HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Kostitsyn put on waivers; Heading to KHL?

Old
06-26-2013, 05:16 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Meh, I'm not happy with it either, but I'll get really pissed when there is concrete evidence to show we could have had X player had we only had that extra cap space.

I'm still trying to determine if it is the full $3m, or if it is $3m - $900k. The "league minimum plus $375,000" provision could simply mean for players going to the AHL, but the CBA does say playing "in another professional league." To me that is black and white. If your player, who is under contract, is loaned to any professional league at all then your team is on the hook for his cap hit minus $900k (until the league minimum goes up).

Also, it seems as though if the Club is on the hook for the cap hit then the contract will not be tolled. That would, in effect, mean that Kostitsyn's cap hit would be applied to the Predators for as long as he remains in another professional league, which makes absolutely no sense.
the league minimum plus 375K is designed to give you some cap relief for the person who takes the loaned players place on the roster

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:26 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I doubt that would fly with the NHL. That is basically cap circumvention.

As far as mutual termination goes, I'm beginning to think that's not kosher either. Maybe there are certain circumstances that must be met before you can take that route? I dunno.

I actually really like this new CBA rule. No more burying your mistakes in the minors or Europe. Luckily, this will have no effect on us since we don't spend to the cap anyway.
I guess they could have waived him, though if no one picked him up we would be right back here.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:33 PM
glenngineer

He's signed to play here. Much like Philly paying the Euro team recently for the Swiss player, the KHL team has to pay the Preds X amount of dollars to have him play for their team. The price is $2.1 million dollars if they want him. If they don't want him then we don't let him go and put him on the suspended list for the season for non-compliance to play out the final year of his contract. We shouldn't be bending over backwards to make it work for him. We shouldn't be penalized for the cap or salary hit if he wants to leave. Go and sign overseas but it has to be on our terms, not his.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:34 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
We took very little risk, and he was a pretty good player for us for two years. I'm not eating any crow at all.

Besides, I seem to recall your issues with him were more off the ice issues than anything else. He didn't have any off the ice issues here. So he wants out? That's fine. He seemed discontent with being here, so let him go.

We got all the mileage out of him we needed.
I will say he played well his first year in MTL but then dropped way off in subsequent years. Till contract renewal time. There was a reason he kept only getting one year deals in MTL not just his off ice antics.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 05:39 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
He scored 23 goals here after he left. It was sour grapes.
LOL not even close I wanted him gone in MTL before he even got there after his time here in London with the Knights.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:28 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If he is loaned to the KHL, the contract year counts and he becomes a UFA next summer. No different than when Huet was "loaned" to a Swiss team while under contract to the Hawks as far as contract impacts ... the only thing that changed is the cap implications.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
He's signed to play here. Much like Philly paying the Euro team recently for the Swiss player, the KHL team has to pay the Preds X amount of dollars to have him play for their team. The price is $2.1 million dollars if they want him. If they don't want him then we don't let him go and put him on the suspended list for the season for non-compliance to play out the final year of his contract. We shouldn't be bending over backwards to make it work for him. We shouldn't be penalized for the cap or salary hit if he wants to leave. Go and sign overseas but it has to be on our terms, not his.
Whether they pay us or not, his cap hit remains there. I'm not too concerned about it since we aren't losing money, but hey, if they send us a check I'm OK with it.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:48 AM
NoNecksCurse

**** you poile. this organization is a piece of ****

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:34 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

There is nothing forcing any of us to stick around if we aren't being entertained.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
Chill man, it isn't Poile's fault. Nobody wants a 3 mil player who can't produce and acts like he doesn't want to be here. Im not a fan of what happened because it leaves a bigger hole for us, but there is no need to talk about your organization like that because of what a player wanted.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
The last player to want out and act like this polie brought back ff9.. So if he gets nothing for his one I'd still say he's way up... ... And dude ... ..... Chill

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If he's willing to take the cap hit, it gives me confidence that he's ready to spend this summer, because it implies $3 mil isn't a big deal

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:34 AM
RCola88

vCash: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
If he's willing to take the cap hit, it gives me confidence that he's ready to spend this summer, because it implies $3 mil isn't a big deal
That's a good positive note you pointed out. Hopefully that comes true, too bad we couldn't use that $3 mil though.

