HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
From what Poile is saying, the Predators are unlikely to be active in the free agent market, beyond backup goaltender. He said yesterday that they have a value that they're willing to pay for every player on the market, and if it goes beyond that, then they're not interested. He then went on to say that it's trending toward costs being beyond what they think players are worth. He hinted at being more interested in a trade.

In other words, the same things he says every year...then training camp approaches and it becomes, "we want to see what we have," then the season begins and it turns into "we'll be looking around the trading deadline."

He's already backpedaled on the "we need to replace Erat with a veteran F."

They'll swing and miss on Briere, they may bring in a low level "project" player like Daugavins...but all of this talk about Horton, Weiss, even Brunner...is a pipe dream.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
From what Poile is saying, the Predators are unlikely to be active in the free agent market, beyond backup goaltender. He said yesterday that they have a value that they're willing to pay for every player on the market, and if it goes beyond that, then they're not interested. He then went on to say that it's trending toward costs being beyond what they think players are worth. He hinted at being more interested in a trade.

In other words, the same things he says every year...then training camp approaches and it becomes, "we want to see what we have," then the season begins and it turns into "we'll be looking around the trading deadline."

They'll swing and miss on Briere, they may bring in a low level "project" player like Daugavins...but all of this talk about Horton, Weiss, even Brunner...is a pipe dream.
If Poile is going on the cheap its because ownership has told him to and I dont believe that for a minute. I think ownership has made it clear we cannot have another season like last year and I expect Poile to either sign or acquire a top 6 forward. Maybe not a marquee player, but I cant imagine him standing pat.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If Poile is going on the cheap its because ownership has told him to and I dont believe that for a minute. I think ownership has made it clear we cannot have another season like last year and I expect Poile to either sign or acquire a top 6 forward. Maybe not a marquee player, but I cant imagine him standing pat.
My head goes with Goc on this but the fan in me hopes you're right on this V. Come on Poile shock the world and get us something good.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
I hope that's the case, but the lip service is already beginning.

He makes this "players got paid more than we felt they were worth" speech every season. The issue is that players are worth what the market pays them. That's capitalism. If you can never sign anyone because they "got paid too much," then maybe your valuations need to be adjusted?

Paul Kariya signed for 3 years, 4.5 per...in 2005. You can't forever use that as the template for what a high end free agent should cost.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
PFL615

I am seeing a lot of chatter on twitter locally and Nationally on Seguin. Does Nashville have any chance at a trade for him? He could be the big time forward the Preds are looking for.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I am seeing a lot of chatter on twitter locally and Nationally on Seguin. Does Nashville have any chance at a trade for him? He could be the big time forward the Preds are looking for.
Using what assets? Boston would want Colin Wilson, not Austin Watson\Ryan Ellis...and we would need Wilson AND Seguin, not either/or.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
PFL615

How about Watson/Ellis/prospect/2014 2nd round?

They are looking for cap space to be able to sign other players. With that said it is not going to be a big name expensive player trade.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Using what assets? Boston would want Colin Wilson, not Austin Watson\Ryan Ellis...and we would need Wilson AND Seguin, not either/or.
Bingo. Asking price will be too high. I'm thinking, not just Wilson, but Josi. No thanks. I think we need to realize that our team, with Jones and an added backup, is set...for good or bad.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:04 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

The other reason Boston may be willing to move Seguin is work ethic and if that's the case, no thank you.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:14 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
The Oilers didn't qualify Colten Teubert - might be a bad sign and we need another right handed d-man like we need cancer, but the former first rounder might be worth a flier.
Teubert couldn't make the Oilers' NHL roster at all this season. What chance does he have of making ours?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Bingo. Asking price will be too high. I'm thinking, not just Wilson, but Josi. No thanks. I think we need to realize that our team, with Jones and an added backup, is set...for good or bad.
How are they going to afford Josi and Wilson if they are worried about Seguin salary.
Yes you're going to pay for a guy like Seguin.

It's funny the ones who are talking about costs and work ethic of a legit top line forward are the same ones who cry and complain we don't have any offense or talent upfront.

So do we want offense? Or do we want to moan and groan about every player that comes up?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
agreed but at the same time you'd have to think other GMs would be wary of taking on a guy with a 5.7 mil cap hit for another 6 years that Boston was eager to dump.

It would take Wilson if they really dont want/need to unload him but if they are motivated to move him they might take Bourque instead of Wilson.

of course the problem is you have to wonder, if they do trade him, are they dumping him because he is getting ready to "Blum" himself down to a level that doesnt justify his cap hit

Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
weeze

Sometimes reading this board can be very frustrating. Half of the people bash GMDP for not doing anything when they keep saying that they are gonna do something and the other half doesn't want what players are out there and available or saying we need other players who are not available.

