HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy/2013 Offseason Thread: Part VII: OMGZZZ SATHER DO SOMETHING

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
kingnashty61*

vCash: 500
do you guys think there is any chance on rangers ever trading for tj oshie? i think him and cally on the same line would be crazyyyyyy

Old
07-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
NSH's Sergei Kostistyn also on unconditional waivers but it could be for mutually agreed to termination of contract as opposed to buyout.

nuff said

Old
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
A 3rd line center should be able to defend at an NHL level
He isn't THAT bad defensively. Stepan is, for sure, the best defensive center on the team.

Old
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
They didn't keep his contract to be a 3c if they did they are absolute morons
Ding ding ding ding!! We have a winner!!

07-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnashty61 View Post
do you guys think there is any chance on rangers ever trading for tj oshie? i think him and cally on the same line would be crazyyyyyy
Maybe if the Rangers give Staal in return.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
What are your proposed (but realistic) bottom 2 lines?
The lineup looks more like something like this:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Richards-Brassard-Callahan
?????-?????-Zuccarello
Pyatt/Dorsett-Boyle/Powe-Dorsett/Asham

Some of the top-6 is obviously interchangeable and we will see where Richards slots into the lineup. I'm not including Kreider because I'm not yet convinced he's ready.

But we don't have any 3rd liners. Could Kreider push, say, Hagelin to the third line? Sure. Could Zuccarello and Callahan switch? Maybe. Will Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, or Miller make the team? Could be. I'd rather bring in someone like Raymond or MacArthur and see how it goes and let a kid beat them in camp than go with what we've got.

My point was initially this, though, with the qualifier added. Our 4th line is fine, provided we bring in a legitimate 3rd liner or two.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
NYR Viper

Richards is not going to play wing. He will be a center.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He isn't THAT bad defensively. Stepan is, for sure, the best defensive center on the team.
Really? Richards can't play defense anymore. He is a terrible defensive player now with his lack of foot speed mostly.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Richards is not going to play wing. He will be a center.
I don't think we have any idea how this is going to work, wrt how our 3 centers play out on the roster.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM
kingnashty61*

Quote:
Maybe if the Rangers give Staal in return.
lol no way man, oshie is good but not THAT good... Staal back in form is a top 2 dman... i say mdz and krieder/miller

Old
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I don't think we have any idea how this is going to work, wrt how our 3 centers play out on the roster.
Having 3 scoring centers and one shutdown line is absolutely fine in theory. Two problems: Richards currently sucks, and we dont have the pieces to form a 4th line that can take a heavy workload.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
The lineup looks more like something like this:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Richards-Brassard-Callahan
?????-?????-Zuccarello
Pyatt/Dorsett-Boyle/Powe-Dorsett/Asham

Some of the top-6 is obviously interchangeable and we will see where Richards slots into the lineup. I'm not including Kreider because I'm not yet convinced he's ready.

But we don't have any 3rd liners. Could Kreider push, say, Hagelin to the third line? Sure. Could Zuccarello and Callahan switch? Maybe. Will Lindberg, Fast, Kristo, or Miller make the team? Could be. I'd rather bring in someone like Raymond or MacArthur and see how it goes and let a kid beat them in camp than go with what we've got.

My point was initially this, though, with the qualifier added. Our 4th line is fine, provided we bring in a legitimate 3rd liner or two.
I don't qualify that as a good 4th line. Same problem as last year with lack of speed and skill in the bottom 6.

I got this idea from Machinehead, but for the most part, the 4th line the past few years has been playing like cavemen.

"Hit opposition, kill carabou, hit woman over head and drag her back to cave, hit moar of the opposition, no care if take penalties, no offensive chances or slow footspeed , just hit opposition."

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Having 3 scoring centers and one shutdown line is absolutely fine in theory. Two problems: Richards currently sucks, and we dont have the pieces to form a 4th line that can take a heavy workload.
Richards did happen to look his best last season as the 3C, because he wasn't matched up against other teams best D anymore.

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

LA wanted Brad Richards to play LW when they tried to sign him two years ago. Put him on the left wing.

Briere doesn't have the Islanders as one of his finalists. The Devils are one of his final teams. He is supposed to decide in the next few days.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

Old
07-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
I don't qualify that as a good 4th line. Same problem as last year with lack of speed and skill in the bottom 6.

I got this idea from Machinehead, but for the most part, the 4th line the past few years has been playing like cavemen.

"Hit opposition, kill carabou, hit woman over head and drag her back to cave, hit moar of the opposition, no care if take penalties, no offensive chances or slow back on defense , just hit opposition."
I think you're referring to the 3rd line, because we haven't had a legimate 4th line playing like a 4th line since... maybe Craig MacTavish was still here? I mean, Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko would be a very good 4th line too... but they were our 3rd line.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:58 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
One free agent #CBJ are definitely pursuing is Nathan Horton, formerly of Boston.
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...00123282051073

Horton wants to play in a non-hockey market. Somewhere more quiet than Boston. Somewhere like Miami-Ft.Lauderdale where played for the Panthers. Horton is visiting a team today.

Columbus wants to add more offense.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...00123282051073

Horton wants to play in a non-hockey market. Somewhere more quiet than Boston. Somewhere like Miami-Ft.Lauderdale where played for the Panthers. Horton is visiting a team today.

Columbus wants to add more offense.
Even without Horton, Columbus is going to give our new division more problems than I think most people are expecting.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Quote:
Richards did happen to look his best last season as the 3C, because he wasn't matched up against other teams best D anymore.
Thats why I prefer a top 9 and a bttom 3 rather than splitting them in halves, because it creates a matchup nghtmare. Most good teams roll 3 lines that can score. I just question if we have the pieces to do it.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
alkurtz

Interesting to try to visualize our third line, especially if we try to shoehorn it into the traditional "template" for what a third line should be: extremely responsible defensively, able to check the other team's top line, able to contribute offensively to the tune of 50 goals or so (collectively) over the course of a season.

But, we all have seen how templates that look so good on paper and in July break down during the demands of a season. Lines and personnel get shuffled and you end up guys with more offensive ability or guys more suited to a 4th line get slotted in. In today's NHL you seen to rarely have a third line whose job is to check the opponents top line. 3rd lines get less ice time than first or second line. That would not be the case if they get major ice time in checking situations and you wouldn't want that anyway as it cuts down on the ice time of your top offensive players.

But, for the sake of argument and using our current personnel, what players would constitute a legit., traditional 3rd line? It's not easy if you think of it in this way. The center I keep coming back to, and based on what I've read of him, is Lindberg. One of the wingers is Miller. The other? I have no clue. Kreider would be misplaced there. Not the place for MZA. Hagelin is more suited to using his speed higher up in the lineup.

So, unless people grow into roles or new players acquired, we could end up with a similar situation to what we had the last two years, and that is not good: two top lines and two 4th lines. As I've said before, finding legit. third line players almost seems more difficult that finding first liners.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnashty61 View Post
lol no way man, oshie is good but not THAT good... Staal back in form is a top 2 dman... i say mdz and krieder/miller
Might be steep prices to give for Oshie, but I doubt the Blues are interested in that package. They don't really need a LH dman anymore the day they acquired both JayBo and Leopold. MDZ serves no purpose to them anymore and Kreider is a big downgrade on Oshie. They're a team trying to win-now too.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Even without Horton, Columbus is going to give our new division more problems than I think most people are expecting.
ex Ranger Dubinsky Gaborik Erixon Tyutin or Anisimov hat trick vs Rangers will happen when??

Old
07-03-2013, 03:01 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Thats why I prefer a top 9 and a bttom 3 rather than splitting them in halves, because it creates a matchup nghtmare. Most good teams roll 3 lines that can score. I just question if we have the pieces to do it.
Well, is Richards really a worse player than, say, Rich Peverley? I don't think he is, but you need a strong defensive presence on the line. The Bruins had that best when they shifted Peverley to the wing and put him with Kelly. We need more players who can fill that role.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think you're referring to the 3rd line, because we haven't had a legimate 4th line playing like a 4th line since... maybe Craig MacTavish was still here? I mean, Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko would be a very good 4th line too... but they were our 3rd line.
Speaks of the lack of depth provided over the years. Still a graving issue to this day.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
ex Ranger Dubinsky Gaborik Erixon Tyutin or Anisimov hat trick vs Rangers will happen when??
Don't forget RJ Umberger

Columbus' D group is pretty damn solid, though.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:04 PM
kingnashty61*

Quote:
Might be steep prices to give for Oshie, but I doubt the Blues are interested in that package. They don't really need a LH dman anymore the day they acquired both JayBo and Leopold. MDZ serves no purpose to them anymore and Kreider is a big downgrade on Oshie. They're a team trying to win-now too.
i see...probably would have to add hagelin in the deal some how

Closed Thread