HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

[NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

Old
07-02-2013, 10:03 PM
PMII
Shattendeuces

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Kristo is a good talent but has off ice issues. Likes to party
College kid partying?

youdontsay.jpg

07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
College kid partying?

youdontsay.jpg
Yeah I might me more worried about college kids who don't

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Mittelstadt Nemesis
...One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
College kid partying?

youdontsay.jpg
It's a non-issue. You've got kids like this and then you've got guys like that Devils dman prospect who have real issues.

Means about as much to me as repeated parking violations.

Mittelstadt Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Machinehead
Weidmanns Heil

vCash: 50
I don't party much

But then again I'm not on a hockey scholarship

07-02-2013, 10:21 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

So much crap being spewed around here about Kristo it's stupid. I've watched almost every single game of his the last 4 years. Yes he HAD party issues and selfish issues in the past. UND is 3rd highest binge drinking school in the nation. When winter is in full swing there isn't anything to do but play hockey and drink. Grand Forks is also a small town, and hockey crazy, so these guys walk around like celebrities and are in the spotlight at all times. That's why a large percentage of the guys that went to UND got in trouble at some point (Toews, Oshie, Frattin, Greene, etc.).

I think he has made great strides in becoming a better player and person over the last couple of years. He used to try and do everything himself, I think mostly because he knew he had the talent to do it. He has become a lot more responsible with the puck, and uses his teammates well. He is one of the highest skilled players I have seen come out of NCAA hockey in the last 5-10 years. Yes I'm serious. More pure skill than Toews, or Oshie, or Parise. He has great speed, unbelievable hands, and a good shot. He needs to improve on his awareness, strength, and defense. He isn't a reliability defensively, but he can improve. He might be able to handle a 3rd line role, but I just don't see it. He goes to the dirty areas, but doesn't grind physically or cycle like a typical 3rd liner, he's lean. A comparable for me is Nazem Kadri.

One thing to watch is his ability to make a move at full speed and mid stride, one of the best I've ever seen at it and makes me laugh every time I see it.

And the reason he stuck around college for the full four years is because that's where his best friends were. He balled his eyes out when they showed a montage video of the seniors after their last home game. You can call him a baby, but the guy has a ton of heart and will give you everything he has. You guys robbed Montreal, you will see.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Championship*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FytinSioux View Post
And the reason he stuck around college for the full four years is because that's where his best friends were. He balled his eyes out when they showed a montage video of the seniors after their last home game. You can call him a baby, but the guy has a ton of heart and will give you everything he has. You guys robbed Montreal, you will see.
You realized that Messier was part of our team right

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 11:20 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
So we're upset and you're upset.

Great deal it seems.
This pretty much sums it up. Both players are better than the other fanbase thinks.

- Vince Pedrie
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqAEM4DVoE/
Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
More dynamic with the puck than Kreider.
He's easily a better stickhandler than either Kreider or Thomas, both of whom I've criticized repeatedly (including yesterday) for their lack of stickhandling ability even at the AHL level. Kristo is a very good stickhandler, but his performance at the WJC was too selfish. He's dominated at the NCAA last year, but let's remember he was essentially an overager there as a 23-year-old.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishBullet62 View Post
i found that kind of odd too after hearing Gordie talk about Thomas and his possible future with the club, someone in this thread said something about the rangers being high on Kristo his draft year, Bergevin must have made the offer and Sather couldnt refuse it.
Probably because they didn't expect to do this, but thought that Crisco was so much much better Thomas that they had to pull the trigger on it.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:43 AM
gravey9

From my recollection of Kristo at the 2010 WJC... he was way too selfish. But he was easily one of the most effective forwards for the US team throughout the tournament. He always seemed to come up with a big play, always noticeable on the ice. He just tried to do too much a lot of the time. But his speed constantly created havoc for opponents. After Stepan, no one had a bigger impact up front. Kreider was very good, but he would just have these bursts of effectiveness whereas Kristo was buzzing constantly. If he can simplify his game a bit and maintain a physical edge, he can replicate Cally's game. At his peak, he is a 2nd-3rd line tweener and a pk guy.

If the Rangers play more of a speed/pressure/cycle style Kristo will fit the mold better than Thomas.

Plus, I believe once the Rangers decided to sign Zucc it made Thomas' position within the organization that much more difficult.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:58 AM
gravey9

I think people are getting too caught up in which prospect is better. I think that's a misnomer. I don't actually think this trade is about teams souring on their prospects. think this is a trade, at least from the Rangers perspective that has to do with addressing organizational needs with minimal impact to salary cap. A few big reasons the Rangers failed in the playoffs this year had to do with overall team speed and lack of forward depth. Both the Devils 2 years ago, and the Bruins this past year rolled 4 lines and it killed us. We couldn't match.

Yes, Thomas had the best release in the whole org by far. But the team really needs to address their issues by developing kids who can play an assertive, defensively responsible style on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Using aging, slowing vets like Powe, Halpern, Pyatt didn't work. They cost more and arguably grew less effective by playoff time (well, Halpern was released).

By adding Kristo and giving guys like Kreider, Miller, Fasth and Lindberg a shot in camp (and even Yogan, Hrivik, etc) the Rangers are trying to fix last year's team in the cheapest, best way possible.

To sum up, I don't think the Rangers were all that down on Thomas. And I don't think the Canadiens were all that down on Kristo. I think the players just give you different things and the Rangers really needed a forward like Kristo who can come in and play effective 3rd or 4th line minutes by mid-season. Remember, possibly no Hags or Cally to start the year too...

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
What's his nickname? I vote for either Count or Monty (as in, The Count of Monte Cristo)
How 'bout Jesus Kristo?

Old
07-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Glen Sathers Cigar
Sather 4 Ever

I love when people hear of a kid who parties and say he's a headcase. At the end of the day, they're hockey players. They just so happen to be really good. I played juniors for a while and then played in college, I've played with guys who are in the minors and a few actually made it to the show last year. We're all the same good or bad. Love to drink, party, wheel chicks, chew , get into fights, bust balls. There's a reason hockey is the only sport where the champions drink booze right out of the trophy.

What will happen to Kristo is what happens to most guys I assume. He realizes this is his full time job and he's making an obscene amount of money and if he doesn't want to jeopardize his dream, then he better save his partying for the off season. But to have worries about him because he "partied in college" is just ridiculous. It's not like he's Rick Nash and we found out he drinks a bottle of whiskey and a 12 pack every night. Just like normal people he will have to grow up.

Glen Sathers Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:27 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
kristo had a huge bandwagon among our fans, but some of us thought he could be a nutcase. here are a few reasons why ...

http://www.uscho.com/2013/01/29/nort...rsons-charges/

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...2#.UdNKrr7D97A

I personally find the 2nd one hilarious.
How anyone could draw the descriptor "nutcase" from those two stories is beyond me...

Sounds like a normal college kid that got unlucky while trying to get lucky. Far from being a nutcase...at least from those 2 stories lol. Some people on here are way too dramatic. "Oh no! A hockey player brought beer to a party that had under-agers attending it? Insanity!"

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Gordie Clark was just talking Christian Thomas up, saying he finished strong and should see a lot of PP time with the Pack, which he did not last year. it's kinda mystifying to me why they traded the guy they thought could get a shot this upcoming year, but most likely next year for Kristo.
I think it comes down to this:

1. Cally and Hags are hurt for a couple of weeks.

2. With AV, there might be more of a need of skill on the depth lines.

3.a Kristo is more ready than Thomas. More complete.

3.b Kristo is distincivly a better fit under AV than Thomas. When AV's team in Vancouver got controll of the puck in their own end, they sent two forwards up ice and created a triangle down low with one of the forwards going up the boards on one side and one of the D's on the other, and the second D down deep at the bottom of the triangle. Those three players make a plays with the puck individually or between them to get away from the forecheckers. Once they do that and get an open passing line, the two forwards up ice curves so they can receive a pass and very often ends up in more or less 2 on 2 situations heading up ice. AV really likes his forwards high up ice being able to drive the puck to the net instead of just shipping it in and going after it. That really sticks out when you watch Van.

Kristo is very good at heading up ice with the puck and driving to the net. I don't know if Kristo skates that well, I am not blown away by his vision nor his shot really, but he is very good at skating with the puck. Beating his guy and making a play. Making it count.

Look, I am just guessing here. But I wouldn't at all be suprised if this is how this trade went down: (i) AV and the brass sits down and look at what they have. Line for line more or less. (ii) They cover Cally and Hags being injured for a couple of weeks early in the season, and see that there is at least one winger position that is wide open early in the season unless AV wants to work with Torts leftovers (Asham and co) higher up the lineup. (iii) AV concludes that we are short on speed on the depth lines (this is quite obvious conclusion by AV comparing our 4th lineers with Van's 4th lineers...). This is an area of weekness in the organization. Players capable of skating the puck up ice and making plays with it. Think Jannick Hansen. Think even Dale Weise. And several others in Vancouvers. (iv) They start looking around the league, and to atleast add more or less depth in this department. (v) AV brings up a player they where high on in Vancouver: Danny Kristo. He says something like this is a player our scouts in Van liked and I liked, but we could never get him. Slats picks up the phone, and manage to get it done.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:38 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Lateral move.

Thomas is a sniper, while Kristo is explosive and a playmaker.

Get the selfish no-look fancy stuff from 2010 out of your heads. He was a real leader and played a heady game the last two years at NoDak.

Skill guy.

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Kristo has David Booth potential. His speed is legit and making plays off the rush is one of his strong points. He cut down on the drop passes and forced plays. He really matured at NoDak.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:17 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

College Rent-a-cops busting Kristo for bringing beer to a party will not impact the way he passes the puck in the AHL or NHL.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
I think people are getting too caught up in which prospect is better. I think that's a misnomer. I don't actually think this trade is about teams souring on their prospects. think this is a trade, at least from the Rangers perspective that has to do with addressing organizational needs with minimal impact to salary cap. A few big reasons the Rangers failed in the playoffs this year had to do with overall team speed and lack of forward depth. Both the Devils 2 years ago, and the Bruins this past year rolled 4 lines and it killed us. We couldn't match.

Yes, Thomas had the best release in the whole org by far. But the team really needs to address their issues by developing kids who can play an assertive, defensively responsible style on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Using aging, slowing vets like Powe, Halpern, Pyatt didn't work. They cost more and arguably grew less effective by playoff time (well, Halpern was released).

By adding Kristo and giving guys like Kreider, Miller, Fasth and Lindberg a shot in camp (and even Yogan, Hrivik, etc) the Rangers are trying to fix last year's team in the cheapest, best way possible.

To sum up, I don't think the Rangers were all that down on Thomas. And I don't think the Canadiens were all that down on Kristo. I think the players just give you different things and the Rangers really needed a forward like Kristo who can come in and play effective 3rd or 4th line minutes by mid-season. Remember, possibly no Hags or Cally to start the year too...
Well said and I think ur on the ball w the mind set.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:47 AM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I think it comes down to this:

1. Cally and Hags are hurt for a couple of weeks.

2. With AV, there might be more of a need of skill on the depth lines.

3.a Kristo is more ready than Thomas. More complete.