I guess that is what these boards are for but it can be very discouraging at times. I like our team and most of the players, I think we needed to let a few go and try some different ones. Even if they are close to the same type. Lets not forget that 2 yrs ago we were picked to go to the SCF before the Phoenix meltdown. Our team isn't that different (sans Suter) and a few other small pieces. We just played better team hockey than this past yr, and had very few injuries as well.

With the way the playoffs are set up, almost half of the teams have a shot at winning the cup, each yr. Solid D, a little O and great goaltending and you have a shot. Sounds like we have a shot to me. JMHO

Old
07-03-2013, 09:28 AM
weeze

Quote:
agreed but at the same time you'd have to think other GMs would be wary of taking on a guy with a 5.7 mil cap hit for another 6 years that Boston was eager to dump.

It would take Wilson if they really dont want/need to unload him but if they are motivated to move him they might take Bourque instead of Wilson.

of course the problem is you have to wonder, if they do trade him, are they dumping him because he is getting ready to "Blum" himself down to a level that doesnt justify his cap hit
I thinks some teams are dumping because the Cap has come down and they need to shed some space. You need to shed salary but also need to have enough players. It may be more about $$ than anything else.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
The Oilers didn't qualify Colten Teubert - might be a bad sign and we need another right handed d-man like we need cancer, but the former first rounder might be worth a flier.
Teubert is like Blum, only not as talented and not as smart, unfortunately. Big, rough-style d-man though.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Briere will end up in Buffalo and isn't what we nned anyways. SK isn't all that good of a player even when he is playing well. I'm thinking if anything gets done it will be through a trade and not UFA...
I tend to be against bringing in most of the names talked about, but I actually think Briere could be a pretty beneficial signing, very much like Kariya was. Sign him to a cheaper, shorter term deal, give him a few years to boost his production so that he can pursue a big retirement contract, and he helps stabilize our top 6 a bit in the process.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I've heard from very good sources that Poile had a lot of room left in last years budget so I don't know if that's completely true.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Cigarran has said over and over again that ownership won't drive hockey ops. They'll make resources available, but what DP does with them is completely up to him.

When the Predators went out and signed Arnott, Dumont, traded for Forsberg, etc etc...that was ownership driving. Poile later admitted that Leipold told him to be aggressive--but it's not typically in his nature.

If Poile thinks players aren't "worth it," he's not going to sign them. The issue is starting to seem to be that his concept of "value" is skewed.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
RaiderDoug

You guys are nuts if you think Boston is going to just give away Seguin because of a cap dump.

Start with Colin Wilson. Add "++".

And by "++", I don't mean the "Ryan Ellis and a 2014 2nd" level junk we try to drop on everyone in every trade proposal. Think FF9 + Watson.

There will be plenty of teams bidding, driving the price up.

Also, I'd be wary about why Boston all of a sudden wants to drop thier young stud forward like a hot potato. I don't buy the cap concerns reason. There's plenty of ways to create cap space other than dumping Seguin.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
GenericFan2*

Quote:

I think MacArthur would be the best, and most probable fit. Nonis has stated that re-signing Mac is an option, but it is pretty clear that he's on his way out, or will be testing the market.

Good for 20 goals if given minutes on the 2nd line, and is responsible defensively. He tends to go invisible for long periods of time, but he produces and is a complementary player. Best way to describe him is a garbage man, and I would think he signs with the team that gives him the most dough (around 3-3.5 maybe).

Old
07-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

David Poile talks himself into not making changes. Follow his press conferences. It is clear every year. This teams offense is his blind spot every year.

It is almost incomprehensible to rationalize not improving this offense.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
You guys are nuts if you think Boston is going to just give away Seguin because of a cap dump.

And by "++", I don't mean the "Ryan Ellis and a 2014 2nd" level junk we try to drop on everyone in every trade proposal. Think FF9 + Watson.

Also, I'd be wary about why Boston all of a sudden wants to drop thier young stud forward like a hot potato. I don't buy the cap concerns reason. There's plenty of ways to create cap space other than dumping Seguin.
Who would have thought Vancouver#1 goalie would have gone for the #9 pick.
I am sure a lot of HF board posters would have had ++++++.....
With that said the wary feelings you have is why Mr. Seguin may not go for the high return. Is he going for free? No.. but i am sure the Preds can offer something to get Boston to listen. I would think your usual suspects in the east would be out if the running for obvious reasons.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

according to the article they shopped him and didn't get any offers.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd be ok with FF9+Watson though, without blinking an eye.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:40 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd be ok with FF9+Watson though, without blinking an eye.
So give up a potential top 3 forward for another potential top 3 forward? Why not keep FF and add to him? Deal from strength, our D, to land forwards.

Closed Thread