HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs trade Danny Kristo to NYR for Christian Thomas

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I think five development years is giving Kristo more than enough chance at fixing his character and training issues.
True. It was and is a problem. Not sure if every NHL player is perfect, I know he surely isn't. Doesn't mean he doesn't have qualities.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:13 AM
NotProkofievian

A certain amount of improvement is to be expected from year to year, just based on the fact that he'd be more physically mature, and more experienced. But am I wrong in saying that he really didn't take a big step forward between his 3rd and 4th years in any respect? What part of his game greatly improved in that time?

I think habs brass decided to cut ties with an athlete who wasn't prepared to dedicate the time necessary to make real progress in his game, before he reduced his value to nothing.

In any case, I'm perfectly happy to see what Christian can do for us.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:21 AM
mlandry

We drafted Kristo in what, 2008? He wasn't coming anywhere near the Habs. Why is everyone getting so pissy about this trade?

"WHAT! WE LOST AN OVERRATED PROSPECT THAT NEVER PLAYED IN THE NHL IN 5 YEARS?!!? BURN IT ALL!"

Old
07-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
We drafted Kristo in what, 2008? He wasn't coming anywhere near the Habs. Why is everyone getting so pissy about this trade?

"WHAT! WE LOST AN OVERRATED PROSPECT THAT NEVER PLAYED IN THE NHL IN 5 YEARS?!!? BURN IT ALL!"
Seriously never have been a fan of his... always looked to me like a one trick pony who evolved a bit. But there isnt any big achievement for a 2nd rounder after 4 years at college and being 22yo nominated for player of the year.. i always tought he was wasting his timme in college.. + all the stories that came out... not thrilled in the return (based on stats mostly and size) but ill trust Bergevin on this one

Old
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

The whole midget thing... I'm getting freakin tired of it. If the guy is 5"11/6"0 it's all good but if he's 5"9 it's the end of the ********** world. The difference between 5"9 and 6"0 is 3". That's half of a 6" subway sandwich ffs!!! What freakin difference does it make on the ice? If the guy's strong on his skates, size has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Size is just a stat people use to judge when it's not even that important. Sure if one guy is 6"3 going in the corner with a say 5"7 guy, we all think the bigger guy has an advantage, but honestly, what does 7 inches make of a difference? I think the one that will win the battle will be the strongest one! This isn't basketball , height isn't that much of a factor.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally and Chucky View Post
The whole midget thing... I'm getting freakin tired of it. If the guy is 5"11/6"0 it's all good but if he's 5"9 it's the end of the ********** world. The difference between 5"9 and 6"0 is 3". That's half of a 6" subway sandwich ffs!!! What freakin difference does it make on the ice? If the guy's strong on his skates, size has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Size is just a stat people use to judge when it's not even that important. Sure if one guy is 6"3 going in the corner with a say 5"7 guy, we all think the bigger guy has an advantage, but honestly, what does 7 inches make of a difference? I think the one that will win the battle will be the strongest one! This isn't basketball , height isn't that much of a factor.
I keep telling my wife that 2 inches isn't the end of the world but she just doesn't believe me....

Old
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't agree that size is the be-all, end-all either, but you discount the main advantage that tall players have, which is reach. Taller players generally have much longer reaches, allowing them to get to the puck faster and cover more of the ice.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I keep telling my wife that 2 inches isn't the end of the world but she just doesn't believe me....
With a name like Whitesnake, I knew you had to be compensating for something.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Gally and Chucky
No Excuses

Quote:
Zing!

Old
07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
ya but 2 inches extra on something that is already 2 inches is DOUBLE the size.

2 inches on someone who is 5'9 ... well that's not a lot man!

Old
07-03-2013, 12:00 PM
CN_paladin

I heard from someone who knows Kristo that he has always been some crazy party animal and almost had to get his toes chopped off because of the frostbite a couple of years ago.

That's not the type of dedicated player Bergevin wants IMHO.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
bud12

habs next tough guy

Old
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
S Bah

Quote:
No need to worry anymore Bergevin has drafted some players that will slip into the lineup and give the team protection and score as well. Now size won't matter because the Habs will have sizable forwards and defencemen to balance the lineup. Well not right away but in 3-4 yrs. maybe get Brad Staubitz back he can skate play the wing and defend his teammates.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The biggest issue is not Kristo.

The issue is that this trade does zero for the season that starts in a few months. Trading a pawn for a pawn is useless. We could have used that pawn to add to another piece to get a piece that we are missing on the team right now.

Bergevin sucks at chess.
thats the point my friend

get an asset that makes sense for us

you cant have 2 midgets on your top 6 and win come playoff time

get a second like our other deals , put him in a package

I bet he never shopped him and we do the obvious all the time , just dump a player when an issue arises

look at the Cammy deal , at least we got a big capable body on the top 9 and much needed size in Bourque , and a second

I cant belive for a second other teams wouldnt up the Ranger deal

even a prospect at the same level as Danny but bigger , a role player on the bottom 6 or or a big D who can play on the bottom 6 would of made more sense than this

nothing against Thomas not what we need

Old
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Laboeuf

Am I the only one who thinks Thomas is better than Kristo? People are comparing Kristo to Mcdonagh because???? They are both American? Christian Thomas is the son of Steve Thomas, who was a hell of a player. If the younger can be like his dad, we got a gem. At 5'9" 170lbs he's the same size as Gallagher, heck Patrick Kane is 5'9" and people think highly of him. I don't mind small wingers but at center you need a big skilled, not Desharnais.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
AntonCH

Its not about the little guy
Its about the guys you get to play with the little guy

Look how well DD did when he was paired with Max and Cole

There's nothing wrong with having a sub 6' sniper, just ask Chicago.
Just build accordingly

Old
07-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Laboeuf

exactly, Detroit has so many little guys but they can play.

another note, we shouldn't compare Mcdonagh to Kristo, its like apples and oranges,
McD didn't dominate in college but he was superb in the NHL. Kristo I see his career along the line of Blake Geoffrion. Both dominate college but have harder time with pro.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
That Habs Fan
drive for 25's alive

vCash: 400
The more time I have to think about it the more I don't mind this deal.

Too early to say I love or hate it, but the sting of losing a player we waited so long for and had hopes for is fading.

Being the son of Steve Thomas bodes well for Chris too, much as we may hate to admit it, Stumpy was great.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:46 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Don't get your knickers in a not people.

Thomas is younger that Kristo and further along in his development. He's already had a decent first pro season, finishing 4th in team scoring for the Whale.

Kristo has had a number of run ins with the law during his college career - all alcohol related. Where there's smoke there's fire. Bergevin and company clearly did some homework and decided to move the kid. In return, they get a kid with NHL pedigree. Christian shoots the puck like his dad did too.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post

That's why people are a little mad right now. They waited (I waited!) 5 years to see Kristo play at least one game with the Canadiens but we never got that chance. I don't think he was overrated. His last two seasons in the NCAA were great.

He never played in the NHL during the last 5 years because he wanted to finish his degree in college. Now that he had finished, we were waiting for him but Bergevin decided otherwise...Thomas is younger than Kristo and already has one full season in the AHL, he has more professional experience than him.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Thomas is better than Kristo? People are comparing Kristo to Mcdonagh because???? They are both American? Christian Thomas is the son of Steve Thomas, who was a hell of a player. If the younger can be like his dad, we got a gem. At 5'9" 170lbs he's the same size as Gallagher, heck Patrick Kane is 5'9" and people think highly of him. I don't mind small wingers but at center you need a big skilled, not Desharnais.
This is exactly right and Christian is the same breed as Gallagher and P.Kane IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahabsfanfromtoronto View Post
The more time I have to think about it the more I don't mind this deal.

Too early to say I love or hate it, but the sting of losing a player we waited so long for and had hopes for is fading.

Being the son of Steve Thomas bodes well for Chris too, much as we may hate to admit it, Stumpy was great.
I feel that like Conacher last season the Habs have Thomas, don't be surprised if Christian get's a callup next season and performs really well.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:28 PM
greyboy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
but i want to pontificate and get my panties all in a bunch now!
There are so many great opportunities for panty-bunching on this board. It's not like we have anything important to do with our time!

Pontificate away!

Old
07-03-2013, 01:35 PM
greyboy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
ya but 2 inches extra on something that is already 2 inches is DOUBLE the size.

2 inches on someone who is 5'9 ... well that's not a lot man!

I really hate this "smurfication" of people under 5' 10". I always thought I was of average height at 5' 9" but years on this board have convinced me that I'm woefully deficient.

Fortunately it never seemed to bother the attractive ladies I've courted over the years. (Is there a +/- for that kind of thing?)

Old
07-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
That's why people are a little mad right now. They waited (I waited!) 5 years to see Kristo play at least one game with the Canadiens but we never got that chance. I don't think he was overrated. His last two seasons in the NCAA were great.
I want my money back!!!!!!!!!! I was a member of the North Dakota website for the past 3 years, paying to watch mostly Kristo play. Then came MacMillan but Kristo was my main focus.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:40 PM
greyboy67

Quote:
I want my money back!!!!!!!!!! I was a member of the North Dakota website for the past 3 years, paying to watch mostly Kristo play. Then came MacMillan but Kristo was my main focus.
Class-action suit against the Canadiens?

Closed Thread