Dallas Stars 2013 Draft Scouting Reports -- Nichushkin @ #10, Dickinson @ #29

Old
07-03-2013, 03:21 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Speaking of Olympics... There isn't any chance Nichy could make Russia's squad, is there?
That is very interesting. It would be awesome if he does make it. I guess it depends on his play during the first half of the year but my guess would be he doesn't make it. Hopefully I'm wrong

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:23 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis View Post
Is anyone worried about Lindy Ruff's history with young players?

With this being a somewhat potentially fragile situation in terms of managing this young player with so much talent, it may become an issue if Ruff is unable to handle his development correctly.
I am, but I think Nill would step in if he see's that Ruff isn't handling him right so I'm not THAT worried. I would be if Nieuwy was still GM cause I'd doubt he would step in.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB94 View Post
I am, but I think Nill would step in if he see's that Ruff isn't handling him right so I'm not THAT worried. I would be if Nieuwy was still GM cause I'd doubt he would step in.
If Nill has to step in to prevent an issue then thats a major cause for concern already and unless he's fired, the damage may already be done.

I don't buy into the whole he's a bad egg thing with Nichushkin, but I definitely think there is some volatility with this kid, and he needs to be handled correctly.

Dundalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
If Nill has to step in to prevent an issue then thats a major cause for concern already and unless he's fired, the damage may already be done.

I don't buy into the whole he's a bad egg thing with Nichushkin, but I definitely think there is some volatility with this kid, and he needs to be handled correctly.
Agreed, but then I think back to Nill's comments about it not being necessary that a coach was in place before the draft. Which is why I really want to know where we had him on our draft list and what other people we had ready to play right away? And were we going to trade up if we thought we could get an NHL caliber player by doing so?

Ambassador Of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Captain Awesome

I love our shiny new toy as much as the next person, but is there any info whatsoever on those last two picks? The Stars are getting to be dangerously hipsterish with their late draft selections, drafting guys no one has ever heard of. They really epitomized the movement with Sinitsyn, who didn't even really play the year they drafted him. So no one had ever heard of him, and he didn't even play. That's some obscure ****.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:42 AM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Speaking of Olympics... There isn't any chance Nichy could make Russia's squad, is there?
Actually, zero chance at all. There is too much responsibility for the coach. I'm sure he won't take guys of his age or 3-5 years older. The closest age Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are 3,4 years older respectively. I don't think they make NT Russia too.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:46 AM
od71

Quote:

With this being a somewhat potentially fragile situation in terms of managing this young player with so much talent, it may become an issue if Ruff is unable to handle his development correctly.
You are right, that's my biggest concern. Players development depends on a team, on a coach. For example, Malkin was lucky. Pittsburgh was patient, allowed him to grow up as an offensive player. IMO, Nash could have become a better player had he grown in the same system, not in Columbus.

Last edited by od71: 07-03-2013 at 04:55 AM.
od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:47 AM
RastaRockett

Quote:
Who is Ruff going to replace him with that is more reliable?

I think Nich is in a good situation. As long as he commits to a two way game he'll be fine, and it sounds like he is solid on defense. Hell, maybe we should worry about how Ruff likes Benn on defense.

RastaRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:42 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I love our shiny new toy as much as the next person, but is there any info whatsoever on those last two picks? The Stars are getting to be dangerously hipsterish with their late draft selections, drafting guys no one has ever heard of. They really epitomized the movement with Sinitsyn, who didn't even really play the year they drafted him. So no one had ever heard of him, and he didn't even play. That's some obscure ****.
Sinitysyn being a guy who didn't really play in his draft year is ultra obscure but on the whole I don't see anything weird about the recent late round picks. Jokipakka looks like he may be a serviceable NHL player and Stransky might be a fair bit better than serviceable. At that point in the draft a lot of teams are taking their secret guy, it's part of the reason Detroit has Zetterberg; IIRC maybe one or two other teams even saw him play when he was drafted.

Matej Paulovic

Aleksi Mäkelä

All I've got on these two. Looks like our last pick might be an over-ager.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
BigG44

I can't tell if you're trying to be funny?

That last link is for a guy born in 1969 who is a director in Finland.

I gave up on the last two picks. There's no information. I did find the correct link to the 7th rounder's Elite Prospect page, and he put up some solid numbers in U20. He is not an overage player though. Both are 18 years old.

The one additional bit I found on the Slovak is his Swedish team didn't renew his contract, and it claimed a knee injury was part of the reason.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
cmwang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
If Nich turns into Rick Nash I'd be ecstatic. Gotta temper some of the hype here.
I'm with you. Rick Nash is an all-star level player. Can't be disappointed with that.

cmwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

That last link is for a guy born in 1969 who is a director in Finland.

I gave up on the last two picks. There's no information. I did find the correct link to the 7th rounder's Elite Prospect page, and he put up some solid numbers in U20. He is not an overage player though. Both are 18 years old.

The one additional bit I found on the Slovak is his Swedish team didn't renew his contract, and it claimed a knee injury was part of the reason.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksi_Mäkelä_(ice_hockey)

Pretty much nothing on him.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

On the dev. Camp roster Nich has #27

Old
07-03-2013, 09:37 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Aren't they given numbers there though?

If not, that's perfect. Always been my favorite number.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:08 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Apparently you didn't think it was funny.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:

I'm not worried. Ruff had to know what he's stepping into. One look at the roster would tell him that he's going to have to deal with a lot of kids. On top of that, Ruff will not have a lot of options thanks to the roster. If he gets upset with one kid, Ruff's only other option will be playing another kid. He can't bench the kids and still have enough bodies to play.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador Of Fun View Post
Speaking of Nichushkin, are we going to come up with an official nickname? Choosh? Nietzsche?
I am calling him Shoosh.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
This entire last page could be in the OT thread and nothing would be lost.

Let's bring this back on topic:

/swoon
the thread should have ended right here. did we really need anything else?

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Zrhutch

Russian Unicorn sounds good.

Zrhutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:34 AM
BigG44

This is great news. I'm sure the Dallas Stars already were aware of his desire to come to NA.

Quote:
@HuwDBD: Dallas Stars pick Matej Paulovic has been drafted by the Peterbourgh Petes of the OHL in the CHL Import draft 8th overall.
Now we'll finally get to know something about this guy over the next 2 years. He's also going to be playing with Brett Ritchie's highly touted younger brother, IIRC.

Didn't Cody Payne get traded here as well from Plymouth ... or was that to Saginaw?

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Henderson33

Sinitsyn drafted by Regina, I'll be surprised if he leaves the NCAA though, he seems to really value his education.

Henderson33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
I wouldnt read anything into that. Shore has 12, Stransky has 14, Peters has 21, and Morrow has 33 on those rosters. I think they just went away from giving these guys numbers in the 50's and higher.

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Clardz

Quote:
This is great news. I'm sure the Dallas Stars already were aware of his desire to come to NA.

Now we'll finally get to know something about this guy over the next 2 years. He's also going to be playing with Brett Ritchie's highly touted younger brother, IIRC.

Didn't Cody Payne get traded here as well from Plymouth ... or was that to Saginaw?
Saw this in a twitter search as well:
Quote:
@SeanLafortune: Dallas Starts prospect Matej Paulovic goes to Peterborough. Intriguing upside. A bit raw. Can shoot the puck, improving hands.

Clardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

So is that typically just a weak draft, or is 8th overall good for him (and us)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson33 View Post
Sinitsyn drafted by Regina, I'll be surprised if he leaves the NCAA though, he seems to really value his education.
Yea, it'd surprise me as well.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Captain Awesome

I would bet on him leaving, I'm not sure if 16th is a very high pick or not but my guess is the Stars told him he needs playing time and he's going to get drafted into juniors. Usually you don't pick a guy like that in the import draft without knowing if he's coming or not, but at 16th I'm not sure if they're all that worried about it.

Edit: And thanks for digging G, I have no problem with the picks of the last few years, just think it's amazing that in this day and age with the internet and all the information we have that there's still nothing much to be found on these guys. I guess they were unlikely to be scouted by regularly scouting services.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote