HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Thomas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2013, 07:26 AM
  #151
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,527
vCash: 500
Doesn't capgeek automatically include the bonus cushion now? I think they said they do that because every year there is one.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:41 AM
  #152
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Our options do blow. There is no sure thing. I'm increasingly leaning towards Thomas because I think that will generate the most outrage in other fanbases.

Is that a good reason? Hell no, it's a complete garbage reason. But at this point, whatever. I'm completely spent on the goaltending issue after the Bryzaster, I'm not gonna worry about it until the season starts and there's something worth worrying over.
I feel like Mason with one of Thomas, Khudobin or even Theodore would be a big upgrade from what Bryzgalov gave us last year.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
  #153
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Why is no one talking about Thomas Greiss as a potential backup? He seems at least as good as Khudobin, no?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:22 AM
  #154
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,527
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...30109854150656

Quote:
Three teams have reached out to Tim Thomas camp so far...
Think it's safe to assume we are one of those teams. Columbus might be another. The third is anyones guess.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
  #155
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...30109854150656


Think it's safe to assume we are one of those teams. Columbus might be another. The third is anyones guess.
Why Columbus? Didn't they just sign bob to a deal over 5 million?

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  #156
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Why Columbus? Didn't they just sign bob to a deal over 5 million?
There were rumors they were going to reach out to him, Eklund reported it, and then other did as well. So it's not as far fetched as one would think. They want a goalie who brings a veteran presence to help Bob. Thomas would definitely meet that criteria.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
  #157
healthyscratch
Registered User
 
healthyscratch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,613
vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...30109854150656


Think it's safe to assume we are one of those teams. Columbus might be another. The third is anyones guess.
Flyers, Islanders, Flames?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
  #158
blinds
Registered User
 
blinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Why is no one talking about Thomas Greiss as a potential backup? He seems at least as good as Khudobin, no?
Do we need a backup? I don't think Mason is ready for a starter role. Getting someone like Bernier would be different, but a plain backup like Greiss, Emery or Theodore is asking for more goalie problems.

I think it needs to be either Halak, Miller or hopefully Thomas if we want some consistency in net.

Thomas may not be consistent with his time off, he's more of a risk, but he could end up being the best of anything available. At worst I expect him to be around the level of any of those backups, and as long as the deal is short that isn't a terrible risk. Most importantly, he wouldn't cost anything like Halak and Miller would.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
  #159
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,853
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Do we need a backup? I don't think Mason is ready for a starter role. Getting someone like Bernier would be different, but a plain backup like Greiss, Emery or Theodore is asking for more goalie problems.

I think it needs to be either Halak, Miller or hopefully Thomas if we want some consistency in net.

Thomas may not be consistent with his time off, he's more of a risk, but he could end up being the best of anything available. At worst I expect him to be around the level of any of those backups, and as long as the deal is short that isn't a terrible risk. Most importantly, he wouldn't cost anything like Halak and Miller would.
I'm just saying if people are throwing Khudobin's name around, Greiss's name should be in there too. Comparable age and stats. Greiss would probably be cheaper I would imagine.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
  #160
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
There were rumors they were going to reach out to him, Eklund reported it, and then other did as well. So it's not as far fetched as one would think. They want a goalie who brings a veteran presence to help Bob. Thomas would definitely meet that criteria.
I thought that was when they weren't sure about resigning Bob.

I can't see Columbus paying their goalies $9 million this season, and you know Thomas is going to want $3.5 million or more to make coming back worth his while.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:49 AM
  #161
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Doesn't capgeek automatically include the bonus cushion now? I think they said they do that because every year there is one.
They do if you calculate a roster, but they don't when you just look at the general Flyers page.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
  #162
n62
Registered User
 
n62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Saw this in another thread but it will likely have huge bearing on where Thomas will end up. We all know how he feels about taxes and the almighty dollar


n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:52 AM
  #163
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Philadelphia is above average then.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:59 AM
  #164
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Snider and he share the same politics.
Economically, yes. Otherwise, not necessarily. I've heard, from Snider's own mouth, his entire philosophical view point. It's a complicated back story, but basically I used to be part of a small intellectual group of friends and Snider was asked to speak, and he did. Snider has economical agreement with Thomas, but not necessarily moral or religious. As an aside, he couldn't be a more nicer guy, and he cares very much about morality and integrity.

THAT BEING SAID-- if there is one place Thomas can feel comfortable holding those views without getting grief about them, I would imagine he would fit in with Snider's circle.

But, I'll break it down for you.

Snider is a laissez-faire capitalist, close to libertarian in viewpoint, who is much more secular and less religious. His morals are more liberal, but not entirely.
Thomas is a neoconservative capitalist, who aligns himself with Glenn Beck, who are staunchly religious. His morals are very right-leaning.


