HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VIII

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
I think if the term is reasonable, Montreal will go hard after Iginla. He fills a need at right wing and helps address Montreal's size issue on the wings. Whether he wants to sign here is another question.

Beyond that, I wouldn't go after anyone besides a Hendricks-type of 4th liner. Scuderi would be nice, but Montreal shouldn't get into any bidding wars.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:36 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
I think if the term is reasonable, Montreal will go hard after Iginla. He fills a need at right wing and helps address Montreal's size issue on the wings. Whether he wants to sign here is another question.

Beyond that, I wouldn't go after anyone besides a Hendricks-type of 4th liner. Scuderi would be nice, but Montreal shouldn't get into any bidding wars.
iginla is done.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
iginla is done.
I don't think he's done and according to Pens fans he wasn't used properly by Bylsma from the day they got him. Besides the pp he never even played with Crosby which was a reason they picked him up

I wouldn't mind but the problem is I wouldn't go more then 2 years and I doubt at this age that's what he wants. He had good playoffs before the Bruins series and they all sucked

Old
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
After thinking about it, I'd be ok with Briere if it's a 1 or 2 year contract. Zero interest in over 2 years though.

He could be useful on a line with Galchenyuk and Eller since they both have size and amazing passing abilities, he could really flourish with them I believe.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:53 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
iginla is done.
I would take him over Vinny every time.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:54 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
iginla is done.
still one of the greatest team player in the league, and not even close from done

Old
07-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
iginla is done.
I don't think so.

If the Habs are seeking help with scoring goals in their top six, Iginla could be an option. If they are seeking help with scoring goals in their top six AND adding grit, Iginla is NOT an option. Iginla is not what he used to be. He can't battle as hard as he used to, he doesn't win many battles in corners and he's not nearly as physical. Yes, he's a leader on and off the ice and he can provide offense given he is placed with the right linemates, but don't expect him to bring physicality and grit as well.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:55 AM
That Habs Fan
True Contenders.

vCash: 400
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Iginla
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen
Dumont
Blunden

Hainsey-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Drewiske
Bouillon

where do I sign?

Old
07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
iginla is done.
Go look up his last 2 season and then go read the Lecavalier thread. Iginla has more left in the tank than VL.

Last 2 years:

Iginla(36)
126 GP(reg) 46-54-100
15GP(pla) 4-8-12
Missed 4 games.

VL(33)
103 GP 32-49-81

Missed 27 games.

Plus Iginla is more likely to sign for 2-3 years instead of 5. I would gladly take him at 3 years and 14-15 mil.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Diaz Emelin Markov Subban Gorges are legit top 4 guys. The others are #5-6 but you need those too.

I wouldn't mind another #5-6 like Fistric or Komisarek on a short term deal so Beaulieu and Tinordi start AHL.
IMO Markov and Emelin are arguably top 4 dman, but the rest is just too weak to sustain a role in the top 4 come playoffs time. Gorges would be the 4th/5th dman, and Diaz a bottom pairing offensive d.

We need a top pairing dman to play with Subban and push everyone down the depth chart. Another bottom pairing dman would just saturate that part of the team and not fix the issue at the top.

Edit: Im not including Subban in there cause we all know he's our #1.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 07-03-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUHeffToBMad View Post
IMO Markov and Emelin are arguably top 4 dman, but the rest is just too weak to sustain a role in the top 4 come playoffs time. Gorges would be the 4th/5th dman, and Diaz a bottom pairing offensive d.

We need a top pairing dman to play with Subban and push everyone down the depth chart. Another bottom pairing dman would just saturate that part of the team and not fix the issue at the top.
The key you mention here is "come playoff time".

I personally believes Tinordi will be ready for a bottom pairing come playoff time. His development has been strong and steady. A full NHL season is enough to make him a valuable Top-4.

Maybe not so much at the BEGINNING of the season, but you DID said "come playoff time"

Old
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
The key you mention here is "come playoff time".

I personally believes Tinordi will be ready for a bottom pairing come playoff time. His development has been strong and steady. A full NHL season is enough to make him a valuable Top-4.

Maybe not so much at the BEGINNING of the season, but you DID said "come playoff time"
That remains to be seen, it's not a good idea to build the defence based on Tinordi's potential break out.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post

So if they dont land Iginla, youre saying MB should stand pat and sign 4 th liners? Terrible thinking. The tought of Having Gionta, Desharnais and Gallagher in the Habs top 6 is nightmarish. Gallagher is the only one that deserves it at the moment. The Habs are too small at the skilled position. By trade of FA , Bergevin must fill this need. Enough with the 4th liners. THey have plenty of those

Old
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
With Pacioretty's contract and production, it would require quite an offer to move him. Usually guys like him have a 5.5-6 mil cap hit.
Only guy I could think of to move Patches for and be an upgrade is Evander Kane. We would have to add in, but I dont think a lot more.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Dagistitsyn

I'd be MUCH happier about getting Iggy than if we hadda got Vinny..

but I don't even think Montreal is on his radar.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

If Gorges wasn't a top 4 guy he wouldn't be playing 20+ minutes facing tough opposition with good +- numbers. I'm not a big fan of the +- stat but when you face top lines and end up in the + on poor(2011-12 Habs) teams you HAVE to be doing a lot right. Gorges shouldn't be a #2 but he is very solid as a #3-4 guy. He's as good as what teams in the Final 4 had on their 2nd pair.

Diaz, because of his injury, he had very good production early and a few rougher patches late, but overall his production was solidly in the top 4 calibre of play.

I agree we could use a #2 guy but those guys don't grow on trees and are hard to acquire. One possible solution is Markov taking another step forward in his recovery from all the injuries. I think he can be better than he was last year, plus a longer season with more off days will only help him physically.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
sheed36

I think the Habs should sign Matt Cooke for a year just to piss off both Bruin and Sens fans..

Old
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't think he's done and according to Pens fans he wasn't used properly by Bylsma from the day they got him. Besides the pp he never even played with Crosby which was a reason they picked him up

I wouldn't mind but the problem is I wouldn't go more then 2 years and I doubt at this age that's what he wants. He had good playoffs before the Bruins series and they all sucked
He is done. I have tickets in Calgary. He is not what we need. We need to get toughness elsewhere and trade a few small players (DD, Gionta). Make our top 9 bigger and faster and our fourth line tougher.

Add Kyle Clifford, McGrattan, Lapierre, Stalberg.

Delete DD and Gionta.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

Gorges has already been demonstrably effective come playoff time in 2010 and he was noticeably missed in 2011. I'm not prepared to write him off based on a poorer than average past season. Just as I'm not ready to anoint Emelin a top-4 d-man come playoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
So if they dont land Iginla, youre saying MB should stand pat and sign 4 th liners? Terrible thinking. The tought of Having Gionta, Desharnais and Gallagher in the Habs top 6 is nightmarish. Gallagher is the only one that deserves it at the moment. The Habs are too small at the skilled position. By trade of FA , Bergevin must fill this need. Enough with the 4th liners. THey have plenty of those
Who do you propose they go after? Morrow is in worse shape than Iginla. Clowe is a terrible fit for this team and has been regressing badly for a few years. Horton has concussion problems and has massive contract demands and Clarkson will get stupid money. Who is out there that can effectively improve the size of our top 9? I don't like it any more than you do, but there just isn't anyone out there to fix the problem.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
Only guy I could think of to move Patches for and be an upgrade is Evander Kane. We would have to add in, but I dont think a lot more.
Why would Kane be an upgrade? I think you're getting a guy with character issues. Pacioretty is a real pro.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Not gonna lie, with Giroux a RFA in Philly, and with them being over the cap after signing Vinny. A real big part of me would love to give the gears to Philly and offer Giroux an offer sheet. Watching Philly squirm would be great, especially since they still don't have a goalie, and their defense has more holes than a golf course

Old
07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Or not..

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon
Beaulieu

What's the problem?
Size and Emelin not being back until December. No more Diaz and Bouillon please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Ribeiro would do wonders for our team in the short term. We never really replaced him since Gainey huffed that can of paint and traded him. He's a legitimate #1 centre in the league and he's better than Pleks as a point producer.

Anyway, he's not coming here so there's no point talking about it and Eller/Galchenyuk and grow into the role.
No he is not a legit #1 center. I would rather have DD thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peso View Post
The pool is lessen more and more by Friday.

I think we'd be lucky at this point if we got our hands on Dustin Penner. Not bad but not great.

I think players we might end up left with to bid on are:

Viktor Stalberg
Dustin Penner
Boyd Gordon
Ron Hainsey
Max Lapierre
Mark Fistric

Nothing major but depth players. I just don't see us making any "BIG" acquisitions.
I would love to have Penner....but Lappy the Yappy...oh hell no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
My Wishlist!!!

Matt Cullen
Vaclav Prospal
Brendan Morrow
Brian McGrattan
Rob Scuderi
Viktor Stallberg
Isn't he the one who called french people frogs ? Or was it just to Brisebois ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
How was last season? We finished 2nd in the conference and we have 2 1st round picks that could be ready next season. When healthy, our D core is fine, it's our offense that needs an influx of talent and toughness.
The playoffs were horrid, we were physically dominated as per usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Well, Emelin back and Tinordi in full time and more experience IS an improvement, you know.
Emelin only in December, thats a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
My List:

[ Defense ]
Steve Eminger
Andrew Alberts
Marc Fistric
Rob Scuderi

[ Forwards ]
Boyd Gordon
Jerome Iginla
David Clarkson
Brad Richardson
Maxim Lapierre
Please no. Iggy yes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
I would love to see Coburn with the Habs. Big, tough, plays a lot of minutes, signed for a couple more years. I would offer Diaz +++ for Coburn, but would be willing to part with Beaulieu.

Ryan Clowe also fills a big need up front. Concussion history is scary but I would take the chance. His play with the Rangers was more in line with his history than the goose egg he put up in SJ. Hopefully $4M a season would get it done.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) /David Desharnais ($3.500m) /Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Ryane Clowe ($4.000m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.722m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
P.K. Subban ($2.875m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
Francis Bouillon ($1.500m) / Davis Drewiske ($0.638m)
GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,970,208; BONUSES: $2,697,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,027,292
Small and weak first two lines. We would be lucky to make the playoffs with a full 82 game season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Iginla
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen
Dumont
Blunden

Hainsey-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Drewiske
Bouillon

where do I sign?
First line i like alot. Second line meh.... Hainsey is not a #2 defenseman. And scratch Emelin until December. Diaz please him and Bouillon no more.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I think the Habs should sign Matt Cooke for a year just to piss off both Bruin and Sens fans..
I hate his guts, but I could go for Cooke. Talk about a prime agitator.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Even better, to piss off their players, I could care less about the fans.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Marc-E-

Andrew Walker @fan960walker 1h

Have been told that there are four teams of note which Iginla considers landing spots. #Rangers #Penguins #Kings #Canucks

Closed Thread