HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
I hope Ulf does coach cheap shots we need some ****ing snarl. If someone beats up Max Doucheoretty we had a great season.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Joey Bones

Like the Ulf signing, 50/50 on Arniel (would've taken someone else for the PP). Please tell me Benoit Allaire is still there?!!!

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
His decision making is unbelievably bad.

Example: Jordan Schroeder & Zack Kassian were playing pretty well, Schroeder had something like 4 points in his last 5 games, Kassian about that too.

then one game Kevin Connaution single-handedly cost us the game late, we were up by a goal with not much time left and he made a brutal giveaway on one goal then right away on the 2nd one his defensive positioning was terrible, it was something like that.

Then the next game Arniel scratches Kassian, Schroeder & Connaution, and Schroeder & Kassian weren't even on the ice and both had been playing fine, then a big deal was made of it out here in Vancouver.

He has an unbelieve love for scrubs who can't play, like Darren Haydar was just terrible all year and he kept getting top line minutes over Schroeder who was still putting up points at a great rate like .80 pts or something like that, probably a bit better, & its funny too cause after Schroeder was sent down Arniel finally put him on the top line due to some injuries and he was a PPG player. He also burnt out our goalie Matt Climie but never giving him a rest despite our prospect Joe Cannata being available who has been nothing short of great in his AHL starts so far.

I could go on, but anyways hopefully it works it just seemed like he went out of his way to put veterans who were not working at all ahead of prospects who just needed a bit more opportunity to really help the team, no surprise they missed the playoffs.
but Haydar's been a good producer at the AHL, maybe that's why he leaned on his vet?

Also how was Newell Brown on the Canucks? I heard he was an associate coach there. Thanks for the input.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Why Arniel when he had such bad results coaching Nash and Brassard? Don't get it.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
but Haydar's been a good producer at the AHL, maybe that's why he leaned on his vet?

Also how was Newell Brown on the Canucks? I heard he was an associate coach there. Thanks for the input.
Haydar was nothing like his former self, absolutely terrible. Even got to the point (very surprisingly) where he was scratched many times.

As for Newell Brown. He was great at the start with the PP, but near the end of his tenure (last year) he wouldn't change the strategies despite it failing miserably.

I wouldn't be too worried that last part though, our PP was among the leagues best for most of his time here & seeing as its a fresh start I think he will do fine in NY.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Haydar was nothing like his former self, absolutely terrible. Even got to the point (very surprisingly) where he was scratched many times.

As for Newwell Brown. He was great at the start with the PP, but near the end of his tenure (last year) he wouldn't change the strategies despite it failing miserably.

I wouldn't be too worried though our PP was among the leagues best for most of his time here & seeing as its a fresh start I think he will do fine in NY.
Thanks again for the input.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Thanks again for the input.
Not problem glad I could help

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Kershaw

Hope AV and his crew can utilize this type of cycling/pinching game. It would make for some very entertaining games.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
So for those who want the Rangers' blueline to use their size & get their shots to hit the net more consistently etc., you will likely get your wish.
Probably not related, doubt there shots will change at all. Wish changing coaches resulted in a bunch of Souray blasts from the blueline, but I for one won't be holding my breath. .

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
edsters

vCash: 756
Quote:

Hope AV and his crew can utilize this type of cycling/pinching game. It would make for some very entertaining games.
Pretty sure that was just Sedin magic. No other line on the Canucks could come close to doing this. Don't think AV had much to do with this

edsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:25 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Probably not related, doubt there shots will change at all. Wish changing coaches resulted in a bunch of Souray blasts from the blueline, but I for one won't be holding my breath. .
Ulf cannot get guys to shoot harder.

But, having played D, he can get the group to understand shooting angles, tendencies of the opponents' forwards when they go to block shots, preach & practice better patience with the puck, etc.