3.b Kristo is distincivly a better fit under AV than Thomas. When AV's team in Vancouver got controll of the puck in their own end, they sent two forwards up ice and created a triangle down low with one of the forwards going up the boards on one side and one of the D's on the other, and the second D down deep at the bottom of the triangle. Those three players make a plays with the puck individually or between them to get away from the forecheckers. Once they do that and get an open passing line, the two forwards up ice curves so they can receive a pass and very often ends up in more or less 2 on 2 situations heading up ice. AV really likes his forwards high up ice being able to drive the puck to the net instead of just shipping it in and going after it. That really sticks out when you watch Van.

Kristo is very good at heading up ice with the puck and driving to the net. I don't know if Kristo skates that well, I am not blown away by his vision nor his shot really, but he is very good at skating with the puck. Beating his guy and making a play. Making it count.

Look, I am just guessing here. But I wouldn't at all be suprised if this is how this trade went down: (i) AV and the brass sits down and look at what they have. Line for line more or less. (ii) They cover Cally and Hags being injured for a couple of weeks early in the season, and see that there is at least one winger position that is wide open early in the season unless AV wants to work with Torts leftovers (Asham and co) higher up the lineup. (iii) AV concludes that we are short on speed on the depth lines (this is quite obvious conclusion by AV comparing our 4th lineers with Van's 4th lineers...). This is an area of weekness in the organization. Players capable of skating the puck up ice and making plays with it. Think Jannick Hansen. Think even Dale Weise. And several others in Vancouvers. (iv) They start looking around the league, and to atleast add more or less depth in this department. (v) AV brings up a player they where high on in Vancouver: Danny Kristo. He says something like this is a player our scouts in Van liked and I liked, but we could never get him. Slats picks up the phone, and manage to get it done.
Have you watched him? Skating is excellent. He flies with or without the puck. Vision is good, but he used to not use his teammates as much as he should, that's improved. Shot is accurate and pretty hard. It may not "blow you away", but its good.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:13 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

North Dakota Hockey beat writer. He saw Kristo play every game in the last 4 years.

Quote:
There are some similarities between the players. Both are from the Twin Cities: McDonagh is from St. Paul and Kristo is from Eden Prairie.

Both played their college hockey in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association: Kristo played for UND and McDonagh for Wisconsin. Both earned all-rookie team honors and all-WCHA honors while in college.

Kristo and McDonagh were teammates on the 2009 U.S. World Junior squad as well.

Now, Kristo will try to take the same path to the NHL, where McDonagh has been a key part in helping the Rangers to the conference semifinals in each of the last two playoffs.

The Rangers need help in the scoring department and Kristo, who led all WCHA players with 26 goals last season, could help. The right winger has potential to play a number of roles with a New York team that just hired former Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault as the bench boss.

Kristo can be both a scorer and an energy player with his high-end skating ability
http://www.inforum.com/event/article.../group/Sports/

Kristo has played with Stepan and Kreider. Kristo is a better fit than Thomas.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
Ail
Dear Friend Pape

Love this move. The prospect swaps lately have been potential home-runs.

Besides who doesn't have a soft spot for WJC Gold medal players?

07-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
@StatBoy_Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Love this move. The prospect swaps lately have been potential home-runs.

Besides who doesn't have a soft spot for WJC Gold medal players?
Me but that's because I have no real ties with US national teams. From what I've read, Kristo is a better fit for our organization and Thomas is a better fit for MTL. Win-win which is rare in straight-up trades

Old
07-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Ail
Dear Friend Pape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
Me but that's because I have no real ties with US national teams. From what I've read, Kristo is a better fit for our organization and Thomas is a better fit for MTL. Win-win which is rare in straight-up trades
Sorry 'Murica only 'round here. Ya'll Yer-o-peeans ain't welcome.

(Queue Hulk Hogan theme song.)

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Lorb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Sorry 'Murica only 'round here. Ya'll Yer-o-peeans ain't welcome.

(Queue Hulk Hogan theme song.)
Speaking of which, I am usually the most unpatriotic Canadian during WJC time since all of our prospects have been American or European.

Lorb is offline   Reply With Quote