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:37 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I see it differently, unfortunately. $3m (actually $2.1m) is no "big deal" because the team isn't actually spending the money; they are simply taking the cap hit. It tells me that, at best, we were planning on being somewhere in the neighborhood of $3m-$4m below the cap ceiling.

We'll see, though.

Old
06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I see it differently, unfortunately. $3m (actually $2.1m) is no "big deal" because the team isn't actually spending the money; they are simply taking the cap hit. It tells me that, at best, we were planning on being somewhere in the neighborhood of $3m-$4m below the cap ceiling.

We'll see, though.
My interpretation as well. Hope we're wrong.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:

We'll see, though.
I see it this way...the $2.1 million cap hit is money saved over the course of the season. At the trade deadline, after SK74 has already played in the KHL and is ineligible to return to the NHL for this season without clearing waivers first, his contract becomes a buffer piece that can be traded to a team at the cap floor that wants to play their youth and maintain the salary floor or to a top of the cap team that wants to trade away a piece and now has the cap space to take back as part of the return. Maybe you give up an extra pick to move it or the equivalent of "future considerations", but it is $2.1 million in useable space at the end of the season if they need it and actual money saved throughout the course of the season...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:03 PM
jlsg

I think this is more about what's on the ice at game time then cap hits and contracts. Having a player on the ice that doesn't give a crap can be a lot worse then a 3 mil cap hit. There's no doubt in my mind that Poile has tried to move SK, probably since early last year but I don't see a gm in the league that would take that on. Poile came to the conclusion that this team is better without SK74 on the ice so things like what happened on the PK in Edmonton don't happen again.
I think the team is better off and it's worth the cap hit to have him gone. If he had his attitude right we all know the player he can be, but that shipped sailed and so has SK.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 12:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I see it this way...the $2.1 million cap hit is money saved over the course of the season. At the trade deadline, after SK74 has already played in the KHL and is ineligible to return to the NHL for this season without clearing waivers first, his contract becomes a buffer piece that can be traded to a team at the cap floor that wants to play their youth and maintain the salary floor or to a top of the cap team that wants to trade away a piece and now has the cap space to take back as part of the return. Maybe you give up an extra pick to move it or the equivalent of "future considerations", but it is $2.1 million in useable space at the end of the season if they need it and actual money saved throughout the course of the season...
That's a good thought. Let's hope that we need to be able to try to move that cap space at the end of the season

Old
06-27-2013, 09:59 PM
tserberis*

Just to clear the air a bit:

All those Avangard reports are pure BS!

SK is with Nashville for the next year.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Just to clear the air a bit:

All those Avangard reports are pure BS!

SK is with Nashville for the next year.
really? because apparently poile has been discussing it with the media

Old
06-27-2013, 11:25 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
really? because apparently poile has been discussing it with the media
Really!

Media asked he replied. No discussion.

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:31 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Really!

Media asked he replied. No discussion.
well, poile replied in a way that made it sound like it was a done deal, specifically talking about how the Preds would be responsible for his cap hit but not his actual salary

Old
06-28-2013, 07:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
My interpretation as well. Hope we're wrong.
Heck, I would be excited, we haven't been close to the cap lately. And that would mean we're planning on spending another 10M on salary.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2013, 07:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Heck, I would be excited, we haven't been close to the cap lately. And that would mean we're planning on spending another 10M on salary.
After RFA's are paid, a backup is signed, and the #4 pick gets his payday, I figure we will have about $7m in space ($12.1 now/$1.6 to Spals and Brennen/$1.5 to backup/$2 to #4).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Infinite Jest

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie
NSH's Sergei Kostistyn also on unconditional waivers but it could be for mutually agreed to termination of contract as opposed to buyout.
Mutual termination would be awesome.

Infinite Jest is offline   Reply With Quote