Last edited by Flyotes: 07-03-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
  #165
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
I don't think Thomas gets any more than Nabokov. Ie. 3mm or lower. There is no bidding war for him and he should just be hoping for a shot.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
  #166
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
If Thomas really wants to win he will be a Flyer. And if he is a Flyer and this team doesn't play defense in front of him I am sure he will get on their case and then on the coaches case if he doesn't get the team to play better team defense. This will be a stacked team with him here and the defense isn't as bad as some think.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
  #167
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,864
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I don't think Thomas gets any more than Nabokov. Ie. 3mm or lower. There is no bidding war for him and he should just be hoping for a shot.
If we can get him for that low I would be very surprised, but it would give us a chance to keep Mez at D and also re-sign Gagne.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:22 AM
  #168
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Economically, yes. Otherwise, not necessarily. I've heard, from Snider's own mouth, his entire philosophical view point. It's a complicated back story, but basically I used to be part of a small intellectual group of friends and Snider was asked to speak, and he did. Snider has economical agreement with Thomas, but not necessarily moral or religious. As an aside, he couldn't be a more nicer guy, and he cares very much about morality and integrity.

THAT BEING SAID-- if there is one place Thomas can feel comfortable holding those views without getting grief about them, I would imagine he would fit in with Snider's circle.

But, I'll break it down for you.

Snider is a laissez-faire capitalist, close to libertarian in viewpoint, who is much more secular and less religious. His morals are more liberal, but not entirely.
Thomas is a neoconservative capitalist, who aligns himself with Glenn Beck, who are staunchly religious. His morals are very right-leaning.
Ayn Rand acolyte? Yeah she was a good philosopher and writer...but applyling her principles to econ is devoid of pragmatism. Having said this Snider sounds at least more measured than Thomas but to each their own.

On that note, I don't think I want Thomas here anymore....I think he is looking for more money and years than we should want to afford. A guy like Halak would work better. More like a Vokoun fill in for a year.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:24 AM
  #169
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I don't think Thomas gets any more than Nabokov. Ie. 3mm or lower. There is no bidding war for him and he should just be hoping for a shot.
No bidding war? ha.....

There was no bidding war for Bryz either, but somehow Homer got into a bidding war with himself

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
  #170
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
No bidding war? ha.....

There was no bidding war for Bryz either, but somehow Homer got into a bidding war with himself
Oh ya, now you got me worried.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
  #171
n62
Registered User
 
n62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 514
vCash: 500
Yes Snider is a huge fan of Ayn Rand:

"In 1985, Snider was one of the founding contributors of the Ayn Rand Institute, which was established by the philosopher Leonard Peikoff to promote the advancement of Objectivism. In 1990, after the Peikoff-Kelley split (see Objectivist Movement), Snider became a backer of the rival organization now known as The Atlas Society."

"Ed Snider is the executive producer of the film Atlas Shrugged: Part I. In an interview published in the Philadelphia Metro newspaper on April 26, 2011, Snider was quoted as saying "They tried to make this film for 50 years ... Hollywood did not want to make this movie because it did not adhere to its liberal agenda."

n62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
  #172
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
Yes Snider is a huge fan of Ayn Rand:

"In 1985, Snider was one of the founding contributors of the Ayn Rand Institute, which was established by the philosopher Leonard Peikoff to promote the advancement of Objectivism. In 1990, after the Peikoff-Kelley split (see Objectivist Movement), Snider became a backer of the rival organization now known as The Atlas Society."

"Ed Snider is the executive producer of the film Atlas Shrugged: Part I. In an interview published in the Philadelphia Metro newspaper on April 26, 2011, Snider was quoted as saying "They tried to make this film for 50 years ... Hollywood did not want to make this movie because it did not adhere to its liberal agenda."
That is what I figured....not my cup of tea that is for sure. Small l libertarians are ok...Big L types frighten me in some aspects. Anyway....he has his interests that align with that philosophy so only normal ...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:39 AM
  #173
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
I purposefully tried not to get into it too much, because I'm not trying to turn this into a politics thread. My point is that Thomas's viewpoint does not fit entirely, as people are glossing over a bit. It "mostly" fits.

In that circle, I'm just speculating here, he would be that friend of yours who you really like and agree with on most things, but then he starts talking about aliens building the pyramids and you just ignore it and pass it off as him being wacky.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
  #174
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 48,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I feel like Mason with one of Thomas, Khudobin or even Theodore would be a big upgrade from what Bryzgalov gave us last year.
Simply not having Bryzgalov is an upgrade over Bryzgalov. He was seriously one of the worst goalies in the league last year. A lot of backups were better.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
  #175
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I purposefully tried not to get into it too much, because I'm not trying to turn this into a politics thread. My point is that Thomas's viewpoint does not fit entirely, as people are glossing over a bit. It "mostly" fits.

In that circle, I'm just speculating here, he would be that friend of yours who you really like and agree with on most things, but then he starts talking about aliens building the pyramids and you just ignore it and pass it off as him being wacky.
Yeah I picked up your main premise.....

Thomas is more of the astro-turf tea party dude (Gun's, God and g@ys kind of stuff) and Snider is more your traditional Ayn Rand "l"ibertatian or "L"ibertarian.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.