HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Vinny signs which center traded?

Old
07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Any defenseman leading your team in TOI is going to be worth at least 4.50m.

He probably will lead us in TOI again this year, but he'll have a capable partner for a change.

Every year that Coburn has excelled, he's been paired with somebody who can take some responsibilities away from him. Streit does just that.
Im going to have to disagree with your first part Chris. Just because you lead the team on TOI doesnt mean you either deserve it, did well doing it, or deserve the contract you get. There are teams out there were 3/4 guys leading their team on TOI and wouldnt even sniff that time on our team. Another example is Matt Carle. Matt Carle lead or was close to lead our team on TOI but we all can agree he isnt close to what he deserves money wise.

I am currently on the "cant trade Coburn now" boat since if he gets traded our defense will take a hit, even if statistically Coburn has been pretty bad. I wanted to improve our offense but now with Vinny it makes to sense to add to it. Easy way to fix all this is to try and pawn Mez off for low.

I'd be more confortable if they had a young guy (see Ghost, Morin, Hagg) ready to replace him but obviously all 3 are not.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
How far is Ghost? Is it possible all 3 may show up around the same time? 2 years?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
How far is Ghost? Is it possible all 3 may show up around the same time? 2 years?
Realistcally Morin will take the longest to develop but this is the Flyers. Wouldnt be surprised if they take a look straight out of camp.

I think based off of Ghost being 20 he is the closest. Im expecting him to turn pro after next season (unless he wants to finish his engineering degree) and play in the AHL for a season. Hopefully make the team as a 21 yr old (so I guess two seasons like you said).

Haag is a wild card I feel because when he is on his game, he is a NHL player already. That being said, he is inconsistent at the time where he would turn invisible in the middle of a game or a full game. From what he "first" said he will play 2 years in Sweden then come over. Then he went on saying 1-2 years. I think realistically two years and then he comes over at 20.

So technically Ghost and Haag could play pro at the same time but I would realistically think only one makes the team if that in 2 years (my guess is Ghost if he continues to improve like he has the past year).

Ghost is the wild card. If he can keep showing the tremendous progress he has made both offensively and defensively I think he will make the squad first, then Haag and then a year or two later Morin. I feel like Morin would best be suited to be brought up slowly and compete for a roster spot at 21/22.

This is assuming we dont trade them.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Hiesenberg

Promising sounding.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:40 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I'm looking forward to Schenn just going out and thinking offense like all the time.
He's a two way guy. Don't get too excited about him being an offensive weapon. Good checking winger probably get 50-60 points. Maybe I'm underestimating him.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Hiesenberg

I think he can be better, but I just really like him, I like his game.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Mota

Giroux for Weber?

I really like the looks of G-Vinny-Coots-Laughton as our four centers. Schenn is the kind of player they want to add to wing, so it makes sense just to move him over there. I would actually love to see him as the LW with G and Voracek. I think his physical play could create a lot of space for them...and he has the skill too to compliment them.

They are fine this year, maybe even next. In a few years it will be more of a log jam.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Hiesenberg

Schenn does play the type of game that line needs, plus if they just ask him to shoot all day long

Old
07-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Prongo
Beer

I will say one thing, it is inevitable that down the line one of our young centers are moved. Laughton will start developing into the type of player he is meant to be, then we have Couts/Schenn/Vinny up the middle. Laughton won't be moved to wing, so something will give sooner or later. I think it might be sooner actually.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I will say one thing, it is inevitable that down the line one of our young centers are moved. Laughton will start developing into the type of player he is meant to be, then we have Couts/Schenn/Vinny up the middle. Laughton won't be moved to wing, so something will give sooner or later. I think it might be sooner actually.
Why won't Laughton be moved to wing?

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Why won't Laughton be moved to wing?
We aren't going to continue to stunt the growth of our players by moving them from their natural position. I understand we would all like that, but Laughton is a good centerman. I don't know how he would play in the NHL as a winger, just know we can't keep moving these kids from their natural position.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Curufinwe

Why can't he play 4th line center for a couple of years and move up when there are injuries? And there will be injuries.

There is really no rush to trade any of our young players unless another team wants to drastically overpay.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:28 AM
duffy9748

Agreed with whoever said to put Schenn in a Patrick Sharp type role. If he is still on this team come training camp they will have a great top 6.

19-28-93
10-Lecav-17

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:35 AM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
We aren't going to continue to stunt the growth of our players by moving them from their natural position. I understand we would all like that, but Laughton is a good centerman. I don't know how he would play in the NHL as a winger, just know we can't keep moving these kids from their natural position.
I don't understand this, it's not like players are born to play a certain position and that's it. Centers especially can move between all forward positions.