I don't know how much of a difference it will make until we see it in action. But there are things a former NHL D-man would know & can pass along that a former NHL Center in Sullivan can't/couldn't/wouldn't. One can only hope.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Arniel met with the Rangers and Stars about their assistant coaches positions. Arniel was an assistant for Ruff in Buffalo. Arniel knows Vigneault from Vancouver. Arniel coached the Canucks AHL team on two separate occasions. Newell Brown turned an offer to join the Sabres staff. Does Brown join Ruff in Dallas? Jim Nill knows Brown their Red Wings days in the 1990s. Arniel played for Buffalo when Torts was an assistant coach in Buffalo. Sullivan in Vancouver. Mike Foligno was an assistant for Arniel last season in Chicago. Foligno was mentioned as a possibility with Torts. Foligno played for Torts in Buffalo.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
Like the Ulf signing, 50/50 on Arniel (would've taken someone else for the PP). Please tell me Benoit Allaire is still there?!!!
Benoit Allaire is still there.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:08 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Will Jerry the video coach be retained?! I imagine he wanted Torts gone too after the way Torts got pissed off at him in 24/7 for the projector crapping out

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I hope Brassard doesn't fall back to his Columbus days. He experienced a nightmare under Arniel.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

So Newell Brown isn't happening?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:43 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
So Newell Brown isn't happening?
Don't know yet.

Still a possibility.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
There's a world of difference in being a HC and a Assistant. The demands that a HC puts on players is a lot greater than the demands placed on a player by an sst. coach.

I have no doubt that any difficulties that Arniel may have had with Nash, Dorsett and Brassard as head coach will not be evident at all as the asst. coach.

two different worlds really.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jerry Dineen was here before Torts. Dineen goes back to the Soupy Campbell days. That's almost 20 years ago now. Dineen could write some great book on the Rangers in the future if he wanted to. Neil Smith days. Glen Sather. John Muckler. Ron Low. Bryan Trottier. Terry O'Reilly. Tom Renney. Theo Fleury. Kevin Stevens. Mark Messier.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:04 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Canucks fan dropping by.

Sorry to hear that your team has decided to hire Scott Arniel... Since leaving us for Columbus a few years back, he hasn't been the same and plays favourites with his veteran scrubs like no other, often to the detriment of team success. Hopefully for you guys, he won't have as much say as an assistant coach.

Regarding Newell Brown, him and AV formed a pretty lethal power play for us but, as a result of scouting from other teams, its effectiveness died. Reports say that he had new ideas for the power play this season but they were vetoed by AV, leaving us with a terribad PP last season. Overall, his work has been fairly positive. If him and AV can come up with fresh ideas, there's a good chance your PP will improve with his hiring. However, if AV decides to continue to recycle old ideas... good luck!

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:02 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc23 View Post
Canucks fan dropping by.

Sorry to hear that your team has decided to hire Scott Arniel... Since leaving us for Columbus a few years back, he hasn't been the same and plays favourites with his veteran scrubs like no other, often to the detriment of team success. Hopefully for you guys, he won't have as much say as an assistant coach.

Regarding Newell Brown, him and AV formed a pretty lethal power play for us but, as a result of scouting from other teams, its effectiveness died. Reports say that he had new ideas for the power play this season but they were vetoed by AV, leaving us with a terribad PP last season. Overall, his work has been fairly positive. If him and AV can come up with fresh ideas, there's a good chance your PP will improve with his hiring. However, if AV decides to continue to recycle old ideas... good luck!
The sad part is it was still better than ours.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
The sad part is it was still better than ours.
This is what I was thinking. Canucks fans should've spent a week watching our PP before their games started on the west coast if they think their PP was "terribad."

Old
07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I hope Brassard doesn't fall back to his Columbus days. He experienced a nightmare under Arniel.
To be fair, it was Allen Walsh (his agent) going off about Arniel and stuff and that's basically Walsh's MO whenever a client of his is struggling. There's a very good chance the whole thing was overblown by Walsh to a large degree

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:27 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
This is what I was thinking. Canucks fans should've spent a week watching our PP before their games started on the west coast if they think their PP was "terribad."
It was only .1% better so they had a very similar PP.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
It was only .1% better so they had a very similar PP.
From what it sounds like from most canucks fans, their PP at least had a pulse for part of the year until the end.