HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Assistant Coaches: Ulf Samuelsson, Scott Arniel, Dan Lacroix

Old
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
This is what I was thinking. Canucks fans should've spent a week watching our PP before their games started on the west coast if they think their PP was "terribad."
I did watch quite a bit of Rangers games last season and understand that your guys' PP was pretty terrible as well. For us, our power play was producing to start the season. However, teams began keying in on how to stop our powerplay from watching us in the playoffs against the Bruins and LA. That, plus Kesler's extended absence due to injury, resulted in a truly terrible powerplay where we went 0 for 36 at some point in the season. Apparently Newell Brown had some suggestions for changes but they weren't implemented and AV instead opted to put Daniel on the point (). Had this been a full season, I'm sure we would've finished below you guys.

But as I said in my previous post. Overall, Newell Brown is a pretty good powerplay guy. It just depends on how AV plans to use his ideas.

Quote from Canucks Army article on Newell Brown and some of the changes he brought to our powerplay:
Quote:
Granted, Vancouver's power-play was effective before Newell Brown joined the coaching staff and began to run the special teams units prior to the 2010-11 season. Still, there can be no real question about his success - it was immediate and rather impressive. To that end, Newell Brown's tactical innovations were many: he loaded up the first unit installing Ryan Kesler with the Sedin twins. It was an effective adjustment.

Brown's power-play units also pioneered the "zone-entry drop pass", much to the chagrin of some Canucks fans. Sure the zone-entry drop pass was a Mike Babcock original but Newell Brown relied on it in a way no one previously had. Basically if the drop pass zone-entry were the Weekend Update desk on SNL, Mike Babcock was Chevy Chase to Newell Brown's Dennis Miller.

Brown also installed a more fluid power-play formation. It looks to me like the Canucks have, over the past two and a bit season, regularly and quickly rotated between an umbrella formation, a standard spread formation, and a 1-3-1 depending on puck location. The constant rotation and formation variety has served to confuse opposing penalty-kill units and goaltenders. Pretty much immediately the Canucks went from being a good power-play team to an excellent one.

In both of Newell Brown's complete seasons coaching the power-play, the Canucks generated shots at an "elite" rate with the man-advantage and were at or near the top of the league in total power-play goals scored and conversion rate. The power-play withstood the losses of some quality power-play personnel too without missing a beat as guys like Mikael Samuelsson and Christian Ehrhoff moved on without a dip in shot rate.
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/3/7/canu...ers-power-play

tc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
How many assistant coaches do we need?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
As many as it takes to figure out the PP.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
As many as Sather needs to fire before he finally gets to AV.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:04 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 1m
And asked for the ideal style of defensive play, Ulf Samuelsson says "No one screening the goalie, no one getting rebounds."
I am going to like this.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

vCash: 50
Hopefully Ulfie gets our D-men to play a little meaner and keep everyone away from Hank. They shouldn't be able to just stand in front of the net.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I am going to like this.
I agree with you...and Ulf!

Keep the shooting lanes clear, let Hank see everything, and nobody touches a rebound. The Ulf Samuelsson/Normand Rochefort style of defense.

Hank has to stop one shot only, keeping the pinball deflections to a minimum.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:37 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post

Keep the shooting lanes clear, let Hank see everything, and nobody touches a rebound. The Ulf Samuelsson/Normand Rochefort style of defense.

When you have the best goalie in the world, it makes total sense to play this style. So happy we are moving past the shot blocking Torts style. Completely ridiculous.

nevesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
When you have the best goalie in the world, it makes total sense to play this style. So happy we are moving past the shot blocking Torts style. Completely ridiculous.
Eh, I mean it makes sense for any team. You don't want opposing players screening your goalie and you don't want them getting to rebounds, no matter what defensive system you're trying to run.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Kershaw

Quote:

You do realize that having no defender in front of the net means the opposing forward can get in all alone on Lundqvist? That's worse than the shot blocking system.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
You do realize that having no defender in front of the net means the opposing forward can get in all alone on Lundqvist? That's worse than the shot blocking system.
You do realize that he was referring to not having opposing players in front of the net. Meaning the D clearing the crease, unlike what they had been doing the last 4 years.

