HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

Old
07-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I was wondering why Trevor told me to let him know who Windsor took. :-)

Just told me "they will try" to get him to come over next season...'they' being Windsor. :-)
But honestly with Leksands being in the big league....can we really expect that he joined the CHL? For our own viewing pleasure, would be fun. For his development? I have obviously no problem to see him stay over there for 1 year.

Is there any talks between the NHL team and the junior team in that example? Could the Habs joined in the talks with Windsor to convince BOTH to go there? Or are the main team just not involve in any way?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:23 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

It all depends. If he keeps getting pushed down by veterans especially now that Leksand is in the SHL, Windsor isn't a bad place. They'll be competitive and his game should easily fit the CHL.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP 1m
Just got a txt. de La Rose is in play for this year for Spits. So don't rule it out. #Habs should play key role. #CHLImportDraft

I hope he goes. Sure, if he stays in Sweden he plays against men in the SEL (or whatever it's called now, think it's the SHL). But it's likely as a 3rd or 4th liner and on the wing. In Windsor, he'll play top 6, work on his offence and would likely be a center.

Rychel - de la Rose - Ho Sang
Johnson - Vail - the russian kid they also drafted today

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It all depends. If he keeps getting pushed down by veterans especially now that Leksand is in the SHL, Windsor isn't a bad place. They'll be competitive and his game should easily fit the CHL.
It would help his offensive development to play against players his own age IMO. I think he'd get some confidence and the proper minutes playing in Windsor.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Normally I'd say play against men, but we need this guy to develop his offensive game.. so I'd bring him over, he's already a great defensive player, strong enough to play with men.

Come to Windsor.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I think unlike McCarron staying in college, DLR staying in Sweden is not a bad thing for his development. I don't know what are Leksand plan on him for next year (top 6 or not). But if he has the chance to become a top line player in the OHL than why not ?
It's win-win either way.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Part of me wants him to play in the SEL against men, but part of me wants him to play for Windsor so I can see him live numerous times.

07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

Mikaël Lalancette ‏@MLalancette 1m
Warren Rychel espère voir De La Rose à Windsor cette année en travaillant avec le Canadien. "Dans le pire des cas ce sera pour 2014-15."

Warren Rychel hopes to see DLR in Windsor this year and will work with the Habs to make it happen. ''Worst case scenario it will be for 2014-15.''

Old
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
NotProkofievian

I wonder what Leksands roster and free agent situation is like now that they're in the big league. I was under the impression that clubs in the big league have a much higher budget than those in Allsvenskan. Is it reasonable to assume that they'll sign some veterans thereby pushing Jacob even further down the depth chart?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Mikaël Lalancette ‏@MLalancette 1m
Warren Rychel espère voir De La Rose à Windsor cette année en travaillant avec le Canadien. "Dans le pire des cas ce sera pour 2014-15."

Warren Rychel hopes to see DLR in Windsor this year and will work with the Habs to make it happen. ''Worst case scenario it will be for 2014-15.''
I like it.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

He's going to be at the Swedish camp later this summer in Lake Placid. Same for Collberg

Here is the roster

http://www.swehockey.se/ImageVaultFi...aug_2013_u.PDF

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I wonder what Leksands roster and free agent situation is like now that they're in the big league. I was under the impression that clubs in the big league have a much higher budget than those in Allsvenskan. Is it reasonable to assume that they'll sign some veterans thereby pushing Jacob even further down the depth chart?
That's exactly what I said a handful of posts before...

Old
07-03-2013, 12:06 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
That's exactly what I said a handful of posts before...
So it is.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

http://windsorspitfires.com/article/...n-import-draft

Quote:
With the 11th pick of the first round, the club took forward Jacob De La Rose, a 6'2, 190-pound centre. De La Rose, a 1995-born player, skated in 38 games last season with Leksands IF, posting six goals and six assists with 31 penalty minutes.

SCOUTING REPORT

He is an all-around type of forward who can make plays in both ends, and play any of the three forward positions if asked. His best skill is his skating, which one NHL scout described as very good, while another called him an explosive skater. He is a strong, hard-working forward, pressuring defenders well with his speed and physical play. He lays crushing hits on occasion, while showing determination in his own end through his backchecking and shot blocking.

“Jacob is a very good player. He was at the top of our list,” Rychel said. “He is under contract in Leksands for next season, so we have lots of work to do on him in coordination with the Montreal Canadiens. Worst case scenario, he will be done his contract and here for the 2014-15 season.”

Mark Edwards ‏@MarkEdwardsHP now
Was told next year for sure for de La Rose. This year is a tough go but not dead. #Don'tShootTheMessenger

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 07-03-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Dean Ambrose
I AM A MERCENARY

vCash: 133
I think coming over would allow him to develop his offensive game more than it would if he played against men. He'll definitely be a good defensive forward at the NHL level, but he can be more if he developed his offensive game. Bring him over.

I never thought I was a bad person. I just thought I was the one good person living in a world of bad people.
Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Maxpac

If he plays for Windsor, 29 teams will banging their heads against the wall asking themselves why they let him fall to us.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if he goes either route. Will be very interesting if he goes to Windsor though - didn't see it coming.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:13 PM
attackbjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
So it is.
No, I wouldn't say it is. Leksand is looking to add one more forward, making it 16 of them. BUT a few of the guys already in the roster is going to get loaned out/released, according to GM Tommy Salo. Michael Raffl (Flyers) will definitely need to get replaced. It is also likely that Filip Forsberg (Preds) won't play in Leksand next year, so there's another free spot.

I follow both Leksand and Montreal, so IF Jacob stays in Leksand I'll be able to give you guys reports on a regular basis.

attackbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 02:20 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackbjorn View Post
No, I wouldn't say it is. Leksand is looking to add one more forward, making it 16 of them. BUT a few of the guys already in the roster is going to get loaned out/released, according to GM Tommy Salo. Michael Raffl (Flyers) will definitely need to get replaced. It is also likely that Filip Forsberg (Preds) won't play in Leksand next year, so there's another free spot.

I follow both Leksand and Montreal, so IF Jacob stays in Leksand I'll be able to give you guys reports on a regular basis.
Bolded: right on, looking forward to it.

And just a note, "so it is" was meant to convey that I and Deke had said the same thing, and not to conclude that what I, and by extension he, had surmised was indeed reasonable.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackbjorn View Post

The question is whether he will start to be trusted with top 6 minutes and special teams. Also would look forward to your updates should he stay.

Old
07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
attackbjorn

Quote:
The question is whether he will start to be trusted with top 6 minutes and special teams. Also would look forward to your updates should he stay.
It is very hard to tell. The step for a young guy to go from bottom six in the second tier(Allsvenskan), and then a year later play in a top 6 role in SHL (former Elitserien/SEL) is really big. I'm almost certain that JDLR is going to end up playing in the third line, as the roster is almost identical to the one who got promoted, and that he'll also get the chance to kill off a few penalties.

I absolutely think that de la Rose is going to get more ice time by the coaches than Sebastian Collberg (who averaged 10minutes/game) got in Frölunda.

But I'll have to get back to you in about a month when team starts their practices on ice and play some preseason games, before I can promise anything.

attackbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Et le But

For what it's worth I find Swedish players to have a much better track record developing at home than the do in the CHL. But the most obvious exception there is Landeskog....

But the idea of DLR playing as a first liner and working on his offensive game is certainly appealing. Though while he will be a 3rd liner in Sweden, he will have a more consistent role than Collberg has had so far.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
For what it's worth I find Swedish players to have a much better track record developing at home than the do in the CHL. But the most obvious exception there is Landeskog....

But the idea of DLR playing as a first liner and working on his offensive game is certainly appealing. Though while he will be a 3rd liner in Sweden, he will have a more consistent role than Collberg has had so far.
I can see him moving to wing, with some C duties if his offence blossoms. Galchy and Eller seem like our 1-2 punch in the future, and while DLR could easily be a great 3rd line Centre, we have a logjam and if he develops a good scoring touch we'd be wasting him in the bottom 6. It will probably come down to who is on the team if/when he makes the jump.

Plek
Eller
DD
Galch
Pac
Gally
McCarron
Collberg
Leblanc
DLR
Bozon
Hudon
etc

That's already a big feild of competition. Some players like Plek might be gone but it could be very hard for him to crack the top6 as a C. That being said, this is a great problem for us to have

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
I can see him moving to wing, with some C duties if his offence blossoms. Galchy and Eller seem like our 1-2 punch in the future, and while DLR could easily be a great 3rd line Centre, we have a logjam and if he develops a good scoring touch we'd be wasting him in the bottom 6. It will probably come down to who is on the team if/when he makes the jump.

Plek
Eller
DD
Galch
Pac
Gally
McCarron
Collberg
Leblanc
DLR
Bozon
Hudon
etc

That's already a big feild of competition. Some players like Plek might be gone but it could be very hard for him to crack the top6 as a C. That being said, this is a great problem for us to have
He's definitely played more wing than center lately, and wing is really the best chance he has of developing into a top 6 player. I think his skillset is better suited to the wing in general, his hands are by no mean bad but I just don't see him as a primary puck handler.

The Eller, Collberg, De La Rose "Scandinavian line" could be really appealing of Collberg and DLR live up to their potential, obviously it's still a while away but it's nice to dream about.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:42 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Went with 50-60. But It depends on his PP time, and what line he is on. I hope regardless he plays tons on the PP. Not only for his development, but because he's one of our best passers, has great vision and frankly we need to be better down low on the PP.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote