HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

[NYR/MTL] Christian Thomas for Danny Kristo

Old
07-03-2013, 07:37 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500
When I found out about the trade I was initially of the "meh trade" mindset and posted as much.

I've had some time to think about it and I am starting to like this trade more and more.

I've always been a fan of the college product. I believe they come to the pros with a much better grasp of the two way game. A better understanding of the game itself as they practice more than they play. For the most part the kids that come out of college are better prepared to step onto a team and play a more meaningful role.

We saw this with Stepan, McDonagh and Hagelin.

I have no doubt that we will see more of the same with Kristo.

He's coming from one of the better programs in the nation. He led his team in scoring last season and was 2nd the year before.

I am pretty excited about the acquisition.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
NYR Viper

Very excited to see what he can do. This team lacks guys who want the puck on their stick. Kristo loves it. He is a RWer. The Rangers need a 3RW. He has speed and is pretty tenacious on the forecheck. He will fit right in.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

Like others have said, ties in with the Zuc signing and him being an easier fit right away with Hags/Cali down for the start.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:03 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Can we start calling Danny Kristo "the Count" or "Monte".

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Levitate

Don't really know much about Kristo at this point but realistically it's probably trading two guys who are longshots to be impact players in the NHL, soooo, ok

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:27 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
College Rent-a-cops busting Kristo for bringing beer to a party will not impact the way he passes the puck in the AHL or NHL.
Got a solid chuckle out of this.

07-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Sounds like exactly the kind of guy we'd want to have playing on our third line

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Don't really know much about Kristo at this point but realistically it's probably trading two guys who are longshots to be impact players in the NHL, soooo, ok
Yeah, I'm wondering if Kristo will even get a cup of coffee this season. Seems like he needs a good stretch in CT.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering if Kristo will even get a cup of coffee this season. Seems like he needs a good stretch in CT.
I think he replicates what Hagelin did. 1/2 season in the AHL, then up to the Rangers.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:03 AM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

I liked Kristo when he played on the WJC team with Stepan and Kreider back in 2010. Don't know what he's capable of at the pro game, but the same could be said about Thomas.

The fact that he's a "headcase" because he partied in college is completely idiotic. How out of touch with society can some of the people on this board be if they think a college kid getting caught drinking is a serious issue?

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I liked Kristo when he played on the WJC team with Stepan and Kreider back in 2010. Don't know what he's capable of at the pro game, but the same could be said about Thomas.

The fact that he's a "headcase" because he partied in college is completely idiotic. How out of touch with society can some of the people on this board be if they think a college kid getting caught drinking is a serious issue?
I'd be more concerned if he didn't drink in college, haha.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
TrueBlue9

dont know about his character but I was very impressed by him in the WJCs. If the skill level is comparable to Thomas then you have to like this trade due to the increase in size and familiarity with current Rangers

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
McRanger

I wanted to ring Kristo's neck during the 2010 WJC. That was one of the more frustrating and irritating performances I have ever watched. Though it might have been surpassed by Kyle Palmieri the next year.

But that was a long time ago. I love NoDak's program and the little that I saw of him was a vast improvement.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Even swap, Kristo might be a little bit more of a better fit for the Rangers.

But part of me feels like the Rangers could have included Thomas in another deal to get some real depth for the NHL club, if they were souring on him.

A lot of minor moves lately, Rangers are busy.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Even swap, Kristo might be a little bit more of a better fit for the Rangers.

But part of me feels like the Rangers could have included Thomas in another deal to get some real depth for the NHL club, if they were souring on him.

A lot of minor moves lately, Rangers are busy.
Busy, yes, but whats the plan for the bottom 6? Hedging the bets again? The stiffs from last season vs. kids with little to no NHL experience (some dont even have NA experience)? What happens if/when neither of those types of players are capable of answering the bell?

Granted, theres still time for this offseason to come into focus, but Im asking for a clear commitment to a direction - given Sather's track record, I'd expect more of this unfocused meandering.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Busy, yes, but whats the plan for the bottom 6?
But, but, but there's so much depth and fourth liners are a dime a dozen. Or so I've read.

07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
kovazub94

Thomas was our top 5 / top 6 prospect. What was Kristo ranking in terms of his standing among Montreal's prospects?

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:43 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
well if he is good enough defensively to play in the bottom 6, he might be a top candidate to be one of the guys that fills in for cally and hags to start the year...so he might get that cup of coffee to start the year and then how he plays that first month or so will determine if he stays or not.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
But, but, but there's so much depth and fourth liners are a dime a dozen. Or so I've read.
Thats right. A bunch of names = depth.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Busy, yes, but whats the plan for the bottom 6? Hedging the bets again? The stiffs from last season vs. kids with little to no NHL experience (some dont even have NA experience)? What happens if/when neither of those types of players are capable of answering the bell?

Granted, theres still time for this offseason to come into focus, but Im asking for a clear commitment to a direction - given Sather's track record, I'd expect more of this unfocused meandering.
Assuming Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin, and MZA are in the top 9...

That leaves Boyle, Dorsett, and Asham (and maybe Pyatt) to round out the bottom 6 with one or two spots for Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Kristo or whoever else earns it.

Is that setup really a problem?

Old
07-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Mikos87

I like this deal. Connections to McD, Step, and Kreider from WJCs. Played great in college, pro ready physically, and from the looks of it, can skate. I like this deal a lot.

Rangers get NHL minutes in the near future, and give Thomas a chance on an org that likes smaller players.

Rangers win out unless Thomas becomes a serious scorer, and I liked the hustle and energy Thomas brought, but the Rangers hauled in some serious value for Thomas in a prospect for prospect deal. I think it gotten to the point this season that Thomas was two years away maybe, and thus his trade value in a package was low, but that's just my assumption.

Kristo is better gifted physically, can fill a role, looks and sounds like he's got a shot that can score, is grittier, more effective for this upcoming season than Thomas would have been.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Assuming Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin, and MZA are in the top 9...

That leaves Boyle, Dorsett, and Asham (and maybe Pyatt) to round out the bottom 6 with one or two spots for Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Kristo or whoever else earns it.

If your goal is to compete for a championship, yes.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
McRanger

Quote:
If your goal is to compete for a championship, yes.
Sorry but that's complete nonsense.

Unless Lindberg shows he is ready right away (I think we will, but starts in the A anyway) Boyle will center the 4th line. He will be flanked by Asham and whichever young player makes the team. Or Lindberg makes the team and Boyle plays the wing with Asham. Or Kreider and Miller play top 9 and the 4th line is Boyle, Dorsett and Asham.

You really think the team can't assemble a line to compete with the likes of Ryan Carter, Stephen Gionta and Steve Bernier? Or the Merlot line?

This recent obsession with the 4th line is nonsensical. 4th line success is about chemistry and maximizing the strengths of the line in the extremely limited ice time they receive.

We didn't lose in the regular season because of our 4th line. We didn't lose in the playoffs because of our 4th line. It would be a stretch to say that was in top 20 reasons.

The team as a whole looked like an un=coached disaster for huge stretches of last season and the majority of the playoffs. Fix that and the 4th line wont be an issue.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post

Good chance a guy like Kristo needs some time in the AHL as well, and Lindberg and Fast might need some as well.

The other good thing about these types of situations is that it lets you move guys up and down the lineup a bit without sacrificing skill in some areas. Moving Fast or Kristo up to the 2nd line isn't like moving Powe up to the 2nd line.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
SPG

I really like this trade.

I find it hilarious that some people are whining about it and then flat out admit they know nothing about Kristo.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote