HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards' future on the NYR

View Poll Results: Keep or Buyout?
Retain his services 16 12.21%
Exercise the buyout 115 87.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-02-2013, 07:26 PM
  #51
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Richie will do fine this season
If fine is 20 good games, 60+ atrocious, I completely agree.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 09:20 PM
  #52
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
What about a twist, what if Richards struggles again for most of the year and scores the GWG in game 7 of OT in the SCF? Would he still get bought out? Would the media pressure force Richards to stay in NY?

I can't recall of many teams keeping a notoriously overpaid player coming off of a terrible season. Chelsea did it based on this one play by Torres:


Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:37 AM
  #53
iamitter
Thornton's Hen
 
iamitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What about a twist, what if Richards struggles again for most of the year and scores the GWG in game 7 of OT in the SCF? Would he still get bought out? Would the media pressure force Richards to stay in NY?

I can't recall of many teams keeping a notoriously overpaid player coming off of a terrible season. Chelsea did it based on this one play by Torres:

In that case, media pressure or not, I think he gets bought out.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
  #54
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Speaking purely theoretically, what would it take for the NYR (barring an injury) to retain Richards' services after next year.
It'll take an idiotic GM who does not know how to use his cap space effectively.

Uh oh...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  #55
OrbitalDynamics
787
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft JFK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
  #56
M Gaz
Drink to me
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Sad Brad

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:21 AM
  #57
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
If Richards is still on a rapid decline next season I think the question becomes how long do we allow him to play, not be productive & risk an injury that could prevent us from buying him out. Making him a healthy scratch day in & day out wouldn't be good for the team. He would have to be sent home.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:37 AM
  #58
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
If Richards is still on a rapid decline next season I think the question becomes how long do we allow him to play, not be productive & risk an injury that could prevent us from buying him out. Making him a healthy scratch day in & day out wouldn't be good for the team. He would have to be sent home.
I could certainly picture a scenario where this would happen...and what a wonderful use that would be of more than 10% of our entire 2013-14 cap space.

The risk/reward ratio of bringing Richards back for another year is so bad it makes you question Sather's sanity. This is the kind of decision that can set the organization back years...again.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 10:42 AM
  #59
tjs252
Registered User
 
tjs252's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
I think the numbers thrown around to star players by teams up against the cap post CBA make Richards' retention next year possible if he returns to 90+ point form (not crazy if he'll be in a more open system with Nash and Zuccarello).

I'd say it's still overwhelmingly likely he'll be bought out, but a rebound is inevitable and after the landscape settles on what a star is worth in the new CBA we'll have a better idea.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 11:55 AM
  #60
OrbitalDynamics
787
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft JFK
Country: United States
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
The luck this team has, this mope will trip over his clown shoes on the first day of camp, suffer a season ending 'Body Injury' that will render him unable to be bought out.

At that point the board will suffer a catastrophic coolant loss and runaway reaction.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
  #61
UlfSamuelsson
Save By Lundqvist!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 88
vCash: 493
Let me preface this by saying that I really like brad. My jaw dropped when he became a ranger. 2011/2012 he had some really impressive goals (Phoenix, Wash). But this last year was inexcusable.

-First thing I noticed this year was his skating. Sluggish would be putting it nicely. I, like many, chalked it up to the lockout. Couldn't keep up with anyone, let alone thru or past them
-it looked like he was an aging player who did NO offseason training at all
-His blind passes to the opposing team were infuriating. Turnovers happen, but it seemed like everytime he had the puck on a scoring chance, automatic turnover.
-While his points weren't terrible for half season/lockout, most of them were secondary assists and goals against BAD teams. Last 10-15 game sample should reveal his most points against non playoff teams, some arguably fighting for first overall pick.
-Scouts said 'I've never seen someone's legs leave them so quickly, but brads are gone'
-In conjunction with the MASSIVE cap hit we take of he doesn't finish out in The final years, he should already be someone else's reclamation.
-he even said he wanted to go to Dallas if bought out. I never heard another player give a hypothetical until after it was announced.
-sorry brad, but the body usually dictates a players end before the mind, you're no exception.

UlfSamuelsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
  #62
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
The luck this team has, this mope will trip over his clown shoes on the first day of camp, suffer a season ending 'Body Injury' that will render him unable to be bought out.

At that point the board will suffer a catastrophic coolant loss and runaway reaction.
The Rangers have a habit of inviting bad luck - this would be par for the course.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:00 PM
  #63
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,933
vCash: 500
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/
Quote:
“There were lots of factors,” Sather said. “He’s been a good player. He had an off year and we think he’ll be much better next year. That’s probably the deciding factor.”
Very disheartening to hear that.

Off year? Has he been watching this guy play since his concussion in Dallas?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
  #64
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
I think the numbers thrown around to star players by teams up against the cap post CBA make Richards' retention next year possible if he returns to 90+ point form (not crazy if he'll be in a more open system with Nash and Zuccarello).
Sigh. Sorry to pull you out of the crowd but this has been bothering me for a while. Richards is not a "90+ point" guy. He's always been a 20-25 goal scorer. That's a given. He hit 91 points twice in 15 seasons. First in a powerplay-laden 2005 season while dishing the puck to prime Vinny Lecavalier and prime Martin St. Louis. Last in a 2009 season with James Neal and Louis Eriksson. That was Eriksson's career year.

I won't call those two seasons outliers because everyone has career years, but Richards has otherwise been a 60-70 point guy. 25 goals. 40 assists. And this in his youthful years. He's 33 now. Is Richards going to get 60-70 assists dishing the puck to Nash and Zuccarello? I'll eat my hat if he does.


Last edited by Crease: 07-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:41 PM
  #65
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,730
vCash: 500
The new CBA made it a guarantee that Richards would be bought out regardless of how he plays.

Sather has never had an issue cutting ties with players. Surprising for a guy with a massive ego.

And the cap people know what's what.

I think Richards comes into camp knowing he is playing for a contract. Which means he comes into camp in shape. That alone should make him better.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  #66
Off Sides
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 991
vCash: 809
I'd be surprised to see Richards get more than 60 points next season. It's possible, but in order to do it he is going to have to take minutes away from both Stepan and Brassard on both the power play and in offensive situations. He'll also have to have the most talented wings the team has flanking him, leaving the lesser talented wings for the other centers.

Off Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:52 PM
  #67
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Very disheartening to hear that.

Off year? Has he been watching this guy play since his concussion in Dallas?
I remember Sather said something similar about Redden.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:58 PM
  #68
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Does anyone think it's possible Sather went to Dolan telling him he wanted to buy Richards out, and Dolan said no? Difficult to believe, since Dolan was ok with Sather throwing Dolan's hard-earned (BWAAAAAA! ) money away on the Wade Redden buy out, but who knows. Dolan has been known to be impulsive and impetuous in his business dealings.

I personally think that's a stretch, but I cannot for the life of me imagine why Sather would keep Richards and his cap hit around for another year. Makes zero sense.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  #69
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Does anyone think it's possible Sather went to Dolan telling him he wanted to buy Richards out, and Dolan said no? Difficult to believe, since Dolan was ok with Sather throwing Dolan's hard-earned (BWAAAAAA! ) money away on the Wade Redden buy out, but who knows. Dolan has been known to be impulsive and impetuous in his business dealings.

I personally think that's a stretch, but I cannot for the life of me imagine why Sather would keep Richards and his cap hit around for another year. Makes zero sense.
Dolan: Who is going to replace Richards? We need to sell his jerseys and tickets to Boxes, you know that.
Sather:
We have a few kids coming up next season. J.T. played well, you know, some other could be used. We could work something out. The guy turned out to be a burden..
Dolan: All I know is what you told me when we signed him - Richards is a superstar. Make him that again, so we could continue to sell tickets and jerseys. And don't bother me with proposals like that. No.


Last edited by 94now: 07-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
  #70
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Speaking purely theoretically, what would it take for the NYR (barring an injury) to retain Richards' services after next year.

Let's say he plays 79 games in the regular season and puts up 24 goals and 61 assists for 85 points. The Rangers go top 5 on the PP and Richards leads the team with 36 PPP. He puts up 17 points in 23 games in the playoffs and we lose in the Finals. Do you retain his services, or exercise the compliance buyout?

Some things to keep in mind:

At the end of Richards' contract, when he's 39-40, assuming the same growth it has shown thus far, the cap will be at 90ish million. His cap hit with that kind of cap would be equivalent to around 4.8 million at the time he signed his contract.
Horton and Clarkson look like they'll be making 6-6.5 million this year. Richards' cap hit is only slightly above that.
The current contract for stars looks to be around 8.5 million for 8 years. It's likely we see cap hits in the 9+ range very soon.

If you think we should keep him in this scenario, what kind of season would be required of him for you to not use the buyout? Where is the threshold?
Not only is it too risky to not buy him out next year, I consider it too risky to not buy him out NOW.

I'm not sure it would fly but if Dolan did another Redden with Richards, insisted he suit up, not play for AHL team, would that be enough for Richards to approach Rangers about he the player voluntarily agreeing to quit the contract - for half.

Unless some scenario along those lines can be played with a reasonable basis of possible success, the buyout should be immediate.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
  #71
Green Blob*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,257
vCash: 500
Was 100% for keeping him this season, but he HAS to be bought out next season, there is no way he stays, even if he puts up 80 points. We need the cap room for next year and he is going to decline big time the second half of his contract.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 09:11 PM
  #72
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,790
vCash: 500
This is turning into a boring offseason, and I blame it all on Richards. Imagine the nice trades we would be seeing if he was gone.

You can't do anything right Brad!

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
  #73
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
Was 100% for keeping him this season, but he HAS to be bought out next season, there is no way he stays, even if he puts up 80 points. We need the cap room for next year and he is going to decline big time the second half of his contract.
we dont need the cap room. cap will go up to 70 mil+.

we'll have plenty of space.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:40 AM
  #74
azaloum90
Registered User
 
azaloum90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The coop!
Posts: 2,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Sides View Post
I'd be surprised to see Richards get more than 60 points next season. It's possible, but in order to do it he is going to have to take minutes away from both Stepan and Brassard on both the power play and in offensive situations. He'll also have to have the most talented wings the team has flanking him, leaving the lesser talented wings for the other centers.
That is totally fine by me. Torts seemed to spend alot of time "getting Brad going" by giving him prime minutes until the last 15-18 games last season. We lost alot of opportunity because of Brad not being ready to go, which I think was both mental (meaning both on the ice and in the locker room) as well as physical (seriously out of shape with no legs left). Let Brad EARN his ice time... He should never have been spoon fed his ice time like Torts did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Dolan: Who is going to replace Richards? We need to sell his jerseys and tickets to Boxes, you know that.
Sather:
We have a few kids coming up next season. J.T. played well, you know, some other could be used. We could work something out. The guy turned out to be a burden..
Dolan: All I know is what you told me when we signed him - Richards is a superstar. Make him that again, so we could continue to sell tickets and jerseys. And don't bother me with proposals like that. No.
I LOL'd. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
we dont need the cap room. cap will go up to 70 mil+.

we'll have plenty of space.

This is true. Cap will hit 70M for 13-14, and probably 73-75M for 14-15. Richards at those respective years will be taking 9.5% of cap for 13-14, and 8.9% of cap for 14-15. If he can continuously bring 60-70 points to the table, he is worth keeping, even with that albatross of a contract. A solid hockey mind and a good locker room leader is worth it, even if he isn't a 100 point player.

If he CANNOT, however, then he needs to be bought out. Briere had 48 points in 48 games last season, and was signed for 6.5M per season (very, very close to Richards, although Flyers offense is definitely better than the Rangers). His new contract after buyout is 2M per year........ 2M PER YEAR... 1/3 OF RICHARDS CAP HIT... That's a serious issue on Richards performance, given that Briere is OLDER than him, and yet out producing him by a very large margin.

azaloum90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 01:48 AM
  #75
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What about a twist, what if Richards struggles again for most of the year and scores the GWG in game 7 of OT in the SCF? Would he still get bought out? Would the media pressure force Richards to stay in NY?

I can't recall of many teams keeping a notoriously overpaid player coming off of a terrible season. Chelsea did it based on this one play by Torres:

There's almost nothing besides a hart trophy caliber season that could prevent Richards from being bought out. For all intents and purposes I hope Sather was right and it was just a down year. Personally I can't say I'm that disappointed that Richards wasn't bought out simply because I have his jersey and I usually have bad jersey luck lol but this gives him another chance.

I hope Richards can bounce back. His problems were mostly mental last year which was honestly so strange. I think he'll be FAR more relaxed with AV. That guy knows how to coach his stars that's for sure. No excuses next year. On that note I'm really rooting for you Richie.

KingWantsCup is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.