HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

What to do with Nathan Gerbe

View Poll Results: What to do with Nathan Gerbe?
Keep Gerbe a Sabre thru to the end of the 2013/14 season, intending to re-sign him. 12 14.81%
Trade or waive Gerbe at the trade deadline or after the 2013/14 season. 7 8.64%
Trade Gerbe ASAP and try to get something for him. 15 18.52%
Waive Gerbe immediately. If no one claims him, assign him to Rochester. 41 50.62%
Other option. What's your idea? 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
I wish half this team had drive/effort of this kid ...... just too damn small to make a difference night in and night out.

Old
07-02-2013, 02:35 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Wait and see.

Let's see how the roster shapes up in free agency/trades/which young kids are ready to start in the NHL. Then if there's a spot open (either regular or spare forward), Gerbe can keep it. if not, he can be traded/waived.

Depth is not a bad thing.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I remember when Gerbe and Marchand got extensions in the 2011 offseason and I was arguing that Gerbe would be near as good as Marchand throughout their careers.

Old
07-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Wait and see.

Let's see how the roster shapes up in free agency/trades/which young kids are ready to start in the NHL. Then if there's a spot open (either regular or spare forward), Gerbe can keep it. if not, he can be traded/waived.

Depth is not a bad thing.
I agree with wait and see, especially because we could be seriously lacking for NHL depth (see: bottom 6 last season), but if someone offers a 4th right now I take it.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Djp

Euthenasia is legal in my state---Washington....

Old
07-02-2013, 04:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I agree with wait and see, especially because we could be seriously lacking for NHL depth (see: bottom 6 last season), but if someone offers a 4th right now I take it.
I doubt anyone offers even that much for him. Galiardi just went for a 4th... he's at least a capable depth player on a playoff roster looking at his tenure with the Sharks.

07-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Djp

I dont see Gerbe being a part of the team next year. He either is sent down to rochester and likely claimed or they throw him in to a larger deal or they deal him in September for like a 5th.

With their forwards:

Vanek-hodgson-Ott
Leino-Grigs-Armia
Ennis-Larsson/VET-Stafford
Foligno-Porter-Flynn
Scott, Adam, Gerbe, Porter, Tropp, Kaleta

Unsure if Adam or Tropp will have to clear waivers to go down to Rochester.

Maybe Im forgetting a few....but some of these players will have to get waived or traded.

Thats hy I feel there will be a deal for an established vet winger for Ennua +Adam/Gerbe/Tropp

Stafford moved for a 1st or a player like Burmi.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I remember when Gerbe and Marchand got extensions in the 2011 offseason and I was arguing that Gerbe would be near as good as Marchand throughout their careers.
And in the 2011 offseason, it did look like Gerbe would be just a notch below Marchand.

Then Bourdon scrambled Gerbe's back and he's never been the same.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I prefer to trade him, but a 5th or worse pick doesn't sound as good as having some AHL depth. Just waive him and send him down, I doubt he gets claimed with his 1.45 cap hit.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I prefer to trade him, but a 5th or worse pick doesn't sound as good as having some AHL depth. Just waive him and send him down, I doubt he gets claimed with his 1.45 cap hit.
<$1.5M is a bargain for an experienced 3rd/4th line player. I could see about 5 teams takeing a flyer on him even to just fill the roster so they dont have to bring up their younger players.

Weve talked on here about Buffalo bringing in a vet center because of the kids...same logic applies to teams with younger wingers.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Attempt to trade and if there are no takers, waive him. He's a waste of a roster spot. Add in the fact that Regier said McCormick will be in the NHL this year makes it more likely that Gerbe isn't here. We have so many wingers, especially if Foligno isn't playing center, all of which are better than Gerbe except Scott who will be the spare forward.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:04 PM
Sabresfansince1980

1.5 mil is not a bargain for a player that has yet to hit 30 goals...in his career. Being a vet doesn't carry any weight in a locker room unless you've also been an effective player.

So what did Regier say about McCormick? Was this in today's presser? Did he mean playing with Buffalo or another team after trade...either/or? If he meant playing in Buffalo that's another anti-Ruff decision, and would mean Porter has another reason to fear his job.

Old
07-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Rant Casey

I'm in the waive immediately camp.

Having to shy away from playing the style of game that got him into the line-up renders him useless. Seeing old Gerbe fill his role in spite of his size was inspiring. Present day Gerbe can't and probably shouldn't go down that road. Seeing him turn his back on checks is getting old, and the reality is that the on-ice officials don't always have the opportunity to protect players who put themselves into positions to get injured.

Size issues, injuries, and having to sit through those Gerbe/Chara David/Goliath yap and slash events (all too frequently) tips the scale for me. That schtick got old a few seasons ago. It's a distraction and can kill tempo.

If he clears that's great news. If he generates interest elsewhere then good luck to him.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:09 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Start a daycare at FNC where parents can put their kids while they watch the game...

Gerbe could dress up as an Oompa Loompa in Sabres attire and tend & entertain the children.....

In all seriousness I don't care what they do with him....Keep him as a 4th liner, trade him, or waive him...Doesn't matter to me.....

Old
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Waived for purposes of being bought out, per MacKenzie.

Closed Thread