Not that he didn't want defenceman there, more that he didn't want opposing players there (in front of Hank)

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
You do realize that he was referring to not having opposing players in front of the net. Meaning the D clearing the crease, unlike what they had been doing the last 4 years.

Not that he didn't want defenceman there, more that he didn't want opposing players there (in front of Hank)
Don't think anyone on D are crease-cleaners. Maybe Staal if healthy. Will be interesting to see what Samuelsson does.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
OverTheCap

Ulfie should just deliver a hip check on any of our defenders who refuse to clear the crease, that will give them some motivation right there.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

"So glad to be done with the shotblocking Torts stone-age hockey!"

that helped get us to the ECF*.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Sather also said it was possible another coach may still be added to Vigneault’s staff, which, in addition to Samuelsson and Arniel, includes returning goalie coach Benoit Allaire (who drew much laughter as he crawled through the Samuelsson media scrum, which was blocking the path to the observation deck). Assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld, who served a dual role as an assistant coach under John Tortorella, could still be in the mix as well.

“We’re looking at some other possibilities,” Sather said. “We still have Schoeney. We’re going to talk about the other things. We’ve got some irons in the fire.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...nd_samuelsson/

Brown.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Team'll still block shots, just stop the super collapsing hopefully

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Riverdale

Sounds good to me.

I'll be honest, I am a little nervous of the Brassard/Arniel history. We'll see how everything plays out.

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Spamhuis

Don't want to pile on, but av and arniel are the same type of coaches. Thought they might have gone for a counterweight to Av but I guess not.

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
'Keeping the shooting lanes clear' means keeping the opposing forwards from getting to the net.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Spamhuis

Quote:
'Keeping the shooting lanes clear' means keeping the opposing forwards from getting to the net.
Pretty much. This system was used in Vancouver. Blocked very few shots there. It can epically break down though, which is why you saw some of the Canucks melt downs over the years

Spamhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Canucks fan here.

I hope the rangers do extremely well and make the cup, because I love a ton of players on the team you guys have.

But arniel is maybe the worst coach in the NHL, worse then sacco.

With AV (who is a GREAT coach but sucks with prospects) and Arniel who might be the worst coach in the league on dealing with prospects, I hope you guys win sooner then later, because youth development is going to be dreadful

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:07 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Canucks fan here.

I hope the rangers do extremely well and make the cup, because I love a ton of players on the team you guys have.

But arniel is maybe the worst coach in the NHL, worse then sacco.

With AV (who is a GREAT coach but sucks with prospects) and Arniel who might be the worst coach in the league on dealing with prospects, I hope you guys win sooner then later, because youth development is going to be dreadful
This has been proven false and also proven to just be a stereotype made up because AV didn't give a mediocre Kassian top-6 ice time.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Dactyl

honestly im afraid of arniel

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Off Sides

vCash: 580
I really like how people keep saying there will be no lingering issues with Arniel, Nash and Brassard.

Like somehow getting a coach from those Columbus days when all the players wanted out (Nash), did not want to go there (Carter) or were floundering (Brassard) after their one successful season under Hitchcock is somehow a good move for the Rangers.

No big deal, they probably just brought him in to drink coffee upstairs, he'll have no interaction with the players or have any influence on how the team is run.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
This has been proven false and also proven to just be a stereotype made up because AV didn't give a mediocre Kassian top-6 ice time.
Sorry but, I watched every single AV coached game on the canucks, The things he did with prospects were downright depressing.

it's not just kassian, guys like hodgson had feuds with him, Kassian removed from a top 6 role when he was playing great. Schroader not getting a real opportunity until late in the season when they finally clued in he is a damn good player, He had youngish guys like hansen who is a third line checker play on the PP for awhile, even with the sedins. (he had no idea what he was doing with young players)

And worst of all, if any rookie made a mistake he would bench him for the entire game, does not matter if it's the 1st or 3rd period.

(Hey and this is coming from a person who loves AV and what he brings, but coaching prospects? No way in hell)

There are about 10 articles on AV's faults with prospects.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote