Hockeysfuture scouting:

Christian Thomas
Talent Analysis

Thomas is an undersized, high skill forward, with excellent speed and outstanding hands. He has the potential to be an elite scorer in the NHL, however, he will need to build greater body strength to be successful in the NHL.
I doubt that he's faster than Kristo, but maybe he wants to be in Canada and makes hockey a priority. Thing is Kristo did not appear to put in a lot of effort and still did pretty well, he could be another Daigle or he could get his head straight and do pretty well.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:52 AM
Tuggy

Thomas was drafted higher and is younger than Kristo and neither one of them has proven anything yet. I'm willing to give Thomas a chance.

Old
07-03-2013, 06:59 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcd1 View Post
No it was Christian Thomas, defenceman Scott Valentine, goaltender Michael Zador, along with the six draft picks - London's four second-round picks for the next four years, and the Knights third round picks in both 2010 and 2011
Ownage of the day.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:02 AM
NelloMello

chalk up another one for Sather! He stole McDonaugh from us now Kristo. I don't care Thomas's potential, the key word here he's undersized and goes against the Habs building plans. I don't get this trade at all. Word was that Kristo mindset towards Hockey was questionable and look what he did last year nevertheless. Can you imagine when he's on his game + the super speed factor. Sather has stolen another one from right under our noses. WTF!!!!

Old
07-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

If Bergevin has let this one go its because he knows facts about him that we dont and he has decided against keeping him. Gauthier and Gainey would do dumb moves but Bergevin and his staff are MUCH more knowledgeable and they all agreed to let him go.
That right there tells me all i need to know. I'll go with Bergevin on this move.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:10 AM
25get

Interesting to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...8ice_hockey%29

Also Tavares and DelZoto only played 24 games for the Knights but Thomas played three years for the Generals. After that, they went to NHL.

Still does not make him bigger but he is certainly talented.
Let's see the reports from the camp.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Kristo didn't prove anything because he decided to stay in school not because he didn't have the talent to play at other levels. At one point, while Thomas has right now the advantage of 1 full AHL season, it is less than certain that Kristo won't come in and not be as dominating as Thomas could be this year.

Again, the "problem" is not the fact that Thomas is small. It's the fact that after announcing a change in philosophy, Bergevin takes maybe one of the highest valued prospect and don't materialize this "new" philosophy. Having said that....people will see how good a prospect Thomas is. And you have to hope that everything else is address around our smaller talented guys so that they are able to shine.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:34 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

I saw Thomas's name on the Development camp roster so this trade must have been brewing for a couple of days before it was announced.

Can anyone confirm that he is already at camp?

Old
07-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Laboeuf

the problem here is that Kristo has been playing against boys in college, Thomas has been playing against men in AHL.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Are you serious? They are comparing Thomas to Gallagher.
And you? Do you think Thomas can be compared to Gallagher.

I understand you are trying to make a point.
But 15 goals in 44 NHL games is way way better than 19 goals in 73 AHL games.
You could have said that Thomas did 54 goals in OHL. Second behind Toffoli.

We are talking about size here and Kristo was 5'11" and Thomas is 5'9".
Kristo had wheels and was good on defense.

The only way to make sense with this trade is that Kristo did not want to play with us.
If this is the case, I would have waited a bit so he could increase his value in AHL before trading him.

BTW, if we would have done the reverse, I would not complain.
Sure you would have....you just don't know it

Old
07-03-2013, 07:51 AM
25get

If he is better, Kristo should get much better results in AHL than Thomas did last year.
He is two years older.

After 36 games, Gallagher had 10G-10A (4 ppp) whereas Thomas had 8G-6A (3 ppp).
Gallagher was leading the Dogs and Thomas finished fourth.
Kreider and Thomas both had .48 ppg in the same team but Kreider is one year older.

Hopefully, Thomas will continue to improve.

Old
07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelloMello View Post
chalk up another one for Sather! He stole McDonaugh from us now Kristo. I don't care Thomas's potential, the key word here he's undersized and goes against the Habs building plans. I don't get this trade at all. Word was that Kristo mindset towards Hockey was questionable and look what he did last year nevertheless. Can you imagine when he's on his game + the super speed factor. Sather has stolen another one from right under our noses. WTF!!!!
Remember when he stole Balej from us for Kovalev.....that really sucked

Old
07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Sure you would have....you just don't know it
You may be right.
The size was such a shock.

Waiting for Kristo to come and play with us has been very long.
And now, he is gone.

I was hoping that Kristo could replace Ryder in our top-9 at some point during the season.
So when I see a smaller player coming in to replace him with relatively small numbers, I became upset.

Looking at Gionta's number in AHL: at 22 years, he did 9G-16A in 37 games (18G-32A in 74 games).
There is certainly hope for Thomas.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:06 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
the problem here is that Kristo has been playing against boys in college, Thomas has been playing against men in AHL.
Exactly. Looks like Thomas found a way to score against men.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Top Corner2

Quote:
I think this deal is pretty straightforward. Kristo being older and closer to UFA and having completely not impressed anyone during his 9 game sin the AHL has no more value than what you just saw, fetching a 40th overall pick who potted 19 goals as a rookie in the AHL.

Throwing a prospect into a package is usually a losing proposition, see McDonagh.

It's actually not true that we have a lot of what Thomas brings. Truth is, Hamilton is kind of starved for offensive players.

I have no problem at all with this move that buys us development time for a prospect with NHL potential.

Our needs for a crease-clearing defenceman and a scorer to replace Ryder could not be addressed by dangling Kristo.

There is the primary UFA market (Clarkson, etc.), secondary UFA market that will develop after all the expensive guys are taken, the waiver wire, as some overpriced guys but with some skill are made available, and of course the trade market, possibly using assets that could have value in the league like Moen, Diaz, Bourque or Gionta, and even Gorges, Plekanec or Markov, depending on the returns.

How dare you come to this board and try talking to us with your "logic"!!! Who do you think we are?

Old
07-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
I understand the frustration that is generated from this trade after waiting for 5+ years to get Kristo ready to tryout for the team. The McDonough/Gomez trade also has to be factored in, as in once bit twice shy. But let both of them at least get to the NHL before deciding if this was a bad deal or not. Shouldn't Thomas at least be given a chance to fail before he is branded a failure?
Yes he should and folks are overreacting in this thread.

That being said though, the move still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I'm sorry but I really can't see how MTL did the wrong move by trading Kristo.

Don't you remember all his stupid off ice antics? Seems like they got rid of a troublemaker to me.

As for Thomas, watched him a couple of times in the AHL last season. You guys should be excited.
Well, that's a positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
The epitome of everything wrong with this board, at the moment.

"I did my research... saw his height and his weight... I now feel comfortable giving my full opinion on said player and his progression."
There's some truth to this but by the same token it's still weird that we've made this kind of deal.

We have immediate needs on our team coming into this season and we've been talking about the importance of size for a while now. If we're trading away Kristo, that's fine. I'd have just preferred that we had used this asset for something that would help us in the immediate future rather than getting another small forward prospect.

I don't think this is a bad trade per say... I just think that we could've spent this asset elsewhere. I am open minded though and hopefully our guys saw something that will translate to the big leagues someday.
Quote:
I think this deal is pretty straightforward. Kristo being older and closer to UFA and having completely not impressed anyone during his 9 game sin the AHL has no more value than what you just saw, fetching a 40th overall pick who potted 19 goals as a rookie in the AHL.

Throwing a prospect into a package is usually a losing proposition, see McDonagh.

It's actually not true that we have a lot of what Thomas brings. Truth is, Hamilton is kind of starved for offensive players.

I have no problem at all with this move that buys us development time for a prospect with NHL potential.

Our needs for a crease-clearing defenceman and a scorer to replace Ryder could not be addressed by dangling Kristo.

There is the primary UFA market (Clarkson, etc.), secondary UFA market that will develop after all the expensive guys are taken, the waiver wire, as some overpriced guys but with some skill are made available, and of course the trade market, possibly using assets that could have value in the league like Moen, Diaz, Bourque or Gionta, and even Gorges, Plekanec or Markov, depending on the returns.
People have brought up McDonnaugh in this thread a fair bit. I'd say that was a completely different scenario as the whole trade was brutal to begin with. That "throw in" was horrific for a whole slew of reasons.

Kristo is a different story. He's the kind of guy you can package up with other assets for a decent player. Unlike McDonnaugh, Kristo isn't a good enough prospect to get something of value on his own. So if you want something of value (at least for today) I think it makes sense to bundle him with something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelloMello View Post
McDonaugh was a completely different situation and this isn't anywhere close to that. We actually have a chance at winning this trade.

I agree though that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that we've traded for yet another small forward.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Oh man..

I really, really hope we don't have a tanking season with Thomas in our lineup. Otherwise, everybody here will nickname him:

"Thomas the Tank Engine"

Old
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Teufelsdreck

I guess Henri Richard wouldn't have stood a chance with this herd of Habs fans.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:07 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
it is less than certain that Kristo won't come in and not be as dominating as Thomas could be this year.
Except Kristo has never dominated in college or his brief stay in the AHL. Why would he all of a sudden start to dominate? 26 goals is his best production. Nothing to sneeze at I agree but not exactly dominating numbers. Add to that he is now 23 and would at best have to start the season in the A and the question pops to mind: when will he start to dominate? And where? In the A. So he'll move to the NHL at 24? And This all going on with rumours about his off ice issues.

Now let's look at Thomas' numbers: he has had seasons of 41, 55 34 goals in the OHL and 19 his first season in the A. In his first season Thomas had similar numbers to Kristo in his finally year of college. So Thomas proved himself in a tougher league and at an earlier age than Kristo.

If I had to bet on who would turn a corner, I'd put my money on Thomas. I think Kristo's history has demonstrated he is going to dominate nothing.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
PricePkPatch

Is it only me who believes Thomas might look good on Eller's wing?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
newtown33

and some (a lot) people thought Bergevin wouldn't have traded Kristo for a low 1st round pick!!! hf boards....

Having said that, I don't like the trade.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I will admit I don't know much about Thomas, but I've watched a lot of Kristo over the years. Very disappointed he wasn't even given a chance here. I mean I know he's done some dumb things (while being young ), but that's why the new management went out and get all these people to help these youngsters grow. Now instead of giving him a chance, we simply take the easy way out and trade him. If the Rangers or any other team were that interested, they would have waited for November/December for a trade but at least give the kid a shot

Closed Thread