HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PowerPlayManager.com - Part 9 - Hockey, Soccer and Handball? Oh my!

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Tested my A-squad in today's friendly. In-game ratings are in:

GK - 31
LB - 34
CB - 42, 36
RB - 32
LM - 34
CM - 33, 31
RM - 35
CF - 53, 52

Amazed I had taken 10 IGR worth of energy out of my CFs... that's crazy!

Old
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
Tested my A-squad in today's friendly. In-game ratings are in:

GK - 31
LB - 34
CB - 42, 36
RB - 32
LM - 34
CM - 33, 31
RM - 35
CF - 53, 52

Amazed I had taken 10 IGR worth of energy out of my CFs... that's crazy!
Not my expected A-squad (still running camp), but here's my team's ratings today vs. yesterday (unless otherwise noted):

G 31 | 24
LD 36 | 22
CD 42 | 24 (on Saturday)
CD 34 | 28 (not expected starter)
RD 36 | 26
LM 38 | 25
CM 34 | 25 (not expected starter)
CM 37 | 26
RM 40 | 27
CF 46 | 35 (not expected starter)
CF 53 | 32

I only noted McIntyre's energy at the end of last season (57); His 24 IGR Saturday divided by his 42 IGR today equals 57.14%. I wonder if the other players IGR was linearly dependent on energy. Bragg's (53/32) rating went up by 21, so congrats on only lowering your forwards energy by 10!

--------------

A couple notes for tujague:

Matt Hernandez is now 18 and 6/6.

The first Boilermaker/FC Corona match is in 6 weeks (match 19).

Old
07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrawrn View Post
I finally broke into the top 1,000 hockey teams (in OTR) in the world! Woo!
Awesome Camrawrn.

I have 3456 to go ... then top 1000 LOL

Here is mine... Just as a reference of where I am and how far I have to go.

G 9
LD 15
CD 18
CD 10
RD 12
LM 19
CM 13
CM 13
RM 14
CF 12
CF 12

Hand ball : So has anyone noticed any tactics that seem to be a little consistent.

I am still confused on how FB's can be so different from half to half with zero change in tactics from both teams.

Some things I have noticed is that Attacking with the Pivot seems to gain more shooting opportunities against a 4-2 defence.

Last edited by tescosamoa: 07-01-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: added below ----
Old
07-01-2013, 09:42 PM
old time hockey4

Quote:
No idea. Had one market bid that was unapproved (14M buy of Canadian player, not multiplaying but he bid 14M on a 7M bid). Still trying to figure out the details but all I can get is "we can't discuss it". If he cooperates with the devs he could get his team back. I've sent him a text message to try and get this resolved ASAP. Happening on day 1 when you're the manager of a non-senior NT is *not* a good thing.
Ya I feel really bad about it. Never asked him to up the bid, he only asked about CD that were being sold right now and I told him to look at my guy. His bidding was all on his volition and I can't really see it being a permanent ban. Worst part about it is the guy he bid 14M for, that was definitely not far off his market price so it's not like he was even doing an exorbitant bid. Tell him I'm really sorry if this turns into a permanent ban.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:13 PM
tujague

tesco, is that your Handball team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
Not my expected A-squad (still running camp), but here's my team's ratings today vs. tujague's:

G 31 | 29 Both back-ups
LD 36 | 30 Naturally a CD
CD 42 | 38 (-14 last season)
CD 34 | 38
RD 36 | 34 (-2)
LM 38 | 32 Back-up
CM 34 | 33
CM 37 | 21 Trainer
RM 40 | 36 (-7)
CF 46 | 44 (-11)
CF 53 |

--------------
A couple notes for tujague:

Matt Hernandez is now 18 and 6/6.

The first Boilermaker/FC Corona match is in 6 weeks (match 19).
Son of a *****. I only sold him because he was added to the damn NT and I knew he would drop to 5/6 pretty quickly like every other damn player over the last however many seasons. Dammit. At least one of my dmen made to 18 & 6/6. But Strickland isn't as good as Hernandez (-140 OR?).

Only fours starters to compare right now, but I like these initial ratings. My biggest gains will be at CD & CM. Obviously, because mine were **** last season. I'll be happy if I make up even a couple of points in a few other spots.

Very interesting to know that Valina is no longer a starter. And you're bidding on Isaac Buchanan?

Old
07-02-2013, 07:16 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Son of a *****. I only sold him because he was added to the damn NT and I knew he would drop to 5/6 pretty quickly like every other damn player over the last however many seasons. Dammit. At least one of my dmen made to 18 & 6/6. But Strickland isn't as good as Hernandez (-140 OR?).

Only fours starters to compare right now, but I like these initial ratings. My biggest gains will be at CD & CM. Obviously, because mine were **** last season. I'll be happy if I make up even a couple of points in a few other spots.
I think you caught a mistake I did in my post; where I didn't annotate Cheney as the backup (goalie).

CD is a position where I should spend some money. There's rarely good options on the market though. I have prospects in the 17-18 year old range, but they're not ready to start yet.

My initial CM ratings may be a little misleading. The 37 is my second best CM and currently has 56 chemistry. The 34 is in a toss-up for third best CM, depending on how I weigh shooting vs. experience. The two other CMs in my top two lineups are in camp (again) with Taganovich expected to become my highest OR player tonight.

Quote:
Very interesting to know that Valina is no longer a starter. And you're bidding on Isaac Buchanan?
Valina has been surpassed in EOR by a couple of 19 year olds, with a third 19 year old right behind him. This may be the season I try to get some cash for Valina (after camps finish).

I have a soft spot in my heart for any USA NT players. I probably won't win the Buchanan auction, but I'd be willing to bid a bit more than the current price.

The key acquisitions I should make this season are a starting CD, an upgrade at LM, and perhaps a new goalie prospect (the current prospect is 18 and 6/6, so I'd want to grab a 15 year old prospect).

Old
07-02-2013, 07:48 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by old time hockey4 View Post
Ya I feel really bad about it. Never asked him to up the bid, he only asked about CD that were being sold right now and I told him to look at my guy. His bidding was all on his volition and I can't really see it being a permanent ban. Worst part about it is the guy he bid 14M for, that was definitely not far off his market price so it's not like he was even doing an exorbitant bid. Tell him I'm really sorry if this turns into a permanent ban.
I doubt it will be and you're exactly right. I think what he got in trouble for was asking others to bid so he could double it. I suspect the "let's help a Canadian manager make some money" was likely the kicker. Still working on getting his teams back. I suspect he'll get them back. The issue is the gamemaster doesn't believe he tossed up the 14M bid because he had to go to work and not worry about people outbidding him.

Again, frustrating that one strike and you're out especially for someone who has been around for a long time and always supported the game.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:16 AM
tescosamoa

still not right what he did. A better path for giving money would have been scheduling home friendly's or just keep quiet about it and bid.

Last edited by tescosamoa: 07-02-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: or just keep quiet about it and bid.
Old
07-02-2013, 10:29 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
still not right what he did. A better path for giving money would have been scheduling home friendly's or just keep quiet about it and bid.
It wasn't intended to give money to the other guy, nor did the other guy ask for it. He just wanted people to bud so he could bid 14M and have the best chance of winning the bid as he wouldn't be around. Anyways, looks like he may be back soon. We'll see.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:50 AM
tujague

Quote:
CD is a position where I should spend some money. There's rarely good options on the market though. I have prospects in the 17-18 year old range, but they're not ready to start yet.

My initial CM ratings may be a little misleading. The 37 is my second best CM and currently has 56 chemistry. The 34 is in a toss-up for third best CM, depending on how I weigh shooting vs. experience. The two other CMs in my top two lineups are in camp (again) with Taganovich expected to become my highest OR player tonight.
I know what you mean about CDs. I looked and looked and looked. And only started adding them when I lowered my standards. I'll let you know if I see one I can't afford. What kind of player are you looking for?

Can you believe that Coronas have a better LM than Aldridge? Assuming he went into the same position, Piatrousky(sp?) had a 55 to Aldridge's 51. You definitely need an upgrade.

As far as CMs, it doesn't matter what you do. I will make up ground there Mine were so screwed up that it's got to be impossible for me not to. But I'm ****ed if you can get a guy who is +13 on Stamper again

All of my starters except for Lemieux have less than 100 chem as well. The camp guys will probably be in the 60s by the time they get out.

Quote:
Valina has been surpassed in EOR by a couple of 19 year olds, with a third 19 year old right behind him. This may be the season I try to get some cash for Valina (after camps finish).

The key acquisitions I should make this season are a starting CD, an upgrade at LM, and perhaps a new goalie prospect (the current prospect is 18 and 6/6, so I'd want to grab a 15 year old prospect).
Your young guys are sick. I mean they make me sick. Even though my Academy was pumping out some good players for a while, they were all 3.5 stars. Not super studs. I think Quentin Coates might have been the only guy with 4 stars and he was 5/6

I'd like to add a young goalie, too. I feel like it's a waste using the old guy Cernohorsky in friendlies. Other than that, I'll be happy if I can make one big splash on the market this season. I need one of those studs like you guys get. It really doesn't matter on the position. Although, since 3/4 Mids dropped to 4/6, I guess that would probably be the best spot to upgrade. But I'm not going to limit myself. Any position, 18yo 6/6 1000++OR or 21yo 5/6 and 1400+OR. I don't even know if they sell those kinds of players yet. So I might need to lower the expectations a bit

Old
07-02-2013, 11:14 AM
suprvilce

****** this handball. I'm down, what, 9 goals after 1st period, tie it up with few minutes left in game and lose by one goal scored less than 15 sec left.

Old
07-02-2013, 11:44 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
****** this handball. I'm down, what, 9 goals after 1st period, tie it up with few minutes left in game and lose by one goal scored less than 15 sec left.
Sounds like my team but I lose by 10

I play the 3rd best team in the world today *and* my only decent Back is injured (he really isn't even that good).

Old
07-02-2013, 01:07 PM
canucks357

I have a theory...

We all know they changed the system, if you wait until day 1 of a season to pull the players will be 16. But I spoke to Vlady a bit and think we could still exploit this a bit, hear me out.

If we pull on day 108 of season N (or whatever it is) we will get 15 year olds 6/6 and 5/6. Come day 1 of season N+1 they will be 15 and 6/6 or 5/6 with some 5/6 coming from the 6/6 guys going from 15 6/6 to 16 5/6. If we view them on day 108 but don't accept them until day 1, they will age (I think) but I doubt their C/L will be potentially dropped.

I suspect the way the servers go through is via guys with IDs (iterate all players from ID 1 to Z). The guys who are viewed but not pulled won't have an associate ID. In theory, you should be able to avoid the 15 6/6 to 16 5/6 drop if you do this.

I think in hockey I'm going to test the view on day 108 then pull on day 1 just to see if there are any C/L drops. Odds are there won't be regardless if it is a loophole (15 6/6 to 16 5/6 isn't too common, unless you're one of my teams' players) so if others wanted to test as well that'd get more data. Who knows, this may avoid them aging too, but I doubt it.

Old
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
doug5984

Send a message via AIM to doug5984
Quote:
I have a theory...

We all know they changed the system, if you wait until day 1 of a season to pull the players will be 16. But I spoke to Vlady a bit and think we could still exploit this a bit, hear me out.

If we pull on day 108 of season N (or whatever it is) we will get 15 year olds 6/6 and 5/6. Come day 1 of season N+1 they will be 15 and 6/6 or 5/6 with some 5/6 coming from the 6/6 guys going from 15 6/6 to 16 5/6. If we view them on day 108 but don't accept them until day 1, they will age (I think) but I doubt their C/L will be potentially dropped.

I suspect the way the servers go through is via guys with IDs (iterate all players from ID 1 to Z). The guys who are viewed but not pulled won't have an associate ID. In theory, you should be able to avoid the 15 6/6 to 16 5/6 drop if you do this.

I think in hockey I'm going to test the view on day 108 then pull on day 1 just to see if there are any C/L drops. Odds are there won't be regardless if it is a loophole (15 6/6 to 16 5/6 isn't too common, unless you're one of my teams' players) so if others wanted to test as well that'd get more data. Who knows, this may avoid them aging too, but I doubt it.
I'll try to remember to try this as well... all we need is 1 player to drop to know the answer for sure, but right now it's a solid theory.

Old
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Emerald76

My first team played over the last couple of days mixed with some 2nd teamers are as follows.

GK | 34
LD | 34
CD | 38/32
RD 33
LM | 34
CM | 39/40
RM 33
CF | 60/43

Strong GK, CB's (to an extent), CM's and CF's (in particular).
Weak areas are out wide in comparison to the rest of my team, something I'm working on with better players coming through - it'll take a while, but I plan on using my FB's and wingers more sparingly this season to make them last the season.

Started off with a defeat in my CL qualifying game, 4-3.
And tonight had a comfortable 6-0 win in league game 1.

Aiden Garvey's IGR of 60 means he is streets ahead of any other CF in my league, and scored a hattrick to kick his season off.

All in all, not bad, and with a OTS rating of 159 from tonights game, I'm looking forward to the season ahead.

Tomorrow I play the home leg of the CL qualifying game, where a low scoring win by 1 goal will see me through to the group stages proper.

Old
07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
tescosamoa

so for handball today I figured a complete new system to baffle the other team.
Results. Baffled my team even more.

It was the game of saves. They had 20 I had 18. Lost by 5 and I had the last 3 goals
Switched to a 6-0 vs balanced and get out shot 55 to 48 ????

This game confuses me more and more.....

Old
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
canucks357

New PPM Mag on soccer SA (paralleled by hockey and handball).

Old
07-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
I know what you mean about CDs. I looked and looked and looked. And only started adding them when I lowered my standards. I'll let you know if I see one I can't afford. What kind of player are you looking for?
Ideally I'd like to pick up a CD around 1400 OR and 22 years or younger (at least 4/6). I'd be willing to go after less OR if the age and CL are better. This will probably cost me a lot of cash. Depending on how my upcoming market transactions go, I may go crazy on the market.

Quote:
Can you believe that Coronas have a better LM than Aldridge? Assuming he went into the same position, Piatrousky(sp?) had a 55 to Aldridge's 51. You definitely need an upgrade.
Piatrouski is a CF. Aldridge is 9th in the world in OR, so he's most likely the top LM in the game.

I tend to train my midfielders with more shooting than the Corona's and I think the performance increase due to the increased shooting is greater than the IGR increase. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Quote:
As far as CMs, it doesn't matter what you do. I will make up ground there Mine were so screwed up that it's got to be impossible for me not to. But I'm ****ed if you can get a guy who is +13 on Stamper again

All of my starters except for Lemieux have less than 100 chem as well. The camp guys will probably be in the 60s by the time they get out.
Two of my guys in camp are down to 83 chemistry, which is better than I thought they would be. I'm debating about starting camp #2 when this camp finished. It may come down to how many more points I lose this week.

It would be good for the NTs to have the players finished with camp early and should give me an extra oomph once the starters' chemistry recovers. I just don't want to fall too far behind in the standings.

Quote:
Your young guys are sick. I mean they make me sick. Even though my Academy was pumping out some good players for a while, they were all 3.5 stars. Not super studs. I think Quentin Coates might have been the only guy with 4 stars and he was 5/6
None of my pulls from last season are expected to last much longer with the team. All four of them stayed 6/6 though; so perhaps I'll get a small amount of cash for them.

Quote:
I'd like to add a young goalie, too. I feel like it's a waste using the old guy Cernohorsky in friendlies. Other than that, I'll be happy if I can make one big splash on the market this season. I need one of those studs like you guys get. It really doesn't matter on the position. Although, since 3/4 Mids dropped to 4/6, I guess that would probably be the best spot to upgrade. But I'm not going to limit myself. Any position, 18yo 6/6 1000++OR or 21yo 5/6 and 1400+OR. I don't even know if they sell those kinds of players yet. So I might need to lower the expectations a bit
There were some 17 year old, 6/6 players with over 1000 OR that I was outbid on at the end of last season. You might keep an eye out for them. I should mention that I don't (currently) have any 18, 6/6, 1000+ or 21, 5/6, 1400+ players. I do have nine 18 year olds with at least 900 OR, but only two are 6/6. My 1400+ OR players are currently 23 and 25.

Spicer will probably carry more of the load than he did last season, with Cheney picking up some starts. Alaniz isn't ready for competitive matches yet, but in the 8.5 months I've had him he has gained 529 OR.

Old
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
I have a theory...
If players in the SA during the season update aren't subject to CL drops, then that should probably be reported to the powers that be. You wouldn't want the GameMasters to think you were exploiting anything.

I don't reject my prospects, so I can still view the soccer players from last season. I don't know if there were any CL drops (3/4 are 6/6), but they did age.

Old
07-02-2013, 09:13 PM
canucks357

Quote:
If players in the SA during the season update aren't subject to CL drops, then that should probably be reported to the powers that be. You wouldn't want the GameMasters to think you were exploiting anything.

I don't reject my prospects, so I can still view the soccer players from last season. I don't know if there were any CL drops (3/4 are 6/6), but they did age.
I already asked Vlady about it. He said he wasn't sure and it's an interesting thought. Thus, my conscience is clear

Old
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
canucks357

My first 45M payday in soccer. Woooooooooiiiiieeeee! My soccer team now has more OTS and higher sponsors than my hockey team.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:12 AM
canucks357

Going to be selling 3 prominent players this soccer season.

U20 NT LM with 88AQ
20 year old Universal CB, 79EQ, 300 primary
950 OR 19yo 5/6 Universal CM with great Qs

I will hold onto them as long as possible seeing as any injury and they'll be called into action. However, if you're interested make me an offer sooner rather than later so you can get them in early in the season.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:45 AM
suprvilce

I still think that teams in lower leagues in handball should have same sponsors as I.1 teams. Sure salaries for players and staff are slightly lower here (at the beginning barely anyway), which is the only argument for it if i remember. But what about bigger OTR boost? And what about getting more from ticket sales? In 2nd season i'm sure the league level is taken into account when sponsors give offers, but for 1st seasons everyone should have had same sponsors. Now it's too late anyway.

Won both sports today, i'm feeling just a tiny bit better then yesterday. Just barely won in hockey vs low ranked team, ugh that random!!

Old
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
I still think that teams in lower leagues in handball should have same sponsors as I.1 teams. Sure salaries for players and staff are slightly lower here (at the beginning barely anyway), which is the only argument for it if i remember. But what about bigger OTR boost? And what about getting more from ticket sales? In 2nd season i'm sure the league level is taken into account when sponsors give offers, but for 1st seasons everyone should have had same sponsors. Now it's too late anyway.

Won both sports today, i'm feeling just a tiny bit better then yesterday. Just barely won in hockey vs low ranked team, ugh that random!!
Teams in I.1 are never eligible for a promotion bonus or reduced OTR drop. Teams promoting from div3 can get promotion money and 15% OTR drop twice if they go to div1.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Emerald76

Quote:
Teams in I.1 are never eligible for a promotion bonus or reduced OTR drop. Teams promoting from div3 can get promotion money and 15% OTR drop twice if they go to div1.
QFT!

~

Effectively tied up Ireland 1.I today with a win v one of my closest rivals, while THE closest rival was beaten in his match.

It's not mathematically done yet, but the quality of opposition I'll face in the last 3 games make it almost a certainty.

My goal now, having just started my 2nd TC, is to make sure that what happened last season, does not happen again.
For those of you who don't remember my complaining, I won the 1st PO final game 8-1, and lost both away and home in the other 2, narrowly, to lose 1-2, despite being much stronger than my opposition (OTS and energy-wise at the time)

Closed Thread