HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Vinny signs which center traded?

Old
07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
It's much easier to move a C to the wing than it is to move a wing to C.

Countless centers have made the transition to wing, few wingers have made the transition to center.
Didn't Schenn pick up his offense when he was the center as opposed to a wing last year? I mean if he starts out as wing and is not jerked around then maybe he can settle in and be more effective but he didn't seem to be a particularly good winger from an offensive standpoint at least. Maybe I got things reversed?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Trading Couturier remains a bad idea.

07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Laughton has to be sent back to juniors before the season starts. once he is here on opening night he is here. he already had his one 9 game tryout.
Signing Vinny definitely means another move is going down. right now we are at the cap ceiling and would be looking to dip into that LTIR money and its only July. Something btw I am not in favor of. I would like to go into the season with some cap space available not including Pronger and technically Wellwoods money as well.
You are not going to get crap for Meszaros and some would even question if there is even a market for a brittle middle pairing defenseman. if they get more then a 4th rounder for him I would be shocked.
of course dealing Coburn leaves the Flyers in a spot where they are going to roll the dice on Meszaros. lets not forget they still need to resign Gus as well. i am expecting him to be penciled in as the #6.
then of course they still need to sign a goaltender. How much can we count on Thomas costing us?

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Trading Couturier remains a bad idea.
This is so true. I don't think signing Vinny makes either Couts or schenn tradeable.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
This is so true. I don't think signing Vinny makes either Couts or schenn tradeable.
IF any Couturier/Coburn package can net us a top-pairing defender, Homer needs to consider it at least.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
IF any Couturier/Coburn package can net us a top-pairing defender, Homer needs to consider it at least.
Trading Couturier for a #1 is a sideways step that doesn't bring us closer to a Cup. Every Cup winner has a center like Couturier, and they don't grow on trees...much like #1 dmen. Once you have one it's best to keep it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Trading Couturier for a #1 is a sideways step that doesn't bring us closer to a Cup. Every Cup winner has a center like Couturier, and they don't grow on trees...much like #1 dmen. Once you have one it's best to keep it.
True, however i do believe that a Handzus ( who was had for cheap ) fulfills that role in the short term.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

if you want to move one of the young guys then it may end up being Laughton.
i still think Holmgren has something up his sleeve especially based on the rumors that The Flyers and Oilers are still talking.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:26 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if you want to move one of the young guys then it may end up being Laughton.
i still think Holmgren has something up his sleeve especially based on the rumors that The Flyers and Oilers are still talking.
Indeed but I don't believe it would be enough (for a top pairing defender).

The difference between Couturier and Laughton is, by what they've done and will be able to do, sky rocket high and other GM's know it.

I could care less what HF main board user think about Coots. There is a reason why he's asked for in every trade.

For all the Oilers rumours, Laughton+ may be enough. They have no clear cut number one D.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Any defenseman leading your team in TOI is going to be worth at least 4.50m.

He probably will lead us in TOI again this year, but he'll have a capable partner for a change.

Every year that Coburn has excelled, he's been paired with somebody who can take some responsibilities away from him. Streit does just that.
Come on Chris, Coburn has had numerous capable partners over the years. He's been paired with Timonen, Jason Smith, Derian Hatcher and Nicklas Grossmann. You make it sound like he's been paired with garbage since he's been in Philadelphia.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Laughton has to be sent back to juniors before the season starts. once he is here on opening night he is here. he already had his one 9 game tryout.
Signing Vinny definitely means another move is going down. right now we are at the cap ceiling and would be looking to dip into that LTIR money and its only July. Something btw I am not in favor of. I would like to go into the season with some cap space available not including Pronger and technically Wellwoods money as well.
You are not going to get crap for Meszaros and some would even question if there is even a market for a brittle middle pairing defenseman. if they get more then a 4th rounder for him I would be shocked.
of course dealing Coburn leaves the Flyers in a spot where they are going to roll the dice on Meszaros. lets not forget they still need to resign Gus as well. i am expecting him to be penciled in as the #6.
then of course they still need to sign a goaltender. How much can we count on Thomas costing us?
I'd be happy if all we got back was a from the other GM. At this point it's like he's not even on the team, so anything tangible is gravy.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:32 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
The Meltzer blog says that we could effectively trade Meszaros for peanuts and swallow some of the cap, sounds fine to me. In signing Gustafsson he takes Meszaros spot (i.e. 3rd/4th pairing) and you still save cap. Gustafsson's qualifier is $850,000 apparently, dealing Mesz for a pick or whatever and retaining $1m of his salary gives us a saving of $2m off our cap (and as the Mesz deal runs out after this season we get the extra $1m back for next season).

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:37 PM
EstimatedProphet
Rookie User

Why not trade Schenn? Everyone keeps bringing up Couturier and Laughton, Laughton doesn't have the trade value to be the center piece for a number 1 dman and Couturier is too valuable for his defensive prowess to trade. So I ask again, why not package Brayden for a number 1 dman? The fact remains, we need a legit number 1 guy on defense and it might hurt parting with Schenn but I think he's our best option as trade bait.

EstimatedProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
True, however i do believe that a Handzus ( who was had for cheap ) fulfills that role in the short term.
Sure, but then we're left looking to fill that hole. We're creating a new hole in the process of filling another.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:54 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstimatedProphet View Post
Why not trade Schenn? Everyone keeps bringing up Couturier and Laughton, Laughton doesn't have the trade value to be the center piece for a number 1 dman and Couturier is too valuable for his defensive prowess to trade. So I ask again, why not package Brayden for a number 1 dman? The fact remains, we need a legit number 1 guy on defense and it might hurt parting with Schenn but I think he's our best option as trade bait.
You won't get close to a #1 dman for BSchenn unless he has a great year here. And if you trade him the team becomes weak on the wings.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:00 PM
EstimatedProphet
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
You won't get close to a #1 dman for BSchenn unless he has a great year here. And if you trade him the team becomes weak on the wings.
I'm thinking Brayden + Luke/coburn + 2014 1st + 2015 1st

That's a better package then we gave up for Pronger annnnnddd I really don't care about having a first next year just because we're hosting the draft, I'd rather have a #1 dman.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:16 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:

That's a better package then we gave up for Pronger annnnnddd I really don't care about having a first next year just because we're hosting the draft, I'd rather have a #1 dman.
Luke Schenn goes nowhere.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
poneill27

No centers get traded. Moved to wing.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

For who?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
The Couturier Effect

They're gonna trade Giroux. That guy's a scrub.

Anyway, I don't think anyone gets moved. Like others have said, Schenn will most likely be moved to the wing, Couturier will stay on the 3rd line, and Laughton will either be playing on the 4th line or be sent back to juniors.

Some may doubt Homer's patience with our young players, but he has made the right moves so far this offseason. I think he understands how important Couturier and Schenn are to this team's future.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
EstimatedProphet
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
For who?
One of pietrangelo, weber, oel....you know the usual suspects doesn't really matter to me which one it is.

Here's my line of thinking. If we need a legit #1 to truly contend then lets bite the bullet and get it done. Signing vinny gives us the flexibility to survive a trade of that magnitude. Admittedly I don't know if any of those dmen are available but if Gretzky got traded....... My point is we can not only survive trading a package centered around BSchenn and Lschenn/coburn but for the right dman that turns us into a serious contender. As things stand our defense is slightly above average but an injury away from being below average, that's just to much uncertainty for me.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
They're gonna trade Giroux. That guy's a scrub.

Anyway, I don't think anyone gets moved. Like others have said, Schenn will most likely be moved to the wing, Couturier will stay on the 3rd line, and Laughton will either be playing on the 4th line or be sent back to juniors.

Some may doubt Homer's patience with our young players, but he has made the right moves so far this offseason. I think he understands how important Couturier and Schenn are to this team's future.
As mentioned before...Holmgren has gone on record as saying that Couturier and Schenn are non-starters in trade talks. So far despite his tendency to tell half-truths he looks to be sticking to his guns.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Tripod

I personally would be in favour of signing Hall to a 1 year deal at 650,000 and let Laughton have 1 more year in jr's. Let him be a #1 C and dominate. Gain more confidence. Get stronger. Doing this also saves $450,000 on the cap. And I know what Homer said before about him. I just think that 1 etra year will only help him more in the long run. We don't ALWAYS need to bring in young guys and have them on the 4th line. Keep that low cap hit for another year. Plus, that let's Hall take the defensive faceoffs too...56% last year instead of wasting G or Vinny...or pressuring Couts or Laughton so much.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Schenn and Couturier have both played a bit of wing. Unless there is a clear upgrade available in jettisoning one of those two or Talbot, I don't think there is any urgent need whatsoever.

07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Move Meszaros to Center, then trade him. Only way the criteria for this thread is met.

But realistically, I have no problem moving Cousins, and I'm "meh" about Laughton.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote