HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 09:50 PM
patthebest

vCash: 500
How good of a fighter is he? Could he be a Heavyweight?

Old
07-02-2013, 09:52 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
How the hell do you know if he will be able to play at the NHL level? You drove from Halifax to Erie each week to scout him for an NHL club? What do you truly know about Crisp other than offering a hasty, half-assed opinion? Seriously?

Really wish all of the "experts" on here would tone it down a bit. Highly ingratiating to read all of these fearless predictions on players they know nothing about.
Hehehe. May I kiss you?

Old
07-02-2013, 09:53 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Crispy Cream

Because he'll cream you in a fight

Old
07-02-2013, 09:54 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
Possibly, and a facepuncher with some skill...

Old
07-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Beendair Donedat

Hope he turns out for the Habs. We can use any of the big tough players that we can get on this squad full of smurfs and cream puffs.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Pax Macioretty

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Possibly, and a facepuncher with some skill...
He needs to add more weight, he has a good base, but just like Tinordi, being tall yet skinny is a big disadvantage cause the smaller, bulkier fighters just pull you around which way they please. Being a 5'9 210 pound man, I know.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:06 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
:

He needs to add more weight, he has a good base, but just like Tinordi, being tall yet skinny is a big disadvantage cause the smaller, bulkier fighters just pull you around which way they please. Being a 5'9 210 pound man, I know.
Isn't Crisp a ripped 225lbs?

Old
07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by patthebest View Post
Not one of the best in the OHL this passed year.

Pretty good, not great.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
How the hell do you know if he will be able to play at the NHL level? You drove from Halifax to Erie each week to scout him for an NHL club? What do you truly know about Crisp other than offering a hasty, half-assed opinion? Seriously?

Really wish all of the "experts" on here would tone it down a bit. Highly ingratiating to read all of these fearless predictions on players they know nothing about.
Almost as bad as the self righteous flunkies who have "inside" info and have to bootlick their superiors on a public forum. Opinions differ here McCagg, yours is certainly no better or important than anyone else posting.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Almost as bad as the self righteous flunkies who have "inside" info and have to bootlick their superiors on a public forum. Opinions differ here McCagg, yours is certainly no better or important than anyone else posting.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Top Corner2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
While I'm surprised at how he went, I'm not surprised he was drafted.

Lost practically all of his sophomore year to an injury and played well this year (all things considered). He plays a pro type game in the sense that he's big and can score in close. Loves to drop the mitts and play a crash and bang style too. Skating needs to improve. Puck carrying ability could also use work too. But the potential for him to develop into a useful NHL player is there.
Hey there Brock! Nice comment...I saw your write up on him also. Great to hear an opinion from someone who scout the OHL.

I'm sure the habs saw something they could work with. I hope he has a solid year next year!

Old
07-03-2013, 12:29 AM
calder candidate

Regardless of how you what to rationalise this, it was a bad pick, not because of the player him self but because of where he was selected.

I really hope he become a serviceable NHL player, I'll cheer him on and follow him but I still think he was pick too early...

Old
07-03-2013, 12:32 AM
TT1

hopefully we'll end up with a mini neil one day
or should i say a big neil

Old
07-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Grant McCagg

I was talking to a crossover scout yesterday who noted that Crisp is one tough SOB. Mentioned that he's not a very good skater, but was surprised when I told him that Crisp scored 22 goals. Obviously he was flying under teams' radars as Erie ended up not having any other guys to scout at year's end with Harper and Betz falling off the map.

The Habs had Crisp at their mini combine, and according to Trevor he "really surprised us" in the skating department. I guess he's come a long way in that regard. It should also be noted that the Habs put an emphasis on skating in the offseason, and have one of the best skating teachers in the business in Paul Lawson.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I was talking to a crossover scout yesterday who noted that Crisp is one tough SOB. Mentioned that he's not a very good skater, but was surprised when I told him that Crisp scored 22 goals. Obviously he was flying under teams' radars as Erie ended up not having any other guys to scout at year's end with Harper and Betz falling off the map.

The Habs had Crisp at their mini combine, and according to Trevor he "really surprised us" in the skating department. I guess he's come a long way in that regard. It should also be noted that the Habs put an emphasis on skating in the offseason, and have one of the best skating teachers in the business in Paul Lawson.
Thanks for the info Grant!! I still believe Crisp is going to be a pleasant surprise for the Habs as an effective 4th line Center.

Old
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Draft

Quote:

Great to hear! From personal experience, if you've never had the chance or put the time into improving your explosiveness, vertical or fast-twitch muscles in your legs, there is HUGE room for improvement. I know most young players I played with put an emphasis on strengthening their bodies and putting on mass and forget to work on conditioning a lot of specific muscle areas that help improve your overall speed and agility. He's got room to grow and Paul Lawson will help him with that.

Might be a steal! It's nice to see the Habs picking up on these under-the-radar type guys.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
bud12

season 2010-2011

Old
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
bud12

season 2012-2013

Old
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
FisherKing

Quote:

Good stuff Grant. Feeling much better about this pick although, ideally, I still would have felt more comfortable if he had been picked by the Habs a bit later, and although I THINK he would have been available for a later pick, how would I (or anyone) know? If he ends up playing with the Habs and adding some size and legitimate toughness (which it seems he would) then it's a good pick regardless. Thanks for the additional info.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Grant McCagg

I've been informed that Patrick Kelly is now the team's skating coach.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
I've been informed that Patrick Kelly is now the team's skating coach.
Good news?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
dont know if I should laugh or be frightened. Maybe both

Old
07-03-2013, 10:23 AM
windycity

Quote:

that is good to hear and what the hell, it was 71st overall

Just curious, what's a "crossover scout"? I'm guessing someone who covers more than one league/level?

Old
07-03-2013, 11:23 AM
PricePkPatch

Not bad at fighting. Prust 2.0?

He needs to go at Prust Summer Camp to hone his.. skills.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
that is good to hear and what the hell, it was 71st overall

Just curious, what's a "crossover scout"? I'm guessing someone who covers more than one league/level?
Usually it's a guy who scouts a little bit everywhere so they can be used as a reference when ranking players from a bunch of leagues.

Closed Thread