I really just dont see it "stunting the growth" of our young players by moving them to wing. They're still learning because they're young, it would be harder to make the move the older they get. Maybe it takes them a season to adjust to wing, but they're already developing anyway. It's not like it puts the rest of their development on hold when they switch from center to wing, they still learn.

The only ones who I see as not being able to move to wing are Lecavalier and Couturier. They wouldn't be as effective on wing given their play style. Giroux, Schenn, Laughton, Talbot and Read are all very capable of moving to wing.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I don't understand this, it's not like players are born to play a certain position and that's it. Centers especially can move between all forward positions.

I really just dont see it "stunting the growth" of our young players by moving them to wing. They're still learning because they're young, it would be harder to make the move the older they get. Maybe it takes them a season to adjust to wing, but they're already developing anyway. It's not like it puts the rest of their development on hold when they switch from center to wing, they still learn.

The only ones who I see as not being able to move to wing are Lecavalier and Couturier. They wouldn't be as effective on wing given their play style. Giroux, Schenn, Laughton, Talbot and Read are all very capable of moving to wing.
I will disagree here. Your taking players who basically played a position (Center) for their entire careers and expect them to switch to a different role. Now I think the most difficult part of this is the mindset, as a center you have a certain role to fill and you have been doing for probably what feels like forever. Its not exactly easy to break habits. And some play styles just don't translate well to the outside. And on top of all that, they are trying to learn the position against the toughest of competitions, it would be one thing if you asked Laughton for instance to shift to the wing at Juniors. I think by moving some players to the wing (ie Laughton) you actually lower his skill ceiling. You take away alot of what makes him so desirable, similar to the reasons people would prefer not to move Coots to wing. The problem is you need to trade from your strengths to fix your weaknesses, and right now down the middle we are super deep and very talented.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I can appreciate that but junior forward positions should be taken with a grain of salt. Gagne was a center but played LW, Giroux was a RW, but plays center. I wouldn't say Laughton is best at center when he hasn't played a single minute of prohockey yet. Also, apparent Lecavalier was ok playing right wing when he was interviewed by Boston.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:09 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I can appreciate that but junior forward positions should be taken with a grain of salt. Gagne was a center but played LW, Giroux was a RW, but plays center. I wouldn't say Laughton is best at center when he hasn't played a single minute of prohockey yet. Also, apparent Lecavalier was ok playing right wing when he was interviewed by Boston.
Laughton has played minutes of pro hockey

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Hopefully no-one moved.

Schenn will play LW, he is talented enough to transition, and in the AHL last year looked great when he was playing wing with Couts.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

It's much easier to move a C to the wing than it is to move a wing to C.

Countless centers have made the transition to wing, few wingers have made the transition to center.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Blaaah

vCash: 740
What are the odds Coburn and Couturier are packaged.

Blaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaah View Post
Depends on the return and it better be huge.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaaah View Post
Almost zero.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:53 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I don't want any of the centers traded. Giroux/Vinny/Couturier/Laughton would be excellent down the middle and if there is an injury Schenn can fill in. It is better to have more centers than not enough.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
DrHamburg

Most here are being very short sighted. I think most people need to understand as of now, Giroux, Vinny, Couts are the 1,2,3 centers. Schenn is going to move to the wing. I don't think Homer is crazy enough to sign Vinny to trade away 2 of his prized centers (he wouldn't even move them for Shea). I wouldn't mind giving Laughton more time to develop before he is called up, even if its a few months into the season so he doesn't have to deal with the long grind of the NHL season. As people have said, there is always injuries, Vinny always gets banged up a bit, Schenn and Laughton will have plenty of chances to play in the top 9. Lets not get crazy.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Most here are being very short sighted. I think most people need to understand as of now, Giroux, Vinny, Couts are the 1,2,3 centers. Schenn is going to move to the wing. I don't think Homer is crazy enough to sign Vinny to trade away 2 of his prized centers (he wouldn't even move them for Shea). I wouldn't mind giving Laughton more time to develop before he is called up, even if its a few months into the season so he doesn't have to deal with the long grind of the NHL season. As people have said, there is always injuries, Vinny always gets banged up a bit, Schenn and Laughton will have plenty of chances to play in the top 9. Lets not get crazy.
Pretty sure Laughton has to be in either the nhl or back to juniors.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote