HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion (Part II)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
  #551
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,465
vCash: 500
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 03:43 PM
  #552
KittysGotClaws
We See Red
 
KittysGotClaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N of BB&T
Country: United States
Posts: 1,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.
Canada is always my biggest concern, regardless of the ice. The lineup is just stacked from top to bottom, although goaltending will (hopefully for our sake) be their downfall. Sweden's roster looks incredibly balanced, and they're absolutely a contender to win it all. Russia has a great looking squad, and has the home ice, but I don't see them winning it all. Teams like Finland and even Switzerland will make things difficult. But I think we've got the second or third best team on paper, that might have the right balance to win it all.

KittysGotClaws is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 03:45 PM
  #553
sb24
Registered User
 
sb24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Navajo country
Country: United States
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
How is Stepan not our best center? Leads all other centers in time on ice buy more then a min a game. was a +25 last year, more then 20 better then anyone else in the running. His 44 points tops all other by 13. Other then in the face off circle he seems to be the clear best. And I understand there is more to hockey then the numbers, but this is very clear.

sb24 is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
  #554
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
good to see Sacco land back on his feet...solid showing at the WC will do that for you..

Sacco and Rolston coaches for Buffalo...they picked some US kids as well at the draft..good for them!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  #555
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 9,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.
Sweden to me is a tweener right now.

They have some very solid vets, but their star players are getting older and many of their young guns simply arent ready yet.

Alfredsson, Zetterberg, Sedin x 2, and Franzen aren't getting any younger. These guys have carried the torch for some time. Backstrom, Steen, Eriksson, and Berglund are all vets now who will be expected to carry more of the load.

The issue for Sweden is if their kids like : Zibanejad, Silfverberg, Landeskog, Hedman, Larsson, etc will be ready to step up. If some of these kids can take that next step this coming season then yes Sweden will be a top contender...if they are still another year or two away from making an impact, Sweden could be a middle of the road team. They have solid defense and goaltending, but they could have trouble scoring overall.

I really do like Sweden's defense as a mobile and talented group. They will be tough to play against no doubt about it. I cant wait to see how everything shakes out once again.

AmericanDream is offline  
Old
07-02-2013, 10:24 PM
  #556
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I'm curious who our chief competition is going to be? Sweden? Russia? I have a feeling Russia will crumble under the pressure, but goal out they are looking better than in 2010. Sweden will also be very solid.
All of them. Even the Finns, Czechs and Slovaks will be very tough outs.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM
  #557
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Dan Bylsma officially announced as the head coach today. Congrats to the coach and best wishes on leading our team!

@chrismpeters: Johannson: USA Hockey orientation camp will be held August 25-29 at Kettler in Washington, D.C.

@chrismpeters: David Poile says the core of 2010's team will be back mostly, with some new-style players that can contribute on the big ice.
What a freaking joke. The best team the US has ever sent to the Olympic and we pick the worst possible coach. This frustrates me to no end

PhillyBluesFan is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:50 AM
  #558
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
What a freaking joke. The best team the US has ever sent to the Olympic and we pick the worst possible coach. This frustrates me to no end
This is rather funny actually. How does this team stack up to the hotel-thrashing one of 1998?

#35 Mike Richter
#34 John Vanbiesbrouck

#34 Bryan Berard
#3 Keith Carney
#7 Chris Chelios
#2 Derian Hatcher
#4 Kevin Hatcher
#2 Brian Leetch
#27 Mathieu Schneider
#20 Gary Suter

#10 Tony Amonte
#18 Adam Deadmarsh
#13 Bill Guerin
#16 Brett Hull
#16 Pat LaFontaine
#15 Jamie Langenbrunner
#10 John LeClair
#9 Mike Modano
#29 Joel Otto
#97 Jeremy Roenick
#7 Keith Tkachuk
#19 Doug Weight

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
  #559
651*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Capital of MN 651
Country: United States
Posts: 2,601
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
This is rather funny actually. How does this team stack up to the hotel-thrashing one of 1998?

#35 Mike Richter
#34 John Vanbiesbrouck

#34 Bryan Berard
#3 Keith Carney
#7 Chris Chelios
#2 Derian Hatcher
#4 Kevin Hatcher
#2 Brian Leetch
#27 Mathieu Schneider
#20 Gary Suter

#10 Tony Amonte
#18 Adam Deadmarsh
#13 Bill Guerin
#16 Brett Hull
#16 Pat LaFontaine
#15 Jamie Langenbrunner
#10 John LeClair
#9 Mike Modano
#29 Joel Otto
#97 Jeremy Roenick
#7 Keith Tkachuk
#19 Doug Weight
The Dream Team. That team was so sickness. Still can't believe Herb only brought them to Silver.

651* is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:11 AM
  #560
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
The Dream Team. That team was so sickness. Still can't believe Herb only brought them to Silver.
You're thinking of the '02 team. The team listed is the '98 team that stunk it up in Nagano and trashed their hotel rooms. Awesome looking roster and certainly the biggest disappointment amongst US best on best teams in my eyes. It's a reminder that even an awesome group of players can have a bad tournament.

cagney is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:18 AM
  #561
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
All of them. Even the Finns, Czechs and Slovaks will be very tough outs.
Agreed, although I think the U.S. brass seems to have the right mindset for team construction. I'll be interested to see how the Canadian side is constructed. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Torino-like flop out of the them-especially if they take a "best NHL players" approach with no eye for skating, etc.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:38 AM
  #562
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
You're thinking of the '02 team. The team listed is the '98 team that stunk it up in Nagano and trashed their hotel rooms. Awesome looking roster and certainly the biggest disappointment amongst US best on best teams in my eyes. It's a reminder that even an awesome group of players can have a bad tournament.
Yes and that is important to remember for all US-fans going into Sochi. While i do agree that you can field a very competitive squad and a better one than last time, i believe the 2010 edition perhaps outdid themselves a little bit. While Canada obviously will go into the tourney the favourite like most times, it's hard to really separate a fiew teams after that.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
  #563
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Yes and that is important to remember for all US-fans going into Sochi. While i do agree that you can field a very competitive squad and a better one than last time, i believe the 2010 edition perhaps outdid themselves a little bit. While Canada obviously will go into the tourney the favourite like most times, it's hard to really separate a fiew teams after that.
Maybe. The U.S. was consistently good throughout the tourney. Sure, Miller was very good, but the rest of the team came together nicely. I expect more of the same with an uptick in skating and puck-moving ability.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 11:18 AM
  #564
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
What a freaking joke. The best team the US has ever sent to the Olympic and we pick the worst possible coach. This frustrates me to no end
I'm afraid you left your repeat button on. Please find a new shtick.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
  #565
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough
 
SimplySensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantiubraun View Post
US team looks scary good, easily number 4 or even tied for second with Sweden and Russia. Here are some teams I wrote down yesterday night:

a)

James Van Riemsdyk - Paul Statsny - Phil Kessel
Zach Parise- Joe Pavelski - Patrick Kane
Max Pacioretty - Ryan Kesler - Ryan Callahan
Ryan Carter - David Backes - Dustin Brown
Derek Stepan

Ryan Suter - Keith Yandle
Ryan McDonagh - Jack Johnsson
Paul Martin - Brooks Orpik
Kevin Shattenkirk

Jonathan Quick
Ryan Miller
Craig Andersson

PP1
James Van Riemsdyk - Paul Statsny - Phil Kessel
Jack Jonsson - Paul Martin
PP2
Zach Parise - Joe Pavelski - Patrick Kane
Ryan Suter - Keith Yandle
PK1
Ryan Kesler - Ryan Callahan
Ryan McDonagh - Brooks Orpik
PK2
David Backes - Dustin Brown
Ryan Suter - Keith Yandle

b)

Zach Parise - Derek Stepan - Phil Kessel
Max Pacioretty - Paul Stastny - Patrick Kane
Joe Pavelski - Ryan Kesler- Jason Pominville
Ryan Callahan - David Backes - Dustin Brown
James Van Riemsdyk

Ryan Suter - Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan McDonagh - Paul Martin
Jack Johnson - Zach Bogosian
Keith Yandle

Jonathan Quick
Craig Andersson
Cory Scheider

PP1
Max Pacioretty - Derek Stepan - Phil Kessel
Jack Johnsson - Jason Pominville
PP2
Zach Parise - Paul Stastny - Patrick Kane
Ryan Suter - Ryan Kesler
PK1
Ryan Callahan - David Backes
Ryan Suter - Zach Bogosian
PK2
Joe Pavelski - Dustin Brown
Ryan McDonagh - Paul Martin

It took some time to think of two different teams for all five countries; Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia, USA..
John Carlson... Caps #1 dman for 3 years... Missing. Makes sense.

SimplySensational is offline  
Old
07-03-2013, 09:59 PM
  #566
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,272
vCash: 500
I don't see any reason Ryan Carter should make the team. But otherwise nice lineups.

King Forsberg is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 09:31 AM
  #567
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Happy 4th of July to all my American friends. Lets hope we take no prisoners in the gold medal game 7 months from now.

Mr Writer is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 12:25 PM
  #568
waldo17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24 View Post
How is Stepan not our best center? Leads all other centers in time on ice buy more then a min a game. was a +25 last year, more then 20 better then anyone else in the running. His 44 points tops all other by 13. Other then in the face off circle he seems to be the clear best. And I understand there is more to hockey then the numbers, but this is very clear.
Especially when people are inserting freaking Paul Statsny ahead him, damn joke.

waldo17 is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:53 PM
  #569
Darth Yoda
Registered User
 
Darth Yoda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Grovebranch's Crease
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo17 View Post
Especially when people are inserting freaking Paul Statsny ahead him, damn joke.
His international resumé is rock solid though after joining the WC this year. It will be hard for management to overlook him for the OG.

Darth Yoda is offline  
Old
07-04-2013, 03:56 PM
  #570
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24 View Post
How is Stepan not our best center? Leads all other centers in time on ice buy more then a min a game. was a +25 last year, more then 20 better then anyone else in the running. His 44 points tops all other by 13. Other then in the face off circle he seems to be the clear best. And I understand there is more to hockey then the numbers, but this is very clear.
It's not really about "best" but about fit. And I'm not saying Stepan isn't a good fit (he is) or won't be there (barring a disastrous start to the 2013-2014 season there's no justification to leave him behind) but it's not a lock that he's a top center on this team just because he had a great season. But I don't see the justification for those leaving him off of their rosters at this point, especially since it's likely they take 5 centers anyway.

The face-off issue is a big one though, especially when the other centers in contention are all pretty good at the dot. He's gradually improving every year but he needs to take another big step this upcoming season. They could always put Stepan on a line with another center with one of them playing wing as a precaution. If they're worried about sheltering him for face-offs it could bump him off the two top lines where they may not want to put a natural center on the wing and take a spot from a top six winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo17 View Post
Especially when people are inserting freaking Paul Statsny ahead him, damn joke.
Stastny had a down year for the Avalanche but he always answers the call for Team USA and has been fantastic in the last two World Championships on the big ice. This is about more than just NHL performance from 2012-2013.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 12:15 AM
  #571
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,916
vCash: 500
The roster I'd put together today. It's got the potential to differ pretty significantly by the end of the year, especially the defense, which looks to be a pretty volatile group.

Parise (A) - Stepan - Kane
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kessel
Pominville - Kesler - Brown (A)
JVR - Backes - Callahan
Wheeler

(Stastny, Oshie, Legwand the last 3 cut)

Suter (C) - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Orpik
JJ

(Gleason, Faulk, Martin, Bogosian)

Quick
Howard
Miller

(Thomas, Schneider, Anderson)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 11:27 PM
  #572
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Paris
Country: Qatar
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The roster I'd put together today. It's got the potential to differ pretty significantly by the end of the year, especially the defense, which looks to be a pretty volatile group.

Parise (A) - Stepan - Kane
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kessel
Pominville - Kesler - Brown (A)
JVR - Backes - Callahan
Wheeler

(Stastny, Oshie, Legwand the last 3 cut)

Suter (C) - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Orpik
JJ

(Gleason, Faulk, Martin, Bogosian)

Quick
Howard
Miller

(Thomas, Schneider, Anderson)
No way Orpik makes it over Bogo or Faulk

dwanmaster* is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
  #573
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Agreed, although I think the U.S. brass seems to have the right mindset for team construction. I'll be interested to see how the Canadian side is constructed. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Torino-like flop out of the them-especially if they take a "best NHL players" approach with no eye for skating, etc.
I doubt they'll do anything other than try and copy the 2010 team construction.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 11:30 AM
  #574
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The roster I'd put together today. It's got the potential to differ pretty significantly by the end of the year, especially the defense, which looks to be a pretty volatile group.

Parise (A) - Stepan - Kane
Pacioretty - Pavelski - Kessel
Pominville - Kesler - Brown (A)
JVR - Backes - Callahan
Wheeler

(Stastny, Oshie, Legwand the last 3 cut)

Suter (C) - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Orpik
JJ

(Gleason, Faulk, Martin, Bogosian)

Quick
Howard
Miller

(Thomas, Schneider, Anderson)
Parise is getting that "C" no matter what

Poms is a dual citizen of Canada. About as much hope he makes it as Vanek lol. Bobby Ryan will though

BigT2002 is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
  #575
BigT2002
Registered User
 
BigT2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: some other continent
Country: United States
Posts: 12,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
This is rather funny actually. How does this team stack up to the hotel-thrashing one of 1998?

#35 Mike Richter
#34 John Vanbiesbrouck

#34 Bryan Berard
#3 Keith Carney
#7 Chris Chelios
#2 Derian Hatcher
#4 Kevin Hatcher
#2 Brian Leetch
#27 Mathieu Schneider
#20 Gary Suter

#10 Tony Amonte
#18 Adam Deadmarsh
#13 Bill Guerin
#16 Brett Hull
#16 Pat LaFontaine
#15 Jamie Langenbrunner
#10 John LeClair
#9 Mike Modano
#29 Joel Otto
#97 Jeremy Roenick
#7 Keith Tkachuk
#19 Doug Weight
Sadly 2006 was the worst team ever assembled. Does say how far the development has come though since then!

BigT2002 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.